Author Topic: Soros: China Has Better Functioning Government Than U.S.  (Read 3243 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Soros: China Has Better Functioning Government Than U.S.
« on: November 18, 2010, 06:57:45 AM »
Soros: China has better functioning government than U.S.

Posted By Joshua Keating Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 11:35 AM Share

If nothing else, Glenn Beck probably has his top story set for tonight's show:

"There is a really remarkable, rapid shift of power and influence from the United States to China," Mr. Soros said, likening the U.S.'s decline to that of the U.K. after the Second World War.

Because global economic power is shifting, Mr. Soros said China needs to change its focus. "China has risen very rapidly by looking out for its own interests," he said. "They have now got to accept responsibility for world order and the interests of other people as well."

Mr. Soros even went so far as to say that at times China wields more power than the U.S. because of the political gridlock in Washington. "Today China has not only a more vigorous economy, but actually a better functioning government than the United States," he said, a hard statement for him to make because he spent much of his life donating to anti-communist groups in Eastern Europe.

Soros's statement is similar to the frequent "China-for-a-day" musings of columnist Tom Friedman.

On a related subject,  Kay King of the Council on Foreign Relations has a new report out on the U.S. congress's impact on national security. King's critiques of congressional procedure, in particular the filibuster, won't be news to anyone who's read recent critiques of congressional dysfunction, but she makes a compelling case that because of limited public interest, congress is effectively abandoning its oversight role on national security affairs. Issues like energy, trade, and immigration are typically treated as purely domestic issues by congress, while membership on foreign affairs committees appeal only to members positioning themselves for higher office or those dependent on ethnic or business special interests.

King writes:

When Congress fails to perform, national security suffers thanks to ill-considered policies, delayed or inadequate resources, and insufficient personnel. Without congressional guidance, allies and adversaries alike devalue U.S. policies because they lack the support of the American people that is provided through their representatives in Congress.

King provides a number of ideas for reform which will hopefully be a bit more palatable to U.S. sensibilities than taking cues on good governance from Beijing.  

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2010/11/16/soros_china_has_better_functioning_government_than_us
C

theonlyone

Re: Soros: China Has Better Functioning Government Than U.S.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
 true dat

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:55 PM »
true dat

You won't hear any americans agreeing with you or Soros on this matter....even though it is  a fact
C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
Yeah same government that executes people for theft.

It functions well because it isn't a representative democracy, it's more akin to a police state.  How about you go over the and stage a protest.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »
Yeah same government that executes people for theft.

It functions well because it isn't a representative democracy, it's more akin to a police state.  How about you go over the and stage a protest.

I'm on my way. I intend to give that Hu Jintao a piece of my mind and then I will execute the perfect Karate Chop tot he side of his head that I taught myself from watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.... I really hope it works cuz I don't wanna be in a Chinese jail...or any jail for that matter... : :)
C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I'm on my way. I intend to give that Hu Jintao a piece of my mind and then I will execute the perfect Karate Chop tot he side of his head that I taught myself from watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.... I really hope it works cuz I don't wanna be in a Chinese jail...or any jail for that matter... : :)
Heheheheh.   :)

Don't forget to snag that green sword.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:12:54 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=356295.0

LOL Chinese woman sent to labor camp for retweeting

yup a model of efficiency and greatness  ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:35:17 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=356295.0

LOL Chinese woman sent to labor camp for retweeting

yup a model of efficiency and greatness  ;D

How long did it take from her retweet to her sentencing?

vs.

How long at tax payer expense has it taken 911 terror suspects to be tried, let alone sentenced?

You gotta admit, ...they're pretty efficient.  :-\

I'm going out on a limb here in a bold assumption cause I don't know how long sentencing took from retweet
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:44 PM »
I'm going to puke watching you clowns.  Look at the America haters unite ::)

Communist governments have it a lot easier to run things: Do whatever you want and shoot or jail anyone who bitches about it.  We have a much bigger challenge.

It also doesn't shock me to see Soros say this.  Actually there are a lot of powerful men in America that feel the same way beyond him, they just don't usually say it as directly, but they say it in their actions.  true traitors if you ask me, but what do I know...

