Author Topic: New Zealand vs. Oz: which is better?  (Read 19358 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
New Zealand vs. Oz: which is better?
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
I vote NZ; better standard of living and no poisonous creatures.
I hate the State.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
Re: New Zealand vs. Oz: which is better?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
 8)
P

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
NZ - Hot Afro n Latin Women

:P

CC973

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »
NZ

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »
OZ they have these fucking things

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
I vote NZ; better standard of living and no poisonous creatures.

According to the "Human Development Index" Australia is ranked 2nd in the world and NZ is ranked 20th. The human development index is "composed from data on life expectancy, education and per-capita GDP (as an indicator of standard of living)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

Why do so many NZers move to Australia if NZ is so good?  ;)

Human Deaths in Australia Between 1980-1990, Inclusive (from Stevens & Paxton, 1992)

Cause of Death                   Total Deaths        Average per year

Crocodile Attacks                  8                      0.7
Shark Attacks                      11                     1.0
Lightning Strikes                   19                     1.7
Bee Stings                           20                     1.8
Scuba Diving Accidents          88                     8.0
Drownings/Submersions          3,367                306
Motor Vehicle Accidents         32,772               2,979

No deaths by Spider bites?

In Australia, only male Sydney Funnel Web Spiders and Redback Spiders have caused human deaths, but none have occurred since anti venoms were made available in 1981. Each year in Australia as many as 4,000 people are bitten. Of these 200 require anti venom treatment and one bite was fatal.

No deaths from Snake bites?

Less than eight presumably. You should also bear in mind that some of the snake attacks would be of people who handle snakes, keep them as pets or other wise live in close proximity to the beasties. In the extremely unlikely event you are bitten or witness someone else being bitten, do not try to attack the snake as it moves faster then you do and will probably have another go. More people die worrying about snakes (‘I think I saw a snake’, heartache –thud) than actually get bitten by them - just a thought.

HTH

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:21:05 PM »
My mum is from New Zealand and I grew up in Australia, but spent plenty of time in NZ as well.

"Better" is hard to define.

People are friendly in both places, but that has changed a lot in recent years in Oz, as more and more people are killing themselves to lead lifestyles they've been led to believe they have to have. Kiwi's are in general a lot more innocent than Aussies in their personalities.

Jobs are shit in NZ and things cost a lot more than you would expect. Prices have jumped a shitload in Oz in the past couple of years too, but the economy still seems to be ticking along. It will crash eventually - it has to - and Australia won't be prepared. A lot of people living in credit in my homeland. Housing is expensive in both places - much harder to find in Oz I think. There is an incredible housing shortage right now. Real estate agents hold auctions for rental properties in my hometown of Melbourne, that's how bad it is.

Yes - Australia has poisonous bitey things that are just waiting to get you. If they don't, the big bastard bitey things will get you instead.

New Zealand has some sheep and large blowflies.

Both countries are stunning. It's often a lot harder to get to see the nice bits in Oz because it's such a big country. New Zealand is a lot more compact.

Women are easy in both places - tend to be a little more princessy and privileged in Oz and uglier in NZ. Both countries have become East Asian melting pots in the last decade - lots of HAPA's in Oz and Asian, Euro, Polynesian mixes in NZ. If you're not happy to accept living with lots of Asian people, the major cities in either country are not for you. Night life is better in the Oz big cities from what Ive seen. International sporting events better in Oz.

I live in Germany now - which has it's own challenges. No killer animals, just lots of rules, regulations and very stiff people who can't laugh.

If I was to choose - I'd pick Australia if I was going to start from scratch and get a job and buy a home. If i was near the end of my working life I'd probably choose NZ.

Prototype

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »

Yes - Australia has poisonous bitey things that are just waiting to get you. If they don't, the big bastard bitey things will get you instead.

Women are easy in both places - tend to be a little more princessy and privileged in Oz and uglier in NZ. Both countries have become East Asian melting pots in the last decade - lots of HAPA's in Oz and Asian, Euro, Polynesian mixes in NZ.

What is a HAPA? I haven't heard that term.

