Author Topic: Keith Olbermann suspended from MSNBC "Indefinately"  (Read 8983 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Keith Olbermann suspended from MSNBC "Indefinately"
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »

Olbermann contributed to three Dems
By: Simmi Aujla
November 5, 2010 06:00 AM EDT '
www.politico.com

________________________ _____________

MSNBC host Keith Olbermann made campaign contributions to two Arizona members of Congress and failed Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway ahead of Tuesday’s election — a potential violation of NBC ethics policies.

Olbermann, who acknowledged the contributions in a statement to POLITICO, made the maximum legal donations of $2,400 apiece to Conway and to Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords. He donated to the Arizona pair on Oct. 28 — the same day that Grijalva appeared as a guest on Olbermann’s “Countdown” show.

Grijalva, a prominent liberal who was just declared a winner in his race Thursday night, was in a tight contest against tea-party-backed candidate Ruth McClung when he appeared on "Countdown" — one of several appearances he made on the show.

NBC has a rule against employees contributing to political campaigns, and a wide range of news organizations prohibit political contributions — considering it a breach of journalistic independence to contribute to the candidates they cover.

Olbermann, who has become one of the most prominent liberal commentators on cable television, has been a critic of the political donations made by Fox News’s parent company, News Corp., which contributed $1 million each to a pair of organizations trying to defeat Democratic candidates.

MSNBC President Phil Griffin also tweaked rival network Fox over the contributions. “Show me an example of us fundraising,” Griffin told The New York Times last month.

POLITICO discovered the Olbermann donation to Grijalva in a Federal Election Commission filing, and when MSNBC was asked for a comment, it forwarded a statement from Olbermann:

“One week ago, on the night of Thursday October 28 2010, after a discussion with a friend about the state of politics in Arizona, I donated $2,400 each to the reelection campaigns of Democratic Representatives Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords,” Olbermann said. “I also donated the same amount to the campaign of Democratic Senatorial candidate Jack Conway in Kentucky.”

In his statement, Olbermann said he wasn’t using his influence to solicit any donations for the candidates.

“I did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns, nor to any others in this election or any previous ones, nor have I previously donated to any political campaign at any level,” Olbermann said.

Under FEC rules, an individual donor may give only $2,400 to a candidate per general election campaign. The FEC filings for Olbermann’s contributions list an address that is a Mailboxes Etc. storefront in New York, and it also lists his occupation as a newscaster for NBC Television.

MSNBC declined to comment on Olbermann.

“Countdown With Keith Olbermann” started in 2003 as a traditional news show but evolved into a left-leaning opinion program. Olbermann has tripled MSNBC’s ratings at 8 p.m., and much of the network’s recent evolution has followed his lead. In the past two years, MSNBC’s left-leaning opinionated hosts have helped propel it past CNN in prime time, and even lately during the daytime, too.

MSNBC has branded Olbermann as a prominent face in its new “Lean Forward” marketing campaign, which has been designed to show that the network clearly wants to be the cable news voice of the left, but the company has a policy that warns against political contributions.

A 2007 MSNBC.com story laid out the rules for the network regarding such contributions:

"Anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the president of NBC News or his designee.”

News Corp., the parent company of Fox News, came under fire from liberals during the past election cycle for its contributions to the Republican Governors Association and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

On Oct. 7, Olbermann had House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.) on his show to discuss the donations. At one point, he asked Clyburn: “Is there a legislative response to the idea that there is a national cable-news outlet that goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party?”

Olbermann’s contributions came amid a brutal campaign season for Democrats.

Giffords had appeared on Olbermann’s program in May, as did Conway. During his more recent broadcasts, Olbermann also made frequent references to the “Aqua Buddha” controversy involving Conway’s Republican Senate rival, Rand Paul, who handily won election Tuesday.

Grijalva had seemed to be in a safe race until the month before the election, when he became targeted by outside groups. In mid-October, national Democratic interests began putting money into his district to compete with fundraising for McClung from outside conservative groups.