So you guys just go on promoting the way out that has the worst implications for free minds.

Samson, you wouldn't last two fucking days as a chinese citizen.  Your ass would be doing hard labor for 20 years or more.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 11:26:39 PM »
Hugo, acknowledging a fact is not supporting it. I thought you were smarter than that?  :-\
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 11:34:09 PM »
Hugo, acknowledging a fact is not supporting it. I thought you were smarter than that?  :-\
ok, fine then, will you and your alter ego samson admit that our system is harder to fuction than a communist system that mearly jails anything spoken against the government plan?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »
ok, fine then, will you and your alter ego samson admit that our system is harder to fuction than a communist system that mearly jails anything spoken against the government plan?

I can only speak for myself. Samson will have to speak for himself.

I don't think your system is harder to function. I think the supposed safeguards that are supposed to be built into the system are a good thing, and are supposed to make it impossible to railroad or ramrod things into existence, ...but then I think about the Patriot Act, or the threats of declaration of martial law in order to get a bail out for Wall Street bankers, and I say to myself... what good are these supposed safeguards?  :-\
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »
I can only speak for myself. Samson will have to speak for himself.

I don't think your system is harder to function. I think the supposed safeguards that are supposed to be built into the system are a good thing, and are supposed to make it impossible to railroad or ramrod things into existence, ...but then I think about the Patriot Act, or the threats of declaration of martial law in order to get a bail out for Wall Street bankers, and I say to myself... what good are these supposed safeguards?  :-\
::) if it wasn't harder to do, then they would't be naming it "patriot act" and pushing it through asap right after our biggest terror event and before most had a chance to read it.  In a communist government, they don't have to bother with any of that.  They just tell the people the way it is and jail dissenters.  and you're going to tell me it's not a harder system?  haha..  It's harder because freedom allows for so many different opinions and ideas in government.  It's harder because many different ideas and interests seek to effect the government.  It's harder because we elect a new president every 4 years that can change the direction in a big way...  please don't tell me it's not harder for our system than a communist system.

lol, especially when you have a vast multitude of American corporations backing the communist chinese.  Our "freedom and liberty" allows them to do so which is another hardship in our system over theirs.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »
::) if it wasn't harder to do, then they would't be naming it "patriot act" and pushing it through asap right after our biggest terror event and before most had a chance to read it.  In a communist government, they don't have to bother with any of that.  They just tell the people the way it is and jail dissenters.  and you're going to tell me it's not a harder system?  haha..  It's harder because freedom allows for so many different opinions and ideas in government.  It's harder because many different ideas and interests seek to effect the government.  It's harder because we elect a new president every 4 years that can change the direction in a big way...  please don't tell me it's not harder for our system than a communist system.

lol, especially when you have a vast multitude of American corporations backing the communist chinese.  Our "freedom and liberty" allows them to do so which is another hardship in our system over theirs.

Before one can determine which system is harder, you first have to determine the objective.

Harder to do what? Get justice? Jail dissidents? ride roughshod over people's rights? stall indefinitely?
...harder to what? ???
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 01:16:41 AM »
Before one can determine which system is harder, you first have to determine the objective.

Harder to do what? Get justice? Jail dissidents? ride roughshod over people's rights? stall indefinitely?
...harder to what? ???
the whole fucking system jag!...  everything is easier for the communist chinese government.  Is that all you're going to say about my post?  You disagree with what I said about the patriot act? you disagree with any of it?  I get you avoid by asking me to narrow it to one point, but as I said and believe, there's not much if anything the communist chinese gov has hard compared to our system.  In fact they have it easy, especially with American corporate support backing them.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »
the whole fucking system jag!...

Well THAT certainly narrows it down a bit... NOT!  ::)

everything is easier for the communist chinese government.  Is that all you're going to say about my post?  You disagree with what I said about the patriot act? you disagree with any of it?  I get you avoid by asking me to narrow it to one point, but as I said and believe, there's not much if anything the communist chinese gov has hard compared to our system.  In fact they have it easy, especially with American corporate support backing them.

