Author Topic: RI Dem: Obama can "take his endorsement and shove it. Treats us like an ATM"  (Read 2785 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
RI Democrat: I don't need Obama endorsement
Oct 25, 2010 7:33am Email  Print  PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) —

The Democratic candidate for governor of Rhode Island is reacting angrily to news that he won't be getting the endorsement of President Obama.

http://www.necn.com/10/25/10/RI-Democrat-I-dont-need-Obama-endorsemen/landing_politics.html?&blockID=3&apID=b956b805c1714c84b6c63cba4a54c3c2

________________________ ________________________ ____

Obama is scheduled to visit Rhode Island on Monday, but according to The Providence Journal, won't be endorsing anyone.

Fellow Democrat Frank Caprio told WPRO-AM that Obama can "take his endorsement and shove it."

Caprio called Obama's decision "Washington insider politics at its worst."

One of Caprio's opponents is former Republican U.S. Sen. Lincoln Chafee (CHAY-fee), running for governor as an independent. Chafee endorsed Obama's presidential run.

Caprio said Obama ignored the state after devastating flooding in March.

Caprio is scheduled to appear with Obama at two events Monday.

Republican John Robitaille (ROH'-bih-teye) and Moderate Ken Block are also running.

________________________ __________________

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: RI Democrat; Obama can "take his endorsement and shove it."
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
obama endorses a repub and everyone is pissed.  geez, he could cure cancer and we'd see ten threads about how he singlehandedly put drug companies out of business...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:18:08 AM »
obama endorses a repub and everyone is pissed.  geez, he could cure cancer and we'd see ten threads about how he singlehandedly put drug companies out of business...

::)  ::)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »

Obama f'n sucks and you defend him EVERY single time.Its incredible that you dare call yourself a libertarian when every single thing Obama prposes is against the libertarian platform.Just admit it,your liberal Obama supporter.

By the way,Im not my brothers keeper as that silly community organiser keeps saying and obviously he isnt either as he gives less the 1% of his income to charity every year of his life other then the last one.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:50 AM »
Obama f'n sucks and you defend him EVERY single time.Its incredible that you dare call yourself a libertarian when every single thing Obama prposes is against the libertarian platform.Just admit it,your liberal Obama supporter.

By the way,Im not my brothers keeper as that silly community organiser keeps saying and obviously he isnt either as he gives less the 1% of his income to charity every year of his life other then the last one.

I agree obama sucks.  all politicians do.

however, this is a case where one could comment, "woah, good call there, that was one shitty dem candidate.  Finally obama got one right!"

but hey, carry on, it's a free country until obama destroys the constutition, right?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:29:18 AM »
I agree obama sucks.  all politicians do.

however, this is a case where one could comment, "woah, good call there, that was one shitty dem candidate.  Finally obama got one right!"

but hey, carry on, it's a free country until obama destroys the constutition, right?

No 240 - again - this guy called out obama on his incompetence.  But I guess someone daring to call out the messiahs' negligence and bs is a bridge too far right?   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 09:02:23 AM »
Nesi analysis: Why Caprio whacked Obama
Dem. told president to 'shove' endorsement
Updated: Monday, 25 Oct 2010, 11:47 AM EDT

Ted Nesi
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) - Welcome to Rhode Island, Mister President!

The political world is all atwitter this morning over Democrat Frank Caprio's decision to take to the august airwaves of WPRO to tell President Obama he can "take his endorsement and really shove it." (Rhode Island's would-be next governor left it to our imaginations to figure out where, precisely, the Leader of the Free World should shove said endorsement.)

"We had one of the worst floods in the history of the United States a few months back and President Obama didn't even do a flyover of Rhode Island," Caprio said, according to WPRO. "He ignored us and now he's coming into Rhode Island and treating us like an ATM machine." The station has posted the full audio of the interview here .

