Author Topic: Anyone else put weapons and food aside  (Read 2782 times)

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
Anyone else put weapons and food aside
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
The last few years I've been using a lot of spare cash to buy guns and ammo. I plan on filling up a couple of those big walmart plastic bins with rice, beans, canned fruit, batteries, hygene supplies ect. I spend quite a bit of time on some of the cool prepper forums. I enjoy them a lot. It' like bodybuilding to me. It has become a passion of mine. Some people in my family think I'm crazy but I live in an area that is affected by hurricanes.

I figure I would rather have spent the extra money and time then be without.

This is a really cool story that I read about a year and half ago that got me to start thinking about the prepping lifestyle a little bit more.

http://www.shtfmilitia.com/users-shtf-stories/the-long-road-home-t336.html

For those of you who read it I hope you enjoy.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: Anyone else put weapons and food aside
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »
Sounds good, just don't go overboard.

Weigh the probability that you will need these supplies against the chance that you won't.
TEAM LAURA LEE!

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »
Sounds good, just don't go overboard.

Weigh the probability that you will need these supplies against the chance that you won't.

Ya I'm not going overboard. Just enough food to last a month. Batteries, razors, t.p ect. I plan on getting another gun or two and I will just maintain what I have. I don't plan on doing as much as a lot of people on the survival forums.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:15 PM »
Ya I'm not going overboard. Just enough food to last a month. Batteries, razors, t.p ect. I plan on getting another gun or two and I will just maintain what I have. I don't plan on doing as much as a lot of people on the survival forums.

I think that's cool, thanks for that link!
TEAM LAURA LEE!

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
www.thesurvivalpodcast.c om

i listen to it everyday.

... his texas drawl has been getting on my nerves lately. was always so thikc but overall i love this survival stuff.

also check oout dual survival and the grandmaster of them all any videos with les stroud on youtube.

the survival podcast is really great

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:09:45 PM »
oh sweet, they have the host of dual survival on for an interview, d/ling now to listen to tomorrow./

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
not really

sometime I think it might be a good idea

problem is with a trigger lock by the time I get the damn thing unlocked i'll be dead

as far as food it mostly would moulder n go bad

I think some people try to make money offa jesus freaks by telling them shits guna go down or somethign built a fort in the hills

I secretly think its just fun to do so so people do it.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
not really

sometime I think it might be a good idea

problem is with a trigger lock by the time I get the damn thing unlocked i'll be dead

as far as food it mostly would moulder n go bad

I think some people try to make money offa jesus freaks by telling them shits guna go down or somethign built a fort in the hills

I secretly think its just fun to do so so people do it.
LOL @ putting a trigger lock on your gun.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
LOL @ putting a trigger lock on your gun.

x2
TEAM LAURA LEE!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:27 AM »
Trigger lock?  hahaha  oh brother....

My mother still cans a ton of veggies and I pick up extra canned food at the store when its on sale on a regular basis.  Have a lot of extra room in the garage, so why not?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:06 AM »
The last few years I've been using a lot of spare cash to buy guns and ammo. I plan on filling up a couple of those big walmart plastic bins with rice, beans, canned fruit, batteries, hygene supplies ect. I spend quite a bit of time on some of the cool prepper forums. I enjoy them a lot. It' like bodybuilding to me. It has become a passion of mine. Some people in my family think I'm crazy but I live in an area that is affected by hurricanes.

Any lists from those places to use as a guideline?
R

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:18 AM »
 I adopted the self sufficient lifestyle years ago. We raise our own beef, have 2000 gal storage tanks of water, woodstove, grow food, fucking guns layin all over the damn place, blah blah blah.
 I have just in the past year gotten into lifting weights and running distance, more of a warrior mindset I have been adopting than attempting to just grow muscles.
 I do enjoy reading here, I don`t have any advice on big biceps but if you wanted to kill a man from 500yds away or wanted to grow watermelons I could probably steer you in the right direction.
time under tension

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
 We live in the mountains of Tennessee, I believe that its zone 6/7. Warm summers, mild winters for the most part.

We have 2000 gals of rainwater storage for potable water plus a 500 ft deep well but that water isn`t near as good as what falls from the sky. I laso have another 1000 gals of rainwater harvested off of my shop to water cattle with.

For ammo I keep about 1500rds for my AR, couple hundred for each of the pistols, couple hundred shells for the shotguns, a lot less for the 30.06, that shit has gone bananas.
 I have been into it for awhile and slowly accumulated this stuff, it would cost a fortune to try and put it all together now.

time under tension

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »
We live in the mountains of Tennessee, I believe that its zone 6/7. Warm summers, mild winters for the most part.

We have 2000 gals of rainwater storage for potable water plus a 500 ft deep well but that water isn`t near as good as what falls from the sky. I laso have another 1000 gals of rainwater harvested off of my shop to water cattle with.

For ammo I keep about 1500rds for my AR, couple hundred for each of the pistols, couple hundred shells for the shotguns, a lot less for the 30.06, that shit has gone bananas.
 I have been into it for awhile and slowly accumulated this stuff, it would cost a fortune to try and put it all together now.

I thought Tennessee ground water was suppose to be the best in the world? 
TEAM LAURA LEE!

