Author Topic: Shawn Ray interviews Lee Haney and why he stopped after 8  (Read 10256 times)

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Shawn Ray interviews Lee Haney and why he stopped after 8
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:41:32 PM »
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/md-interviews/3564-lee-haney-on-why-he-stopped-at-8-mr-olympia-titles.html

Lee Haney surpassed Arnold Schwarzenegger's winning titles by ultimately taking 8 Sandow Trophies.

Listen to why Lee Haney decided to hang it up and leave the bodybuilding stage at the ripe old age of 31 years old. In today's era when men are turning pro in their 30s, what inspired Lee to let it go?

Lee also talks about his kids, his new training system and yes, he even talks about fat bodybuilders that rely on a ketosis diet.

You can hear the arguments now!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: shaw Ray interviews Lee Haney on Why He Stopped at 8 Mr Olympia Titles
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/md-interviews/3564-lee-haney-on-why-he-stopped-at-8-mr-olympia-titles.html

Lee Haney surpassed Arnold Schwarzenegger's winning titles by ultimately taking 8 Sandow Trophies.

Listen to why Lee Haney decided to hang it up and leave the bodybuilding stage at the ripe old age of 31 years old. In today's era when men are turning pro in their 30s, what inspired Lee to let it go?

Lee also talks about his kids, his new training system and yes, he even talks about fat bodybuilders that rely on a ketosis diet.

You can hear the arguments now!

Great stuff , thanks for posting.

he was right he nailed it in 1991 , great champ and looks great.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »
I bet it still dirves Arnold crazy that he has been surpassed in one of his careers.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
I bet it still dirves Arnold crazy that he has been surpassed in one of his careers.

I doubt it , he held that record for years and years and could have won at least 10 if he wanted to

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »
I doubt it , he held that record for years and years and could have won at least 10 if he wanted to

He hasn't, and no, as you know his last win was one of the most controversial decisions in the history of BB. His time was up.

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
YEP.. THE AUSTRALIAN MR O WAS A FARCE.. arnold was 4th or 5 th at best.. he knew it was time to give it up.. only training for 8 weeks for the show ect.. most of that era will tell ya arnold should not have won let alone been considered..

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
He hasn't, and no, as you know his last win was one of the most controversial decisions in the history of BB. His time was up.

do you realize he did that contest on a whim? he didn't properly train as usual for that contest , his time was far from up

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
do you realize he did that contest on a whim? he didn't properly train as usual for that contest , his time was far from up

I don't believe that. That was just an excuse for his poor showing.

Arnold is not the type of guy who'd do contest (or anything) on a whim, without giving 100 %.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 05:20:02 PM »

believe what you'd like , he was training for Conan part 2 I believe and then he got the bug , he wasn't training like he used to and if he had he would have beaten everyone soundly

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
believe what you'd like , he was training for Conan part 2 I believe and then he got the bug , he wasn't training like he used to and if he had he would have beaten everyone soundly

You seem to believe anything what Arnold (or his PR guys) would write in his autobiography. Conan 2 was in 1984 btw, we're talking about the Olympia 1980.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »

Joe Weider said that Arnold could have won 11(1970-80).

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 05:28:43 PM »
Arnold retired at 28 in 1975

he could easily won 76'-79

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
You seem to believe anything what Arnold (or his PR guys) would write in his autobiography. Conan 2 was in 1984 btw, we're talking about the Olympia 1980.

Okay he was training for Conan 1 which same out in 82 and obviously you know filming always starts much earlier

we know he wasn't competing before hand and didn't have enough time to train as he normally would for an Olympia because he was unusually light for this contest , anyone with half a brain can see if he went balls to the wall with his training like he used to he could beat anyone who was on that stage with ease

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
  Joe Weider said that Arnold could have won 11(1970-80).

SUCKMYMUSCLE

I think his only legitimate threat would have been Haney , he would have beaten Franco , Zane , Dickerson and Samir with ease

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »
I think Haney had 9 in him , if he showed up in Helsinki like he did in 91 he would have beaten Yates again but by 1993 he couldn't handle that

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:24 PM »

Arnold is not the type of guy who'd do contest (or anything) on a whim, without giving 100 %.

Arnold was supremely confident and would not have doubted for a second whether he could pull a win out, even on short notice. 

MB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
I think Arnold could have won '70-'83.  14 Sandows!  That's why he's still considered the greatest. 

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »
Arnold quit because he was bored.  But he could have won more. maybe 4 before his shoulders went.

Stavios

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Great interview !

Damn it's refreshing to hear a bodybuilder who doesn't say "dawg" or "bro" at the end of every sentences  8)

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
Yes, he is not an idiot.

Funny pronunciation of Arnold's name at 11:12.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Great interview !

Damn it's refreshing to hear a bodybuilder who doesn't say "dawg" or "bro" at the end of every sentences  8)

Agreed - he's very articulate, and well spoken...a very positive role model.
Team Yates

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
he retired cause dorian was about to own him

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »
The Oak is vastly superior to Haney.  I am glad that Lee has had an otherwise fullfilling life, but he is no Arnold.  No one is or will quite ever be what Arnold is and was.  There is only one Arnold.  With that in mind, will there ever be another Lee Haney?  Nope.  But he still can't compare to Arnold.

Will there ever be another Ronnie Coleman?  Let's hope not.  What a worthless, turgid bag of drugs that one is.  You can win the title of Mr. Olympia eight times, but you can't win the hearts and minds of people with above room temperature IQs and as such  know what it means to be genuinely great.  Coleslaw great?  Yeah, a great big fugly bloated dope addict moron.  He's the Mr. Hankey of bodybuilding, a real turd.  Lee Haney is something of a gentleman and as such outshines Coleman with ease. 

As for Dorian Yates, he is better than Coleslaw.  More articulate (but then so is a two by four) than the turgid turd, and for all intents and purposes appears to be a bit of a thinking man's bodybuilder, perhaps something he picked up from Mike Mentzer.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »
he retired cause dorian was about to own him

I found it interesting he refused to admit that and blew off the topic.
Team Yates

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:20 AM »
I think Haney had 9 in him , if he showed up in Helsinki like he did in 91 he would have beaten Yates again but by 1993 he couldn't handle that

You reckon? I think Dorian would have beaten Haney easily in '92. Haney by that point would have been relying on his name alone to win him the contest - Dorian had already beat him in the muscularity round the previous year and had virtually caught up with him in terms of conditioning. I don't even know had he competed in Helsinki if Haney would have come second either - Levrone looked good that year too and would have given Haney a good run for his money.