Author Topic: New full body scanners at Honolulu Airport unveiled  (Read 40591 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Re: New full body scanners at Honolulu Airport unveiled
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
lol what the hell are you trying to say? :-X

I'm saying that the TSA is a bunch of pecker checkers.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2010, 04:51:51 AM »
a friend of mine was flying home from vegas on wednesday. When they scanned his carry on, they found a knife in a little hidden pocket he had forgoten about. The woman(tsa agent) asked about it and he just said that he forgot he even had that knife. She asked if he wanted it mailed back home and he said "no just keep it". She let him go...didnt make him go through any additional scanning/patdown. Meanwhile he said he saw an 80yr old woman getting patted down off to the side.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »
a friend of mine was flying home from vegas on wednesday. When they scanned his carry on, they found a knife in a little hidden pocket he had forgoten about. The woman(tsa agent) asked about it and he just said that he forgot he even had that knife. She asked if he wanted it mailed back home and he said "no just keep it". She let him go...didnt make him go through any additional scanning/patdown. Meanwhile he said he saw an 80yr old woman getting patted down off to the side.
all of this seems so absurd to me...  Maybe I'm just from a place that time forgot... I grew up in Wyoming, we carried pocket knives with us to school or wherever we went and nobody gave a shit. 5th graders sitting there sharpening their pencils with pocket knives, now it's a national security threat to have a fucking pocket knife ::) After school or in the summer we would head up to the hillsides and target practice with our .22 rifles, nobody worried about us walking around with rifles and we were just kids.

If I'm going to fly, and some jackass pops up with a box cutter or pocket knife, I'm not in the least bit worried.  He better have a better plan than his knife.  I'll take that thing and have it into his neck in seconds.  And I was trained for that shit as many in America who served were.  Most likely I wouldn't even get to him first, others would gang rush his ass and he would panic and toss the knife before getting the crap beat out of him.

I guess I oppose all of this in every way because this isn't remotely close to the America I grew up in.  It's been sickly distorted and changed and I want the America I grew up in back.  If I could go back in time and stay, I would, but I can't so I just have to oppose what seems retarded as I perceive it.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2010, 06:15:01 AM »
Also, I don't give a shit about terrorists.  I don't in any way plan to ever worry about them ever.  Terrorists would have to kill 500,000 per year before I would even start to consider them a bigger threat than me driving my car and if I'm going to worry about being killed or worry about a family member being killed, there are at least 5 bigger worries than terrorists killing 500,000 per year.  

Terrorists are a minor worry to me.  I'm way more worried about what my government will do than what terrorists will do.  Terrorists can't do shit to harm America.  Our government can easily do a lot more to harm the fundamental principles of America and our way of life as a free people.

I will be much more worried that my daughter will be killed by some dipshit driver than getting killed by a terrorist.  I'm much more worried that she will have a miserable life with a jackass abusive husband(who I will fucking kill) than I am about her being killed by a terrorist.  I could go on with so many greater concerns than retard terrorists....  in the end, they are not worth changing our way of life.  Terrorism is not worth turning America into a facist police state--almost to late to say.....

Lastly, I would die for the words that I say... If I happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, so be it.  America is more important to me.  The country our children will be raised in is more important to me.  Freedom isn't safety.  Freedom and liberty can be dangerous and I'm ok with that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:45 AM »
Hugo - we have become a pussy nation.  We are a sad sack of soft, scared, weak, petrified, pain averse obsessives who don't deserve freedom any more. 

Whether its the zero tolerance crap in the schools, the stupid drug laws, the idiotic way we treat college kids or even high school seniors having a beer, video game cry babies, the whole "concerned mothers" bullshit, etc etc, we are simply not worthy of freedom any more. 

Sad but true.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
Hugo - we have become a pussy nation.  We are a sad sack of soft, scared, weak, petrified, pain averse obsessives who don't deserve freedom any more. 

Whether its the zero tolerance crap in the schools, the stupid drug laws, the idiotic way we treat college kids or even high school seniors having a beer, video game cry babies, the whole "concerned mothers" bullshit, etc etc, we are simply not worthy of freedom any more. 

