Author Topic: Greg Oden---Kevin Durant  (Read 3568 times)

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Greg Oden---Kevin Durant
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »
SAm Bowie---Michael Jordan?

identical

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Greg Oden---Kevin Durant
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Portland is snakebit.....and you could even make a case for going back to Bill Walton.  However, they did squeeze one title out of him before he started breaking the same bone in his foot every other month.... :-\

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:29:34 AM »

identical

Funny thing is it gets even worse, Portland in 1984 offered Clyde Drexler plus the number 2 draft pick that year for The Rockets Ralph Sampson, the rockets turned it down.If they would have accepted they could have had Drexler, Hakeem and drafted Jordan with the number 2 pick.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:31:27 AM »
Funny thing is it gets even worse, Portland in 1984 offered Clyde Drexler plus the number 2 draft pick that year for The Rockets Ralph Sampson, the rockets turned it down.If they would have accepted they could have had Drexler, Hakeem and drafted Jordan with the number 2 pick.

With Drexler, they wouldn't have drafted Jordan most likely.  same reason they didn't when they had the chance.  But if they did, wow what a lineup.  MJ could have played the point no problem.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:34:14 AM »
With Drexler, they wouldn't have drafted Jordan most likely.  same reason they didn't when they had the chance.  But if they did, wow what a lineup.  MJ could have played the point no problem.

What all the drafts have told us is that you NEVER draft by which position you need, always draft the best talent, regardless of which holes you have.If I remember correctly the Houston GM at the time has said recently he woud have taken Jordan not Bowie if they had got the 2nd pick.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »
What all the drafts have told us is that you NEVER draft by which position you need, always draft the best talent, regardless of which holes you have.

I agree, but Portland certainly didn't....thats why they didn't draft Jordan.... :-\

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:37:19 AM »
I agree, but Portland certainly didn't....thats why they didn't draft Jordan.... :-\

True, Dumars taking Darko instead of Wade or Carmello is also another awful decision.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:35 AM »
True, Dumars taking Darko instead of Wade or Carmello is also another awful decision.

Plain awful.....  I'm always surprised at how badly some people draft in the NBA.  I think it's much easier to evaluate basketball talent, than lets say NFL talent.  Anybody who watched Darko, Carmello and Wade could easily tell you who was the weakest of the 3.  And how a guy as smart as Dumars does that is beyond me.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:30 AM »
Plain awful.....  I'm always surprised at how badly some people draft in the NBA.  I think it's much easier to evaluate basketball talent, than lets say NFL talent.  Anybody who watched Darko, Carmello and Wade could easily tell you who was the weakest of the 3.  And how a guy as smart as Dumars does that is beyond me.

I have no idea why anyone was so high on Darko, apparently he was tearing it up in the practice drills.What really gets me is this game, between the 84 Olympic Squad featuring Jordan vs the NBA All stars as a warmup before the Olympics.How could any sane person watch this game and not see that Jordan was blatantly on different tier in regards to athleticism and skill?The game was played BEFORE the NBA draft and they still chose Bowie!Hubie Brown even says he thinks he will be an all time great.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »
I have no idea why anyone was so high on Darko, apparently he was tearing it up in the practice drills.What really gets me is this game, between the 84 Olympic Squad featuring Jordan vs the NBA All stars as a warmup before the Olympics.How could any sane person watch this game and not see that Jordan was blatantly on different tier in regards to athleticism and skill?The game was played BEFORE the NBA draft and they still chose Bowie!Hubie Brown even says he thinks he will be an all time great.

As a lifelong Carolina fan, I was lucky enough to see Jordan's career here.  He was amazing, especially as a soph and junior.....just athletic beyond belief and you could see his improvement and work ethic on display all the time.....the guys motor never slowed down.  He also has/had a VERY high basketball IQ....ON THE COURT....but even he has proven to be pathetic at evaluating talent and drafting.  I can name one guy in the last 20 yrs that I was WAY off on an that that was Tim Duncan...just didn't think he was athletic enough to dominate the way he has...I saw him as a double-double guy and not much more.......but damn, compare that with just flat our mising on Darko and Kwame Brown and I look a little smarter...

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 06:07:33 AM »
Isiah and Magic were killing it with the ball movement
L

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:19 AM »
Isiah and Magic were killing it with the ball movement

Lost art in the NBA today..... too much one on one garbage.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 06:12:09 AM »
As a lifelong Carolina fan, I was lucky enough to see Jordan's career here.  He was amazing, especially as a soph and junior.....just athletic beyond belief and you could see his improvement and work ethic on display all the time.....the guys motor never slowed down.  He also has/had a VERY high basketball IQ....ON THE COURT....but even he has proven to be pathetic at evaluating talent and drafting.  I can name one guy in the last 20 yrs that I was WAY off on an that that was Tim Duncan...just didn't think he was athletic enough to dominate the way he has...I saw him as a double-double guy and not much more.......but damn, compare that with just flat our mising on Darko and Kwame Brown and I look a little smarter...

Thats an enviable position to have been in, I saw him play Live in 91 against the sixers, he dropped 46 on them, I think 91 was his best season, he seemed to be one step ahead of everyone bbiq wise at all times, the finals against Magic were unreal.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »
Thats an enviable position to have been in, I saw him play Live in 91 against the sixers, he dropped 46 on them, I think 91 was his best season, he seemed to be one step ahead of everyone bbiq wise at all times, the finals against Magic were unreal.

I think that was his peak too.  The joke in Chapel Hill was always that the only person to hold MJ under 20pts was Dean Smith....haha......but as MJ has pointed out, Dean taught him how to think on the court and not just rely on athletic ability.  Think about the difference that made over his whole career.....had he gone to a coach who just let him score 30 a game in college, I don't think he would have been close to the same player....  Man, him, Bird and Magic all played the game like a chess match....miss those days.

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
You can NEVER pass on a 7 footer with skills! Portland's GM would have been fired! You never know how draft picks will work out. If Oden was healthy he would dominate this league!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »

That was a puzzling one, especially since they were in the midst of building a potential dynasty, which would've been solidified by drafting Carmello.  But since I hate Detroit, I'm glad they blew it.  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
You can NEVER pass on a 7 footer with skills! Portland's GM would have been fired! You never know how draft picks will work out. If Oden was healthy he would dominate this league!

No he wouldn't.  He didn't even dominate in college.  He was a solid defender, VERY limited offensively and didn't move well.  You don't need a 7ft center to win titles,most of the centers on the championship teams recently have been by committe or converted PF's.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:06 AM »

identical
john wall vs evan turner time will tell.
F