Author Topic: Cookware  (Read 15110 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Cookware
« on: November 12, 2010, 07:02:58 AM »
What are some good brands?
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Cookware
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:45:48 AM »
I couldn't name good cookware brands, but I think this is one category of product where one should not go crazy.  Like the $800 or $2500 pillow, you can spend a ton on upscale brands, but at a certain point the return diminishes.   I am happy with the stuff I find at Bed Bath & Beyond.  

I had a gift certificate from Williams Sonoma I had to spend and ended up buying a $45 cookie jar.  The cookware there was similarly overpriced but I doubt it was that much better than anything I would buy at BBB.  Obviously you don't want stuff from The Dollar Store.  As always, it is a question of how much do you want to spend...?

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »
calphalon (especially they medium to higher priced line) is nice.  They have a new nonstick searing pan that looks promising.  I like le crueset also.  other than that it really depends on what you are looking for.  I don't generally buy sets.  all the stuff I have is restaurant grade

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Migs ^ cookware snob

It depends on what kind of cooking you do and the cooking surface (electric/gas).  Do you do a lot of searing, saute'ing, browning, make a lot of reductions...?  Lots of things to consider...  I have some Circulon and some Analon - both functional but nothing special.  Some of the Analon pieces were huge disappointments.

This forum will have your head swimming  :D http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/131858-high-end-cookware-what-you-get-for-the-money/
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
All you need is a George Foreman and pot to boil water.  ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
um no lol

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:40 AM »
calphalon (especially they medium to higher priced line) is nice.  They have a new nonstick searing pan that looks promising.  I like le crueset also.  other than that it really depends on what you are looking for.  I don't generally buy sets.  all the stuff I have is restaurant grade

I have one le creuset pan (French Oven) I like.  I am kind of looking at that stuff but am looking for a good value.  I would like a grill pan, skillet, and maybe few diff size sauce pans.  Since I already have the French Oven, a set would usually give me another one and I don't need that.  Although I found a large set at a great value on amazon but it has stuff I don't need (casserole dishes) and no grill pan.

Is all the calphalon stuff you have able to go in the oven and dishwasher (dishwasher not a requirement)?  

Do you use a non-stick surface or stainless steel/cast iron enamel etc?  Which do you prefer? 

Is non-stick still up in the air about safety concerns?

Thanks for that link Princess...very informative!

R

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 10:44:15 AM »

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
Lagostina.

So is that mainly stainless steel?

How hard is that to clean?  I saw a Cuisinart set at Sam's club today (no grill pan though) for like $150 for the whole set!  It said dishwasher safe and comes out of the dishwasher looking like new...that would be pretty sweet if it's true.

I want something that will last...from the prices of that Lagostina...it better! :o
R

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:58 PM »
All you need is a George Foreman and pot to boil water.  ;D

A phone to dial takeout ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:35:37 PM »

Is all the calphalon stuff you have able to go in the oven and dishwasher (dishwasher not a requirement)?  

Do you use a non-stick surface or stainless steel/cast iron enamel etc?  Which do you prefer? 

Is non-stick still up in the air about safety concerns?

not all is diswahser safe, depends.  most of the newer stuff is though.  I use both non-stick and ss/ci.  Depends on what i am doing.  quick sautees nonstick, searing high temps, ss/ci.  the calphalon is both nonstick and oven safe.  no real safety concern with nonstick as long as you heat it with something (oil, fat) in it.  Mostly only harmful to little birds.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
i made a bunch of my own stuff recently.....couldnt find what i was looking for at my specialty cookware store...so i just made it myself...

bench

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »
i made a bunch of my own stuff recently.....couldnt find what i was looking for at my specialty cookware store...so i just made it myself...

bench

Pics
:

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 03:13:59 PM »
:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
So is that mainly stainless steel?

How hard is that to clean?  I saw a Cuisinart set at Sam's club today (no grill pan though) for like $150 for the whole set!  It said dishwasher safe and comes out of the dishwasher looking like new...that would be pretty sweet if it's true.

I want something that will last...from the prices of that Lagostina...it better! :o
Stainless outer, teflon inner. Cuisine Art is amazing too!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
I have one le creuset pan (French Oven) I like.  I am kind of looking at that stuff but am looking for a good value.

Saw them at TJ's today.  I think it was $149 (Chili Red).  They also had another brand, I don't recall (Cuisinart maybe) which was $49 or $69 and also Rachel Ray's in cobalt blue but I didn't check the price.
:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »
Saw them at TJ's today.  I think it was $149 (Chili Red).  They also had another brand, I don't recall (Cuisinart maybe) which was $49 or $69 and also Rachel Ray's in cobalt blue but I didn't check the price.

THanks, I will check TJs.  Great price cuts!
R

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
Try Costco Wholesale too!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »
i love Costco.  Just got back from there

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

Saw a bunch of them in different sizes today - in black.  I had a bunch of stuff in my hands so I couldn't pick them up to check prices, but I did see a smaller one that was $49 or $69.   You already have one tho
:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 05:01:17 AM »
i love Costco.  Just got back from there
Costco is well worth it especially when bulk buying. I could spend hours in that store.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
Saw a bunch of them in different sizes today - in black.  I had a bunch of stuff in my hands so I couldn't pick them up to check prices, but I did see a smaller one that was $49 or $69.   You already have one tho

Mine is big.  I need smaller ones.  I will check my TJs and if they don't have any you will go on a shopping trip there and buy me some stuff and send it to me.  You can and you will.

:D

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »
when i get home..

bench

DId bench leave the country again  ???
R