Author Topic: Senate Dems unveil $1.1T spending bill (2,000 pages) -  (Read 1140 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Senate Dems unveil $1.1T spending bill (2,000 pages) -
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:59:02 AM »
Senate Dems unveil $1.1T spending bill
By Alexander Bolton - 12/14/10 01:52 PM ET
www.thehill.com

Senate Democrats have filed a $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill that would fund the government through fiscal year 2011, according to Senate GOP sources.

The 1,924-page bill includes funding to implement the sweeping healthcare reform bill Congress passed earlier this year as well as additional funds for Internal Revenue Service agents, according to a senior GOP aide familiar with the legislation.

The package drew a swift rebuke from Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee.

"The attempt by Democrat leadership to rush through a nearly 2,000-page spending bill in the final days of the lame-duck session ignores the clear will expressed by the voters this past election," Thune said in a statement. "This bill is loaded up with pork projects and should not get a vote. Congress should listen to the American people and stop this reckless spending.”

Thune has called for a short-term funding measure free of earmarks to keep the government operating beyond Dec. 18, when the current continuing resolution expires.

Despite strong opposition from Thune and Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.), several Senate Republicans are considering voting for the bill.

“That’s my intention,” said retiring Sen. Bob Bennett (R-Utah) when asked if he would support the package.

Bennett said earmarks in the bill might give some of his GOP colleagues reason to hesitate but wouldn’t affect his vote.

“It will be tough for some, but not for me,” he said.

GOP Sens. Kit Bond (Mo.), George Voinovich (Ohio) and Susan Collins (Maine) also told The Hill on Tuesday they would consider voting for the omnibus but want to review it before making a final decision.

“I hope to be able to vote for one,” Bond said of the omnibus. “We’ve got to look what’s in it.

“I’m anxious to see it,” he added.

Source:
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/133563-senate-dems-unveil-11t-omnibus-spending-bill-

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Senate Dems unveil $1.1 TRILLION spending bill (2,000 pages) -
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09:20 AM »
The 1,924-page bill includes funding to implement the sweeping healthcare reform bill Congress passed earlier this year as well as additional funds for Internal Revenue Service agents, according to a senior GOP aide familiar with the legislation.

________________________ ______________________

Lie No. 2,445,996 from these treasonous RATS.  Remember they said they were not hring more IRS Agents to police KevorkianCare? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Senate Dems unveil $1.1T spending bill (2,000 pages) -
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »
BUMP for TEAM KNEEPAD! 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
 ::)  And yet when a bill like this gets passed, Team hypocrite won't get mad when Republican senators ask and receive earmarks and 'pork'   ::)

What a surprise.  I'm against pork so much that when a bill gets passed i'm going to ask for more of it.  Then tell my constituents just how hard i fought to not have to help them out with this money. hahaha typical 333 thinking right there!
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
i want the govt shut down and cut by at least 50%.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
i want the govt shut down and cut by at least 50%.

hahaha yeah okay that solves it cut out government and just let you be! they don't do anything ever!
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
hahaha yeah okay that solves it cut out government and just let you be! they don't do anything ever!

50% would be a good start and payoff the debt by selling off tons of the land under management no ne is using.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »
50% would be a good start and payoff the debt by selling off tons of the land under management no ne is using.   

So you would be ok cutting the Defense budget down to about 400 Billion?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
So you would be ok cutting the Defense budget down to about 400 Billion?

We have to cut down everything.   We are heading for a currecy crises and collapse if we don't.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »
We have to cut down everything.   We are heading for a currecy crises and collapse if we don't.   

Just want to make sure.

I think a 30% cut everywhere would be enough myself, but if we could make it with 50, I'd be ok there too.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:12:19 AM »
The real problem here is the fuckers that got voted out pulling this shit in a lame duck congress. 1 last screw you to the American people before they go on the lecture circuit and collect their pension and life time medical care.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
::)  And yet when a bill like this gets passed, Team hypocrite won't get mad when Republican senators ask and receive earmarks and 'pork'   ::)

What a surprise.  I'm against pork so much that when a bill gets passed i'm going to ask for more of it.  Then tell my constituents just how hard i fought to not have to help them out with this money. hahaha typical 333 thinking right there!
LOL was it not the dems that shot down the bill to ban any new earmarks in legislation?

things that make you go, hmmmmmmm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
LOL was it not the dems that shot down the bill to ban any new earmarks in legislation?

things that make you go, hmmmmmmm

The Peloi/Reid/Obama Trifecta of Treason has been the abslute worst of my lifetime on so many levels its hard to describe. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
here you go KC

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/senate_piggies_kill_anti_earmark_YtxYMSPPD1KCg8TFfZj59K
http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/2010/12/01/senate-democrats-reject-republicans-bill-to-ban-earmarks/

taadaaaaaaaa

Senate Republicans have already passed a voluntary ban on earmarks in their caucus, but several GOP senators have objected to it. Democrats have so far declined to ban earmarks from their members.