Sad but true.   
You're right, but what makes me even more sick is that the Obama admin considers me a "domestic extremist" for saying the things I do?  You have got to be fucking kidding me, is this for real?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2010, 07:14:58 AM »
You're right, but what makes me even more sick is that the Obama admin considers me a "domestic extremist" for saying the things I do?  You have got to be fucking kidding me, is this for real?

Yes!  Remember when they called 2nd amend advocates and those against illegals domestic terrorists? 

Bush did the same crap.  Its one of the reasons I want to puke even looking at him on TV.  Remember he called those against illegal immigration "vigilantes" and said people against harriet meirs was because she was a woman? 

Bush/obama seems like blood brother twins to me at this point, but obama took it a few steps further.

I posted a story about two weeks ago about a town councilman calling the cops on 10 y/o for selling cupcakes in the park.   I posted another about 7 men getting arrested for playing chess in a park. 

We are over regulated, over legislated, over policed,  adn seeking this fantasy land bullshit society that will never exist and destroying all freedom and propsertiy in the meantime.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2010, 07:40:42 AM »
Yes!  Remember when they called 2nd amend advocates and those against illegals domestic terrorists?  

Bush did the same crap.  Its one of the reasons I want to puke even looking at him on TV.  Remember he called those against illegal immigration "vigilantes" and said people against harriet meirs was because she was a woman?  

Bush/obama seems like blood brother twins to me at this point, but obama took it a few steps further.

I posted a story about two weeks ago about a town councilman calling the cops on 10 y/o for selling cupcakes in the park.   I posted another about 7 men getting arrested for playing chess in a park.  

We are over regulated, over legislated, over policed,  adn seeking this fantasy land bullshit society that will never exist and destroying all freedom and propsertiy in the meantime.  
seriously, this guy needs impeached asap.  He is worse than bush because all he has done is to add onto all the things we hated about Bush.  I wanted bush impeached, therefore, I want Obama impeached even more.  This guy is a walking violation of the constitution.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »

I see this all the time.  Ridiculous. 

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2010, 12:25:15 PM »
all of this seems so absurd to me...  Maybe I'm just from a place that time forgot... I grew up in Wyoming, we carried pocket knives with us to school or wherever we went and nobody gave a shit. 5th graders sitting there sharpening their pencils with pocket knives, now it's a national security threat to have a fucking pocket knife ::) After school or in the summer we would head up to the hillsides and target practice with our .22 rifles, nobody worried about us walking around with rifles and we were just kids.

If I'm going to fly, and some jackass pops up with a box cutter or pocket knife, I'm not in the least bit worried.  He better have a better plan than his knife.  I'll take that thing and have it into his neck in seconds.  And I was trained for that shit as many in America who served were.  Most likely I wouldn't even get to him first, others would gang rush his ass and he would panic and toss the knife before getting the crap beat out of him.

I guess I oppose all of this in every way because this isn't remotely close to the America I grew up in.  It's been sickly distorted and changed and I want the America I grew up in back.  If I could go back in time and stay, I would, but I can't so I just have to oppose what seems retarded as I perceive it.

I'm from a similar time and place.  I can't remember going to a friends house and not seeing a gun rack in their parent's room.  

I mentioned getting our oldest kid a bb gun last summer and my wife thought I was crazy.....
I tried to tell her that I spent my summer days "plinking" with my .22 and my summer nights "bat hunting" with my "four-ten" shotgun when I was that age.  
bb-guns were saved for playing "war" with your friends.  
Y

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »
The problem is a lot larger than just giving people a bunch of guns and problem solved.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
We used to shoot each other w bb guns for fun. I had a friend shoot me point blank with 1000 fps.  Damn that hurt.  Then we went to paintball guns and roman candles and m80's.

Times have changes.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2010, 01:15:54 PM »
Dismantle all those scanners and 'hire' a few thousand beagles. Much safer and much more cost effective...
I hate the State.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2010, 07:04:23 PM »
I see this all the time.  Ridiculous. 

i find it hilarious that he ahd a knife and didnt have to go through the scanner OR patdown...and here's this 80yr old lady getting her tits felt up.

brutal system

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »

Sad but true.   

This.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2010, 07:38:41 AM »
Hugo - we have become a pussy nation.  We are a sad sack of soft, scared, weak, petrified, pain averse obsessives who don't deserve freedom any more.  

Sad but true.    