On Oct. 28, Grijalva went on Olbermann’s show and fielded questions about a story linking profit motives of private prisons to Arizona's new immigration crackdown. It was the sixth time Grijalva had appeared on "Countdown" in a little more than the past six months.

Grijalva not only opposed the immigration law — known as S.B. 1070 — but inadvertently put himself in electoral jeopardy by calling for an economic boycott of his own home state in response, a move that didn't go over so well with cash-strapped Arizonans.

"It's almost extraordinary to believe that once we got past the original phony reason for it, which was security at the border, when obviously it didn't pertain to that whatsoever, that the real reason behind that was well, this is to intimidate people of Hispanic descent. Well, it turns out there's an even more base, cynical reason behind it. Am I wrong about this?" Olbermann asked. "Is there anything you can tell us about the relationship between these private prisons and the lawmakers who supported this monstrosity of a bill?”

Grijalva responded: "It is a wonderful I-told-you-so moment."

Keach Hagey contributed to this report.

© 2010 Capitol News Company, LLC

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Keith Olbermann suspended from MSNBC "Indefinately"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
hahaha!! nice!

I nominate
Countdown with Drinking With Bob
as the replacement!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
Drinking w bob would be great. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »
Drinking w bob would be great. 

240 is Back likes this

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »
240 is Back likes this

They will probably give it to some other loon on the left like Nate Silver, O'Donnell, etc. 

They need to get someone on the right over there. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
Who freaking cares if political commentators give money to candidates?Geeze,Olbermann shills for libs every single night,is it a surprise he gives money to them as well.I thought in America we had the right to free association.This is stupid.I could see if he was a legit news guy,the guy is a political commentator who gives opinions.Another sad example of a loss of freedom in America.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:16:52 AM »
50% of Americans think the MSM is too liberal.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
Who freaking cares if political commentators give money to candidates?Geeze,Olbermann shills for libs every single night,is it a surprise he gives money to them as well.I thought in America we had the right to free association.This is stupid.I could see if he was a legit news guy,the guy is a political commentator who gives opinions.Another sad example of a loss of freedom in America.

They were probably looking for a reason to get rid of him. 

He is simply unwatchable. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:20:49 AM »
They were probably looking for a reason to get rid of him. 

He is simply unwatchable. 

I agree with that and there are few human beings I hate more.But the guy is an opinion maker,not a news guy.He is a blatant lib who shills for libs,why shouldnt he be allowed to give money to libs?What doi you think helps libs running for office more?Olbermann shilling for them on a totally liberal network everynight,or him giving 2,500 dollars?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
I agree with that and there are few human beings I hate more.But the guy is an opinion maker,not a news guy.He is a blatant lib who shills for libs,why shouldnt he be allowed to give money to libs?What doi you think helps libs running for office more?Olbermann shilling for them on a totally liberal network everynight,or him giving 2,500 dollars?

I don't watch much TV at all, but will tell you - I simply cant watch him.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
the quality of his show has dropped in the last 2 years.  he was VERY good as a Bush attack dog - he had his facts, and while he was a tad dramatic at times, he did a good job at pointing out Repub's flaws.

At this point, he is being forced to DEFEND the dems - and attack dogs aren't good at defense.  He mocks Boehnner's orange skin color instead of policy, etc.

He's a lot like Palin, actually.  he's good at poking at flaws at the party in charge (gotcha points and one-liners), but when it comes to defending the party in charge, he's a fumbling mess.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:11 AM »
the quality of his show has dropped in the last 2 years.  he was VERY good as a Bush attack dog - he had his facts, and while he was a tad dramatic at times, he did a good job at pointing out Repub's flaws.

At this point, he is being forced to DEFEND the dems - and attack dogs aren't good at defense.  He mocks Boehnner's orange skin color instead of policy, etc.

