Author Topic: Citigroup Hires Peter Orszag, Former Obama OMB Chief (MORE HOPE N CHANGE)  (Read 3890 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Citigroup Hires Peter Orszag, Former Obama OMB Chief
First Posted: 12-10-10 09:09 AM   |   Updated: 12-10-10 09:33 AM

www.huffingtonpost.com

NEW YORK/CHARLOTTE, N.C., Dec 9 (By Maria Aspan and Joe Rauch) - Citigroup Inc named U.S. President Barack Obama's former budget director as a senior global banking adviser on Thursday, strengthening its ties to high-profile former officials the same week the bailed-out bank finished shrugging off U.S. government ownership.

Peter Orszag, currently a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, is Citigroup's second hire of a former senior government official this month. Last week the bank hired Carlos Gutierrez, former Commerce Secretary under President George W. Bush, as a vice chairman for its institutional clients group.

Orszag, who had worked as director of the Office of Management and Budget under President Obama, left the White House in July. He was one of the president's most prominent advisers and remains well-connected in U.S. political circles.

Now he will bring those connections to Citigroup -- although the bank said in a prepared statement that his role will not involve direct contact with federal government officials.

Citigroup said Orszag will help manage its investment banking relationships as a vice chairman of global banking and will be a member of the bank's senior strategic advisory group.

He follows in the footsteps of another prominent Democratic government official -- former Treasury secretary Robert Rubin, who became a senior counselor to Citigroup and helped shape the bank's strategy during the years leading up to the financial crisis. Rubin resigned under a cloud of criticism in early 2009, after the struggling bank accepted $45 billion in U.S. government bailout funds.

It took Citigroup until this week to shed its status as a U.S. government ward. The U.S. Treasury owned 27 percent of the bank as recently as April, but said on Monday it had finished selling its shares.

The company's shares closed up about 1.1 percent at $4.69 on Thursday.

Prior to working as the Office of Management and Budget director under Obama, Orszag oversaw the Congressional Budget Office. He holds a doctoral degree in economics from the London School of Economics.

He ruffled Democratic feathers earlier this year by proposing a possible tax-cut compromise after leaving the White House. His suggestion -- extending all rates for two years at a time when the Obama administration wanted to permanently extend rates for the middle class and let rates rise for the richest -- eventually became the centerpiece of the deal Obama struck with Republicans this month.

(Reporting by Joe Rauch in Charlotte and Maria Aspan in New York; editing by Gerald E. McCormick, Bernard Orr)

Copyright 2010 Thomson Reuters. Click for Restrictions.

________________________ ________________________ _______________

HOPE & CHANGE BITCHES!  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Citigroup Hires Peter Orszag, Former Obama OMB Chief
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
Jason Linkins jason@huffingtonpost.com | HuffPost Reporting Become a Fan
Peter Orszag's Move From The White House To Citigroup Should Definitely Trouble You
First Posted: 12-16-10 11:51 AM   |   Updated: 12-16-10 03:15 PM

________________________ ________________________ ____________________

Ezra Klein has a post up today that responds to James Fallows, who had "gently chided" the Washington Post for failing to publish a single story about Peter Orszag's move from the Obama administration to zombie bank Citigroup. Oh, hey, in case you are a Washington Post reader just joining us today, Peter Orszag is going to Citigroup.

Klein's take is that Orszag probably isn't going to Citigroup for the money (though, lo, he shall have some, I'm sure), leaving the possibility that he is doing it for the love, or because the lifestyle of the think-tank/academic/newspaper columnist/deep-thought haver doesn't offer the same "tempo."

Also, in Klein's view, though the value Citigroup can extract from Orszag is perhaps troubling, there's no record of "unscrupulous behavior" on Orszag's part, so why are we worried, exactly? What if we just all agree to look past the seeming corruptness with glancing curlicues of speculation, leavening what would appear to be the Obvious?

What Citigroup gets in Orszag is a brilliant policy mind and a deep understanding of government, not to mention a thick rolodex that certainly still has some friendly names on it. The reasons those things are valuable to Citigroup make most of us uncomfortable, and that goes double after the government bailed Citigroup out during the financial crisis. I highly doubt that the meetings between Orszag and Citigroup left him with the impression that he was getting hired to help with governmental affairs. His portfolio, in fact, is explicitly international. But I don't know anyone who believes that it will stay that way.

