Author Topic: Hey old people ! was Elgin baylor really that good?  (Read 4432 times)

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
Hey old people ! was Elgin baylor really that good?
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Some sadi he was kinda precursor to dr j n jordan?

Film looks liek a total hun taking a millon fadeaways?

opinions?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/nba-elgin-baylor/fe05478f5efe2e14ed62fe05478f5efe2e14ed62-298365289101?q=elgin%20baylor&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR4

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Hey old people ! was Elgin baylor really that good?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »
Yes, he was.

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:00:58 PM »
Yup.  The NBA was not the travelling circus it is now. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »
It wasnt as good as Moses Malone.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
yes he was very good and he was a very nice guy too.
No Worries 4 me

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:36:03 AM »
he'd put up 12 and 8 in todays game.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »
he'd put up 12 and 8 in todays game.

Really?  what makes you think that.  With todays training and everything else his natural talent would have made him pretty good.  Of course if all you want to do is lessen his accomplishments by putting something like that up then okay.  Of course you can say that about every athlete in every sport for any time period.  As time goes by so will the training techniques and records will fall.  Figure that out and you wil be good to go.
No Worries 4 me

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:44:41 AM »
Really?  what makes you think that.  With todays training and everything else his natural talent would have made him pretty good.  Of course if all you want to do is lessen his accomplishments by putting something like that up then okay.  Of course you can say that about every athlete in every sport for any time period.  As time goes by so will the training techniques and records will fall.  Figure that out and you wil be good to go.

never saw him play actually so i have no idea. just going on the fact that stats were VASTLY inflated during his period (for all players)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 09:50:39 AM »
I took him out on a game of round the world...dude was gracious in defeat though...
DAWG

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »
never saw him play actually so i have no idea. just going on the fact that stats were VASTLY inflated during his period (for all players)

The Lakers trained at our high school on numerous occassions back in the 70's when I went there.  My mom did alot of loans and Notary stuff for alot of celebrities and athletes when I was growing up.  She knew every Laker there was back then.  Elgin was very very nice to her.  I personally never got to meet most of these people cause I guess I was an embarassment.  But, I would watch them more on TV always thinking there is my moms friend.  He was very good though.  Not MJ or Lebron or Kobe or others good but I think he would hold his own.  I have been lucky to play in a basketball game and golf with Dr. J, John Havlechik, and Rick Barry (who I just talked to a few months ago again after 20+ years).
No Worries 4 me

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »
The Lakers trained at our high school on numerous occassions back in the 70's when I went there.  My mom did alot of loans and Notary stuff for alot of celebrities and athletes when I was growing up.  She knew every Laker there was back then.  Elgin was very very nice to her.  I personally never got to meet most of these people cause I guess I was an embarassment.  But, I would watch them more on TV always thinking there is my moms friend.  He was very good though.  Not MJ or Lebron or Kobe or others good but I think he would hold his own.  I have been lucky to play in a basketball game and golf with Dr. J, John Havlechik, and Rick Barry (who I just talked to a few months ago again after 20+ years).
cool stuff Keith

Rick was not bad huh? Can u believe his son won the Slam?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »
cool stuff Keith

Rick was not bad huh? Can u believe his son won the Slam?

I didn't realize Rick was as good as he was.  He wasn't someone I grew up watching like the Lakers.  I was in a celebroty event in Boca Raton, FL and in my foursome was Dr. J and then the next day we played the Fireman/Policeman in a charity game for something in Boca.  I had no idea why I played by it was cool.  I swear I was just walking around in a daze.  BUT I did get a pass under the basket from Dr. J and I made a basket.  I hadn't talked or seen any of those people in all these years.  This guy gets in contact with me and he mentions he knows Rick.  So I told the story and he gave me Ricks cell phone number and told me to call him.  So I did.  It was cool.  We talked for about 20 minutes.  He probably had no idea who I was but he did remember the event.  He has a pro quality serve in tennis.  I was sitting with Bjorn and Vitas and they both siad that.  Rick really is great in tennis.  Anyway it was cool talkign to him.
No Worries 4 me

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
He would struggle in today's game just based on his height (he was listed at 6'5").  You can't be a 6'5" forward and be a Hall of Famer in today's NBA.  The average height in the league was a lot shorter in his heyday than now.  Even Bill Russell was only like 6'9".  League-wide the average height is now over 6'7".  This doesn't mean they weren't great players in their era though.

