Author Topic: All quiet on the black ops front.  (Read 1423 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
All quiet on the black ops front.
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
All Quiet on the Black-Ops Front
Why isn’t Julian Assange dead?
- Jonah Goldberg

I’d like to ask a simple question: Why isn’t Julian Assange dead?

In case you didn’t know, Assange is the Australian computer programmer behind WikiLeaks, a massive — and massively successful — effort to disclose secret or classified information. In a series of recent dumps, he unveiled thousands upon thousands of classified documents from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Military and other government officials insist that WikiLeaks is doing serious damage to American national security and is going to get people killed, including brave Iraqis and Afghans who’ve risked their lives and the lives of their families to help us.

Even Assange agrees. He told the New Yorker earlier this year that he fully understands innocent people might die as a result of the “collateral damage” of his work and that WikiLeaks may have “blood on our hands.” WikiLeaks is easily among the most significant and well-publicized breaches of American national security since the Rosenbergs gave the Soviets the bomb.
So again, I ask: Why wasn’t Assange garroted in his hotel room years ago?

It’s a serious question.

In almost every corner of the popular culture, there are people who assume incredible competence on the part of our intelligence agencies. We take it as a given that spooks can, in the immortal words of Elvis, take care of business in a flash. In the Jason Bourne movies, say the wrong word into your cell phone, and assassins will find you at the train station in minutes. In AMC’s Rubicon, if you pay too close attention to crossword puzzles, your train will be “accidentally” derailed. In Three Days of the Condor, if you ask your bosses the wrong question, a postman with an ice-bullet-shooting machine gun will pay you a visit.

Of course, that’s just Hollywood. But if you read left-wing accounts of the intelligence community, two versions dominate. The CIA and similar outfits are either evil and incompetent, or evil and super-competent. Sometimes the folks at The Nation will mock the CIA for trying to blow up Castro with an exploding cigar. Other times some Oliver Stone type will insist that the military, or the CIA, or the NSA, or rogue elements from those quarters, managed to assassinate JFK and pin it on a Marxist dupe named Lee Harvey Oswald.

Under either scenario, you’d think Assange, super-whistle-blower of the international Left, would be a greasy stain on the autobahn already.

Meanwhile, conservatives have something like a mirror-image view of the black-ops crowd. We tend to think they’re either well-intentioned bunglers or noble ninjas in London fog trench coats. Again, either way, Assange’s shrimp-on-the-barbie should have had Strontium-90 in it years before anyone heard his name.

Oh, and it’s not just nation-states that are threatened by WikiLeaks. These guys spend much of their time going after big corporations that, we’re often told — at least by Hollywood and the people who e-mail me in ALL CAPS — routinely rub out gadflies and whistle-blowers who try to let the world know the electric car was perfected in 1920, or that milk companies are making millions by poisoning their customers (that was the actual plot of I Love Trouble, by the way).

Now, I know there are many solid answers to my question. For starters, the world isn’t nearly so dramatic as novelists, bloggers, self-important journalists, and nostalgic former spies often claim it is. The main evidence that the U.S. government didn’t bring down the World Trade Center on 9/11 is that no one has the ability to pull off a conspiracy like that. And the people who come closest — i.e., those very same spies — are too decent and patriotic even to imagine trying.

Indeed, most of the documents from WikiLeaks debunk the vast majority of conspiracy theories that fueled so much idiocy on the left for the last decade. No sinister plots involving Halliburton or Israel have been exposed — because they only existed in the fevered fantasies of some coffee-shop dissidents.

Second, Assange is essentially hiding behind his celebrity and the fact that it wouldn’t do any good to kill him, given the nature of the Web. Even if the CIA wanted to take him out, they couldn’t without massive controversy.

That’s because assassinating a hipster Australian Web guru as opposed to a Muslim terrorist is the kind of controversy no official dares invite.

That’s fine. And it’s the law. Ultimately, I don’t expect the U.S. government to kill Assange, but I do expect them to try to stop him. Alas, as of now, the plan seems to be to do nothing at all.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/251393/all-quiet-black-ops-front-jonah-goldberg

Makes a lot more sense than these idiotic CTs people are throwing around.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: All quiet on the black ops front.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
I agree with the "debunking" but not the "CIA is afraid of the publicity" thing. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
I agree with the "debunking" but not the "CIA is afraid of the publicity" thing. 