This.  The government has slowly and steadily changed the way it governs over the years.  
What was once a government "for the people" has become a government whose entire purpose is to appease the various political fringe groups while ignoring the silent majority.  

It's not about listening to the people, it's about trying not to anger all the various political groups that represent some (very vocal) minority view.  

It doesn't matter what "America" thinks....they're too busy with all the shit that needs to be done to provide for their families to devote the time necessary to show their outrage.  
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: February 01, 2011, 02:51:52 PM »
TSA to test new body scanning system in Las Vegas
By Associated Press
POSTED: 04:31 a.m. HST, Feb 01, 2011

LAS VEGAS — The Transportation Security Administration is testing a new, more modest body scanning system at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas.

Critics have complained that the full-body scans are intrusive, but TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird says the software being unveiled Tuesday lets passengers see what its security screeners see, and it uses a more generic image.

He says the TSA is trying to determine whether it can improve privacy protections and maintain the same security levels.

There are nearly 500 full-body scanners in use at 78 airports. The scans show a traveler's physical contours on a computer screen and can reveal hidden weapons or explosives. Faces aren't shown, and the images are viewed in a private room, but many people say it still reveals too much about what's under their clothes.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/115007504.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

This video has gone viral on youtube today.  When will this madness stop?  If I was the parent of that kid I would knock that bitch the f**k out! 

Stupid fat TSA bitch is just a mindless useful idiot for big government intrusion.  Janet Napalitano should be brought up on criminal charges for allowing this stuff to happen.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »
 :)

House GOP moves to end money for new body scanners
By Andrew Taylor
Asssociated Press
POSTED: 03:27 p.m. HST, May 12, 2011

WASHINGTON >> House Republicans controlling the Transportation Security Administration's purse strings are moving to cut off new funding for those advanced airport scanners that have sparked outrage over their revealing images of travelers' bodies.

Draft legislation released Thursday by the Appropriations homeland security subcommittee denies the Obama administration's $76 million request for an additional 275 of the scanners, which many travelers dislike because TSA employees can view full body images of travelers.

The GOP move wouldn't affect the 500 or so machines already in place at 78 of the nation's airports or the 500 just funded in a recent spending bill. Efforts are under way to solve the privacy concerns with new computer software. TSA currently gives passengers the option of a pat down in private — a choice that most people find even more intrusive.

Panel chairman Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., said his move was sparked by budgetary factors rather than protests from privacy advocates. And it comes as the TSA is trying hard to modify the machines so that they won't produce revealing images. Instead, the agency is trying out new software that would have the machines read the images and alert airport screeners when there's a potential weapon or other threat. The screener would then see the location of the threat is shown on a stick figure of the body.

That technology hasn't been proven yet, and with the new privacy software showing uneven results, Aderholt is refusing the fund additional machines.

"We don't want to skimp on security but we want to make sure that where we can make smart cuts, we do," Aderholt said.

The machines are aimed at detecting things like explosives and other threats that don't set off metal detectors. They follow an earlier generation of machines that puffed air at passengers that proved to be too fragile and expensive to maintain.

Defending the program, Homeland Security Department spokesman Adam Fetcher said that since 2010 the full body scanners have led to the detection of nearly 210 prohibited, illegal or dangerous items at checkpoints nationwide.

Opponents of the machines took heart in the panel's decision.

"They're a nuisance. They're slow. And they're ineffective," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a longtime critic, adding that the machines aren't not used to screen visitors to high-profile targets like the White House or the Capitol. The bottom line is that ... they're just not as effective as a good ol' German Shepherd."

Chaffetz won a 310-118 vote on the House floor last year to cut off funding for the machines but the administration and the Senate refused to go along. The likelihood of a similar outcome this year may have reinforced the decision to withhold the funds.

But advocates of the full body technology say that the alternative to the machines are even more intrusive pat downs — including recent high-profile incidents in which a baby was patted down at the Kansas City airport and a six-year-old was upset after being frisked at the New Orleans airport. They say people far prefer the full body screenings than a hand-on pat down.

"Now they will have to hand search more people. More hand search means a lot more expense than using the technology," said Peter Kant, Executive Vice President of Rapiscan Systems, one of the two companies that makes the machines. "Ninety-five-plus percent of people would rather be scanned than go through a pat down."

