Author Topic: Hot Stove in Baseball - Who's going where?  (Read 20283 times)

body88

Re: Hot Stove in Baseball - Who's going where?
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
Bard has potential but who knows...there's only one Mo.he's ageless.

This is true.

The hate for Paplebon is overblown. He was easily one of the best closers in the MLB last year. People got used to his lights out performances when they sox were winning titles.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »
Werth to D.C.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »
Werth to D.C.

7 years to a guy who is 32.  Insane.
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
This is true.

The hate for Paplebon is overblown. He was easily one of the best closers in the MLB last year. People got used to his lights out performances when they sox were winning titles.

Very true. Pap is a freak but also a douche. He's shown zero respect to the fans and the FO of the Red sox. Even stating he is going to the highest offer. The passive aggressiveness in me says fuck him and make Bard the closer and Pap the set up man(just to drop his value next year in FA). However, everybody knows that the best picture(not starting) is the 8th inning man(set up man) these days. Closers are going to be extint soon. Fuck Pap and his bad ass persona

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 08:32:14 AM »
Carl Crawford to the Sox.

....RedSox are ruining baseball by spending all that $!!!

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
FUCKING KIDDING ME?! It will hurt that much more when the yanks smack em around i guess  ;) >:(

Yanks offered lee 7/160-165.....i dont like it.

little article on greinke

Greinke is OK with pinstripes

By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports Nov 30, 4:00 pm EST

If the New York Yankees somehow lose out on the Cliff Lee(notes) sweepstakes, they still may have a shot at getting an ace to go alongside CC Sabathia(notes).
Though Kansas City starter Zack Greinke(notes) has a no-trade clause in his contract that includes the Yankees and other big-market teams, a source close to the right-hander suggested he would happily pitch anywhere that would provide a winning team.

“I wouldn’t put it past him to go to New York,” the source said. “I don’t think he’d rule out anybody. He says he likes New York. Especially because they’re winners. He wants to go to a team that wins.
More From Jeff Passan

“He’s got a list, but in the process, a lot of people have lists.”
The source suggested Greinke’s preference for a no-trade clause had nothing to do with his feelings about pitching in a large market, as many have interpreted because of his earlier battles with anxiety issues. Instead, no-trade clauses often give a player leverage to negotiate a new contract, something that Greinke could utilize were the Royals to engage with one of the teams on his list.
Foxsports.com reported that Greinke can submit 15 teams this season to which he could block a trade and that his no-trade privileges expire after this season. Greinke’s salary jumps to $13.5 million in 2011 and 2012, the last two seasons of a four-year extension he signed before he won the American League Cy Young Award in 2009.

Because of the no-trade clause, Greinke has been linked exclusively with teams that operate in mild media markets similar to Kansas City’s – namely the Texas Rangers and Minnesota Twins. The Royals have continued to talk about Greinke with the Yankees, according to a source, knowing that the no-trade clause isn’t the impediment it’s been made out to be.

Kansas City’s options with Greinke are plentiful. They could try to maximize his value by trading him before the season or hope it improves by the All-Star break with a return to 2009 form after he posted a 4.07 ERA last season. They could keep him around for another season and hope the wave of minor league talent – the Royals’ farm system is recognized by scouts and talent evaluators as the best in baseball by a significant margin – convinces him to re-sign. Or they could make a run at the AL Central title with Greinke and the youth in 2012. If the Royals do deal Greinke, they expect return commensurate with what Texas received for Mark Teixeira(notes) in 2007: at least one major league-ready player and multiple high-level prospects.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
2nd, don't believe everything you read.  Remember when I said NY wasn't in on Crawford and that Boston was a landing spot?

How would anyone know what NY offered?  They always keep their stuff under wraps.  If they do go to 7 on Lee, it's not ideal, but he should be elite for at least 3 and good for a couple.  He's the type of pitcher who doesn't get by on power, so decline shouldn't be as steep.

20+M for Crawford is ludicrous, but money doesn't matter when you're talking NY or Boston.  It's getting the player that counts.  Good signing.

Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:35 AM »
2nd, don't believe everything you read.  Remember when I said NY wasn't in on Crawford and that Boston was a landing spot?

erroneus, really. What makes you think i took that as gospel? I put the damn thing in quotes for gods sake.