I was in Darwin in the top end of Australia watching a TV show 'most dangerous creatures' and they all seem to live in that area I was in. All sorts of spiders, snakes, salt water crocodiles, sharks, stonefish, and jellyfish. I didn't see any but I was a bit worried. The beach was beautiful but you couldn't go swimming because of the high posiblility of encountering a salt water croc or devastatingly painful stinging jellyfish. Apparently there's one that stings you and you barely notice it but then 12 hours later you are writhing in agony which goes on for 24 - 48 hours. You get used to the pain for a minute and then the pain ramps up. You get used to that and it ramps up again. I was hoping it was just a made up thing like a drop bear.

I live Melbourne down the bottom, I live right next to a national park and I've never encounterd anything remotely dangerous.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 02:21:32 AM »
My mum is from New Zealand and I grew up in Australia, but spent plenty of time in NZ as well.

People are friendly in both places, but that has changed a lot in recent years in Oz, as more and more people are killing themselves to lead lifestyles they've been led to believe they have to have. Kiwi's are in general a lot more innocent than Aussies in their personalities.

Jobs are shit in NZ and things cost a lot more than you would expect. Prices have jumped a shitload in Oz in the past couple of years too, but the economy still seems to be ticking along. It will crash eventually - it has to - and Australia won't be prepared. A lot of people living in credit in my homeland. Housing is expensive in both places - much harder to find in Oz I think. There is an incredible housing shortage right now. Real estate agents hold auctions for rental properties in my hometown of Melbourne, that's how bad it is.

Both countries are stunning. It's often a lot harder to get to see the nice bits in Oz because it's such a big country. New Zealand is a lot more compact.

Women are easy in both places - tend to be a little more princessy and privileged in Oz and uglier in NZ. Both countries have become East Asian melting pots in the last decade - lots of HAPA's in Oz and Asian, Euro, Polynesian mixes in NZ. If you're not happy to accept living with lots of Asian people, the major cities in either country are not for you. Night life is better in the Oz big cities from what Ive seen. International sporting events better in Oz.

I live in Germany now - which has it's own challenges. No killer animals, just lots of rules, regulations and very stiff people who can't laugh.

If I was to choose - I'd pick Australia if I was going to start from scratch and get a job and buy a home. If i was near the end of my working life I'd probably choose NZ.

Cheers for the good info!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 02:25:05 AM »
Considering Australia started out as a penal colony... ie. one big mass jail, I would say NZ.. anyone from Australia can trace their heritage back to a bunch of British inmates.

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:41 AM »
Considering Australia started out as a penal colony... ie. one big mass jail, I would say NZ.. anyone from Australia can trace their heritage back to a bunch of British inmates.

I'd say most Australian citizens trace their heritage to people who emmigrated here in the 20th century of their own free will.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:53:02 AM »

My cousing moved there about 5 years ago (to a beautiful place near Rotorua). She says it's a great country, shame about the original inhabitants. Entitlement culture, mostly. I'd emigrate there too, but the NZ government won't let me because my wife is chronically ill.  ::)

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 03:19:52 AM »
@ phreak - Immigration is a nightmare in Oz. In New Zealand I really have no idea. The sad fact about Australia is, we have too many people and not enough useable land or resources. Yes - it's a big country. But the useable space is minimal - and we seem to be expanding rapidly (God knows how with our immigration laws). We're seeing this already with the housing shortage, but the bottom line is pretty scary. We will not be able to feed ourselves for much longer. Shortsighted governments have a lot to answer for. I can imagine the Maori have some entitlement issues - they've had their shit together for a long time legally. They're in a much better situation than the Australian aboriginals.

@Prototype - mate - Melbourne is full of HAPA's! A HAPA is a Eurasian mix - like myself. East asian blood one side and Euro blood the other. Less bitey things in Vic. I moved there from Queensland. Worse weather, friendlier everything else. Got ambushed by a wombat in Wilson's Prom once - that's about the worst of it. My cousin lived in the Whitsundays, and wound up in Intensive Care in a critical touch and go situation for a week, because he walked into the chopped up tentacle of some jellyfish that a boat had run over. It wasn't even attached to the jellyfish anymore, and it still stopped his heart 6 times before he got to the hospital.

