Author Topic: Should the IFBB Reinstate the Masters Mr. Olympia?  (Read 8642 times)

StrengthAddicts

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Founder of StrengthAdddicts.com
Should the IFBB Reinstate the Masters Mr. Olympia?
« on: November 26, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »

I initially posted this question on RxMuscle and the thread got over 1,500 views and 150 comments. I was very pleased with the response and friendly ongoing debate between myself and IFBB Athlete's Rep. Bob Cicherillo; however, GetBig.com is a major force in the bodybulding industry and I was really hoping to get some feedback here as well. I truly believe that fans wield enormous power at the grassroots level and rarely pool it to get what they/we want.

I feel that FBB, Natural Bodybuilding, and Masters bodybuilding are somewhat on the backburner when it comes to the IFBB. The NPC, however, makes all the accomodations for the aforementioned fields - as well as including disabled and couples. I know this may sound harsh, but the IFBB could take lessons from the NPC on how to be professional.

From 1994-2003 the Masters Mr. Olympia was the pinnacle of Masters bodybuilding - and then poof! it was gone. Cicherillo claims that Masters shows don't make enough money, and he also claimed that the show he won (the 2006 Masters Pro World) didn't make the promoters enough profit, either.

Still, I believe that if amateur masters can get procards at the NPC Nationals and USA's, then (consistently-held) masters-level shows at the IFBB level should be in place. It's simply not fair and not entertaining to see a guy that goes pro at 39 or 40 having to vy against pro's in their 20's or early 30's. I'll be interviewing the last Masters Mr. Olympia Claude Groulx on http://StrengthAddicts.com, but until then, any feedback?

Since 2003 there have been Masters shows, but no Masters OLYMPIA. The title should be restored!
StrengthAddicts.com

theprof

• Getbig I
Re: Should the IFBB Reinstate the Masters Mr. Olympia?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:37:09 PM »
I always enjoyed the Masters Olympia. I loved seeing guys like Vince Taylor make the move to Masters and still be able to hold his own in the overall. I think that it is the great showcase for the guys that we watched mature for years. It seems that they just get disregarded after a certain age. I understand that it may not make much money (if at all), but there must be a way to include it as an under card.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
Why not? Why are they giving the Master Nationals winners pro cards, if there's no Masters Olympia in which they can compete?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:37 AM »
Chick won the IFBB Masters Professional World Championships.
Is that considered the equivalent of the Masters Olympia?
Do they still hold that show?

I understand cancelling a show because it is not profitable, but why couldn’t they just hold it the same night as the regular Olympia?
There’s already Mr., Ms., Fitness, Figure, and Bikini.
What’s one more?
If it’s held the same night on the same show, then maybe it wouldn’t be a financial loss.
And, not to resurrect the whole bikini division debate, but if it came down to having a bikini contest vs. a men’s Masters division at the premier bodybuilding show in the world…

I suspect this option has been at least mentioned amongst those who decide these things.
Perhaps Chick can provide some insight.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »
Absolutely not. We don't need 40+ year olds drugging up to the gills for a spolight they can't let go. To much health jeapordy.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
We don't need 40+ year olds drugging up to the gills for a spolight they can't let go.

Hey, you give TNA a chance!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:09:27 AM »

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »
yes they should have at least two pro,masters shows a year and one should be the the masters o.put it right along side the olympia,i think they did this before and it worked.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
yes they should have at least two pro,masters shows a year and one should be the the masters o.put it right along side the olympia,i think they did this before and it worked.

x2

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:08:10 AM »
There are too many "Olympia" titles now (Mr, Ms. Fitness, Figure, 202, World's Strongest Bodybuilder, Bikini....and soon, this "classic" physique thing).

It's overkill.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
Why not? Why are they giving the Master Nationals winners pro cards, if there's no Masters Olympia in which they can compete?

X2

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »
to really make it successful they have to involve tom platz,either competing guess posing or running the show,tom was one of most popular bodybuilders ever,and he could make this event real successful.