Author Topic: Top 10 States People Are Fleeing  (Read 3084 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Top 10 States People Are Fleeing
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Top 10 States People Are Fleeing
New York, Illinois and Louisiana are expected to lose more residents than they gain this year.
By Jenna Goudreau, Forbes.com
Dec 8, 2010 Provided by:  Share

"We're seeing one of the lowest mobility rates in a century," says Nathaniel Karp, chief economist for banking firm BBVA Compass. Karp says the recession has forced many people to stay put because they are unable to sell their homes, cannot find jobs or are unwilling to relocate for work if it means sacrificing a partner's stable position.

The slowdown makes the question of who's moving and why even more significant than in years past. Using 2010 projections by Moody's Economy.com, Forbes ranked the states in which people are leaving faster than they are arriving. Economists report several overlapping trends that may be forcing people out of certain states as much as they are pulling them toward others.

In Pictures: Top 10 States People Are Fleeing

At No.1 on our list, New York is expected to wave goodbye to 49,000 more people than it gains this year. The state has seen a steady loss of residents over the past five years, losing an average of 100,000 people per year. Karp explains that, because New York is a large state, it may report greater movement than others, but notes that population size is not the only reason residents are fleeing.

"In order to move, you need to be able to sell your home," says Karp. "The housing market [in New York] has not gone through the meltdown that other states have gone through."

While New York homeowners may have a slightly easier time selling their homes and moving to greener pastures, a competing trend is the number of unemployed renters who can no longer afford the high cost of living in and around New York City. Karp says the expensive lifestyle and high taxes may force the long-term unemployed to move on to more affordable regions.

The Prairie State came in at No. 2. Illinois is expected to lose 27,000 people this year, consistent with its average annual loss over the last five years. The losses are likely linked to the state's economy and tax structure. Job losses in manufacturing and industrial machinery are likely pushing people out of the state, Karp says, adding that state taxes have also been "an issue" for many residents.

Midwestern states, in fact, are well-represented in the top-10 list. Nebraska (No. 4), Kansas (No. 5) and North Dakota (No. 9) are among the many central states projected to lose residents in 2010.

The movement may be related to broader structural changes. "For most of the decade people have been moving to the South and Southwest," says Kenneth Johnson, a demographer and professor of sociology at the University of New Hampshire. He believes the trend is closely related to life cycle: Retirees are attracted to states with temperate climates, affordable costs of living, good health care and pretty scenery. For these reasons, Florida and Arizona are expected to receive an influx of hundreds of thousands of people this year.

At the same time, young people in search of jobs may move to the regions to work in services and high tech, says Karp. Texas and North Carolina are home to some of the largest public companies in the country, like Exxon Mobil and Bank of America, and are also among the top-five most attractive states this year.

At least two states in the top 10 are victims of unfortunate circumstances. Louisiana (No. 7) and Mississippi (No. 10) are both expected to lose residents this year. In 2006, the year after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the Gulf Coast, almost 300,000 people left Louisiana and nearly 20,000 moved out of Mississippi. The projected losses this year, though much milder, could be related to the impact of the BP oil spill.

Though specific conditions are pushing people out of some states, economists say more people moving around would be a positive sign for the economy. "Mobility makes it easier to respond to economic cycles," says Karp. "People are still living in places where there are no jobs. That's one of [the] reasons why the unemployment rate remains really high."

Top 5 States People Are Fleeing

No. 1: New York

Projected Loss: 49,000 people

Population: 19.7 million

Percentage Change: -0.25%

The Big Apple may lose more people than it gains in 2010 because of the depressed job market, high cost of living and an ongoing trend of retirees and job-seekers heading to the South and Southwest.

No. 2: Illinois

Projected Loss: 27,000 people

Population: 13 million

Percentage Change: -0.21%

Economist Nathaniel Karp says Illinois' tax structure and loss of manufacturing jobs may be pushing people out of the state this year.

No. 3: Ohio

Projected Loss: 8,900 people

Population: 11.6 million

Percentage Change: -0.08%

Over the last five years Ohio has lost an average of about 30,000 people per year. This year its losses are projected to slow, but remain significant enough to put the state at No. 3.

No. 4: Nebraska

Projected Loss: 5,900 people

Population: 1.8 million

Percentage Change: -0.33%

Nebraska has seen steady losses since 2001. The projected number of people leaving the state this year is particularly high when considering its small population.

