Author Topic: Obama Admn wants reporting for high-powered rifle sales.  (Read 3325 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Obama Admn wants reporting for high-powered rifle sales.
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
how about the ones that are bought legally in the US and then smuggled into Mexico

Don't you think it might help in track the people who are doing the smuggling or at the very least give us an idea which stores might be selling these weapons which wind up in Mexico (or somewhere else for that matter)

LE seems to like the idea and we all know what a bunch of bleeding heart Lib/Commies they are
LE was also in favor of the arizona law, does that mean that was right now?

I never said that guns bought here dont find there way to mexico, the question is how is this going to stop it?

no I dont, first of all the criminals are not buying the guns....they are stealing them from homes

and even if they were they would just have a patsy buy the guns and say someone stole them from his house or car...

if I can come up with ways to get around this law in 2 seconds you think those criminals would be able to?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »

I never said that guns bought here dont find there way to mexico, the question is how is this going to stop it?

no I dont, first of all the criminals are not buying the guns....they are stealing them from homes

and even if they were they would just have a patsy buy the guns and say someone stole them from his house or car...

if I can come up with ways to get around this law in 2 seconds you think those criminals would be able to?

This has nothing to do with Mexico, its about openig the door to a national registration for long arms for law abiding citizens.

Its more bogus crap from ATF.     

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 03:18:58 PM »

Many LE in AZ were also against the law

if guns are bought legally and then wind up in the hand of a criminal the law could help track how that gun got in the hand of the criminal

Is it perfect....No

If it prevents people who intend to buy guns and then smuggle them to Mexico from not buying the guns then that is a good thing too

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
This has nothing to do with Mexico, its about openig the door to a national registration for long arms for law abiding citizens.
Its more bogus crap from ATF.     

then why did you post a story about guns being smuggled to Mexico?

Or maybe we're just supposed to believe your paranoid delusion that it's really just a ploy by the US and Mexico to further Obama secret agenda to take your guns

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »

if guns are bought legally and then wind up in the hand of a criminal the law could help track how that gun got in the hand of the criminal

Is it perfect....No

If it prevents people who intend to buy guns and then smuggle them to Mexico from not buying the guns then that is a good thing too
As im sure many LE are against this law...so i guess that point is kind moot... ;)

what is that going to do straw? this law is meant to prevent, its not going to prevent anything...

LOL its not going to prevent, Ive given you two examples of how it wont already...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 03:29:19 PM »
As im sure many LE are against this law...so i guess that point is kind moot... ;)
what is that going to do straw? this law is meant to prevent, its not going to prevent anything...

LOL its not going to prevent, Ive given you two examples of how it wont already...

why not guess?

isn't that what you always do

I already gave you a way it might prevent guns from being sold and also how it might help track the guns back to the source

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
Libs have always complained about there not being a national registry for long arms.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
Libs have always complained about there not being a national registry for long arms.

you have a get a registration for your car and probably your jet ski too

in New York state I think you're required to get a license for your dog

what's the problem with having to register your guns?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
I have a fully carry in ny and had to go through tons of shit to get it.  But handguns are different than long arms and I am not even thrilled about the hand gun registiries.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 04:10:28 PM »
I have a fully carry in ny and had to go through tons of shit to get it.  But handguns are different than long arms and I am not even thrilled about the hand gun registiries.

how about your car, jet ski and dog?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 04:11:26 PM »
why not guess?

isn't that what you always do

I already gave you a way it might prevent guns from being sold and also how it might help track the guns back to the source
and ive given you easy ways to circumvent that...

again this is meant to prevent, if you can easily circumvent it...guess what?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »
and ive given you easy ways to circumvent that...

again this is meant to prevent, if you can easily circumvent it...guess what?

what's your point

if the attempt isn't perfect then we should just make no effort at all

I've already said if it prevents someone from buying a gun who intends to sell it or smuggle it then great.   
Will that person find a way to get a gun anyway?  Perhaps but so what?   At least it's making it more difficult and it has zero effect on law abiding citizens.   If the legally obtained gun winds up in Mexico then we now will have some ability to track it back to the source. 

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 04:49:54 PM »

Is it perfect....No

No one intending to smuggle guns into Mexico buys them in the US.  Secondly, there's no way to find out where a gun is once it goes into the black market, even if it was bought legally and tracked, all of that goes out the window as soon as it's handed to someone else for illegal purposes.

This law is essentially what the others have been stating, it does absolutely jack squat in achieving it's face value.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
This s going to be backdoor national registry of long arms.  It will start here and expand. 

By the way - most of the weapons being usedby the ZETAs are not the oes they are targeting.   Most of the ones in Mexico are full auto's from China and Russia, not small gun shops.

This reg also will be challenged an struck down in court BTW.  Either everyone has to report or no one at all. 

Since when do we have geographic regs?   

This is related to what you said, but a different country. If you have ever seen the movie City of God, about Brazil's drug trade in the 70's, they show on the DVD all the guns taken and cataloged...it looked like that scene in the Matrix, where all those guns show up...well, these guns were all American made....They had a interview with the police chief and he said, basically that America can come down here and invade a country to stop drugs from coming into it's country, I would like to go to the US to stop the guns from coming into our coutry...Our illegal export to many, many countries is guns.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
No one intending to smuggle guns into Mexico buys them in the US.  Secondly, there's no way to find out where a gun is once it goes into the black market, even if it was bought legally and tracked, all of that goes out the window as soon as it's handed to someone else for illegal purposes.