It is surprising how enormous NBA players are.  I saw Scottie Pippen in Chicago once when I was 15 or so and he was a giant in real life.  On the court he looks like an average guy (which he was, in height).  Even guys who are "undersized" for their position like Dwyane Wade are like 6'4".

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
I didn't realize Rick was as good as he was.  He wasn't someone I grew up watching like the Lakers.  I was in a celebroty event in Boca Raton, FL and in my foursome was Dr. J and then the next day we played the Fireman/Policeman in a charity game for something in Boca.  I had no idea why I played by it was cool.  I swear I was just walking around in a daze.  BUT I did get a pass under the basket from Dr. J and I made a basket.  I hadn't talked or seen any of those people in all these years.  This guy gets in contact with me and he mentions he knows Rick.  So I told the story and he gave me Ricks cell phone number and told me to call him.  So I did.  It was cool.  We talked for about 20 minutes.  He probably had no idea who I was but he did remember the event.  He has a pro quality serve in tennis.  I was sitting with Bjorn and Vitas and they both siad that.  Rick really is great in tennis.  Anyway it was cool talkign to him.

thats awesome, id love to be able to play against some pros one day

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »
He would struggle in today's game just based on his height (he was listed at 6'5").  You can't be a 6'5" forward and be a Hall of Famer in today's NBA.  The average height in the league was a lot shorter in his heyday than now.  Even Bill Russell was only like 6'9".  League-wide the average height is now over 6'7".  This doesn't mean they weren't great players in their era though.

It is surprising how enormous NBA players are.  I saw Scottie Pippen in Chicago once when I was 15 or so and he was a giant in real life.  On the court he looks like an average guy (which he was, in height).

these guys are MUTANTS. i see players from time to time especially bruce bowen pretty frequently, and i swear it looks like they were created in a lab designed to play basketball. hes  'only' 6'7"...but his freaking arms are like 5 feet long with hands that could probably palm a beach ball. i couldnt even imagine trying to score on the guy...i wouldnt even get a single shot off no matter what. these dudes are a different species

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:56:07 AM »
these guys are MUTANTS. i see players from time to time especially bruce bowen pretty frequently, and i swear it looks like they were created in a lab designed to play basketball. hes  'only' 6'7"...but his freaking arms are like 5 feet long with hands that could probably palm a beach ball. i couldnt even imagine trying to score on the guy...i wouldnt even get a single shot off no matter what. these dudes are a different species

I've never seen Shaq in real life but I've heard he's just a colossus, like a regular human magnified to 200%.  Most seven-footers are really disproportioned in their body dimensions but Shaq is basically a 7'1" NFL lineman.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
I've never seen Shaq in real life but I've heard he's just a colossus, like a regular human magnified to 200%.  Most seven-footers are really disproportioned in their body dimensions but Shaq is basically a 7'1" NFL lineman.

I've never met Shaq either but these guys are tall.  I did meet Wilt Chamberlin a few times when I was doing construction in LA.  Worked on his house for awhile.
No Worries 4 me

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Some sadi he was kinda precursor to dr j n jordan?

Film looks liek a total hun taking a millon fadeaways?

opinions?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/nba-elgin-baylor/fe05478f5efe2e14ed62fe05478f5efe2e14ed62-298365289101?q=elgin%20baylor&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR4
lakers didn't start winning championships till elgin ballhog baylor retired.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
 ;)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »
lakers didn't start winning championships till elgin ballhog baylor retired.

Haha, this is a good point.  In fact as soon as he retired they won a record number of games.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:27 PM »
I've never met Shaq either but these guys are tall.  I did meet Wilt Chamberlin a few times when I was doing construction in LA.  Worked on his house for awhile.

LOL is that a poster of franco in the background??