Although Bill Clinton came to the Ocean State to campaign for Caprio, Obama – whose presidential run was endorsed by Caprio opponent Lincoln Chafee – has stayed silent in the race . Obama will be in Rhode Island today to support congressional candidates David Cicilline and Jim Langevin and to raise money on Providence's East Side. (U.S. Sen. Scott Brown will be making his own visit to back Cicilline's opponent, John Loughlin.)

Considering that last Friday's Ramussen poll showed Republican John Robitaille and Caprio neck and neck, it's possible this was a calculated effort by Caprio to win the affections of center-right voters who are sour on Obama – unlike Chafee, Caprio isn't known for spouting off without considering his words' effects in advance.

It's worth noting, too, that while Obama's popularity has taken a hit among Rhode Islanders, his favorable rating among Democrats was still at 70% in our latest WPRI poll last month. Get ready for another round of is-Caprio-really-a-Democrat stories.

Cable news has already started discussing the story, according to my Twitter feed, and it's a headline on The Washington Post's site , too. It's hard for me to see how this helps Caprio in the last eight days of the campaign, but I guess you never know.

I wouldn't be surprised if Caprio's comments come up tomorrow night when the four gubernatorial candidates meet for our last televised debate of the campaign. The debate will be held at 7 p.m. at PPAC, and you can order free tickets here if you'd like to attend in person. I'll be live-tweeting, as ever.

Update: Two things. First, I may try to nickname this tempest-in-a-teapot "Shoveitgate." Second, it's currently the top headline on Drudge in bright red.

Update #2: CBS News' Mark Knoller takes a look at the Obama-Caprio-Chafee triangle:

"[Obama] will not be making an endorsement in the race," says White House Deputy Communications Director Jen Psaki. In a Sunday conference call with reporters, Psaki would not explain why the president is distancing himself from Caprio, who is locked in a tight four-way contest to become Rhode Island's chief executive. …

"As titular head of the Democratic Party, President Obama can't endorse Independent Chafee over Democrat Caprio, so he's staying out of the race.

"Caprio's aides don't want it to appear to be a snub of their candidate, though it's hard for it to be viewed any other way.

"The visit to Rhode Island will be Mr. Obama's first since taking office. He'll be attending a $500-per-person fundraising rally followed by a $7,500-per-plate fundraising dinner – both in Providence and both to benefit the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

"To amortize the political cost of his visit to the DCCC, the president first pays an official visit to the American Cord & Webbing Co. in Woonsocket, R.I. He'll tour the company's plastics injection molding operation and then address workers about his administration's efforts to help small businesses like theirs out of the recession."

Update #3: If Caprio's strategy was to draw attention away from Obama's visit – or at least make sure he was on offense in today's coverage, rather than defense – he sure succeeded. His remarks have spread like lightning. That said, I also notice that a lot of the comments on our site, WPRO's and Projo.com are critical of Caprio for speaking disrespectfully of the president of the United States – an unscientific sample, but interesting nonetheless. What do you think? This blog doesn't require you to register, so fire away!

Update #4: Are there other Democratic gubernatorial candidates who'd have liked to receive Obama's endorsement but didn't get it? It's one thing to have the president stay out of a gubernatorial race in, say, Alabama – where his support would likely be a net negative – but this is Rhode Island we're talking about.

Update #5: Giovanni Cicione, who heads the Rhode Island Republican Party, just told The Associated Press that Caprio's comments were disrespectful and cast them as a sign that Caprio's campaign was in "meltdown mode." Naturally, Cicione wants to get that message out as his man, Robitaille, gains in the polls.

"To take that kind of an attitude in a public statement, I think was very disrespectful and I think it's a shame," Cicione said of Caprio. "It shows that he's not the sort of calm collected person he tried to present himself as."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »
. "He ignored us and now he's coming into Rhode Island and treating us like an ATM machine." The station has posted the full audio of the interview here .

________________________ _______________________

Welcome to reality Mr. Caprio.  This is how everyone who actually works for a living has felt the last two years. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 09:51:13 AM »
Bump 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
;D

He didnt endorse anyone.  He is going to promote his own disaster agenda and try to hawk campaign cash. 