This law is essentially what the others have been stating, it does absolutely jack squat in achieving it's face value.
The story 333 posted said explicitly that guns were being purchased in the US in border towns and then smuggled to Mexico.   If we have no registration now then I'm sure you are correct that once it goes to the black market then it probably does make it impossible to track.   I doubt this proposed rule change will cure that but it could help a bit.   I still see no reason why it would be bad

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »
BATFE Requests “Emergency” Authority To Track Semi-Automatic Rifle Sales
NRA ^ | December 17, 2010 | NA

·11250 Waples Mill Road ·   Fairfax, Virginia 22030    ·800-392-8683

BATFE Requests “Emergency”
Authority To Track Semi-Automatic Rifle Sales 

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has proposed that it be given emergency authority for six months, beginning January 5, to require about 8,500 firearms dealers along the border with Mexico “to alert authorities when they sell within five consecutive business days two or more semiautomatic rifles greater than .22 caliber with detachable magazines.”  A Washington Post story reporting on the BATFE proposal described that definition as being applicable to “so-called assault weapons,” but it would also apply to many rifles that have never been labeled with that term. 

The reporting requirement will apparently be imposed under the “authority” the BATFE has used in the past to demand reporting of other types of transactions from certain limited groups of dealers over the past 10 years, but the new proposal is far broader than any previous use of this authority.  Of course, there's no law today that prevents dealers from reporting suspicious transactions (or attempted transactions) to the BATFE, and dealers often do so. The BATFE is also free to inspect dealers' sales records—either for annual compliance inspections or during a criminal investigation.

NRA-ILA’s chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, denounced the attempt to establish a registry of Americans who purchase semi-automatic rifles that gun control supporters ultimately want to see banned. "This administration does not have the guts to build a wall, but they do have the audacity to blame and register gun owners for Mexico's problems," Cox told the Post. "NRA supports legitimate efforts to stop criminal activity, but we will not stand idle while our Second Amendment is sacrificed for politics."

The Post says “The plan by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives revives a proposal that has languished at the Justice Department and in the Obama administration for several months,” and that the gist of the plan was proposed by Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) last year. It its August 2009 Blueprint for Federal Action on Guns, MAIG indeed proposed that “ATF should identify the long guns most linked to crime and require dealers to report multiple sales of such guns.”

The idea must have appealed to the BATFE, because in June of this year Congress’ Government Accountability Office released a report noting that BATFE officials had claimed that U.S. efforts to stop the smuggling of firearms to Mexico are hindered by “a lack of required background checks for private firearms sales, and limitations on reporting requirements for multiple sales.”

Curiously, in September, a draft of the Department of Justice’s Inspector General’s Office’s unfavorable review of BATFE’s Project Gunrunner, established to combat the trafficking of firearms to Mexico, didn’t mention multiple sales at all. But the final version of the review, released in November, mentions “multiple sales” 43 times and says “the lack of a reporting requirement for multiple sales of long guns – which have become the cartels’ weapons of choice – hinders ATF’s ability to disrupt the flow of illegal weapons into Mexico.”

Whether BATFE intends its plan as another expansion of its oft-criticized firearm sales record tracing empire, or to lay the groundwork for legislation or regulations restricting “assault weapon” sales, or to fatten the files the agency keeps at its National Tracing Center in West Virginia remains to be seen. And the legality of requiring sales reports on any long guns is also in doubt. When the Congress specifically imposed multiple sales reporting on handguns only, it implicitly stated its intention that the same requirement not apply to sales of long guns. 

However, it is crystal clear that some in the Obama Administration agree with those who believe the answer to crime is always more gun control. In September, MAIG blamed crime in states that have “strong” gun laws, on states that don’t have the same laws. And ever since President Obama took office, gun control supporters have been blaming Mexico’s crime problem on America’s gun laws.

The fact that Mexico’s multi-billion dollar drug cartels have machine guns, rocket launchers, grenades, and other potent weaponry you cannot buy in the United States is, to gun control supporters, irrelevant. The fact that most of the cartels’ guns have never been on this side of the U.S. border is, as far as they are concerned, a trifling inconvenience. The fact that the cartels will never have enough “assault weapons” or any other guns from the U.S. to hand out to all the Mexican policemen, soldiers and politicians on their payrolls, is, in their view, an unimportant detail.  And the fact that the murder rate in the United States is at a 45-year low, while crime in Mexico is through the roof (the murder rate in Juarez is 115 times higher than in El Paso) is, they would certainly say, a contradiction best ignored.

To read the BATFE's Federal Register notice about the plan, and for information on how to send your comments, click here

(http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-31761.pdf).  Comments about the proposal will be accepted for two months; if you choose to comment, please state your firm but polite opposition to the plan.

Needless to say, the NRA will not only comment, but take whatever other action is appropriate to block this sweeping expansion of federal recordkeeping on gun owners.  Stay tuned.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
what the problem again with having to register the ownership of a gun?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »

I don't agree with it because history has shown that such lists are often used for bad purposes in wrong hands. 

I agree with background checks, but not lists by the govt. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
I don't agree with it because history has shown that such lists are often used for bad purposes in wrong hands. 

I agree with background checks, but not lists by the govt. 

care to share an example of when a list of registered gun owners has been used for bad purposes?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
care to share an example of when a list of registered gun owners has been used for bad purposes?

Are you serious? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
Are you serious? 

yes. 

you said "history has shown that such lists are often used for bad purposes in wrong hands."

how about a extending that sentence with "for example".......

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:29 PM »
Are you serious? 

Too bad you never are.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
So let me get this strait, someone that is going to smuggle guns into Mexico is going to go through all the legal channels in the US,and leave a paper trail, just to commit a crime? So you have any idea how stupid that is?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
So let me get this strait, someone that is going to smuggle guns into Mexico is going to go through all the legal channels in the US,and leave a paper trail, just to commit a crime? So you have any idea how stupid that is?

there's no paper trail at the moment

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
whats the problem with building a wall..

which will be 10x more effective than this piss ant bill?