Author Topic: ground zero mosque  (Read 1535 times)

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
ground zero mosque
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
if the tea party folks are so passionate about our freedom, why are they trying to restrict our freedom to worship as we please?  ???
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: ground zero mosque
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
if the tea party folks are so passionate about our freedom, why are they trying to restrict our freedom to worship as we please?  ???

This has been gone over 1000x.  Nobody's arguing their right to build, they're arguing whether it's appropriate or not.  Your post is a strawman.
Y

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
if liberals are all about freedom of speech why are the always trying to censor ppl???

::) ::) ::)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »

Funny how some people completely don't get what the tea party is about. The tea parties main platform consist of keeping the free-market free, lowering taxes, reducing the size of government, reducing debt and spending, holding all laws passed to constitutional approval, etc. The tea party does not stand on a platform of restricting the practice of religious freedom nor the freedom of worship for any religion.

With that in mind, we know that around 2/3 of the population are opposed to the ground zero mosque, we also know that the tea party does not have the support of 2/3 of the nation. What can we gather from this? Opposition to the mosque goes far beyond the tea party.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »
This has been gone over 1000x.  Nobody's arguing their right to build, they're arguing whether it's appropriate or not.  Your post is a strawman.

not true guy, people here were arguing that they shouldbnt be allowed to build
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »
if liberals are all about freedom of speech why are the always trying to censor ppl???

::) ::) ::)

When are liberals ever for freedom other than abortion or gay marriag?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »
not true guy, people here were arguing that they shouldbnt be allowed to build

You're right, people are arguing that they shouldn't be allowed to build. No one is denying that they have the right to build, everyone admits that, some are simply saying they don't want them to have that right when it comes to building this thing at GZ.

Why is this thing so hard for some to see?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
I'm looking for the word 'appropriate' in the constitution.

They talk about all sorts of legal stuff... but somehow the Hallmark touchy-feely "appropriateness" clause eludes me.

We should be able to pick and choose which religions are allowed to worship where because of public opinion.  Cool.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »

They talk about all sorts of legal stuff... but somehow the Hallmark touchy-feely "appropriateness" clause eludes me.

We should be able to pick and choose which religions are allowed to worship where because of public opinion.  Cool.

::)

I would tell you to shut the fuck up but I have slightly more respect for you than the other space cadets on here.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 11:36:39 AM »
i appreciate it man :)

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
It's not the act of building a mosque, it's that it planned for ground zero.  

They have been offered the ability to build in a neighboring area that isn't considered part of "ground zero," and they refused.  At that point, it was no longer that they wanted to build a mosque.  They only wanted to build a mosque at ground zero.  

No one would make much of a fuss about a group simply wanting to erect a monument to Japanese culture, but people would make a fuss about that group wanting to erect that monument only at Pearl Harbor.  

You could say the same thing about a monument to Germanic culture at Auschwitz or Birkenau.

There are also many sites devoted to nuclear technology, even historical monuments to nuclear weapons, but you're not going to find a monument celebrating nuclear weaponry at Hiroshima.

I don't understand how people feel they have to take some kind of absolute stance on things and then try to make every scenario either fit with or against those absolutes instead of looking at each situation individually.

Y

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 12:54:38 PM »

I know you don't like acknowledging this but no one is arguing that they don't have a constitutional right to build it...no one has said it's constitutionally inappropriate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »

The "tea party folks" are not the people upset about the GZ mosque.  For example, go read what Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz thinks about this. 

And the following is a little puzzling:  "why are they trying to restrict our freedom to worship as we please?"  Who are "our" and "we"?  You referring to the foreign money that is likely funding a substantial portion of this mosque?   

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:13:28 PM »
You're right, people are arguing that they shouldn't be allowed to build. No one is denying that they have the right to build, everyone admits that, some are simply saying they don't want them to have that right when it comes to building this thing at GZ.

Why is this thing so hard for some to see?

You want to ban all religious centers at GZ?  ???
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
The "tea party folks" are not the people upset about the GZ mosque.  For example, go read what Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz thinks about this. 

And the following is a little puzzling:  "why are they trying to restrict our freedom to worship as we please?"  Who are "our" and "we"?  You referring to the foreign money that is likely funding a substantial portion of this mosque?   

There are muslims americans you know....
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
You want to ban all religious centers at GZ?  ???

The question is why do some people insist upon always twisting everything others say. For example, if I say I don't like apples, your response might be "So you're saying you want to ban all fruit." Can you see how re-re this is?

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »
The question is why do some people insist upon always twisting everything others say. For example, if I say I don't like apples, your response might be "So you're saying you want to ban all fruit." Can you see how re-re this is?

That's so far off it's comical....

I just want to understand, I really do.

Won't this open the door to also limiting where Christians, and Jews can worship?  Maybe the Muslims in cities in Michigan aren't comfortable with Synagogues in their neighborhood, can the local muslim populations restrict those?

TEAM LAURA LEE!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

I see.  You were referring to Americans who happen to Muslim, but not the foreigners financing the mosque? 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »

I am so sick of hearing things like that: there are Muslim Americans, Christian Americans, black Americans, white Americans, Chinese Americans, on and on and on....

How about there are just Americans and there are good things we do and bad things we do, smart things we do and stupid things we do, etc, etc.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 02:25:01 PM »

That is so true.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:28 PM »
That's so far off it's comical....

I just want to understand, I really do.

Won't this open the door to also limiting where Christians, and Jews can worship?  Maybe the Muslims in cities in Michigan aren't comfortable with Synagogues in their neighborhood, can the local muslim populations restrict those?

Again, no one is saying they can't build, no one is saying there should be a law to prohibit them from building. But if you are going to do so you must do so within the required limits of the law, you must provide full-disclosure.

If I'm building a structure on land I own, and on the land I am building the church of Hitler, fine, I have that right...distasteful? Absolutely, but I have the right. Now, if to build this church I am receiving funds to build from groups around the world who are Jew killing machines, if I am receiving money from enemies of the U.S. and in-turn supporting them as well, the story then changes...I have then forfeited my liberty to build my church unless I can prove otherwise and if I absolutely refuse disclosure, how does that look?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »
Nothing like rehashing the rehash.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »
Nothing like rehashing the rehash.

lol.  Slow news day.   :)

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
Again, no one is saying they can't build, no one is saying there should be a law to prohibit them from building. But if you are going to do so you must do so within the required limits of the law, you must provide full-disclosure.

If I'm building a structure on land I own, and on the land I am building the church of Hitler, fine, I have that right...distasteful? Absolutely, but I have the right. Now, if to build this church I am receiving funds to build from groups around the world who are Jew killing machines, if I am receiving money from enemies of the U.S. and in-turn supporting them as well, the story then changes...I have then forfeited my liberty to build my church unless I can prove otherwise and if I absolutely refuse disclosure, how does that look?

fine, i was mistaken.

I was under the impression that people actually wanted to completely ban any mosques from being built at GZ.

I agree completely, they should be made to do it to the full extent of whats required legally, and if they can't comply they should be denied...
TEAM LAURA LEE!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »
fine, i was mistaken.

I was under the impression that people actually wanted to completely ban any mosques from being built at GZ.

I agree completely, they should be made to do it to the full extent of whats required legally, and if they can't comply they should be denied... detained

fixed