Author Topic: Bill Clinton brokered deal for Meek to drop out of Florida Senate Race.  (Read 1560 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Clinton pushed Meek to quit Fla. race
By: Ben Smith
www.politico.com
October 28, 2010 05:50 PM EDT

Bill Clinton sought to persuade Rep. Kendrick Meek to drop out of the race for Senate during a trip to Florida last week — and nearly succeeded.

Meek agreed — twice — to drop out and endorse Gov. Charlie Crist’s independent bid in a last-ditch effort to stop Marco Rubio, the Republican nominee who stands on the cusp of national stardom.

Meek, a staunch Clinton ally from Miami, has failed to broaden his appeal around the state and is mired in third place in most public polls, with a survey today showing him with just 15 percent of the vote. His withdrawal, polls suggest, would throw core Democratic voters to the moderate governor, rocking a complicated three-way contest and likely throwing the election to Crist.

The former president’s top aide, Doug Band, initially served as the intermediary between Meek and Crist, and Clinton became involved only when Meek signaled that he would seriously consider the option, Clinton spokesman Matt McKenna confirmed to POLITICO.

“The argument was: ‘You can be a hero here. You can stop him, you can change this race in one swoop,’” said another Democrat familiar with the conversations, who said Clinton had bluntly told Meek that he couldn’t win the race.

Clinton did not dangle a job in front of Meek, who gave up a safe House seat to run for the Senate, but instead made the case that the move would advance the congressman’s future prospects, said a third Democrat familiar with the conversations.

Clinton campaigned with Meek in Florida on Oct. 19 and 20, and thought he had won Meek over in an evening conversation the night they spent together in Jacksonville. But as the week wore on, Meek lost his enthusiasm for the arrangement, spurred in part, a third Democratic source said, by his wife’s belief that he could still win the race. Clinton spoke with Meek again at week’s end, three Democrats said, and again Meek said he would drop out.

“It was a completely done deal,” one source said.

The Crist, Meek and Clinton camps even set a date for an endorsement rally: the following Tuesday, Oct. 26. Meek was to give Crist his blessing and explain to his disappointed supporters — many of whom deeply distrust the governor, who was elected as a Republican — that their votes could save the Senate for the Democrats and save America from the rise of Rubio, who is viewed both as a hard-line conservative and a potential national figure.

The White House, Democrats said, had knowledge of the plans and viewed them as a path to capturing the Senate seat, but did not initiate the talks.

Last weekend, however, Meek changed his mind.

“Not being seen as a quitter was more important than stopping someone who was so opposed to what you and your party had stood for,” said one Democrat who had been hoping to close the deal.

Representatives for Meek and for the White House did not respond immediately to questions about the plans.

“Our only focus is on uniting common-sense Democrats, independents and Republicans behind Charlie Crist because he’s the only candidate who can defeat tea party extremist Marco Rubio,” Crist spokesman Danny Kanner said.

Rumors that Meek would quit the race began bubbling to the surface early in October, but Meek has publicly scoffed at them.

“The next job that I know I'm going to have is being the next United States senator from the state of Florida,” he said.

© 2010 Capitol News Company, LLC

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
and politico leaks the story as a favor to obama - any voters who weren't quite sure if they should stick with meek or run to crist have an easy choice now - they know their guy almost quit twice.

Crist *could* still win this thing.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
and politico leaks the story as a favor to obama - any voters who weren't quite sure if they should stick with meek or run to crist have an easy choice now - they know their guy almost quit twice.

Crist *could* still win this thing.

Ha ha ha 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Ha ha ha 

i'm telling ya, stranger things have happened.  If Crist was down 7 points (RCp polling today) and there wasn't a 3rd party, I'd say his goose was cooked.

But I personally know a few dems who are Crist all the way.  I'm asking why they aren't voting dem - they either site the teacher veto thing, or they say Meek can't win.  So while they may proudly claim dem status on the phone - it's hard for an everytime voter to punch the ticket for Meek while he's polling 18 percent.

If I was a betting man, I'd stay out of it.  But if I had to bet I'd say 6/5 odds rubio wins, but it's that close.

i'm voting rubio personally... and most ppl here don't hate him or consider him a psycho ala rick scott, who everyone seems to just disdain

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
But, apparently, Meek has decided to stay in the race....for now.

Bill Clinton Pushed Meek To Drop Out Of Race

MIAMI (CBS4) ― Former President Bill Clinton tried to convince Representative Kendrick Meek to drop out of the Florida Senate race last week and Meek agreed twice, before changing his mind.

Governor Charlie Crist's campaign has confirmed the accuracy of the story and the latest polls show Meek struggling to get 15 percent of the vote. CBS News and CNN have also confirmed Politico's story as being correct.

Meek was set to endorse Crist on Tuesday before he changed his mind.