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
Ha, fuckin marketing.  :D

Our problem is that living in the mountains you can be subject to sulphur, our well isn`t bad but I can taste the difference.

I have built a tank room onto the side of the house and have piped all the gutters into it, I am a master plumber by day so it was more of a side job type of deal.
 I also managed to build the tank room just big enough to house my weights and bench, strange how that happened.  ;D
time under tension

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
Ha, fuckin marketing.  :D

Our problem is that living in the mountains you can be subject to sulphur, our well isn`t bad but I can taste the difference.

I have built a tank room onto the side of the house and have piped all the gutters into it, I am a master plumber by day so it was more of a side job type of deal.
 I also managed to build the tank room just big enough to house my weights and bench, strange how that happened.  ;D

haha cool

Eastern Kentucky is my favorite place in the world, land down there is cheap, I really want to buy a bunch.
TEAM LAURA LEE!

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
 I have family in Laurel county, land is cheap but not a lot of jobs.
time under tension

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 11:38:34 AM »
I have family in Laurel county, land is cheap but not a lot of jobs.

Cool, most of my family came to Cincinnati around 1920 but I've still got family in Bloody Breathitt...  ;D

To the people in "Bloody Breathitt" (pronounced breath-it) County, Ky., homicide has a purely clinical interest. They ask: How big was the gun? How big a hole was blowed in him? There is also a certain social distinction ("There goes the man who killed Little Jack Combs. He did it with a big, shiny .44. It made a big, round hole in Little Jack's belly. And Little Jack laid there on the ground, talkin' before he died").
TEAM LAURA LEE!

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
Cool, most of my family came to Cincinnati around 1920 but I've still got family in Bloody Breathitt...  ;D

No kidding, I was born in Cinci and lived my first 8 years there. Went to school at a place called Monfort Heights, lived in an area called Cheviot.
time under tension

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
No kidding, I was born in Cinci and lived my first 8 years there. Went to school at a place called Monfort Heights, lived in an area called Cheviot.

I know Cheviot, it's where they block off the streets to play corn hole...  ;D

Small world lol
TEAM LAURA LEE!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
Love connection ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 10:44:35 PM »
I adopted the self sufficient lifestyle years ago. We raise our own beef, have 2000 gal storage tanks of water, woodstove, grow food, fucking guns layin all over the damn place, blah blah blah.
 I have just in the past year gotten into lifting weights and running distance, more of a warrior mindset I have been adopting than attempting to just grow muscles.
 I do enjoy reading here, I don`t have any advice on big biceps but if you wanted to kill a man from 500yds away or wanted to grow watermelons I could probably steer you in the right direction.

you are my idol

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 08:06:29 PM »
I agree that's awesome. I would love to have my own ranch be able to grow my own food. I live in a shitty little two bedroom appartment with my girlfriend. I've been looking at different places I could bug out to if things got bad.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Disaster! Are you ready?
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 04:51:38 AM »
In the wake of recent earthquakes (in Haiti, Chile, Baja) and other potential disasters (tornado, hurricanes, etc.) you may want to take a moment to invest in an emergency kit for your home, office, and/or automobile.  Buying one or more of these kids is great because it saves you the trouble of trying to assemble all of these items one by one or at random.  Most of these kits contain all the recommended items articulated by the American Red Cross.  As you will see, they come at every price point; as little as  $29 up to $1300+

http://beprepared.com/category.asp?c=120&c2c=tn&name=EmergencyKits&bhcd2=1291812353
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219554&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|75277&N=4040913&Mo=24&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=3605*75277*&topnav=

Remember, during an emergency, you may not be able to get to your home or your office.  Either could be demolished, roads or bridges may be destroyed, electricity may be out for an extended period, ATMs not functional, and stores would be immediately depleted of essentials like bread, milk, medicine, and other provisions. The people in Haiti were not in a position to stock up on supplies.  You are.  Do not be caught off guard!  Keep an envelope of $200 in five dollar bills at home and put it in your kit. In the first few days following an emergency, you will likely (perhaps desperately!) need to buy something, but the vendor may not be able to make change.  If all you have are large bills you may end up paying $20 or $50 for a bottle of aspirin or a gallon of milk or some other essential.  If you have children it is vital that you have a large emergency kit at home for your family!

I’m a big advocate of kits because they contain things you either didn’t think of, won’t bother to get, or don’t realize that you need (until it’s too late).  I have a big emergency kit at home, I keep a smaller one in the trunk of my car, and we have emergency kits at my office.  Obviously, it is not a guarantee of anything, but we live in earthquake territory and it sure helps me sleep at night knowing it is there.  At home a have a solar powered/hand crank radio/flashlight combo unit.  It sits in the window of one of the bedrooms so it gets plenty of sunlight and is always fully charged.  As it happens it was pretty cheap but, again, peace of mind = priceless.

btw, people in urban areas often assume that the government or emergency responders will immediately come to their rescue in an emergency.  Not true!  There could be a Michael Brown (“Brownie you’re doing a heck of a job”) in charge of your city’s office of emergency preparedness but you won't know it until it is too late

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 06:35:06 AM »
I`m not wild about the guy that runs this site but he does have a lot of useful information to check out. Its a good place to start.

http://www.survivalblog.com/

time under tension