Author Topic: McCain attacks Rand Paul on Defense Spending.  (Read 3251 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
McCain attacks Rand Paul on Defense Spending.
« on: November 16, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
John McCain Attacks Rand Paul's 'Isolationism' In Willingness To Cut Defense Spending
The Huffington Post   |  Nick Wing First Posted: 11-16-10 08:50 AM   |   Updated: 11-16-10 09:13 AM

________________________ __________________

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, expressed concern Monday that some new Republican legislators would be defined by their "protectionism and isolationism," two views that the Vietnam war veteran feared would result in a butting of heads within the party on Afghanistan and defense spending.

"I think there are going to be some tensions within our party," McCain said during a conference put on by Foreign Policy Initiative, a DC-based think tank. "I worry a lot about the rise of protectionism and isolationism in the Republican Party."

A prime example, McCain continued, was Rand Paul, Kentucky's next U.S. Senator.

"I admire his victory, but ... already he has talked about withdrawals [and] cuts in defense," McCain said.

Indeed, Paul appears to have taken after the more libertarian side of foreign policy issues, much like his father, Texas Rep. Rand Paul (R).

During an interview over the summer, Paul admitted that he was "not thinking about Afghanistan" and that "foreign policy is really a complete non-issue." He then went on to describe outright skepticism about the potential for the war in Afghanistan to produce successful results.

In 2008, Paul spoke even more resolutely, saying that Republicans would have to "look at military spending as well [as domestic]" in order to fulfill their promises to balance budgets.

Story continues below
AdvertisementBut, Paul isn't alone in his inclination to address defense spending in the context of his fiscal concern. As ThinkProgress documents, there are at least five other GOP Senators who have announced plans to examine these types of spending cuts. Potential 2012 Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee also added his name Monday to a growing list of Republicans who say that that defense spending should be on the table.

According to McCain, Republicans who have hinted that they would be willing to prove their commitment to fiscal conservatism by considering blanket cuts, including in defense spending, are wrong primarily because the budget shortfalls could be mitigated simply by cutting earmarks and reducing Pentagon waste.

"People say this is only 2 to 3 percent of the budget," so it should not be touched, McCain said of the ongoing debate over banning earmarks. "Leave it alone? Give me a break!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/16/john-mccain-rand-paul-defense-spending_n_783870.html#comments

________________________ ________________________ ____________

A lot of the jerks over at HP are attacking Rand Paul.  go figure.  some agree, but these fools are going after Rand. 

Do these far left maniacs have any clue how uttery detested they are by the rest of 80% of the population? 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Re: McCain attacks Rand Paul on Defense Spending.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
McCain=old fool. Who gives a shit what this senile douche thinks?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:47:16 AM »
I don't understand the Huffington Post in this instance.

Seems like IN THIS CASE, it is all about the Person.

And not the political agenda.

Because Huffington Post are not typically AGAINST budget cuts in the military.

But here it seems like it is more important to oppose Rand Paul.

Than to stay true to their political agenda.

This is what Rush Limbaugh does when it comes to Obama. Tries to find a negative in everything Obama does.

EVEN if he would principally agree with Obama.

EXACTLY the same is Huffington Post doing here.

They aren't REALLY opposed to cutting down on military spending.

But they do everything they can to hail McCain ("Vietnam Veteran") in the article and bash Rand Paul.

No credibility what. So. Ever.

Nicely spotted 386.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »
This is why I loathe those people over there. 

When George Bush was pulling his crap - I was very vocal to the point I got tossed off FR.  I have a new account over there, and even now you have people defending Bush.  They make it all about the person, and not the policies. 

This is the thing about Obama with me - its his damn policies and delusions I can't stand, not him as a person.   As a person, he probably is a decent guy and seems like a good father. 

Rand Paul is being honest and I appreciate that.  We simply cannot afford all these obligations we have undertaken and its about time we have to rip up the credit cards and start spending not much more than we take in. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
This is why I loathe those people over there.  

When George Bush was pulling his crap - I was very vocal to the point I got tossed off FR.  I have a new account over there, and even now you have people defending Bush.  They make it all about the person, and not the policies.  

This is the thing about Obama with me - its his damn policies and delusions I can't stand, not him as a person.   As a person, he probably is a decent guy and seems like a good father.  