CBS4's Michael Williams talked to Democratic sources who told him the White House would have been comfortable with Charlie Crist as the U.S. Senator from Florida, but the White House wouldn't ask Meek to withdraw.

Congressman Meek's campaign manager, Abe Dyk, released a statement just before 7:30 p.m. vehemently denying Politico's story:

"The article is not true. Kendrick Meek was never dropping out of this race, is never dropping out of this race, and will never drop out of this race. Kendrick Meek will always stand up for the middle class and will not leave Floridians a choice between two lifelong conservative Republicans who only stand with the special interests. Kendrick is the Democratic nominee so if anyone should drop out, it's Charlie Crist."

Assuming all of Meek's support transferred to Crist, it would propel Crist to victory over Republican Marco Rubio. Politico said Clinton's argument was that Meek couldn't win and he could "be a hero," and stop Rubio.

The proposal came while Clinton campaigned with Meek in Florida on October 19 and 20. Clinton thought he had convinced Meek during an evening conversation in Jacksonville. However, Meek lost interest because of, as Politco reported, his wife's belief he could still win the election.

Clinton would again speak with Meek at the end of the week and Meek again agreed to drop out. Meek was set to give Crist his endorsement and explain to voters it could save the Senate for the Democrats, according to Politico's report.

But Meek again decided to stick it out because he would rather not be seen as a quitter than stop someone, like Rubio, who is opposed to what the Democratic Party stood for, Politico said.

"Our only focus is on uniting common-sense Democrats, independents and Republicans behind Charlie Crist because he's the only candidate who can defeat tea party extremist Marco Rubio," Crist spokesman Danny Kanner said in a statement.

Rumors have constantly swirled that Meek would drop out and endorse Crist, but the Congressman has always said there was no truth to the rumors.

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele said, "One can only imagine the response if Republican leadership tried to force out of the race – in the 11th hour – a qualified black candidate like Kendrick Meek."

http://cbs4.com/local/clinton.meek.senate.2.1985911.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
it's public now.  if 35% of Meek supporters break for Crist, then Crist wins.  Will 1 in 3 realize they're throwing their vote away?

And, now that the story is out and meek is undermined, will Crist offer him some position down the road to drop out?  We remember Angle was caught on tape promising "juice" to lesser competitors to leave the race, so unless we condemned that, we should STFU here :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
so unless we condemned that, we should STFU here :)
by that standard you should stop posting on the politics board all together since you have given passes to liberals while condemning reps and flip flopped so many time even you dont know what you believe anymore  :D  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
it's public now.  if 35% of Meek supporters break for Crist, then Crist wins.  Will 1 in 3 realize they're throwing their vote away?

And, now that the story is out and meek is undermined, will Crist offer him some position down the road to drop out?  We remember Angle was caught on tape promising "juice" to lesser competitors to leave the race, so unless we condemned that, we should STFU here :)

It's too late. Early voting has already started. In fact, I mailed in my ballot two weeks ago. I think Rubio's got it.

Meek claimed that he ain't leaving and denied other reports that "sources" claimed that Meek twice decided to drop out of the race but changed his mind at the last minute.

Congressman Meek's campaign manager, Abe Dyk, released a statement just before 7:30 p.m. vehemently denying Politico's story:

"The article is not true. Kendrick Meek was never dropping out of this race, is never dropping out of this race, and will never drop out of this race. Kendrick Meek will always stand up for the middle class and will not leave Floridians a choice between two lifelong conservative Republicans who only stand with the special interests. Kendrick is the Democratic nominee so if anyone should drop out, it's Charlie Crist."

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
If Crist beats Rubio this country is REALLY in the shitter more than it already is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Wow - John Batchelor on WABC 770 NYC just reported that Obama asked Meek to drop out and that Meeks' wife blew up and made her husband stay in.  The reporter said that blacks in the know are in revolt against the obama WH and how they are acting. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Bill Clinton brokered deal for Meek to drop out of Florida Senate Race.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
Wow - John Batchelor on WABC 770 NYC just reported that Obama asked Meek to drop out and that Meeks' wife blew up and made her husband stay in.  The reporter said that blacks in the know are in revolt against the obama WH and how they are acting. 

Either way - Dem voters in FL are now aware of the unofficial CRIST ENDORSEMENT from both Clinton and the White House.

A whole lotta dem voters are reading this story saying "I sure loves me some Bill Clinton, and he wants me to vote Crist, I'm on it..."

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
by that standard you should stop posting on the politics board all together since you have given passes to liberals while condemning reps and flip flopped so many time even you dont know what you believe anymore  :D  ;D

You should see some of the left-winged goofies at Huffington Post. They are actually clamoring for Meek to drop out, for the "good of the party".

Imagine that. The tried-and-true supporter of Obama and his policies is supposed to fall on the sword and endorse a flip-flopping "independent" like Crist, all to stop Rubio from winning.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
You should see some of the left-winged goofies at Huffington Post. They are actually clamoring for Meek to drop out, for the "good of the party".

