Author Topic: More lies from Obama - Admits "Shovel Ready Jobs" never existed.  (Read 10381 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

A Shovel-Unready President
By Jonah Goldberg

________________________ _________________

Back in early 2009, President-elect Barack Obama was asked on Meet the Press how quickly he could create jobs. Oh, very fast, he said. He'd already consulted with a gaggle of governors, and "all of them have projects that are shovel-ready." When Obama revealed the members of his energy team, he explained that they were part of his effort to get started on "shovel-ready projects all across the country." When he unveiled his education secretary, he assured everyone that he was going to get started "helping states and local governments with shovel-ready projects."

In interviews, job summits, and press conferences, it was shovel-ready this, shovel-ready that. Search the White House website for the term "shovel-ready" and you'll drown in press releases about all the shovels ready to shove shovel-ready projects into the 21st century, where no shovel is left behind.

Only now it turns out that the president was shoveling something all right when he was talking about shovel-ready jobs - a whole pile of steaming something.

In the current issue of The New York Times Magazine, Obama admits that there's "no such thing as shovel-ready" when it comes to public works.

It's not that Obama was lying when he said all that stuff. It's just that he didn't know what he was talking about. All it took was nearly a trillion dollars in stimulus money and 20-plus months of on-the-job training for him to discover that he was talking nonsense.

It seems to me that, if I were president, and I not only staked vast swaths of my credibility but gambled the prosperity of the country generally on this concept of "shovel-ready jobs," I might be a bit miffed with the staffers who swore that shovel-ready jobs were, like, you know, a real thing.

And yet, if you read Peter Baker's Obama profile, it's clear that Obama isn't mad about that. In fact, he still thinks he got all the policies right. Baker writes that Obama is "supremely sure that he is right," it's just that the president feels he didn't market himself well.

"Given how much stuff was coming at us," Obama explains, "we probably spent much more time trying to get the policy right than trying to get the politics right. There is probably a perverse pride in my administration - and I take responsibility for this; this was blowing from the top - that we were going to do the right thing, even if short-term it was unpopular. And I think anybody who's occupied this office has to remember that success is determined by an intersection in policy and politics and that you can't be neglecting of marketing and PR and public opinion."

This is an old progressive lament: Our product is perfect, we just didn't sell it convincingly to the rubes.

But wait a second. If they spent "much more time trying to get the policy right," how come nobody said, "Uh, Mr. President, these ‘shovel-ready jobs' you keep talking about? They're sort of like good flan - they don't exist."

Let's not dwell on such things. Besides, Obama has already said that his problems come from "neglecting marketing and PR and public opinion." Indeed, that, and only that, explains why people think he looks like "the same old tax-and-spend liberal Democrat."

The only problem with that: facts. Obama's health-care plan raises taxes on Americans (though Obama says this is not so, they're merely mandatory fees and premiums) and will cost trillions. He wants to raise taxes on "the rich" - defined so that a cop married to a nurse might well count as rich - and on small businesses.

Meanwhile, Washington is now spending 23 percent more than it did two years ago. As the Washington Post recently editorialized, Congress's "emergency" bailout to avoid "a teachers crisis" was a fraud to simply transfer billions to the teachers' unions in advance of the midterms.

And then, of course, there's the stimulus that paid for all of those "shovel-ready jobs" that Obama now admits never existed. Los Angeles County deployed $111 million in stimulus money to "save" 55 jobs at the cost of $2 million apiece. The White House has spent $192 million on road signs that brag about how the construction delays ahead were paid for by the stimulus. Meanwhile, unemployment is a full three percentage points higher during Obama's "recovery" than it was during the "worst recession since the Great Depression."

Maybe it's unfair for people to think Obama is just another tax-and-spend Democrat. After all, some tax-and-spend Democrats are actually competent at it.

www.realclearpolitics.co m

________________________ ________________________ __________

Who would have guess?  Those of us who warned you clowns from day 1 were right again. 

Fucking losers.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: More lies from Obama - Admits "Shovel Ready Jobs" never existed.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 06:47:36 AM »
In the current issue of The New York Times Magazine, Obama admits that there's "no such thing as shovel-ready" when it comes to public works.

It's not that Obama was lying when he said all that stuff. It's just that he didn't know what he was talking about. All it took was nearly a trillion dollars in stimulus money and 20-plus months of on-the-job training for him to discover that he was talking nonsense.

________________________ _________________

Hope & Change!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:17:52 AM »

David Brooks: Obama told me “shovel-ready” was a crock…a year ago
MichelleMalkin.com ^ | 10/16/10 | Michelle Malkin

________________________ ________________________ _________________

How much of a tool is New York Times columnist David Brooks?

This much: On the PBS NewsHour last night, Brooks admitted that President Obama told him a year ago that he knew that the “shovel-ready project” propaganda he employed to pass the massive porkulus bill was a steaming load of bullcrap.

Brooks’ New York Times colleague Peter Baker reported the newsworthy admission in an upcoming Sunday magazine piece. It’s an admission that received much deserved attention here in the blogosphere this week and that invited much deserved derision from Republican critics of the stimulus boondoggle.

Why didn’t Brooks report Obama’s damning admission sooner? In another serving of steaming bullcrap, he claims it’s because Baker was more skilled at getting Obama to talk on the record. Seems to me the real reason Brooks didn’t report it is because he had his nose so far up his bromance love object’s you-know-what that he didn’t see the scoop dropped right in his lap.

Transcript:

SNIP

DAVID BROOKS: Yes. Well, I shouldn’t have confessed this. He said this to me off the record about a year ago. But it hasn’t…

JIM LEHRER: Off the record? So, then you can’t talk about it.

