Author Topic: Question about HIIT  (Read 3585 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Question about HIIT
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
What is the best work to rest ratio, for example 1 to 1? How long should the work interval last? How many total intervals should be performed? Also, is a 2 min long interval too long? I was doing 10 2 min on/2 min off intervals, but it seems that most of the protocols that I've read about use a shorter work interval, anywhere from 20 sec to 1 min. My goal at the moment is to hit sub-7 and maybe even sub-5. Also, I wouldn't mind obtaining a supra-level of fitness as well ;D

PRO_Crastinator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Question about HIIT
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:43:36 PM »
Post your workout

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:09:45 PM »
Well, I basically train every single nite on a stationary bike, and I try to do 10 2 min intervals at the same level of resistance and rpm, and then once I can complete 10 full 2 min intervals at a certain level of resistance then I take the level of resistance up for the next workout. So I follow a 2 min on/2 min off protocol, and I do anywhere from 6 to 10 total intervals.

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
40 x 100 year sprint
about 30s in between

do tweice a day

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
The only relevant question on the G&O section should be "would you hiit it, or not"?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
Weight training and cardio is two separate entities. You should take as long as needed between sets on weights ie enough to feel like you are refreshed enough to start another set but not too long. Cardio a whole different story.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »
I guess you're right, since over 90% of the fellas have NEVER been sub-7% bodyfat, and they wouldn't have a clue what it's like to be in with such an "elite level of exsistance" LOL!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
Testing always determines progressions.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »
Yeah, but that doesn't answer the question about what is the best HIIT protocol. Supposedly the glycotic energy system is maxed out within 2 min, and that's the main reason why I'm focusing on a 2 min work protocol. ATP-PC is supposedly maxed out within 20 to 30 sec, and that's what the Tabata method focuses on with thier 20 sec work interval. But which protocol causes the most rapid fat-loss?

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
I guess you're right, since over 90% of the fellas have NEVER been sub-7% bodyfat, and they wouldn't have a clue what it's like to be in with such an "elite level of exsistance" LOL!

Yup.  That is definitely true of me. I'm a fat little guy. Not proud of it, just honest.  Elite level?   Me?    Nah, I'm mediocre at best, LOL!  ;D

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
What is the best work to rest ratio, for example 1 to 1? How long should the work interval last? How many total intervals should be performed? Also, is a 2 min long interval too long? I was doing 10 2 min on/2 min off intervals, but it seems that most of the protocols that I've read about use a shorter work interval, anywhere from 20 sec to 1 min. My goal at the moment is to hit sub-7 and maybe even sub-5. Also, I wouldn't mind obtaining a supra-level of fitness as well ;D
i think its more a matter of diet than cardio..whats your diet?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:14:08 PM »
HIT is complete bullshit and a myth, hope this helps..

for some unknown reason HIT practitioners forget to count the first 40-50 reps they do, or call them 'warm up reps'

LOL

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
HIT is complete bullshit and a myth, hope this helps..

for some unknown reason HIT practitioners forget to count the first 40-50 reps they do, or call them 'warm up reps'

LOL

This thread is about HIIT, not HIT.

Intervalls at 1/1 do the best for me, i do it for 12 minutes. Be sure to keep the intensity up, making longer intervalls and dropping intensity brings you nowhere with HIIT.
The feeling you have should be: one minute "FUCK i have to puke" and one minute intensity "I am going to die now".

I have my pulse up to 180-185bpm, sometimes even 190bpm in the intense minute, and around 170 in the "relax minute".

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
Yeah, but that doesn't answer the question about what is the best HIIT protocol. Supposedly the glycotic energy system is maxed out within 2 min, and that's the main reason why I'm focusing on a 2 min work protocol. ATP-PC is supposedly maxed out within 20 to 30 sec, and that's what the Tabata method focuses on with thier 20 sec work interval. But which protocol causes the most rapid fat-loss?

Depends on the goal, 95% of my program design is based on training the energy systems, for example, ATP-CP is the "power" energy system, when we train for power be it, sprints or power exercises, meaning 1-5 reps or if doing speed drills Lineal for example, the rest time is 2-3 mins for weights (power cleans, snatches, med ball, plyos, etc) for speed drills our rest time is right around 1min for every 10 yards ran..why? Because even though the exercise last 20sec or shorter, for example, the average play in football lasts about 5-6sec, the average time between plays in about 30 secs, unless you play like Oregon St with almost no huddles, theoretically it wouldn't make much sense to train beyond the ATP-CP energy system. On the other hand if you do play like Oregon St. you have to train to tap in to the Glycolytic systems, unless you're an endurance athlete, there should no reason why you should tap into the aerobic system.

