Author Topic: Review of Venice CA, the Bob Bowl and overall weirdness  (Read 11692 times)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
Review of Venice CA, the Bob Bowl and overall weirdness
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:55:08 AM »
friend came back from Venice,CA-review of Bob Bowl and the overall weirdness

So a friend spent some time in Venice Beach. Went to Gold's Gym, ate at the firehouse, lived the dream.
I asked him about it.

He said: there were many rvs in the parking lot that he believed people lived in...some were very very shady he said. there were also many nice cars in the parking lot-porches, corvettes, etc

a certain ifbb pro who trains at Golds kept slapping his ass... he was not aware that this famous pro was gay until I told him.

Charles Glass was always there he thought... he looked homeless. He said Carl Weathers was doing cardio w/ sunglasses on. He saw Lou Ferrigno sometimes... he looked big.

Stan Mcquay was looking big. He once saw Dexter Jackson... he looked angry. Tony Freeman was also spotted-very tall, small waist, all the women kept coming up to him.

He said the Firehouse was good...he liked the buckwheat pancakes and the egg white turkey scramble. He tried a Bob Bowl. He said it was overpriced and bland.

Max Muscle was like a lame GNC he said. Not very exciting.

Many tattoo shops everywhere. Lots of healthy smoothie shops.
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Are planning on going there as well Gene? I have been not too impressive.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Are planning on going there as well Gene? I have been not too impressive.
It always was a dumpy area.
I went out there 30 yrs ago. Met Dave Dupre  working out at the outside gym aka Muscle Beach.
He bitched about Wieder not paying the magazine fee for his split biceps article and said he was living with his mother at the time ( I am 100% serious ,no joke) He took off in an old beater with smoke comming out the back.

The gym was pretty hardcore and had a great atmosphere. A few guys were living in vans parked out back or in a lot nearby.
It was pretty obvious to me that the majority that went for a "career" in bodybuilding would end up as bums.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
It always was a dumpy area.
I went out there 30 yrs ago. Met Dave Dupre  working out at the outside gym aka Muscle Beach.
He bitched about Wieder not paying the magazine fee for his split biceps article and said he was living with his mother at the time ( I am 100% serious ,no joke) He took off in an old beater with smoke comming out the back.

The gym was pretty hardcore and had a great atmosphere. A few guys were living in vans parked out back or in a lot nearby.
It was pretty obvious to me that the majority that went for a "career" in bodybuilding would end up as bums.
I have seen Dave's pics he had some good biceps split like Boyer Coe's. That had to be be cool seeing some of the old guys back in the day but sad at the same time. I trained with Mentzer there in 2000 before he died same thing old beat up car and a bunch of bums around.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I have seen Dave's pics he had some good biceps split like Boyer Coe's. That had to be be cool seeing some of the old guys back in the day but sad at the same time. I trained with Mentzer there in 2000 before he died same thing old beat up car and a bunch of bums around.
I actually saw Robby Robinson in there working back. Incredible V taper on that guy.
I had spoken with New England physique champ Len Achembault (spell?) about the Venice/muscle beach scene before I went out there at the AAU Mr Bay State. He had just spent a few months out there and felt that only real advantage was access to the latest drugs from Europe.
He cautioned me to enjoy bodybuilding for what it was as a fun hobby and not get too carried with the drugs, etc. GREAT advice I was greatful to hear as a young guy.

My 1st contest in 1978 in Greewhich , Conn, was MUCH better bodybuilding experience then going to southern Cal .
I met Mike Katz, Dave Johns,Chirs Dickerson, Bill Pearl , Bill Grant and pumped up back stage beside Benny Poda who really won the overall. 1978 AAU Mr E Seaboard.
Thanks to Benny I finally moved into a cave hehehehe

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
I actually saw Robby Robinson in there working back. Incredible V taper on that guy.
I had spoken with New England physique champ Len Achembault (spell?) about the Venice/muscle beach scene before I went out there at the AAU Mr Bay State. He had just spent a few months out there and felt that only real advantage was access to the latest drugs from Europe.
He cautioned me to enjoy bodybuilding for what it was as a fun hobby and not get too carried with the drugs, etc. GREAT advice I was greatful to hear as a young guy.

My 1st contest in 1978 in Greewhich , Conn, was MUCH better bodybuilding experience then going to southern Cal .
I met Mike Katz, Dave Johns,Chirs Dickerson, Bill Pearl , Bill Grant and pumped up back stage beside Benny Poda who really won the overall. 1978 AAU Mr E Seaboard.
Yes Benny sounds like your mentor.  ;D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes Benny sounds like your mentor.  ;D
He was and is my idol.
On a serious note, he had some seriously thick muscle.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V

cool story, Howard

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
cool story, Howard
Thanks , here is another you might like.