(LAUGHTER)

DAVID BROOKS: Yes, because Peter Baker is a better than I am, because I couldn’t get him to go on the record with that thing.

(LAUGHTER)

JIM LEHRER: He said this to you a year ago?

DAVID BROOKS: It was obvious. I mean, you are trying to build a stimulus package. And when they were trying to build it, believe me, they would have loved to have filled it with infrastructure jobs. But the projects just didn’t exist. They couldn’t do it. They couldn’t find them.

(Excerpt) Read more at michellemalkin.com ...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 07:30:33 AM »
would love to hear from the uber stimulus shill that is 240 on this bull shit...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
would love to hear from the uber stimulus shill that is 240 on this bull shit...

Just look at blackens' response to me in the other one and you will get a good idea.  That jerkoff still won't even come clean on his stealing others posts and trying to pass them off as his own without attribution. 

These shills are a fucking joke and should just off themselves already. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
333386, saving the world on getbig ,one post at a time

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:10:05 AM »
Blacken = "I can't support a damn thing coming from the hacks i have shilled for for the last three years so I attack others personally without making an argument" 

Good job fool - how do you even have the balls to post here any more after getting caught lying, stealing, and plagiarizing time and time again?  Have you no shame at all?   

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:40 AM »
i just can't imagine sitting in front of the computer all day on the getbig forum,go outside and do something, have some fun

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
333 - I actually watched your videos and I don't see Obama making any such statements (i.e. no shovel ready jobs)

do you have anything such as a video of Obama saying this or direct quote from him (in context)

all I see are quotes from other people making this claim

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »
333 - I actually watched your videos and I don't see Obama making any such statements (i.e. no shovel ready jobs)

do you have anything such as a video of Obama saying this or direct quote from him (in context)

all I see are quotes from other people making this claim

Its in the NYT expose.  i'll post the link since the article is too long to post. 

Here it is.  Its long - but a good article.   

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/president-obama-looks-forward-and-back/

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:40:36 AM »
Its in the NYT expose.  i'll post the link since the article is too long to post. 

Here it is.  Its long - but a good article.   

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/13/president-obama-looks-forward-and-back/

is there a quote in there where Obama says this?

if so, please find it and post it

thanks

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 08:41:17 AM »
is there a quote in there where Obama says this?

if so, please find it and post it

thanks

This is the article - sorry about the last post - this is whe whole thing. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/magazine/17obama-t.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all

I'll find the exact quote. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 08:46:07 AM »
While proud of his record, Obama has already begun thinking about what went wrong — and what he needs to do to change course for the next two years. He has spent what one aide called “a lot of time talking about Obama 2.0” with his new interim chief of staff, Pete Rouse, and his deputy chief of staff, Jim Messina. During our hour together, Obama told me he had no regrets about the broad direction of his presidency. But he did identify what he called “tactical lessons.” He let himself look too much like “the same old tax-and-spend liberal Democrat.” He realized too late that “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects” when it comes to public works. Perhaps he should not have proposed tax breaks as part of his stimulus and instead “let the Republicans insist on the tax cuts” so it could be seen as a bipartisan compromise.

________________________ _____________________

The author uses quotes and so far the WH has not denied the article or quote. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 08:49:39 AM »
While proud of his record, Obama has already begun thinking about what went wrong — and what he needs to do to change course for the next two years. He has spent what one aide called “a lot of time talking about Obama 2.0” with his new interim chief of staff, Pete Rouse, and his deputy chief of staff, Jim Messina. During our hour together, Obama told me he had no regrets about the broad direction of his presidency. But he did identify what he called “tactical lessons.” He let himself look too much like “the same old tax-and-spend liberal Democrat.” He realized too late that “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects” when it comes to public works. Perhaps he should not have proposed tax breaks as part of his stimulus and instead “let the Republicans insist on the tax cuts” so it could be seen as a bipartisan compromise.

________________________ _____________________

The author uses quotes and so far the WH has not denied the article or quote. 

so no actual quote from Obama?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
so no actual quote from Obama?

He realized too late that “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects” when it comes to public works.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 09:58:50 AM »
Wow.  Indefensible.  Sounds like outright lying to justifying the "stimulus."   :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Wow.  Indefensible.  Sounds like outright lying to justifying the "stimulus."   :-\

I want to hear 240's spin on this for a laugh. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
Hey Straw - what about Brooks' comment? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »

It's a shame that so many GOP governors failed to have the jobs ready when Obama gave them all that money.  Squandering the funds, just to see him fail, really hurts all of us.

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
Wow.  Indefensible.

Agreed.  Governors like Jindal with his "Jobs Jobs Jobs" program - using that obama federal $ to employ people in his state - while at the same time criticizing a sitting US President during wartime...

Indefensible.  You're right.

;D hahahahahaha spin is so much fun

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:53:41 AM »
Agreed.  Governors like Jindal with his "Jobs Jobs Jobs" program - using that obama federal $ to employ people in his stage - while at the same time criticizing a sitting US President during wartime...

Indefensible.  You're right.

Spoken like a true liberal lapdog. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:55:29 AM »
He realized too late that “there’s no such thing as shovel-ready projects” when it comes to public works.

that was a direct quote from Obama to the author of the article?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 10:56:03 AM »
Agreed.  Governors like Jindal with his "Jobs Jobs Jobs" program - using that obama federal $ to employ people in his state - while at the same time criticizing a sitting US President during wartime...

Indefensible.  You're right.

;D hahahahahaha spin is so much fun

I should have guessed.   

240 - "i am a libertarian"     - ha ha ha. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 10:57:35 AM »
Spoken like a true liberal lapdog.  

Jindal's not a lapdog, he's just toeing the party line because he has ambitions of being a VP selection down the road.

I can't fault him for that - more misguided than anything else.