How would anyone know what NY offered?  They always keep their stuff under wraps.  If they do go to 7 on Lee, it's not ideal, but he should be elite for at least 3 and good for a couple.  He's the type of pitcher who doesn't get by on power, so decline shouldn't be as steep.

He'll be 33 next year. He's gonna be lights out until hes 36-37? When during any part of his career has he shown elite consistency? He hasnt. He hasnt shown that sustained level of elite pitching over a number of years. What im saying is, he hasnt been a #1 guy from day one. But, the yankees print money so whatever.

20+M for Crawford is ludicrous, but money doesn't matter when you're talking NY or Boston.  It's getting the player that counts.  Good signing.

I agree. He doesn hit for power. I dont care that he hit 20 dingers this year. He was playing for a contract. The guys game is built on his legs. This is a bit of a gamble.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 09:08:54 AM »
erroneus, really. What makes you think i took that as gospel? I put the damn thing in quotes for gods sake.

He'll be 33 next year. He's gonna be lights out until hes 36-37? When during any part of his career has he shown elite consistency? He hasnt. He hasnt shown that sustained level of elite pitching over a number of years. What im saying is, he hasnt been a #1 guy from day one. But, the yankees print money so whatever.

I agree. He doesn hit for power. I dont care that he hit 20 dingers this year. He was playing for a contract. The guys game is built on his legs. This is a bit of a gamble.

Left field at Fenway will help compinsate for his beelow average, and the Green Monster will help his homers and batting average...but yes a bit of a gamble.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 09:11:06 AM »
nope, nothing will convince me.

150$ million for crawford is PATHETIC.

This off-season as a whole has been filled with pathetic contracts.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »

I wasn't inferring you took it as gospel.  Sorry if you read it that way.

Cliff Lee is a unique pitcher to evaluate.  You can point to his inconsistency, as you stated, but you have to view Lee almost like two separate pitchers:  pre 2007 and post 2007.   You may know this, but Lee was sent to the friggin' minor leagues in 2007 because he was horrible.  Since they "fixed" him, he's put together 3 seasons of phenomenal pitching.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
nope, nothing will convince me.

150$ million for crawford is PATHETIC.

This off-season as a whole has been filled with pathetic contracts.

Crawford's contract is silly, no matter how you slice it.  But, as said, it's irrelevant.  Boston has successfully replaced Beltre/Martinez production, and gotten better defensive at 1st and OF, and downgraded slightly at 3b defense.  It was a good move.
Y

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
A little OT, but where do you guys think cano will hit next year?

Will they slide teix down to #5 spot?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
I wasn't inferring you took it as gospel.  Sorry if you read it that way.

Cliff Lee is a unique pitcher to evaluate.  You can point to his inconsistency, as you stated, but you have to view Lee almost like two separate pitchers:  pre 2007 and post 2007.   You may know this, but Lee was sent to the friggin' minor leagues in 2007 because he was horrible.  Since they "fixed" him, he's put together 3 seasons of phenomenal pitching.

Oh ok, no worries then  :)

I still think 7 years is too much. But again, theyre printing money.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
A little OT, but where do you guys think cano will hit next year?

Will they slide teix down to #5 spot?

I think they keep Cano in the 5 spot and see If Mark rebounds....if he struggles then Cano goes to three.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 09:51:40 AM »

I think they keep Cano in the 5 spot and see If Mark rebounds....if he struggles then Cano goes to three.

It's a good problem to have.  I don't think it matters which guy hits where.
Y

body88

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2010, 05:13:09 PM »
The reason the sox can throw big money around is because of the strength of their farm system. For example, Lester and Bucky, two of the best pitchers in the MLB are going to cost them a combined 7 million next year.

Yes,the sox spend big bucks and they buy players, but they also have a lot of homegrown talent on the team

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »
Rays will struggle this year and it will back to the Sox vs Yanks.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »
I can see them winning 80-85 games this year. Their pitching staff is still pretty solid. Still have longoria. And a couple nice young prospects.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2010, 08:09:50 AM »
Rays will struggle this year and it will back to the Sox vs Yanks.

True.  But I still think it all boils down to which team remains the healthiest.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »
Yanks offer Lee a seventh year.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2010, 09:26:53 AM »
Yanks offer Lee a seventh year.

I dont post heresay  >:( ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
If Lee is like all the other players in baseball, he hopefully follows the money.
Y

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »
I was wrong. Never thought they would sign Crawford.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
So yea...no lee for the yankees.

This should be fun.  :)