Rand Paul is being honest and I appreciate that.  We simply cannot afford all these obligations we have undertaken and its about time we have to rip up the credit cards and start spending not much more than we take in.  

You know, Huffington Post may disagree with Rand Paul on 98 out of 100 issues.

Or whatever.

But on those issues they AGREE with him - they should show that.

Or lose ALL credibility.

The same goes for all politicians btw.

I can respect someone like Olympia Snowe or John McCain in that regard.

But never someone like Ben Nelson - the Democrat that first said no to Health care, then said yes after getting bought off.

My point is - you have to follow your political ideas.

Not just be about political career and what not.
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:14 AM »
WTF is up with mccain... did anyone see the Daily Show last night?  They showed him, over the last 2 years, being the only major voice AGAINST ending don't ask, dont tell.

70% of enlisted people are for ending it.  The brass/joint chiefs are for ending it.

it's mccain and a few generals bitching about it.

Now, he wants to cry because paul wants to be responsible and stop the damn spending that isn't needed, with $ we don't have.  I mean seriously, we have 50k men in GERMANY?  Dear god, are we worried about hitler's ghost coming back?  You're telling me 5k men isn't enough to "protect ourselves against Germany"?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
WTF is up with mccain... did anyone see the Daily Show last night?  They showed him, over the last 2 years, being the only major voice AGAINST ending don't ask, dont tell.

70% of enlisted people are for ending it.  The brass/joint chiefs are for ending it.

it's mccain and a few generals bitching about it.

Now, he wants to cry because paul wants to be responsible and stop the damn spending that isn't needed, with $ we don't have.  I mean seriously, we have 50k men in GERMANY?  Dear god, are we worried about hitler's ghost coming back?  You're telling me 5k men isn't enough to "protect ourselves against Germany"?

He's just being a good guy and protecting the Military Industrial Complex's interests...that's what you do when you are a politician.

I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:21 AM »
I hate the State.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »

Do these far left maniacs have any clue how uttery detested they are by the rest of 80% of the population? 

How they are viewed by the public is only of concern to them when it comes time to vote.  As we've seen with history time and time again, the American people have short memories. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
What i meant was that here is Rand Paul giving voice to an issue they always scream about and what do they do?

Attack him! 

Does that make any sense at all? 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »
What i meant was that here is Rand Paul giving voice to an issue they always scream about and what do they do?

Attack him! 

Happens all the time, and even closer than on Capitol Hill.
Just take a look around GetBig.  :-\
w

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »

Attack him! 

What exactly would you expect the head of the senate arms committee to say when someone talks about cutting his budget? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 12:56:53 PM »
What exactly would you expect the head of the senate arms committee to say when someone talks about cutting his budget? 

I was referring to he posters at HP. 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
I was referring to he posters at HP. 

Ahh, gotcha.  I could care less about what comments are made on political sites.  Most are just schills.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
McCain=old fool. Who gives a shit what this senile douche thinks?

he lost his right testicle for you beotches,,during pow camp he deserrves to be listened to thats why his voice is that due to one testicle I know another secret also I wont say to you clown about him,,,

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
he lost his right testicle for you beotches,,during pow camp he deserrves to be listened to thats why his voice is that due to one testicle I know another secret also I wont say to you clown about him,,,
You tell 'em, Dennis/gh15!!!
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 08:14:08 PM »
!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 08:32:29 PM »
 ::)

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
Most of the republicans are not conservative anymore they have gone in the direction of the neo-cons. Mccain did it too when he ran as pres in order to get the party behind them. I hate the democrats and the neo-cons. The only people i feel speech for the people now are REAL conservatives like Ron/Rand Paul and similar folks.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 04:39:55 AM »
Most of the republicans are not conservative anymore they have gone in the direction of the neo-cons. Mccain did it too when he ran as pres in order to get the party behind them. I hate the democrats and the neo-cons. The only people i feel speech for the people now are REAL conservatives like Ron/Rand Paul and similar folks.

agreed.  but i think they'll fold and end up just like everyone else.  they'll raise the debt ceiling.  they'll allow the crazy borrowing to continue.  they'll just keep things the same.  and they're not all in line yet - which is why repubs refuse to meet with obama to share their ideas.

there are really 2 repub parties right now, and the RINOs are terrified to admit it.