Author Topic: And so it happens! Scientists capture antimatter atoms at CERN  (Read 8320 times)

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
And so it happens! Scientists capture antimatter atoms at CERN
« on: November 18, 2010, 04:28:49 PM »
Maybe man is destined to be master of the universe after all.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/18/switzerland.cern.antimatter/index.html?hpt=C1

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: And so it happens! Scientists capture antimatter atoms at CERN
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 04:34:50 PM »
awesome article bro you are the best poster on getbig, without you and my good friend mr. nobody to talk about hoes with, id have no reason coming here other than the urge to share wisdom with my family here
A

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
brutal BS

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »

we must be careful what we wish for because we will probably get it

it maybe the only way to remedy the scatterbrain plague since inception of various false world views

suckmymuscle

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 05:05:41 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/11/18/switzerland.cern.antimatter/index.html?hpt=C1

We have been getting antimatter for 50 years now. That's what you get when you collide protons. This is not new.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
  We have been getting antimatter for 50 years now. That's what you get when you collide protons. This is not new.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

"(CNN) -- Scientists have captured antimatter atoms for the first time, a breakthrough that could eventually help us to understand the nature and origins of the universe."

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

They've never caught and held onto an antihydrogen, hence why this is kind of a big deal.

Secondly, I figured someone of your intellect would be involved in this. I mean, you are smarter than all these peasants, after all. This would probably be child's play to one of three people in the world to solve your riddle.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »

Ray Kurzweil is the greatest douchebag ever. His singularity is the most idiotic idea anyone came up with. It is based on the premise that we will some day have A.I capable of passing the Turing test. There is no evidence whatsoever that this is possible. Kurzweil claims we already have limited A.I. This is a lie. What we have are computers programmed to execute programs, which is exactly like the computers from the 1940s. Just because a computer can read some Human emotions because you programmed it to observe patterns of muscular contrations in the face of people which corresponds to certains emotions, it does not mean that such computer can understand the implications of the emotions in the person it is observing, nor can it empathize with the person. True A.I would be a computer capable of self-awareness and self-programming. This does not exist and we are not even close to having it. A computer that is aware of some emotions on a purely logical level just because a Human programmed it to logicallly recognize emotions is not "limited" A.I: it is zero A.I that executes programs like every computer. There has been no progress in this area since Von Neumann published his famous "The Computer And The Brain" back in 1954.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
"(CNN) -- Scientists have captured antimatter atoms for the first time, a breakthrough that could eventually help us to understand the nature and origins of the universe."

Sorry, I misread that. I thought it was refering to the creation of antimatter.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »
 Ray Kurzweil is the greatest douchebag ever. His singularity is the most idiotic idea anyone came up with. It is based on the premise that we will some day have A.I capable of passing the Turing test. There is no evidence whatsoever that this is possible. Kurzweil claims we already have limited A.I. This is a lie. What we have are computers programmed to execute programs, which is exactly like the computers from the 1940s. Just because a computer can read some Human emotions because you programmed it to observe patterns of muscular contrations in the face of people which corresponds to certains emotions, it does not mean that such computer can understand the implications of the emotions in the person it is observing, nor can it empathize with the person. True A.I would be a computer capable of self-awareness and self-programming. This does not exist and we are not even close to having it. A computer that is aware of some emotions on a purely logical level just because a Human programmed it to logicallly recognize emotions is not "limited" A.I: it is zero A.I that executes programs like every computer. There has been no progress in this area since Von Neumann published his famous "The Computer And The Brain" back in 1954.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Prove that humans understand emotions and not only respond to stimuli.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
They've never caught and held onto an antihydrogen, hence why this is kind of a big deal.

Secondly, I figured someone of your intellect would be involved in this. I mean, you are smarter than all these peasants, after all. This would probably be child's play to one of three people in the world to solve your riddle.

He has severe assburgers, so he has trouble focusing and understanding context, etc.

Now if the antimatter had been stored in a german sheppard that was attacking him he woulda been all up in that bitch!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
Prove that humans understand emotions and not only respond to stimuli.

Humans have what philosophers call a theory of mind. They can understand that other consicious entities feel like they do, so they can understand the motivations and desires of other conscious entities. Computers are completely devoid of that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:26 PM »
He has severe assburgers, so he has trouble focusing and understanding context, etc.

Now if the antimatter had been stored in a german sheppard that was attacking him he woulda been all up in that bitch!

Lol, your attempts to be funny fail, but I give you props for effort.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
First step to the apocalypse, 2012 here we come!!
Im betting that as soon as humans discover the origin of the universe, our world ends. You heard it here first.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
brutal BS

maybe, but we get to explore it together, and be wiser at the end of the funnel.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 05:31:44 PM »
First step to the apocalypse, 2012 here we come!!
Im betting that as soon as humans discover the origin of the universe, our world ends. You heard it here first.

end of universe = birth of G.O.D.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
Eventually were going to discover something we shouldnt. Sometimes I wonder if science ever stops to think, should we do this? What could be the consequences? lol.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
  Humans have what philosophers call a theory of mind. They can understand that other consicious entities feel like they do, so they can understand the motivations and desires of other conscious entities. Computers are completely devoid of that.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Prove that (100 years into the future).

The thing is, we don't understand the brain. But people are willing to say what computers will be able to do. And that we humans are something completely not computer like.

All we humans have is concepts. With these concepts we can be creative. It's nothing more. This has been one of the big problems to the researchers, how to give the computer exhaustive conceptual database.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
L

epic_alien

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:40 PM »
end of universe = birth of G.O.D.

man created god,

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

The thing is, we don't understand the brain. But people are willing to say what computers will be able to do. And that we humans are something completely not computer like.

All we humans have is concepts. With these concepts we can be creative. It's nothing more. This has been one of the big problems to the researchers, how to give the computer exhaustive conceptual database.

human knowledge is limited to experience, but we have the ability to be logical, rationale, we have the ability to figure things out that were not present in our experience but hinted at by our experience. we are not simply a collection of sensory memories collaborating to build an 'exaustive database' of knowledge that guides allo of our thoughts and behaviors, as you proclaim. we are the masters or our own destiny, we have ultimate free will, the capability to act contrary to what experience and self preservation would have us do. with no transcendental design in humans, we would be purely evolutionary in of that our actions would be bound completely to self preservation and continuation of our species. which we arent

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 06:21:07 PM »

Dispite all the bullshit that was said in this seems pretty cool. I mean the big picture is hard to understand. I mean it's like the first weightlifter that got a hold of dbol in the 50's. Who knows what's next.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
Bibble and I get it...BTW, I'm the black guy.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »

Dude, where have I claimed that 100 years into the future computers won't be able to mimic Human intelligence? I said that up to now we are at the same level we were in the 1950s and there is no evidence that this will inevitably happen in the future. It might never happen. That is what I'm saying.

SUCKMYMUSCLE