Author Topic: Michael Cole Heel Character  (Read 2962 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Michael Cole Heel Character
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Caught a bit of Raw this past week and noticed the announcer, Michael Cole, was working some kind of heel character. To me, it just didn't work for a few reasons. First, he has zero sense of humor, as opposed to a Bobby the Brain, so Cole ends up coming across as a bitter little man and not the least bit entertaining.  Second, since he never gets in the ring, as opposed to the aforementioned Brain, and is an unathletic twerp, you don't see him as being qualified to put down anyone. Third, when you hear him dissing a wrestler you wonder why the wrestler doesn't come to ringside and beat the crap out of him.

I can see what the WWE was thinking. They want to give Cole an edge, but, IMO, it falls flat, as in "Let's see what else is on tv."

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Michael Cole Heel Character
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »
Caught a bit of Raw this past week and noticed the announcer, Michael Cole, was working some kind of heel character. To me, it just didn't work for a few reasons. First, he has zero sense of humor, as opposed to a Bobby the Brain, so Cole ends up coming across as a bitter little man and not the least bit entertaining.  Second, since he never gets in the ring, as opposed to the aforementioned Brain, and is an unathletic twerp, you see him as being qualified to put down anyone. Third, when you hear him dissing a wrestler you wonder why the wrestler doesn't come to ringside and beat the crap out of him.

I can see what the WWE was thinking. They want to give Cole an edge, but, IMO, it falls flat, as in "Let's see what else is on tv."
Yes, apparently Vince likes Cole being a heel so to speak and he has gotten some major heat with his, "And I quote!", remarks.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
To me, it just didn't work for a few reasons. First, he has zero sense of humor, as opposed to a Bobby the Brain, so Cole ends up coming across as a bitter little man and not the least bit entertaining.

Last night was the first RAW I've watched (for more than 10 min.) in over a year, and I thought the exact same thing.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 04:43:46 AM »
I can't stand Michael Cole or the Nexus (excluding Wade Barrett). I just find them annoying.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
I think he's hilarious, although I kept wishing he'd shut up during the Danielson-Swagger match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I think he's hilarious, although I kept wishing he'd shut up during the Danielson-Swagger match.
I find Cole just annoying. Not in a "heat" way as per the business. I just wanna slap the little bastard up when he opens his trap. How nice was it when Jim Ross called the one match in the three hour old school raw special?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:22 AM »
I find Cole just annoying. Not in a "heat" way as per the business. I just wanna slap the little bastard up when he opens his trap. How nice was it when Jim Ross called the one match in the three hour old school raw special?
It was great to hear him again. He actually put over Danielson and Swagger, and he brings out the best in Lawler. I think they realized that everyone hates Cole, be it heat or legit, so they might as well capitalize on it. When he reads those e-mails, he gets more reaction than most heels on the show. Stryker is by far the best announcer they have right now, though. And I like Brain as much as anyone, he was amazing but he put himself over much moreso than he did the match or the talent. That's why I think Jesse was the better of the two. Ventura put over not just the heels, but the faces too.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 09:42:22 AM »

This is the point. It's just another distraction from actual in-ring wrestling. No one tunes into a football or baseball game to hear the announcer. I don't see why it's different for wrestling. What a great announcer, like JR , can do is make the match more exciting.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
This is the point. It's just another distraction from actual in-ring wrestling. No one tunes into a football or baseball game to hear the announcer. I don't see why it's different for wrestling. What a great announcer, like JR , can do is make the match more exciting.
Well I hope they resign JR.

joseywaleshhh

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
I like the Cole heel turn. It seems like every good team had a heel. It came on a little suddenly, I was at my fantasy football draft 12 weeks ago talking to some friends about Cole acting "a little strange". Three months later it's an established character.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »
I'll give him some time.
This is all new territory for him.
Give him a chance to experiment, learn, and improve.

If after a few months it's still not over with the audience, then it's time to shitcan the idea and move on.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
I like the Cole heel turn. It seems like every good team had a heel. It came on a little suddenly, I was at my fantasy football draft 12 weeks ago talking to some friends about Cole acting "a little strange". Three months later it's an established character.

I caught episode of Raw when Cole was goofing on R-Truth's new rap song. I have to admit Cole cracked me up. In this particular instance, the insults were well-deserved. The song is horrible. Truth is a terrible rapper.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 04:56:56 AM »
I'll give him some time.
This is all new territory for him.
Give him a chance to experiment, learn, and improve.

If after a few months it's still not over with the audience, then it's time to shitcan the idea and move on.

Likewise but again IMO, he is just more annoying than anything else.