The legislation would have established an earmark moratorium for fiscal years 2012 and 2013, and also would have covered the fiscal year that began on Oct. 1. Congress has yet to pass an appropriations bill for the current fiscal year, and in the lame-duck session lawmakers are likely to approve either an omnibus spending bill or a continuing resolution to keep the government operating.

hmmmm rejecting a ban on earmarks just weeks before you try to pass a bill full of earmarks...while crying about the deficit and tax cuts  :D NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
the reasoning you ask??????

The debate over an earmarks ban is a “shallow” issue because it would not save any money, just hand the executive branch more power in deciding how federal dollars are directed to states, said Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), who secured $160 million in earmarks this year for 140 projects including hurricane-protection and flood-control needs.

“I know the Republican caucus is focused on earmarks but that is just one very, very small part of the problem,” she said. “It not only represents less than 1 percent of the budget; it represents just a fraction of the problem.

“And we really want to focus on solving the big problem, which is getting back to or at least on a path to fiscal responsibility in a thoughtful way, which is more than I feel like they’re doing,” Landrieu added.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45306.html#ixzz18DCyFBqB

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »
The Democrats have prove themselves completely unfit to be in charge of anything. 

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
THE LAST FEAST: 6,488 EARMARKS
Tue Dec 14 2010 19:40:02 ET

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) delivered the following statement today on the floor of the U.S. Senate:

“Mr. President, at 12:15 p.m. this afternoon, my office received a copy of the omnibus appropriations bill. It is 1,924 pages long and contains the funding for all 12 of the annual appropriations bills for a grand total of over $1.1 Trillion. It is important to note that the 1,924 pages is only the legislative language and does not include the thousands of pages of report language which contain the details of the billions of dollars in earmarks and, I’m sure, countless policy riders.

“While we continue to uncover which earmarks the appropriators decided to fund – thanks to a new online database – we at least know what earmarks were requested by Members and how much those projects would cost the American people if they were all funded. Taxpayers against Earmarks, www.washingtonwatch.com and Taxpayers for Common Sense joined forces to create this database. According to the data they compiled – for fiscal year 2011 Members requested over 39,000 earmarks totaling over $130 billion. Absolutely disgraceful. I encourage every American to go to the website www.endingspending.com study it, and make yourselves aware of how your elected officials seek to spend your money.

“In the short time I’ve had to review this massive piece of legislation – I’ve identified approximately 6,488 earmarks totaling nearly $8.3 billion. Here is a small sample:

$277,000 for potato pest management in Wisconsin
$246,000 for bovine tuberculosis in Michigan and Minnesota
$522,000 for cranberry and blueberry disease and breeding in New Jersey
$500,000 for oyster safety in Florida
$349,000 for swine waste management in North Carolina
$413,000 for peanut research in Alabama
$247,000 for virus free wine grapes in Washington
$208,000 beaver management in North Carolina
$94,000 for blackbird management in Louisiana
$165,000 for maple syrup research in Vermont
$235,000 for noxious weed management in Nevada
$100,000 for the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage Visitor’s Center in New York
$300,000 for the Polynesian Voyaging Society in Hawaii
$400,000 for solar parking canopies and plug-in electric stations in Kansas

“Additionally, the bill earmarks $727,000 to compensate ranchers in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan whenever endangered wolves eat their cattle. As my colleagues know, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Gray Wolf program is under intense scrutiny for wasting millions of taxpayer dollars every year to ‘recover’ endangered wolves that are now overpopulating the West and Midwest. My State of Arizona has a similar wolf program but ranchers in my state aren’t getting $727,000 in this bill.

“Mr. President, I will have much more to say about this bill later this week. I assure my colleagues – we will spend a great deal of time talking about this bill and the outrageous number of earmarks it contains. But for now let me just say this: it is December 14th – we are 22 days away from the beginning of a new Congress and nearly three full months into fiscal year 2011 – and yet we have not debated a single spending bill or considered any amendments to cut costs or get our debt under control. Furthermore, the majority decided that they just didn’t feel like doing a budget this year. How is that responsible leadership?

“This is the ninth omnibus appropriations bill we have considered in this body since 2000. That is shameful and we should be embarrassed by the fact that we care so little about doing the people’s business that we continuously put off fulfilling our constitutional responsibilities until the very last minute.

“One thing is abundantly clear to me – that the majority has not learned the lessons of last month’s election. The American people could not have been more clear. They are tired of wasteful spending. They are tired of big government. They are tired of sweetheart deals for special interests. They are tired of business as usual in Washington. And they are tired of massive bills – just like this one - put together behind closed doors, and rammed through the Congress at the last moment so that no one has the opportunity to read them and no one really knows what kind of waste is in them.

“Let me be clear about one thing – if the Majority Leader insists on proceeding to this monstrosity - the American people will know what’s in it. I will be joined by many of my colleagues on this side of the aisle to ensure that every single word of this bill is read aloud here on the Senate floor.

