Author Topic: The NFL's new policy on "devastating hits"  (Read 2222 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
The NFL's new policy on "devastating hits"
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:21:52 PM »
its bullshit. if it aint broke, dont fix it.

on a side note here is an interesting tidbit i came across

The folks at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh have uncovered an interesting angle regarding the hit that resulted in the imposition of a $75,000 fine against Steelers linebacker James Harrison.

The league currently is selling photos of the incident involving Harrison and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, at anywhere from $15.95 to $249.95.

Sorry, but the NFL can't have it both ways.  If the league wants to legislate dirty hits out of the game, the NFL should do nothing to profit from those dirty hits. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/league-is-selling-photo-of-james-harrisons-illegal-hit/?related=1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: The NFL's new policy on "devastating hits"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28:45 PM »
Heard someone on the radio this morning say the league was misquoted and did not use the phrase "devastating hits."  Not sure if that's true. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 05:28:24 AM »
I think its fine as long as all they do is enforce the rules already in place, which is what they are supposedly doing.  BUT the real problem is that the type of hits we saw this past weekend are the ones that are played over and over and over.....so what lesson does that teach up and coming players in HS and college?  To not worry about fundamental tackling and just headhunt and launch themselves in a bid to "get on sportscenter." 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
Heard someone on the radio this morning say the league was misquoted and did not use the phrase "devastating hits."  Not sure if that's true. 

Not sure why this matters.

The nfl is taking steps to make their product less violent.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »
why not just pad the players in those sumo suits and let them flop around the field. if ya wants to play football be a man and take the hits. by the way the nfl the league doesn't really care until christopher nowitski the pro wrestler started calling them out on concussions and the leagues lack of concern for the after effects see andre waters. if they cared they won't be talking about an 18 game schedule. 16 and playoffs is enough.
F

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
Before the 2000's, it was pretty common for players to get knocked out of games with concussions only to later come back in the same game. That would never happen now in today's NFL.

Actually......it happened to an Eagle linebacker earlier this season and I was surprised he came back in the game because he was knocked loopy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:03:26 PM »
Not sure why this matters.

The nfl is taking steps to make their product less violent.

You created a thread about a new policy on "devastating hits."  Just pointing out that there may not be any such policy. 

Yes, the NFL is taking steps to make their product less violent, and has been doing so for years.  The QB slide rule.  The hit on a "defenseless receiver" rule.  Helmet to helmet contact, etc.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
I agree with blatant hemlet to helmet hits or intentionally targeting the head but at the same time these guys are running full speed, jumping for balls, cutting, juking and trying to evade ppl so one little misjudgement or unexpected movement and boom...

I think harrison should be fined for the hits he made this passed week but 75k is pretty damn steep if you ask me.

I understand wanting to prevent injury but at the same time its a real fine line between being a nanny and letting the guys play football

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17:26 AM »
I agree with blatant hemlet to helmet hits or intentionally targeting the head but at the same time these guys are running full speed, jumping for balls, cutting, juking and trying to evade ppl so one little misjudgement or unexpected movement and boom...

I think harrison should be fined for the hits he made this passed week but 75k is pretty damn steep if you ask me.

I understand wanting to prevent injury but at the same time its a real fine line between being a nanny and letting the guys play football

totally agree.  They really need to review the hits carefully as I think intent is the key.  A sudden change of direction shouldn't cause a defensive player to pause because he's afraid to hit.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:54:44 AM »
all is solved by the great penn state coach joe paterno. simply take away the facemasks on helmets end of problem.
F

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
all is solved by the great penn state coach joe paterno. simply take away the facemasks on helmets end of problem.

Stupiest fucking thing I ever heard. It shouldn't even be mentioned as a possible option because it will never happen.

How do you go from 50+ years of wearing face masks to all of sudden removing them in today's NFL?? The player's association would never allow it to happen, much less the owners.

The pussification of America has got to stop. Football is a violent sport. Injuries happen. Of course, leading with your helmet deliberately should warrant fines and a possible suspension. But at the end of the day, you got to just let these guys play football.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
totally agree.  They really need to review the hits carefully as I think intent is the key.  A sudden change of direction shouldn't cause a defensive player to pause because he's afraid to hit.
I agree sooner or later your not going to be able to hit above the hips... ::)

If a defensive player has to hesistate b/c he is afraid he may hit a guy in the head the rules have gone to far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 05:31:18 PM »
Stupiest fucking thing I ever heard. It shouldn't even be mentioned as a possible option because it will never happen.

How do you go from 50+ years of wearing face masks to all of sudden removing them in today's NFL?? The player's association would never allow it to happen, much less the owners.

The pussification of America has got to stop. Football is a violent sport. Injuries happen. Of course, leading with your helmet deliberately should warrant fines and a possible suspension. But at the end of the day, you got to just let these guys play football.

Yeah.  I don't think taking away face masks is a good idea at all.  Would be a lot of broken noses, eye injuries, etc. 

Also agree about what they're doing to the sport.  It's a collision sport.  Take reasonable steps to protect players, but let them play football already. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 07:13:22 AM »
One things I've thought about is how the equipment has "improved" over the years, especially shoulder pads and helmets.  While trying to help minimize injury, I think in a lot of ways it's caused players to be even more reckless.  I was thinking about the helmets with the new design that are supposed to help, but if players thing they are invincible because of them, do they really help?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 03:49:07 AM »
I just hope we don't lose the occational devastating hit on those shitty refs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:53 AM »
One things I've thought about is how the equipment has "improved" over the years, especially shoulder pads and helmets.  While trying to help minimize injury, I think in a lot of ways it's caused players to be even more reckless.  I was thinking about the helmets with the new design that are supposed to help, but if players thing they are invincible because of them, do they really help?
that was old joe paterno 's point.
F