No. 5: Kansas

Projected Loss: 4,200 people

Population: 2.9 million

Percentage Change: -0.14%

The Census Bureau reports modest gains for Kansas since 2007. The losses expected this year are similar to those seen in the earlier part of the decade, when the state lost an average of 4,500 per year.

theonlyone

Re: Top 10 States People Are Fleeing
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »
 It's worse than in Russia, people just don't flee but fight ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
Actually what happens in Russia is people just split from it and create their own sperate countries and then some 20 years later some delusional drunk Nancy boy starts chanting "2050"

theonlyone

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »
Actually what happens in Russia is people just split from it and create their own sperate countries and then some 20 years later some delusional drunk Nancy boy starts chanting "2050"

Russia - the biggest country on the planet earth! Soon you will sell us Alaska!

The hit of the 80's in Russia! The song called - Don't be a fool America

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
There is a music industry in Russia ?

theonlyone

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
There is a music industry in Russia ?

When you sell us Alaska, do you think American music industry will remain a serious business>?

theonlyone

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »
 I listen to European music and nothing from the US. Armin Van Burren from the Netherlands with A state of trance and Trance around the World with Above and Beyond from London. Who cares for American music?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »
I listen to European music and nothing from the US. Armin Van Burren from the Netherlands with A state of trance and Trance around the World with Above and Beyond from London. Who cares for American music?
Pretty much the rest of the world. 

theonlyone

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
Pretty much the rest of the world. 

Let me tell you one thing my friend, as to how things done in Russia, no body would spend 1 ruble to buy CD with American music or something. Everything is downloaded via torrents or people are forced to listen to what they play on radio stations. IF your music in on top charts fine! But no body would spend a fucking ruble for the chance to listen to American music. IF tomorrow you cease to exist Russians would not disappoint   ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 01:26:25 PM »
Thieves.  Funny how when bands like metallica etc tour there is always sold out.

theonlyone

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
Thieves.  Funny how when bands like metallica etc tour there is always sold out.

Why thieves? I can download any American music for free right away from torrents! You wanna see me run to shop for cd's? Are you in serious mind? yeah Metallica! The tickets are cheap why not to attend?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »
Downloading music is theft.

theonlyone

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »
Metallica frontman robbed by Moscow waiters

Volcanic ash meant the American heavy-metal band Metallica had to take the train to Russia for their gig. But that inconvenience seemed small for James Hetfield after he was allegedly robbed in a Moscow restaurant.

Hetfield claims he and his band mates had steaks and salads worth around 8,000 roubles ($270). The frontman paid by card, but later he saw that he had been billed over 19,000 roubles – that is twice the bill.

When he went back to the restaurant to complain, the management showed him a receipt for the disputed amount with his signature on it. Hetfield thinks his signature may have been forged.

Whether this was really a case of fraud or of a heavy bill for the heavy appetites of a heavy metal band, is still to be found out.

theonlyone

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »
Downloading music is theft.

Russians don't care, they download all music via torrents for free. I don't know how the things done in US either. Bring it on champion, we are waiting for you to try to school us! ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 01:43:17 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

theonlyone

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 01:45:17 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Still young or forever young! ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 01:49:49 PM »
The reason I asked was because I used to think downloading music was no biggie until I got a little older and learned a lot more about what goes into bringing a product to market and the costs involved to everyone.  I believe artists should be compensated for their work.

theonlyone

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
The reason I asked was because I used to think downloading music was no biggie until I got a little older and learned a lot more about what goes into bringing a product to market and the costs involved to everyone.  I believe artists should be compensated for their work.

Welcome to Russia, charge for the tickets as much as you want and get your work compensated!  8)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Oh lord. 

theonlyone

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
 I download all the state of trance episodes with Armin Van Burren for free via torrents. But he's coming to my club in Russia the next year so I will pay))))))

theonlyone

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 01:57:08 PM »
Oh lord. 

yeah! Big thanks to America for free music the Russians listen to, without paying a dime!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
And when china starts stealing all your stuff what will you say.

theonlyone

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
And when china starts stealing all your stuff what will you say.

Well depends on your mindset and mentality! China has always been stealing everything from Russia and we know it but we don't care, we steal from Americans! ;D

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
Why thieves? I can download any American music for free right away from torrents! You wanna see me run to shop for cd's? Are you in serious mind? yeah Metallica! The tickets are cheap why not to attend?

No. Now that the Recording Industry has finally wised up we just expect you to pay a measly dollar to download a song.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »

Stealing from artists and the recording industry is wrong. And I just love these people who try to justify it by saying that it is the "greedy" recording industry who is stealing from these artists any way. The truth is that you are stealing both from the recording industry and the artist, and both are responsible for you being able to enjoy the music. But shame on the recording industry for not recognizing a market that was almost literally slapping them in the face.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!