“I encourage my friends on the other side of the aisle to rethink their strategy and move forward with a short-term continuing resolution to fund the government into next year when a new Congress takes over – a Congress that was elected by the American people on November 2nd. “The majority may be able to strong arm enough members into voting for this omnibus – but they will not win in the end. The American people will remember – and I predict that we will see a repeat of November 2nd in the very near future.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »

Must be for Reid.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 12:35:34 PM »

Must be for Reid.

Haha,

Is it me or has the national Debt gone down? Where at 13.8 Trillion..I could have swarn we were at 14.10 T a few weeks ago...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
THE LAST FEAST: 6,488 EARMARKS
Tue Dec 14 2010 19:40:02 ET

Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) delivered the following statement today on the floor of the U.S. Senate:

“Mr. President, at 12:15 p.m. this afternoon, my office received a copy of the omnibus appropriations bill. It is 1,924 pages long and contains the funding for all 12 of the annual appropriations bills for a grand total of over $1.1 Trillion. It is important to note that the 1,924 pages is only the legislative language and does not include the thousands of pages of report language which contain the details of the billions of dollars in earmarks and, I’m sure, countless policy riders.

“While we continue to uncover which earmarks the appropriators decided to fund – thanks to a new online database – we at least know what earmarks were requested by Members and how much those projects would cost the American people if they were all funded. Taxpayers against Earmarks, www.washingtonwatch.com and Taxpayers for Common Sense joined forces to create this database. According to the data they compiled – for fiscal year 2011 Members requested over 39,000 earmarks totaling over $130 billion. Absolutely disgraceful. I encourage every American to go to the website www.endingspending.com study it, and make yourselves aware of how your elected officials seek to spend your money.

“In the short time I’ve had to review this massive piece of legislation – I’ve identified approximately 6,488 earmarks totaling nearly $8.3 billion. Here is a small sample:

$277,000 for potato pest management in Wisconsin
$246,000 for bovine tuberculosis in Michigan and Minnesota
$522,000 for cranberry and blueberry disease and breeding in New Jersey
$500,000 for oyster safety in Florida
$349,000 for swine waste management in North Carolina
$413,000 for peanut research in Alabama
$247,000 for virus free wine grapes in Washington
$208,000 beaver management in North Carolina
$94,000 for blackbird management in Louisiana
$165,000 for maple syrup research in Vermont
$100,000 for the Edgar Allen Poe Cottage Visitor’s Center in New York
$300,000 for the Polynesian Voyaging Society in Hawaii
$400,000 for solar parking canopies and plug-in electric stations in Kansas

“Additionally, the bill earmarks $727,000 to compensate ranchers in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan whenever endangered wolves eat their cattle. As my colleagues know, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Gray Wolf program is under intense scrutiny for wasting millions of taxpayer dollars every year to ‘recover’ endangered wolves that are now overpopulating the West and Midwest. My State of Arizona has a similar wolf program but ranchers in my state aren’t getting $727,000 in this bill.

“Mr. President, I will have much more to say about this bill later this week. I assure my colleagues – we will spend a great deal of time talking about this bill and the outrageous number of earmarks it contains. But for now let me just say this: it is December 14th – we are 22 days away from the beginning of a new Congress and nearly three full months into fiscal year 2011 – and yet we have not debated a single spending bill or considered any amendments to cut costs or get our debt under control. Furthermore, the majority decided that they just didn’t feel like doing a budget this year. How is that responsible leadership?

“This is the ninth omnibus appropriations bill we have considered in this body since 2000. That is shameful and we should be embarrassed by the fact that we care so little about doing the people’s business that we continuously put off fulfilling our constitutional responsibilities until the very last minute.

“One thing is abundantly clear to me – that the majority has not learned the lessons of last month’s election. The American people could not have been more clear. They are tired of wasteful spending. They are tired of big government. They are tired of sweetheart deals for special interests. They are tired of business as usual in Washington. And they are tired of massive bills – just like this one - put together behind closed doors, and rammed through the Congress at the last moment so that no one has the opportunity to read them and no one really knows what kind of waste is in them.

“Let me be clear about one thing – if the Majority Leader insists on proceeding to this monstrosity - the American people will know what’s in it. I will be joined by many of my colleagues on this side of the aisle to ensure that every single word of this bill is read aloud here on the Senate floor.

“I encourage my friends on the other side of the aisle to rethink their strategy and move forward with a short-term continuing resolution to fund the government into next year when a new Congress takes over – a Congress that was elected by the American people on November 2nd. “The majority may be able to strong arm enough members into voting for this omnibus – but they will not win in the end. The American people will remember – and I predict that we will see a repeat of November 2nd in the very near future.”

Business as usual.  Didn't the president say he would not sign bills with earmarks? 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
Good thing he didn't mention the genital washing program for lower income earners in the Bronx NY. Shit really would have hit the fan.