Wanna burn fat and keep muscle.....don't go beyond the glycolytic energy system.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 02:35:11 AM »
This thread is about HIIT, not HIT.

Intervalls at 1/1 do the best for me, i do it for 12 minutes. Be sure to keep the intensity up, making longer intervalls and dropping intensity brings you nowhere with HIIT.
The feeling you have should be: one minute "FUCK i have to puke" and one minute intensity "I am going to die now".

I have my pulse up to 180-185bpm, sometimes even 190bpm in the intense minute, and around 170 in the "relax minute".
heart attack?  :-\  ;D

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:34 AM »
Depends on the goal, 95% of my program design is based on training the energy systems, for example, ATP-CP is the "power" energy system, when we train for power be it, sprints or power exercises, meaning 1-5 reps or if doing speed drills Lineal for example, the rest time is 2-3 mins for weights (power cleans, snatches, med ball, plyos, etc) for speed drills our rest time is right around 1min for every 10 yards ran..why? Because even though the exercise last 20sec or shorter, for example, the average play in football lasts about 5-6sec, the average time between plays in about 30 secs, unless you play like Oregon St with almost no huddles, theoretically it wouldn't make much sense to train beyond the ATP-CP energy system. On the other hand if you do play like Oregon St. you have to train to tap in to the Glycolytic systems, unless you're an endurance athlete, there should no reason why you should tap into the aerobic system.

Wanna burn fat and keep muscle.....don't go beyond the glycolytic energy system.

brilliant words

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 03:14:31 AM »

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »
Thanks for the detailed answer coach, so from what you've said regarding keeping the training within the gylcotic energy system in order to burn away fat and not burn away muscle, then it seems ok that I can train with 2 mim work intervals. But the question is, does the aerobic energy kick in after 2 min? If so I should probably take the work intervals down to 1 min.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 06:26:49 AM »
Hey DK, when you say that your training last for 12 min with a 1 min on/1 min off work protocol, does that mean that the total training session lastr 12 min, for 6 total work intervals? Or do you mean that you have 12 min of work protocols, meaning 12 1 min work intervals?

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »
When I did HIIT I sprinted for 15-20 sec and then walked or light jogged for 45 sec for the rest interval.

It improved my cardiovascular condition a little bit, but I got absolutely no improvement in body composition. I did it while bulking and it was worthless because my calories were still high..I didn't lean out. I tried it while dieting and just depleted too fast and lost size.

I don't HIIT its that great.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
Hey JP_RC, then you did a 1 to 3 work to rest ratio, I think that one needs at least a 1 to 1 ratio, or maybe even 2 to 1, which in my book is near insanity, but... If that's the price that must be paid to achieve a level of an "elite standing" then I'm willing to pay that price. On a side note, I think that a 15 to 20 sec work interval is a bit too short of a work interval for obtaining extreme leaness ie. sub-7

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
Aceto believes in HIIT cardio at the beggining of a diet/prep, then he moves on to lower intensity and as the diet/prep ends, he eliminates completely cardio or "plays" with it on specific days. The guy is a genious. not a drug guru like everybody else but a true no bs nutritionist.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:49:05 AM »
Hey JP_RC, then you did a 1 to 3 work to rest ratio, I think that one needs at least a 1 to 1 ratio, or maybe even 2 to 1, which in my book is near insanity, but... If that's the price that must be paid to achieve a level of an "elite standing" then I'm willing to pay that price. On a side note, I think that a 15 to 20 sec work interval is a bit too short of a work interval for obtaining extreme leaness ie. sub-7

Could be true, but the thing is I was trying to sprint as hard as possible and I only could hold it for 20 sec max.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 10:40:23 AM »
What I think that is so "magical" about HIIT training is not the actual training sessions per se, but the fact that it super-charges the metabolism and therefore makes one a "fat-burning machine" ;D I see lots of guys talking about diet, well... In my humble opinion diet don't mean sh!t, as it is all about training, and that INTENSE AND EFFECTIVE TRAINING IS THE HOLY GRAIL TO "ELITE STATUS" ;)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »
What I think that is so "magical" about HIIT training is not the actual training sessions per se, but the fact that it super-charges the metabolism and therefore makes one a "fat-burning machine" ;D I see lots of guys talking about diet, well... In my humble opinion diet don't mean sh!t, as it is all about training, and that INTENSE AND EFFECTIVE TRAINING IS THE HOLY GRAIL TO "ELITE STATUS" ;)

how many times a week you do hiit?