He's a lot like Palin, actually.  he's good at poking at flaws at the party in charge (gotcha points and one-liners), but when it comes to defending the party in charge, he's a fumbling mess.

240 - my issue is that there is simply no real debate or new making going on. 

They get a bunch of liberal jewish dweebs from upper west side of manhattan to kneepad for Obama and thats it.  Who the hell wants to watch that?   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »

The reason I cant stand him is not his liberal views,not his politics,its the way he has to snort after every sentance he finnishes and almost cant controll his own laughter at his own wit and humor.Its as though every line he utters he thinks its almost beyond brilliant and he can barely contain himself at how bright he thinks he is and how entertaining and amusing he thinks he is.But the fact is,he is not entertaining nor amusing.He is a Dennis Miller wannabe without the wit or humor.If you could buy him for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth you would be the richest man on the planet.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
I don't watch MSNBC because they never debate, its all lib all the time. 

I like when Pat B. is on Morning Joe when I wake up for some reality, but thats it. 

They had on Dashcle this morning to talk up obamacare.  Ha ha ha   ::)   ::)   

How retarded are these people?    Even joe S. is a fair weathered conservative at best. 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

Free association doesn't apply if it was clearly stated in his contract he was not allowed to do so.  Contractual agreements supersede given rights as you are voluntarily giving up said rights when signing the agreement.  If you don't like the terms, negotiate to have them altered or work somewhere else.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
Free association doesn't apply if it was clearly stated in his contract he was not allowed to do so.  Contractual agreements supersede given rights as you are voluntarily giving up said rights when signing the agreement.  If you don't like the terms, negotiate to have them altered or work somewhere else.

True - you would think he would have at least looked into that before sending $ $ $

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »
I don't watch MSNBC because they never debate, its all lib all the time. 

I like when Pat B. is on Morning Joe when I wake up for some reality, but thats it. 

They had on Dashcle this morning to talk up obamacare.  Ha ha ha   ::)   ::)   

How retarded are these people?    Even joe S. is a fair weathered conservative at best. 

i wake up to Morning Joe, too.
He gives me just a little woody.
w

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »

The point is,its a stupid clause.Is MSNBC trying to pretend its a news network?Its an opinion network.Olbermann is not a newsman,he is a left wing opinion man.Id say he is like a left wing  Rush,but Rush has talent and an audiance,but you get the point.If the clause is there so MSNBC can pretend its a legit news network then thats just plain silly and not fooling anyone.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »
The point is,its a stupid clause.Is MSNBC trying to pretend its a news network?Its an opinion network.Olbermann is not a newsman,he is a left wing opinion man.Id say he is like a left wing  Rush,but Rush has talent and an audiance,but you get the point.If the clause is there so MSNBC can pretend its a legit news network then thats just plain silly and not fooling anyone.

So they should just throw out ethics because you know, they are stupid and stuff?

Good call.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »
So they should just throw out ethics because you know, they are stupid and stuff?

Good call.

Keith O signed a contract - he needs to be held to it. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
Keith O signed a contract - he needs to be held to it. 

agreed.

when you become a cop or schoolteacher, you're not allowed to work nights as a pole dancer either. 

Code of ethics. 

No matter how legal it is, you agree to it, when you wanna work in some fields.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
agreed.

when you become a cop or schoolteacher, you're not allowed to work nights as a pole dancer either. 

Code of ethics. 

No matter how legal it is, you agree to it, when you wanna work in some fields.

Its not like he is making peanuts.  He had to know this was not kosher. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »
i agree they were just looking for a reason to dump him.  making a few small donations, who gives a shit about that.  Billy has a good point there.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »
i agree they were just looking for a reason to dump him.  making a few small donations, who gives a shit about that.  Billy has a good point there.

Exactly, i think he did it on purpose.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »
You should hear the libs on Huffington Post. Talk about weeping and gnashing of teeth!!

They're wailing more about Olbermann getting axed than they are about the beating the Dems took Tuesday.

Let the lamentations continue.