Screw him - only govt employees, parasites, welfare bums, and do-nothings support him now.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
Considering the f'n MESS Bush left behind..........Obama is doing as best he can.  8)

4 years after the Dems took over congress, and 2 years after he took over - at what point does he take responsibility for anything? 

Typical of a certain segment of the population never taking responsibility for anything. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Looks like Caprio was right - Obama was using RI as an ATM.   

"SCOOP THE POOP"   ? ? ? ? ? ?

________________________ ________________________ ________

Obama speaks at Chace house, skips lobster, steak
8:18 PM Mon, Oct 25, 2010 | Permalink
News staff    Email 

By John Mulligan
Journal White House Bureau

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- President Obama's final stop was a $7,500-a-head fundraiser in the well-appointed home of Arnold "Buff" and Johnnie Chace on the East Side, not far from Brown University.

The president spoke for about 20 minutes, then left before the dinner of locally grown foods by celebrated Rhode Island chefs -- including lobster risotto -- that Mrs. Chace had planned.

Fewer than 50 were in attendance, according to Eric Hyers, campaign manager for Providence Mayor David N. Cicilline, the Democratic candidate for the House seat being vacated by Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy.

The gathering took place in a living room that featured several oil paintings -- portraits over the facing fireplaces at either end of the room, a seascape, some landscapes and a rustic scene of people in red hunting caps.

Guests wore business attire -- suits and ties, skirts and pantsuits, dark colors predominating.

Guests included three of the four-member Rhode Island Democratic congressional delegation -- Rhode Island Senators Jack Reed and Sheldon Whitehouse and Kennedy. Rep. James R. Langevin had left the presidential party at an earlier stop.

Also on hand: Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee -- who introduced the president -- and Cicilline.

In attendance too, was consultant Ira Magaziner, the Rhode Islander who managed former President Bill Clinton's unsuccessful health care initiative. Magaziner won a friendly acknowledgment from the president.

"He was there for the last round in 1994," said the president, referring to the health care initiative. "He knows how tough it is."

Mr. Obama spoke for around 20 minutes, touching some of the same points he had made during his earlier visit to the factory in Woonsocket:

* On the economy: The unemployment rate might be 12 or 13 percent today had it not been for administration policies.

* On the mood of the electorate: "It's not surprising that the country is angry and the country is frustrated."

* On GOP strategy: It's "to try to ride that anger for as long as possible."

* On the administration's accomplishment's accomplishments; "I could not be prouder" of a record that includes the largest spending on infrastructure since the Eisenhower administration, the largest increase in national service since the Peace Corps and Wall Street reform.

Mr. Obama concluded his remarks at about 7:30, saying he couldn't stay for dinner.

"I've got to go home to tuck in the girls and walk the dog and scoop the poop," he said.

________________________ ________________________

Ha ha ha ha  - what a fool. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Imagine paying $7,500.00 for that only for Obama to say after a few minutes "I have to scoop the poop"   ? ? ? 

Ha ha ha.  Suckers. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »

Obama actually should endorse republicans.With his record of endorsements and campaigning they would be sure to lose.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »

He's not endorsing anyone. 

Not something I would have said, but really funny.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Source: The Providence Journal

5:16 PM Sun, Oct 31, 2010 |
News staff

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Former President Bill Clinton has just concluded a 40-minute speech at a rally for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Frank Caprio…."He ought to be the governor and you could make it happen," Clinton told the crowd of hundreds of people at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium, before leaving the stage to shake hands with members of the audience….The former president and Caprio took the stage together shortly after 4 p.m. …Caprio spoke first, saying "Last week I got knocked down a little bit ... but we don't mind getting knocked down because we get right back up. I'm running for governor because we're going to get this whole state back up."…

Read the Entire Article #:
http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/10/clinton-finishes-spee...

Read more: http://newsblog.projo.com/2010/10/clinton-finishes-spee...