Kant was referring to a CBS News poll last year that also showed 81 percent of respondents support the full body scanners despite a concerted campaign by opponents.

The government has already spent about $1 billion on the machines. That big an investment ensures they probably aren't going anywhere.

And the machines have powerful advocates like Sen. Thad Cochran of Mississippi, the top Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee. A Rapiscan plant in his state employs 20 people manufacturing the machines.

"The whole-body-imaging machines have something that (bomb-sniffing) dogs don't have," Chaffetz said. "Lobbyists."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/121747889.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »
Bloodbath.

TSA firing 36 Honolulu Airport workers, suspends 12 others
By Gregg K. Kakesako
POSTED: 09:43 a.m. HST, Jun 10, 2011

Transportation Security Administration workers put luggage into screening machines today at Honolulu Airport. A total of 48 other TSA workers at the airport are on administrative leave starting today after being suspended or being informed that they face termination because they allegedly did not screen checked-in baggage.

Thirty-six Transportation Security Administration workers at Honolulu Airport, including the top director, were given termination notices today, and 12 more were suspended because they allegedly were not screening checked-in baggage for explosives as their jobs require.

Nico Melendez, TSA spokesman, said the federal agency delivered letters of “proposed termination” to 36 workers, including five members of its leadership team here. The top two are the agency’s federal security director and the assistant federal deputy director for screening.Melendez said privacy laws prevented him from naming the 36 individuals who are being removed.

Melendez said the 36 workers are on paid administrative leave while they go through the appeals process. The workers have seven days to respond to the letter. If the TSA goes through with the termination after that, the workers have 30 days to appeal the firing.

The 12 suspended TSA workers, meanwhile, are on unpaid leave but also are allowed to appeal. Melendez said the appeal process can run from a week to 30 days. The suspensions, effective today, range from two weeks to 30 days.

Glen Kajiyama was removed as the federal security director. Stanford Miyamoto, who currently serves as deputy area director, has been named the acting federal security director, effective today. Kajiyama, who served as a deputy chief during his 30-year-old career at the Honolulu Police Department, was named in July 2007 to replace Sidney Hayakawa as head of the TSA here.

Former HPD Maj. William Gulledge is the assistant federal deputy director for screening at TSA who received his termination notice today. He joined TSA in 2003.

A six-month TSA investigation revealed some bags weren't checked properly by one shift of screeners at the airport, officials said.

The 36 employees who received letters of termination had been placed in nonsecurity roles pending the outcome of the investigation which began late last year. Melendez said that 100 of the 750 TSA employees who work in Honolulu were interviewed during the investigation.

"TSA holds its workforce to the highest ethical standards and we will not tolerate employees who in any way compromise the security of the traveling public," said TSA Administrator John Pistole. "We have taken appropriate action through our newly established Office of Professional Responsibility and are committed to ensuring our high security standards are upheld in Hawaii and throughout the country."

Colleen M. Kelley, president of the National Treasury Employees Union, today issued a statement of support for the nonsupervisory TSA employees. “This unfortunate situation is a matter of considerable concern, but should not be taken as indicative of the behavior and professionalism of the vast majority of TSA officers,” said Kelley in a written statement. “In fact, it was TSA employees that brought these problems forward.

“While no one condones compromising security measures designed to keep the traveling public safe, it is NTEU’s understanding that pressure from airlines and supervisors to ensure that morning international flights departed from Honolulu on time led to the events triggering the investigation and resulting discipline.”

Dina Long, spokeswoman for NTEU, said her union is vying with the American Federation of Government Employees to become the exclusive bargaining agent for 43,000 TSA front-line workers. Voting is ongoing nationally and will end June 21, Long said.

Melendez said only the TSA screening operations at the Honolulu Airport were investigated.

In March, Melendez said the TSA officers worked at Lobby 4 at Honolulu Airport, which services 12 airlines.

The allegations surfaced in December when two TSA employees reported that luggage was allowed to go on flights without being screened or checked for explosives.

The alleged misconduct affected a "limited number" of flights daily during the last few months of 2010, according to the TSA.

Most of the flights where bags were not screened took off in the morning. Lobby 4 is used by Air Canada, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Alaska Air, All Nippon Airways, China Airlines, Delta Airlines, Jetstar Airways, Korean Air, Philippine Airlines, Qantas and WestJet.