Have you ever tried doing business in China? In some ways, it's more difficult than in the west,
...but please, don't let me deter you from your anti-China rant. carry on.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 03:20:46 AM »
Well THAT certainly narrows it down a bit... NOT!

Have you ever tried doing business in China? In some ways, it's more difficult than in the west,
...but please, don't let me deter you from your anti-China rant. carry on.
why should I narrow the broader truth down?  It's your copout, not mine.

was there an area of interest you wanted to talk about?

The only business I'm about to try and do is sue someone from China which I am quickly learning is almost fucking impossible.  That's another shitty fact about China, those fuckers rip off everyone's product rights and have little care or worry about copyright or patents....

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 03:28:05 AM »
why should I narrow the broader truth down?  It's your copout, not mine.

was there an area of interest you wanted to talk about?

There could've been, ...but when I start seeing you use the profanity, I don't like where the conversation is headed, so I'll simply opt-out from discussing this with you for awhile.

The only business I'm about to try and do is sue someone from China which I am quickly learning is almost fucking impossible.

I thought everything about China was easier?  ::)
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
There could've been, ...but when I start seeing you use the profanity, I don't like where the conversation is headed, so I'll simply opt-out from discussing this with you for awhile.

I thought everything about China was easier?  ::)
what profanity?  Where?  What are you talking about?

And on the last point you take wrong entirely.  We're dealing with a citizen or company from another country trying to sue someone in China, the Chinese have made that hard to do, what does that have to do with their form of government having it easier than our form of government?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 05:33:51 AM »
'better functioning'?

I mean, if you take all the morals out of it, saddam hussein's iraq was a HIGHLY functional govt - everyone was scared shitless to blink.  North Korea has the lowest terrorist attack rate in the world - cause they're living in a police state.

China locks up people for tweets, so I'm guessing they have a pretty damn good control of their people.  If that is the definition of 'better functinoing', then soros is right.  If better funcitnoing is defined as "adheres to the morals of the western world", then it's an epic fail.

I think we're having an argument about something called "better functioning" which isn't defined all that clearly.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 06:53:43 AM »
This board would be much better from a functional aspect if jag was roasted on an open spit and then fed to squirrels. Nobody would be forced to endure her idiocy and SAMSON would mysteriously disappear.

In China, if I were a government official, I could probably make that happen with very little red tape or annoying things like laws, privacy, due process and human decency getting in the way.

I propose we convince Ron to reinstate getbig in China and place this board on the Peoples Republic web server. Sure there would be more censorship, but the board would be a model of efficiency and Jag would be fertilizer.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 07:05:52 AM »
'better functioning'?

I mean, if you take all the morals out of it, saddam hussein's iraq was a HIGHLY functional govt - everyone was scared shitless to blink.  North Korea has the lowest terrorist attack rate in the world - cause they're living in a police state.

China locks up people for tweets, so I'm guessing they have a pretty damn good control of their people.  If that is the definition of 'better functinoing', then soros is right.  If better funcitnoing is defined as "adheres to the morals of the western world", then it's an epic fail.

I think we're having an argument about something called "better functioning" which isn't defined all that clearly.
LOLOLOL, great fucking point 240... Even Nazi Germany is a great example of highly "functional" government....  But as we know, that's not the end of the story haha!!!!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »
'better functioning'?

I mean, if you take all the morals out of it, saddam hussein's iraq was a HIGHLY functional govt - everyone was scared shitless to blink.  North Korea has the lowest terrorist attack rate in the world - cause they're living in a police state.

China locks up people for tweets, so I'm guessing they have a pretty damn good control of their people.  If that is the definition of 'better functinoing', then soros is right.  If better funcitnoing is defined as "adheres to the morals of the western world", then it's an epic fail.

240, whaddya mean it's not defined clearly? Didn't you hear him? he's talking about the whole f-ing system!
Surely that should narrow things down somewhat? no?  lol  ;D Sorry, I needed a good laugh right about now
w