So, in other words, Orszag brings a lot of government connections to the table at Citigroup. It's stuff that Citigroup totally wants. Citigroup has already come to realize some of the value of what Orszag has in his pocket. But maybe ALL OF THIS IS LOST ON ORSZAG! And maybe he wants to do, I don't know, something "international?" Nah ... no one believes that it "will stay that way." But is it outside the realm of possibility? Is it not possible that Citigroup has hired Orszag to recover the Raifuku Maru, or become an international ghost hunter?

At this point, maybe we should remember the salient point that James Fallows was trying to make:

Over the past two-plus years, Obama (and GW Bush) policies played a crucial role in saving Citi -- and in not holding its executives (or other senior financial-world figures) accountable for polices that brought on the world financial crisis or reining in top-end pay as profitability has returned. Now a senior member of the Obama team -- Orszag was budget director -- was going straight to one of those top-end jobs, even as his former colleagues in the administration have their hands full fighting the social, economic, and political effects of the crisis on "ordinary" Americans who can't find jobs or are losing their homes.

My mistake was not in pointing out this problem, nor in identifying it as the kind of thing that is notable precisely because no one even stops to remark on it any more. It was in the sentence that said, "Objectively this is both damaging and shocking." That's the difference between one-draft web postings and many-times-edited print articles. What I meant was, "Politically this is damaging, and it should be shocking." Because the real point is that official Washington should notice this instance of structural corruption -- but won't.

Not that anyone is out there branding those moving through the revolving door, as Orszag is, with the scarlet letters of unscrupulous behavior -- the point is that the revolving door itself bespeaks an unscrupulousness that simply goes unnoticed. And in terms of how the government relates to the financial services sector, the spin of that door is near frictionless. The overall seaminess of that enterprise is so underreported that just last week, one of the Post's own reporters felt like they had to obtain a quote in order to get the dictionary definition of "lobbyist" into their story.

Klein writes: "What's difficult about Orszag's decision to go to Citigroup is that I can see how it was the right decision for him even as it was the wrong thing to do. But pile up enough of those decisions -- this one, for instance -- and it is very hard to explain to anyone why they should trust government, even when the people in question haven't yet worked outside the public sector."

Story continues below

AdvertisementThat doesn't really explain all the time taken to embark on a mission of speculative justification for Orszag's choice, but the larger point is that if a "pile" of "these decisions" would make it "hard to explain to anyone why they should trust government," then let's make a pile, already! Here's just one example of such a pile. Let a distrust of government flourish!

One last note here. Klein describes Citigroup as a "really big, really powerful institution." Let's take a minute to remember that Citigroup's institutional strength is, in part, a product of the Financial Accounting Standards Board easing the mark-to-market accounting rule, which allows the bank to assign their worthless assets a value that's rooted in dreamland. Those who lobbied for that rule change were veterans of the revolving door. So, I'm quite sure Peter Orszag knows what the score is, for frack's sake.

[Would you like to follow me on Twitter? Because why not? Also, please send tips to tv@huffingtonpost.com -- learn more about our media monitoring project here.]

________________________ _________________

HOPE * CHANGE BTICHES   ! ! ! ! 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Citigroup Hires Peter Orszag, Former Obama OMB Chief (MORE HOPE N CHANGE)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »
Obama promised this was not going to happen in his administration.

I'm sure once he reads HuffComposte this morning, he'll call up Orszag and demand a private citizen not freely accept a position with a private firm, where he can make a good living using his skillset.

Even though that would be a case of the govt telling a person how much money they can earn.... then putting another mouth on the teet of the unemployment cow.

Really a no-win here :)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »
Wait... You're saying a guy can't go out and get a job if he wants it?

That's not very Capitalistic of you.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:48:45 PM »
 ::)  ::)

Talk about corruption.   And that piece of shit obama thinks he has no part as to why people HATE the govt and have no faith in it and consider him a failure as to how washington works?     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »

How about he go work for a firm not bailed out, lobbied by, and partially owned by the Govt and with whom he was having negotiations and deliberations with supposedly for the taxpayers? 

I swear - the depths and lengths peple will go to defend this admn and he people it hires is truly remarkable.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 12:51:09 PM »

maybe he is one of those "americans" that believes the govt should limit the working man from earning a salary commensurate with skillset.

Or, maybe he is completely unaware of the revolving door policy between banks, the govt, and the military firms that is the basis for our entire govt - regardless of political party.  Bah.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »
How about he go work for a firm not bailed out, lobbied by, and partially owned by the Govt and with whom he was having negotiations and deliberations with supposedly for the taxpayers? 