Melendez said transportation security officers are required to operate explosive detection and explosive-trace detection systems. The job requires operation of machines, as well as checking bags by hand. Minivan-sized machines are installed at airports, and each piece of luggage must be manually placed into, and removed, from the machines.

Training for the job includes about 40 hours in the classroom and as much as 60 hours of on-the-job training, Melendez said. Officers also go through three hours of training each week.

This is not the first time that TSA workers in Hawaii have come under scrutiny.

In April, Dawn Nikole Keka, a lead TSA officer at Kona Airport, pleaded guilty in federal court to misdemeanor theft charges of stealing cash from Japanese travelers passing through her screening lane. She will be sentenced in July.

She was caught in a sting operation when a TSA special agent posing as a Japanese tourist went through Keka's lane with 13 marked $100 bills in her wallet. The agent placed the wallet in a Hello Kitty backpack.

Following the publicity of Keka's arrest in March, other travelers and even some of Keka's former coworkers, stepped forward with more theft accusations. One man claims he lost $9,000.

The TSA conducted the sting and arrested Keka on March 11. Keka resigned from her job the following Monday. She said she took two $100 bills from the undercover agent's backpack while searching it for contraband.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/TSA_firing_36_Honolulu_Airport_workers_suspends_12_others.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:49 PM »
2 Congressmen call for Honolulu TSA probe
By Associated Press
POSTED: 11:00 a.m. HST, Jun 21, 2011
DENNIS ODA / DODA@STARADVERTISER.COM

Transportation Security Administration workers placed luggage into screening machines Friday at Honolulu Airport. Forty-eight other TSA workers at the airport are on administrative leave after being suspended or being informed that they face termination because they allegedly did not screen checked-in baggage for explosives as their job required.

Two Republican Congressmen are calling for the Department of Homeland Security to investigate the security lapses at the Honolulu International Airport, which led to the firing of dozens of screeners.

In a letter sent Tuesday and obtained by The Associated Press, U.S. Reps. John Mica of Florida and Jason Chaffetz of Utah urged a probe into why Transportation Security Administration screeners "dramatically failed" in their responsibilities.

The TSA wants to fire 36 workers and has suspended 12 others after a six-month investigation found they did not properly screen baggage in Honolulu.

Mica chairs the Transportation and Infrastructure committee and Chaffetz chairs the National Security, Homeland Defense and Foreign Operations subcommittee.

The letter says the firings highlight the conflict of the TSA acting as both operator and regulator of aviation screening.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/124311394.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »
Change made to airport screenings for young kids
By Eileen Sullivan
Associated Press
POSTED: 07:08 a.m. HST, Jun 22, 2011

WASHINGTON >> The government has made a change in its policy for patting down young children at airport checkpoints, and more are promised.

Airport security workers are now told to make repeated attempts to screen young children without resorting to invasive pat-downs, the head of the Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday.

There was public outrage in April over a video of a 6-year-old girl getting a pat-down in the New Orleans airport. She was patted down, TSA Administrator John Pistole said, because she moved during the electronic screening, causing a blurry image.

That kind of pat-down was put in place partly because of the Nigerian man who got past airport security, boarded a plane with explosives hidden in his underpants and tried to use the bomb to bring down the airliner over Detroit on Christmas 2009.

But this screening has been criticized as being too intrusive and an unnecessary measure for children and older people who seem to pose no terror threat.

Last month, a picture of a baby being patted down at Kansas City International Airport gained worldwide attention as well. The baby's stroller set off an alert of possible traces of explosives, so the screeners were justified in taking a closer look at the boy cradled in his mother's arms, the agency said.

Pistole, testifying at a hearing on transportation security by the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said his agency has been working on a new policy for the use of pat-downs on children and an announcement will come soon.

Terrorists in other countries have used children as young as 10 years old as suicide bombers, Pistole said, although that hasn't happened in the U.S. "We need to use common sense," he told lawmakers.

Some of the first information gleaned from Osama bin Laden's compound after he was killed by U.S. forces in May indicated that al-Qaida considered attacking U.S. trains on the upcoming anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Counterterrorism officials have said they believe the planning never got beyond the initial phase and have no recent intelligence pointing to an active plot for such an attack.