Fucking scary shit. I am pretty ok with most beasties - snakes, spiders, even happily swum with smaller sharks - but fucking jellyfish scare me so much I can't function properly. Fuckers.

@Xerxes - don't know off the top of my head, but international MBA's are an extremely popular course everywhere in Australia. I'd say pick a city you want to spend time in and check out the major universities in that city. As far as I know, almost all of them will have an MBA on offer. QUT in Queensland always had a good reputation when I lived there.

cheers folks

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 03:43:06 AM »

err.....no, dumb cunt. 
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »

This plus Aussie has Abos and Lebos though we are getting quite a few Somalian taxi drivers here as of late  :'( :-\ ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 03:55:28 AM »
This plus Aussie has Abos and Lebos though we are getting quite a few Somalian taxi drivers here as of late  :'( :-\ ;D

Might i remind you that your country is run rife with Maoris, every other kind of islander imaginable and of course New Zealanders. No wonder you all move here to the promiseland...
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 04:16:31 AM »
Might i remind you that your country is run rife with Maoris, every other kind of islander imaginable and of course New Zealanders. No wonder you all move here to the promiseland...
But there are pretty Maori and Islanders , I think it has to do with the employers in OZ - alot who are now Kiwi - they would rather hire NZ's  :D

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 06:22:37 AM »
err.....no, dumb cunt. 

Why don't you check your own history, dumb girl

Australia was a British penal colony until 1848

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 06:27:42 AM »

I live Melbourne down the bottom, I live right next to a national park and I've never encounterd anything remotely dangerous.
What about Abos ?

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 06:43:40 AM »
Australia is a great country to live in.

Some of the friendliest people of any first world country I've been to.

Amazing nature and wildlife, awesome cities and nightlife.. yeah I love that place <3

Quite expensive to live there but jobs tend to be pretty well-paid.

As for dangerous creatures - you should not be worried about them at all. There are like 2 people a year who get killed by crocodiles and usually alcohol is involved. You gotta be quite careless to get attacked by a croc .. just stay away from the water in areas where salties live (they only live in parts of WA , NT and Far North QLD). Don't go swimming in the north when it's stinger season PERIOD
Shark attacks are pretty rare as well and so are snake bites. I actually like all sorts of reptiles and went snake and croc hunting and it takes fucking ages to actually find one.
Spiders are actually everywhere but most of them are just nasty and ugly but won't harm you. Never got bitten by a spider.

Haven't been to NZ yet but def. going to .. met some cool kiwis in oz and they all say it's worth checking out.

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 06:45:19 AM »
To keep this bodybuilding related ... gear is bloody expensive in OZ  :o :(

Some good gyms though.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »
Both will be colonies of the mighty Unites States someday...

We will need somepace to ship 50 million third-worlders from central america that makes it a little harder to swim back from.

dave19

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 07:26:14 AM »
Both will be colonies of the mighty Unites States someday...

We will need somepace to ship 50 million third-worlders from central america that makes it a little harder to swim back from.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
Remember this: NZ is a country of just 4m.

It's an island nation 3000km from civilisation Australia, it's nearest neighbour. There is little competition in the jobs market, in utilities & communication, in supermarkets etc. Wages are pretty low. Housing is expensive yet mainly old & very poorly insulated. Central heating is unheard of. It gets very cold & wet in winter, if your not living in the South Island, where it snows. It's what happens when a large farm decides to become a nation.

The largest city is Auckland (1.1m) which has world-class suburban sprawl with nothing but bungalows as far as the eye can see. Thus Public transport is a joke & a journey across town (i.e from the suburb you live in to the factory/industrial estate/academic institute you work in/shop at) is going to mean a good wait in traffic. There is a rudimentary train system that doesn't run to the airport yet NZ insists it is a first world country.

The clean, green image that NZ promotes is only possible because of the low no.of Kiwi's to begin with. And the amount of rain.

Nice countryside though. For the mean time, anyway. If you are a keen sailor, kayaker, surfer, tramper,  or mountaineer you could do worse. If you're looking for culture or intellectual stimulation, bring a book or get yourself an internet connection ( prepare to be gouged).

A related article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/4230207/The-great-Kiwi-rip-off