Why do you suppose the repubs haven't enacted legislation to prevent this?  ;)

You know why...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:45 PM »
Why do you suppose the repubs haven't enacted legislation to prevent this?  ;)

You know why...

MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN POWER YOU JACKASS. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »

I swear - the depths and lengths peple will go to defend this admn and he people it hires is truly remarkable.   

Dude,

I'm not defending any administration, but no one has a right to tell someone they can't earn a living unless they commit a crime, are found guilty, and are forced to deal with those consequences.

Aside from that, I have no business telling someone where they can and can't go work.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
240 - do you know who obama picked for the new OMB spot?

hhhmmmm?  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
MAYBE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN POWER YOU JACKASS. 

i see.  How about INTRODUCE legislation?  Anything?

Nope.  cause this is how it works, man.  This is how it's always worked.  You get in power (govt) to make policies that make certain companies rich.  Then you leave govt and work for these companies.  Dems and repubs alike do it. 

It makes perfect sense that the world works in this way.  You didn't think it was just a coincidence that CEOs became governors so often?  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
Dude,

I'm not defending any administration, but no one has a right to tell someone they can't earn a living unless they commit a crime, are found guilty, and are forced to deal with those consequences.

Aside from that, I have no business telling someone where they can and can't go work.

So then don't say shit about the insitutional corruption and bailouts, and special deals, waivers and loop holes that these banks get that you cant, the lobbying, the revolving door etc etc.  I dot want to hear a word about the goldman crew coming in and out, JP moran and BOA running the joint, its all good right?  

If you don't realize how aful this mess is precil becauseof cap like this, well we deserve exactly and every bad thing that happens.  

Same with Larry Summers, Rubin, Geithner, etc etc.  

No wonder we are so fucked.  Corruption is justified, conflicts of interest perfectly fine, taxpayers getting fucked perfectly fine,  hey, its all cool -  wehave a prez who looks great in shades.  

Oh by the way - look up who Jacob Lew is and get back to me.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
i see.  How about INTRODUCE legislation?  Anything?

Nope.  cause this is how it works, man.  This is how it's always worked.  You get in power (govt) to make policies that make certain companies rich.  Then you leave govt and work for these companies.  Dems and repubs alike do it. 

It makes perfect sense that the world works in this way.  You didn't think it was just a coincidence that CEOs became governors so often?  ;)

LikeI said - you will go to any lengths whatsoever to defend this corrupt admn. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »

LikeI said - you will go to any lengths whatsoever to defend this corrupt admn. 

cheney did the same thing... most of bush admin was in pvt sector in 2000, writing up PNAC together.

It's the way shit is.  It's not about obama, nor dems.  Happened under clinton, happened under reagan.  Look at the resume of anyone on his cabinet - and i'm betting most of them worked for big banks, contractors or 'think tanks' before they arrived and after they left.

The sooner you realize "it's how shit is", the sooner you realize it ain't changing haha...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:23 PM »
cheney did the same thing... most of bush admin was in pvt sector in 2000, writing up PNAC together.

It's the way shit is.  It's not about obama, nor dems.  Happened under clinton, happened under reagan.  Look at the resume of anyone on his cabinet - and i'm betting most of them worked for big banks, contractors or 'think tanks' before they arrived and after they left.

The sooner you realize "it's how shit is", the sooner you realize it ain't changing haha...

So because Bushdid it, its perfectl fine when Bama doe it?   Got it 240.    No wonder you thnk bama is competent.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 01:24:55 PM »
No, EVERY PRESIDENT'S STAFF has done it man.  It's not just bush or obama.  it's govt and industry and top levels, intermingling.

It's how things are. You can learn to work within in, or deny it exists.  To say "I think i'll change things!" is silly.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 01:26:20 PM »
No, EVERY PRESIDENT'S STAFF has done it man.  It's not just bush or obama.  it's govt and industry and top levels, intermingling.

It's how things are. You can learn to work within in, or deny it exists.  To say "I think i'll change things!" is silly.

So Obama was silly or was he lying in this? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
So then don't say shit about the insitutional corruption and bailouts, and special deals, waivers and loop holes that these banks get that you cant, the lobbying, the revolving door etc etc.  I dot want to hear a word about the goldman crew coming in and out, JP moran and BOA running the joint, its all good right?   

If you don't realize how aful this mess is precil becauseof cap like this, well we deserve exactly and every bad thing that happens. 