But the evidence from bin Laden's compound shows what U.S. officials have been saying for years: Terrorists remain interested in attacking transportation nodes, such as airplanes and trains.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/124361333.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
SeaTac TSA examines travelers' big hair
by ALLEN SCHAUFFLER / KING 5 News
TSA to woman: 'We're going to have to examine your hair'
Posted on July 7, 2011 at 9:39 AM
Updated yesterday at 10:12 AM

SHORELINE, Wash. -- Laura Adiele wasn't expecting any trouble when she put her hair up, packed her bags, and headed for SeaTac to catch a flight to Texas.  So, she was quite surprised when she was pulled out of the security line after having gone through the Advance Imaging system (that see-through technology) and told she needed a pat-down.

"When I first heard her say, 'We're going to have to pat you down,' I thought she was talking about my body. I was turning around and putting my arms out and she said, 'no, we're going to have to examine your hair,' and I said, 'no, we're not going to do that today and you're going to have to get security or your supervisor,'" said Adiele.
Adiele claims she looked around, saw plenty of other women with "big hair, ponytails" who weren't being searched, and it made her mad.  She felt it was discrimination, that she as a black woman with an afro tucked up into a curly bun, was being selected for hand-screening when women of other races weren't.  She had nothing to hide but just didn't want strangers feeling her hair.

"It's just totally a violation of my personal space and my biggest question is if I'm going through a full body X-ray what more do you need to find, after that?" Adiele said. 

Actually the Advanced Imaging isn't an X-ray and should have shown any object, metal or not. Not wanting to miss her flight she finally relented.

"They put the gloves on and now they're really just digging around in my hair and I'm like, arrgg! Why is this happening?" said Adiele.

We couldn't find any specific mention on the TSA website about how travelers should wear their hair, or what to expect hair-wise when going through airport searches.  A spokesperson points out there are very specific descriptions of "head-coverings" and the agency makes it very clear that any such coverings that raise concerns among security agents may be subject to further examination.  Adiele says the agent who searched her described the policy in more blunt terms.

"The supervisor shows up and she says, 'It's our policy that we examine anything that poofs from the body,' and I'm looking around me at all these women with bigger hair if you will and I'm thinking 'why am I the only one being singled out here for poofy hair?" Adiele said.

She laughs just thinking about it.  "They are required to investigate and examine anything that poofs from the body? That sounds like a bogus policy to me. It just sounds bogus. Poofs?!" said Adiele.

She has filed a complaint about the incident but hasn't heard back from the agency yet. It could take a few days for that online form to work its way through the system.

The agency's regional spokesperson says they'll be glad to deal with any problems with Adiele when they see the details of her complaint.  He adds the TSA takes any charges of racism seriously but is confident this is a case of security officer doing their jobs and being very thorough in their efforts to protect the travelling public.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/SeaTac-TSA-Were-going-to-have-to-examine-your-hair-125157594.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
I'd be interested in something like this . . . depending on what information they're asking for.

TSA takes first steps toward 'trusted travel' program
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
July 14, 2011

Washington (CNN) -- After hinting for months that he would start a "trusted traveler" program to expedite security screening for air passengers, TSA Chief John Pistole took his first step in that direction Thursday, announcing a pilot program to ease screening for passengers who voluntarily release certain information about themselves.

The pilot test is based on U.S. customs programs and initially will be available only to certain participants in the customs program and a limited number of air travelers. Those include certain frequent fliers on two airlines -- American and Delta -- flying out of certain airports. Delta passengers must be flying out of Atlanta and Detroit airports, and American Airlines passengers must be flying out of Miami and Dallas airports.

But if it is successful, the program would likely be expanded to include other air travelers who voluntarily give additional information about themselves.

Currently, the TSA vets passenger lists against "watch lists" of known or suspected terrorists. But the TSA is working with a very limited amount of information about those passengers -- namely a person's full name, date of birth and gender. Under "trusted traveler" programs, travelers voluntarily surrender more information about themselves, giving the government more assurances of who they are.

In recent years, there has been a drumbeat of calls for the TSA to adopt a trusted traveler program. Congress and critics have stepped up that demand following two highly publicized incidents, one involving the search of a 6-year-old girl, and the other involving a 95-year-old cancer patient. In both case, the TSA has said the airport screeners were following established protocols.

