Author Topic: Overrated Peyton Manning can't win the big game  (Read 2178 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Overrated Peyton Manning can't win the big game
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »

So why do the media keep making excuses for him? 

EVERY NFL team has to fight through injuries.

Say what you want about their lack of a running game, the Colts have plenty of good receivers (including Donald Brown out of the backfield), and Peyton has failed to get the job done 2 weeks in a row now. 

No, the defense isn't stopping anybody, but they still should be able to put 42 on the board week in, week out. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Overrated Peyton Manning can't win the big game
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »
True he has been sub-par his last 2 outings.

I also saw a ton of dropped passes and blown routes, plus having zero ground game isn't helping.

Just a bad game IMO.

8)

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »
you can't expect Peyton to hit every receiver all the time. he's just in a slump right now and it's not a big freaking deal...even Tom Brady had a couple bad weeks sometime in his career. it's too early to write the Colts out yet. there are 5 games left and lots to be done

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
 ???

he should have 2 superbowls.  intercept or not....the league was not letting indy beat the saints while they were pushing how theY put up 30M to bring the superdome back and how THEY were making peoples' lives better.  ::)

i was raised in LA and havent seen one league official in heavy rebuilding areas.

only see a player, coach or the douchebag owner when there's a photo op or a fuckin second line

FUCK THE NFL.  

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »
you can't expect Peyton to hit every receiver all the time. he's just in a slump right now and it's not a big freaking deal...even Tom Brady had a couple bad weeks sometime in his career. it's too early to write the Colts out yet. there are 5 games left and lots to be done

I posted his playoff ineptitude the other day and of course, he never beat Florida while at Tennessee. 

He's a very good player, but for the media to keep talking about him as possibly the 'greatest of all-time' when he's only the 3rd-best QB of his generation is total BS. 

If he wins the next 3 Super Bowls, I'll shut up. 

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
I posted his playoff ineptitude the other day and of course, he never beat Florida while at Tennessee. 

He's a very good player, but for the media to keep talking about him as possibly the 'greatest of all-time' when he's only the 3rd-best QB of his generation is total BS. 

If he wins the next 3 Super Bowls, I'll shut up. 

well, both Payton and Brady have always been the Darlings for the Media. as far as super bowl rings, I don't think they should measure a Great Quarterback by the amount of RINGS on his fingers. Dan Marino was a legend without the rings, but he's as Great as manning, except that he had no rings.  giving what Payton has to work with this season, he's basically carrying the team on his back, But Brady is also in a similar situation where he's the only Big star of his team and he's doing a better job than peyton. I don't think the Media will ever SHUTUP about these two guys. whether they play Great or not

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05:49 AM »
And people were arguing that Manning was better than Brady?  ::)  Can't remember if Brady ever threw 7 int's in two games for his whole career.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »
well, both Payton and Brady have always been the Darlings for the Media. as far as super bowl rings, I don't think they should measure a Great Quarterback by the amount of RINGS on his fingers. Dan Marino was a legend without the rings, but he's as Great as manning, except that he had no rings.  giving what Payton has to work with this season, he's basically carrying the team on his back, But Brady is also in a similar situation where he's the only Big star of his team and he's doing a better job than peyton. I don't think the Media will ever SHUTUP about these two guys. whether they play Great or not

See, here is a man with some intelligence.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »
chargers have always had his number

E
E

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:13 AM »
chargers have always had his number

E

Rivers is another guy who puts up big numbers but hasn't proven shit when it comes to winning big games.  I'll give him credit when he played the pats in the 07 championship game on a torn acl though.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
Rivers is another guy who puts up big numbers but hasn't proven shit when it comes to winning big games.  I'll give him credit when he played the pats in the 07 championship game on a torn acl though.

For all his cockiness, Rivers is actually the victim of one of the worst front offices in football, despite the team's winning record since Rivers and LT arrived. 

Point-blank: their GM has kept them from winning a Super Bowl. 

Rivers is a very good quarterback who will never win a Super Bowl as long as he's in San Diego.  They'll see to that.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
So why do the media keep making excuses for him?  

EVERY NFL team has to fight through injuries.

Say what you want about their lack of a running game, the Colts have plenty of good receivers (including Donald Brown out of the backfield), and Peyton has failed to get the job done 2 weeks in a row now.  

No, the defense isn't stopping anybody, but they still should be able to put 42 on the board week in, week out.  

Ummm....the "BIG GAME" is the Super Bowl. Peyton has won that (got named MVP, to boot). Granted, his defense and special teams had to bail him out during the wildcard and division rounds of 2006. But, he won it, nonetheless.

The media didn't make excuses for him. Until he actually got his ring, they crucified him without mercy. First, he could never win a playoff game. Then, he could never beat the Patriots. Now, the criticism (though much lighter) is that he's only got one ring, as opposed to Brady with three and Roethelesberger with two.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
Ummm....the "BIG GAME" is the Super Bowl. Peyton has won that (got named MVP, to boot). Granted, his defense and special teams had to bail him out during the wildcard and division rounds of 2006. But, he won it, nonetheless.

The media didn't make excuses for him. Until he actually got his ring, they crucified him without mercy. First, he could never win a playoff game. Then, he could never beat the Patriots. Now, the criticism (though much lighter) is that he's only got one ring, as opposed to Brady with three and Roethelesberger with two.
Not sure what part of the country you're in, but I'm in NorCal and listen to national sports radio where the guy is deified day in, day out. 