Before the awards for the teen class at the Mr Eastboard, promoter Mike Katz came back stage and asked the teen finalist who we wanted to get our trophy from; " You have your choice of Miss Nutmeg State or Mr Universe Chris Dickerson."
It was Mr U by unanimous vote ;)

After that, my first contest in '78, it was all downhill for me as a bodybuilder  ;D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

benny won the overall open at that show in '78.
Really friendly, funny but gruff and blunt guy.
He was pumping up back stage with one of those old school chest crushers.
Between pumping I asked him what he did for his massive legs.
His answer was pure Poda!

" Get in the fuckin squat rack and rep out  until you puke . Then, do some more"

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
In before howard has an orgasm over a bbing related thread..... :-\
So Gene, the bob bowl was overpriced and bland?  Isnt that an ironic metaphor.  :D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
He was and is my idol.
On a serious note, he had some seriously thick muscle.
Yes Benny knew society was fucked up way back in the day hence moving to a cave and hanging rocks off his balls.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
1) who was the gay bodybuilder in question?

2) At what point in your life does just having a good orgasm not suffice and you have to resort to wearing one of these

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
howard tell the benny from san diego
No Worries 4 me

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
a certain ifbb pro who trains at Golds kept slapping his ass...he was not aware that this famous pro was gay until I told him.

Your friend must be gay himself. I mean, really... it took you telling him the pro was gay as opposed to your friend thinkin', 'Why does this man keep slapping my ass?' and not do anything about it?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
So a friend spent some time in Venice Beach.
Went to Gold's Gym, ate at the firehouse, lived the dream.
I asked him about it.

He said:
there were many rvs in the parking lot that he believed people lived in...some were very very shady he said.
there were also many nice cars in the aprking lot-porches, corvettes, etc

a certain ifbb pro who trains at Golds kept slapping his ass...he was not aware that this famous pro was gay until I told him.

Charles Glass was always there he thought...he looked homeless.

He said Carl Weathers was doing cardio w/ sunglasses on.

He saw Lou Ferrigno sometimes...he looked big.

Stan Mcquay was looking big.

He once saw Dexter Jackson...he looked angry.

Tony Freeman was also spotted-very tall, small waist, all the women kept coming up to him.

He said the Firehouse was good...he liked the buckwheat pancakes and the egg white turkey scramble.

He tried a Bob Bowl. He said it was overpriced and bland.

Many tattoo shops everywhere.
Lots of healthy smoothie shops.

I know it's the "mecca" and all, but there are better gyms out there. That Golds (like all golds) have became so commercialized I don't consider them any better than the local 24hr fitness.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Coach. what are the better/best gyms in SoCal these days?

Thanks

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Coach. what are the better/best gyms in SoCal these days?

Thanks

It's going to be the more privately owned gyms, MetRx and Milos' gym come to mind as well as a gym called "Lou Greenburgs San Gabriel Gym" "Bulldog Gym" in Glendora (if it's still there). The gyms that the old school guys have and have stayed with, they are still very successful, it's also the smaller warehouse gyms (like the one were planning) and garage gyms where people can train the way they want with a "Hardcore" feel where they can still use chalk, do strongman, etc. Society has been brain washed by the advertising and media attention of the "fitness" gym and makes people think you have to train in place like that to get in shape.....if they only new. BUT the good news is with all of these little gyms still staying in business and the "hardcore" (underground) warehouse/garage gyms opening, you just might see more people migrate to it, not so much the soccer moms but rather their kids possibly opening a new resurgence in training coming full circle to back where it used to be before the commercialization.

To me opening a gym that maybe only 2-3500 sqft and if you install say a 30-40 sprint track with turf 5000sq ft would be more than enough.   

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
Cool story bro

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Hey Howard,Roger Aiudi from Central City Gym in Springfield contracted Dickerson to guest pose at that show in Conn.

I was working the desk in the gym when Roger brought him in and introduced me to him...........good days!!

Remember a kid named Jeff McBride................. .teenager with an awesome build?

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
vencie is the greatest place in the world, best place to live, it is the best

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
So a friend spent some time in Venice Beach.
Went to Gold's Gym, ate at the firehouse, lived the dream.
I asked him about it.

He said:
there were many rvs in the parking lot that he believed people lived in...some were very very shady he said.
there were also many nice cars in the aprking lot-porches, corvettes, etc

Charles Glass was always there he thought...he looked homeless.

He said Carl Weathers was doing cardio w/ sunglasses on.

He saw Lou Ferrigno sometimes...he looked big.

Stan Mcquay was looking big.

He once saw Dexter Jackson...he looked angry.

Tony Freeman was also spotted-very tall, small waist, all the women kept coming up to him.

He said the Firehouse was good...he liked the buckwheat pancakes and the egg white turkey scramble.

Many tattoo shops everywhere.
Lots of healthy smoothie shops.
who is the ass slapping ifbb pro?
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Haha, no offence dude but Venice as with most of LA is a shithole.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE

I tried the Bob Bowl last month. Came with a free Pirate shirt