But the TSA also has said it is working towards a "risk-based" trusted traveler program that could expedite travel for people believed to present little risk to aviation.

The pilot program will begin this fall.

"These improvements will enable our officers to focus their efforts on higher risk areas," Pistole said. "Enhancing identity-based screening is another common sense step in the right direction as we continue to strengthen overall security and improve the passenger experience whenever possible."

During the first phase of testing, certain frequent fliers and all members of Custom and Border Protection's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens, will be eligible to participate.

The TSA said it plans to expand this pilot program to include United, Southwest, JetBlue, US Airways, Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian airlines, as well as additional airports, once operationally ready.

The TSA said Pistole will work with Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin and the airlines to determine passenger eligibility for this screening pilot, which is limited to U.S. citizens and is voluntary.

All passengers in this pilot are subject to recurrent security checks.

Security experts have long expressed concern about so-called "clean skins" -- potential terrorists who enroll in "trusted traveler" programs to avoid scrutiny during a terror mission. But the TSA says it will continue to incorporate random and unpredictable security measures to address such concerns.

Pistole said other layers of security will remain in place, including intelligence gathering and analysis, explosive-detection canine teams, federal air marshals, closed-circuit television monitoring and behavior detection officers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/07/14/tsa.trusted.traveler/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »
I'd be interested in something like this . . . depending on what information they're asking for.

TSA takes first steps toward 'trusted travel' program
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
July 14, 2011

Washington (CNN) -- After hinting for months that he would start a "trusted traveler" program to expedite security screening for air passengers, TSA Chief John Pistole took his first step in that direction Thursday, announcing a pilot program to ease screening for passengers who voluntarily release certain information about themselves.

The pilot test is based on U.S. customs programs and initially will be available only to certain participants in the customs program and a limited number of air travelers. Those include certain frequent fliers on two airlines -- American and Delta -- flying out of certain airports. Delta passengers must be flying out of Atlanta and Detroit airports, and American Airlines passengers must be flying out of Miami and Dallas airports.

But if it is successful, the program would likely be expanded to include other air travelers who voluntarily give additional information about themselves.

Currently, the TSA vets passenger lists against "watch lists" of known or suspected terrorists. But the TSA is working with a very limited amount of information about those passengers -- namely a person's full name, date of birth and gender. Under "trusted traveler" programs, travelers voluntarily surrender more information about themselves, giving the government more assurances of who they are.

In recent years, there has been a drumbeat of calls for the TSA to adopt a trusted traveler program. Congress and critics have stepped up that demand following two highly publicized incidents, one involving the search of a 6-year-old girl, and the other involving a 95-year-old cancer patient. In both case, the TSA has said the airport screeners were following established protocols.

But the TSA also has said it is working towards a "risk-based" trusted traveler program that could expedite travel for people believed to present little risk to aviation.

The pilot program will begin this fall.

"These improvements will enable our officers to focus their efforts on higher risk areas," Pistole said. "Enhancing identity-based screening is another common sense step in the right direction as we continue to strengthen overall security and improve the passenger experience whenever possible."

During the first phase of testing, certain frequent fliers and all members of Custom and Border Protection's Trusted Traveler programs, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS who are U.S. citizens, will be eligible to participate.

The TSA said it plans to expand this pilot program to include United, Southwest, JetBlue, US Airways, Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian airlines, as well as additional airports, once operationally ready.

The TSA said Pistole will work with Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Alan Bersin and the airlines to determine passenger eligibility for this screening pilot, which is limited to U.S. citizens and is voluntary.

All passengers in this pilot are subject to recurrent security checks.

Security experts have long expressed concern about so-called "clean skins" -- potential terrorists who enroll in "trusted traveler" programs to avoid scrutiny during a terror mission. But the TSA says it will continue to incorporate random and unpredictable security measures to address such concerns.

Pistole said other layers of security will remain in place, including intelligence gathering and analysis, explosive-detection canine teams, federal air marshals, closed-circuit television monitoring and behavior detection officers.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/07/14/tsa.trusted.traveler/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
I figured your indignation would only go so far...  Ignore the ramifications of it all and join up for the pre screened credit checked full family history we know your full life story line...