Not hating...it's just ridiculous that no one in the media wants to let his track record speak for itself.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Peyton can go to toms bradys house and polish his 3 super bowl rings

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
Not sure what part of the country you're in, but I'm in NorCal and listen to national sports radio where the guy is deified day in, day out. 

Not hating...it's just ridiculous that no one in the media wants to let his track record speak for itself.

He's been deified....NOW, because he's got his ring. Before Super Bowl 41, that wasn't the case.

His track record is pretty awesome, except when he faces the Chargers.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
Peyton can go to toms bradys house and polish his 3 super bowl rings

Or, he can polish his own ring.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
Or, he can polish his own ring.

and so can sorry ass

trent dilfer

and every other 1 win Qb

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
and so can sorry ass

trent dilfer

and every other 1 win Qb

One win is better than none at all. The point, of course, is that (for all of Manning's stats) the critics kept giving him the business, because he didn't win a Super Bowl. Well, he won one. So, all that goes out the window. That's why folks like you have to chirp about the fact that (as of now), he only has one ring.

Yes, I know Trent Dilfer has one ring (he used to be the QB for my favorite team). But, without Dilfer, the Ravens don't get that ring, period.

caseyviator

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »
i cant stand horseface i was so happpy when he lost superbowl.

caseyviator

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
i think rivers, big ben, brady are all better now and will end up better at the end of their playing days to.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »
???

he should have 2 superbowls.  intercept or not....the league was not letting indy beat the saints while they were pushing how theY put up 30M to bring the superdome back and how THEY were making peoples' lives better.  ::)

i was raised in LA and havent seen one league official in heavy rebuilding areas.

only see a player, coach or the douchebag owner when there's a photo op or a fuckin second line

FUCK THE NFL.  

Explain to me why the league didn't LET the saints win in 2006?

2006.....The year AFTER Katrina when they got to the NFC champ game vs bears??? wouldn't it make more sense THEN and not 3 entire seasons later and FOUR years removed from Katrina for the league to help the saints beat the colts that year in the SB?

Don't confuse media looking for a story to connect .vs a team that was already good and had the talent to win it all in 2006..fell short.... and won it in 2009 instead.

Internet Tough Guy

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
I think the media makes a god out of Tony Homo in Dallas...and also the drama queen Brett Favre

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »
What a stupid fucking thread title. Peyton Manning overrated? Pull your head out of your ass.

Manning is the single most important reason the Colts have won 6 games this season. Without him at QB, the Colts probably would be winless right now. There's a reason he's won multiple MVP's.

Sure, the Chargers have his number but there are plenty of other reasons that he's playing like shit. Yes, INJURIES are a huge reason why. He's lost Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, and Anthony Gonzalez at varying stages of this season. Putting in TAMME and WHITE as replacements changes the flow of the offense. For one, those players usually do not run with the first team and Manning is still working on the timing on their pass patterns. For Manning, it's a work in progress with the players he's playing with and he's dealing with the growing pains.

Also, the Colts cannot run the ball whatsoever. They're averaging 88 yards a game on the ground. That's a shitty number right there. With Addai out and the various injuries at WR, this team is lucky to be 6-5.

And Manning has won the big game. Once you have a Super Bowl win on your resume, especially as a QB, that dispels any notion that you can't win the big game.

Some of the people that have commented on this thread sound like they're completely clueless about the game of football.

body88

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »
This thread is somewhat ridiculous.

I prefer Brady to Manning, but I understand how good Manning is. Aside from Brady, there is no one I would want quarterbacking my team.

There is some truth to the Manning love fest, though. There is also some truth to criticizing Manning's performance at key times. His superbowl year is the most recent example of his team winning despite him. He played very poorly during that run.

I don't buy the injury excuse. Manning still has weapons, and part of the reason the colts have so many injuries is because of their philosophy of employing small fast players. Durability has always been an issue with that team. Everyone has a bunch of injuries.

Manning has to suck it up and take the criticism. He's supposed to be so good that he improves everyone around him, so he should be able to coach up what he has to work with. Brady took the 2006 Pats to the AFC championship game, and that team was just as bad as the 2010 colts. Reche freaking Caldwell ( who the ef is that) was the number one wr that year.

Manning is not overrated. He's one of the best ever, and if someone says otherwise, I would seriously question their football IQ.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
What a stupid fucking thread title. Peyton Manning overrated? Pull your head out of your ass.

Manning is the single most important reason the Colts have won 6 games this season. Without him at QB, the Colts probably would be winless right now. There's a reason he's won multiple MVP's.

Sure, the Chargers have his number but there are plenty of other reasons that he's playing like shit. Yes, INJURIES are a huge reason why. He's lost Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, and Anthony Gonzalez at varying stages of this season. Putting in TAMME and WHITE as replacements changes the flow of the offense. For one, those players usually do not run with the first team and Manning is still working on the timing on their pass patterns. For Manning, it's a work in progress with the players he's playing with and he's dealing with the growing pains.

Also, the Colts cannot run the ball whatsoever. They're averaging 88 yards a game on the ground. That's a shitty number right there. With Addai out and the various injuries at WR, this team is lucky to be 6-5.

And Manning has won the big game. Once you have a Super Bowl win on your resume, especially as a QB, that dispels any notion that you can't win the big game.

Some of the people that have commented on this thread sound like they're completely clueless about the game of football.

I hate Tom Brady, but Swap him in for Manning and this Colts team likely has 4-5 Super Bowl wins now instead of 1 over the past decade.