Imagine that. The tried-and-true supporter of Obama and his policies is supposed to fall on the sword and endorse a flip-flopping "independent" like Crist, all to stop Rubio from winning.

We have getbiggers who would put in Madoff/Vandersloot in 2012 - ABO Anyone But Obama.

So it works that way on both sides of the aisle.  Crist will vote with dems on SOME issues, Rubio will vote with dems on ZERO percent of the issues. 

Crist has higher ambitions (a perfect moderate VP selection ala lieberman for a far-right palin in 2012), and he's old.

Rubio is young and hispanic - he could hold this seat for 20 years.  Dems fear the shit out of him! 

So yes, they're following the ABR Anyone But Rubio plan on this one.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:16:27 AM »
Either way - Dem voters in FL are now aware of the unofficial CRIST ENDORSEMENT from both Clinton and the White House.

A whole lotta dem voters are reading this story saying "I sure loves me some Bill Clinton, and he wants me to vote Crist, I'm on it..."

::)

Rubio will probably go over 50% at this point. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
We have getbiggers who would put in Madoff/Vandersloot in 2012 - ABO Anyone But Obama.

So it works that way on both sides of the aisle.  Crist will vote with dems on SOME issues, Rubio will vote with dems on ZERO percent of the issues. 

Crist has higher ambitions (a perfect moderate VP selection ala lieberman for a far-right palin in 2012), and he's old.

Rubio is young and hispanic - he could hold this seat for 20 years.  Dems fear the shit out of him! 

So yes, they're following the ABR Anyone But Rubio plan on this one.

Agreed -      Ramirez/Menedez 2012   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 06:25:24 AM »
::)

Rubio will probably go over 50% at this point. 

anything is possible... but there are going to be SOME dem voters who will now select Crist because Clinton essentially told them to.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 06:26:36 AM »
anything is possible... but there are going to be SOME dem voters who will now select Crist because Clinton essentially told them to.

Yeah, but other blacks are going to stay home because they are so pissed off. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
Remember when clinton tried to get Sestak to drop out of the race in PA due to the deal Obama made with spectre to change parties? 

How quickly we all forget.   

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Agreed -      Ramirez/Menedez 2012   

Can we go with Palin/Christie, instead?

BTW, my thread was here first!!!

;D

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

The most idiotic thing Ive ever heard.Blacks will not,under any condition vote for Crist.They will either stay home or vote for Meeks.Either way Rubio wins by 15pts.Here is a prediction.Crist will lose by more then ODonnel will on election night.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 12:23:15 PM »
The most idiotic thing Ive ever heard.Blacks will not,under any condition vote for Crist.They will either stay home or vote for Meeks.Either way Rubio wins by 15pts.Here is a prediction.Crist will lose by more then ODonnel will on election night.

Don't count O'Donnell out just yet. Latest poll has her within 10 points of Coons. And she has the edge on independents. In fact, Obama's flying out to Delaware AGAIN.......not something you'd do, if Coons had this raced locked up.

Plus, Rubio is up 20 in a Sunshine State News poll over Crist and 23 over Meek.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
Don't count O'Donnell out just yet. Latest poll has her within 10 points of Coons. And she has the edge on independents. In fact, Obama's flying out to Delaware AGAIN.......not something you'd do, if Coons had this raced locked up.

Plus, Rubio is up 20 in a Sunshine State News poll over Crist and 23 over Meek.

CNN has her closing in on him and remember- Brown was down 10 in MAss.  Additionally, dem turnout is going to be light and gop huge. 

She definately has a chance. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
CNN has her closing in on him and remember- Brown was down 10 in MAss.  Additionally, dem turnout is going to be light and gop huge. 

She definately has a chance. 

This is like needing a 60-yard field goal to win (i.e. BUCS-Eagles 2006).

BTW, did you have my thread on "Slick Willie" and Kendrick Meek erased?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
This is like needing a 60-yard field goal to win (i.e. BUCS-Eagles 2006).

BTW, did you have my thread on "Slick Willie" and Kendrick Meek erased?

Hell no! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »
Polling Data
________________________ ___________________

Poll Date Sample Rubio (R) Crist (I) Meek (D) Spread
RCP Average 10/15 - 10/27 -- 43.5 30.2 19.5 Rubio +13.3
Sunshine State News/VSS 10/26 - 10/27 1576 LV 47 27 23 Rubio +20
Mason-Dixon 10/25 - 10/27 625 LV 45 28 21 Rubio +17
Quinnipiac 10/18 - 10/24 784 LV 42 35 15 Rubio +7
TCPalm.com/Zogby 10/18 - 10/21 802 LV 40 33 18 Rubio +7
St. Petersburg Times 10/15 - 10/19 577 LV 41 26 20 Rubio +15
CNN/Time 10/15 - 10/19 798 LV 46 32 20 Rubio +14