I can only imagine the human rights uproar that would occur were the CIA to knock this guy off. I think he needs it but the vultures would love for it to happen.

Better for the Russians or some corporation to handle it.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
I can only imagine the human rights uproar that would occur were the CIA to knock this guy off. I think he needs it but the vultures would love for it to happen.

I think that is what the CIA is either waiting on or will make it "appear" that way..... 8)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Jonah had an article in the LAT that caused all sorts of meltdowns today.   

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »

Haha if anyone touches him in the next 6 months he'll blow up bigger than gandhi.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »
Haha if anyone touches him in the next 6 months he'll blow up bigger than gandhi.

::)   They will find him bangig a goat in a barn and all will be forgotten. 

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
::)   They will find him bangig a goat in a barn and all will be forgotten. 
Not likely maybe if they wait a bit, but liberal  fucks will jump on it like a hawk.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
Not likely maybe if they wait a bit, but liberal  fucks will jump on it like a hawk.

Most libs are twinks and skells and won't do shit. 

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
Nah they will bitch whine and take up his cause, killing him won't stop this type of thing, it will only give it more publicity, the whole wiki phenom is about the people participation in everything, you can't fight this kind of moment.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 01:43:01 PM »

Even Assange agrees. He told the New Yorker earlier this year that he fully understands innocent people might die as a result of the “collateral damage” of his work and that WikiLeaks may have “blood on our hands.”

>:(

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
>:(
And it will most likely save 100's of lives if it creates futher transparency from the world governments.  Don't cherry pick like that, this ain't just him that's for it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »

I'm called a lib by d-bags on getbig.  They live in lib states, vote clinton don't carry a gun, and their only response to being attacked is to call 911 and recite bible verses in their head waiting for a govt employee to rescue them.

So you can't paint all libs with that brush.  

That being said, the article sucks because it says "The main evidence that the U.S. government didn’t bring down the World Trade Center on 9/11 is that no one has the ability to pull off a conspiracy like that"

That statement means that a nation capable of putting up 1000 military bases, getting their fingers in the pie of nearly every nation on earth, and holding the world at nuclear hostage couldn't blow up 3 buildings without getting 'caught'.... oh brother.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
BF providing a little voice of reason.
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »
And it will most likely save 100's of lives if it creates futher transparency from the world governments.  Don't cherry pick like that, this ain't just him that's for it.

No it won't.  What's going to happen is the government and military will be a lot more careful with the people who have access to confidential and classified information.  Will not change our foreign policy one bit.  

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
I'm called a lib by d-bags on getbig.  They live in lib states, vote clinton don't carry a gun, and their only response to being attacked is to call 911 and recite bible verses in their head waiting for a govt employee to rescue them.

Who in the hell are you talking about?  As that is a missmash of epic proportions.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »
No it won't.  What's going to happen is the government and military will be a lot more careful with the people who have access to confidential and classified information.  Will not change our foreign policy one bit.  

Meh somewhat, I'm optimist, having shit out in the public for everyone to see, might get the average person a little bit more competent in real worlds politics.

This shit about china, being on American's side is such a fucking joke. It's a no shit sherlock, unless your clueless out of touch old fuck.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
Meh somewhat, I'm optimist, having shit out in the public for everyone to see, might get the average person a little bit more competent in real worlds politics.

This shit about china, being on American's side is such a fucking joke. It's a no shit sherlock, unless your clueless out of touch old fuck.

I'd substantively respond to this, but I have no idea what you're trying to say. 

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 02:18:31 PM »
I'd substantively respond to this, but I have no idea what you're trying to say. 
some of what your saying is true, it might make government tighten there belts a little.

However I think it will also help to expose the average person to what really goes on.

Simple shit like china's interest being much the same as our own. It's common fucking sense, but everyday people think there's gonna be some sino american war at some point in the future.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
some of what your saying is true, it might make government tighten there belts a little.

However I think it will also help to expose the average person to what really goes on.

Simple shit like china's interest being much the same as our own. It's common fucking sense, but everyday people think there's gonna be some sino american war at some point in the future.

Whose lives are going to be saved by this? 

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Whose lives are going to be saved by this?  
I donno how many american lives were killed in Iraq, a illegal war without cause,  loads I would think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
I donno how many american lives were killed in Iraq, a illegal war without cause,  loads I would think.

That doesn't answer my question.  It's okay if you don't know.  Just trying to nail down exactly how you think the release of these documents will save American lives.