Same with Larry Summers, Rubin, Geithner, etc etc.   

No wonder we are so fucked.  Corruption is justified, conflicts of interest perfectly fine, taxpayers getting fucked perfectly fine,  hey, its all cool -  wehave a prez who looks great in shades. 

You're talking about telling people how they can and can not make money.

Do you realize what kind of rabbit hole you are starting down?
Oh by the way - look up who Jacob Lew is and get back to me.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »

Forget it - you really are acting a fool here if you don't see the problem with this.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »
So Obama was silly or was he lying in this? 

obama was bullshitting us, of course. 

Did anyone deny that?  LOL!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »
obama was bullshitting us, of course. 

Did anyone deny that?  LOL!

Oh I forgot - that is one of the traits you admire in these pigs - how well they can lie, spin, steal, deceive, and plunder.  Thanks for reminding me.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »

Orszag Zigs into Citibank
Posted by Joe Klein Monday, December 13, 2010 at 3:00 pm 13 Comments • Related Topics: peter orszag

Ugh. Peter Orszag--Obama's former budget director and one of the smartest domestic policy wonks I know--has taken a job with Citibank, one of the least reputable corporations I know. Jim Fallows is appropriately appalled. Unlike Jim, I know Orszag pretty well and have learned a lot from him. But this move only reinforces my growing sense that the Democratic party has to pry control of its economic policy away from the Wall Street caucus--the Rubin, Summers, Geithner, Rattner and now Orszag etc. gang. I am sure they have had real value as policy-makers, but they've had real blind spots as well.

Their blind spots have to do with the workers who once constituted the Democratic party's base, but who now, with their manufacturing jobs gone, have lost their faith in government and find it easier to vote their anger--against one party, then the next--than to vote for anything or anyone. The Wall Streeters know the bond market intimately; they don't spend much time thinking about how to improve life for the vast swath of Americans who have suffered the mergers-and-acquisitions, the leveraged-buy-outs, the private equity hoggery, the CDO and CDS's  and all the other financial gimmicks of the last 40 years.

This is not an argument against free trade--though it's certainly an argument in favor of the sort of tough negotiating the President recently did with the South Koreans on the new trade pact. It's also not an argument for massive wealth redistribution--though a return to the Clinton tax rates of the 1990s, plus a stiff tax on financial derivative transactions, would be nice. It's an argument for consciousness, for carefully considering the impact of any new piece of legislation on the middle class (including small businesspeople), for those people who don't come equipped with their own personal lobbyists.

And it's a hope that the financial policy wonks in the Democratic Party will control themselves a little--and eschew the big bucks--as they slide out the revolving door.

Read more: http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/12/13/orszag-zigs-into-citibank/#ixzz18JUwixUC

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 01:52:52 PM »
Peter Orszag Goes To Citibank
Stuart Shapiro • December 14, 2010, 2:44 PMET • 11 Comments » by Stuart Shapiro

________________________ ________________________ _______________

I’m not one to say that the Obama Administration is in the back pocket of the banking industry.  Nor am I one to deny former OMB Director, Peter Orszag, his right to pursue the career of his choice.  But when I heard that Orszag was going to take a high-paying job at Citibank, my reaction was the same as that of James Fallows.

The idea that someone would help plan, advocate, and carry out an economic policy that played such a crucial role in the survival of a financial institution — and then, less than two years after his Administration took office, would take a job that (a) exemplifies the growing disparities the Administration says it’s trying to correct and (b) unavoidably will call on knowledge and contacts Orszag developed while in recent public service — this says something bad about what is taken for granted in American public life.

As Fallows goes on to note, Orszag had many other lucrative opportunities.  The idea that he had to take this one shows shockingly bad judgment.  And it should also weigh against him if he is interested in any future jobs in Washington.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Tristan9   11:55 PM on 12/10/2010 91 Fans
Become a fan Unfan

Utterly predictabl­e and utterly disgusting­. Another Ivy-traine­d failed economist who is failing upwards into great wealth and privilege, all of it undeserved­. Rubin is a sociopath. This guy is cut of the same cloth, beleives in the same greedy nonsense that is wrecking this country and eviscerati­ng its core. These hacks should be in courtrooms defending themselves not drawing milk from the bankster tit. IT is a mafiaoso system. Once your in, as long as you play along in crime,dece­ption,tric­kery and fraud you are granted favors and promoted.

________________________ ________________________ ___

240 - are you still stuck on stupid or do you alize why people utterly detest this admn and its appointees?