Author Topic: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?  (Read 30257 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:39 AM »
i think there already is google muscle milk lead

You said zero protein. Only fat and lead.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2010, 05:31:18 AM »
Yeah man, when I said "extending the set" I meant doing breakdowns, negatives, forced reps, etc... I'm still not convinced about the "real value" of set extenders, but I am convinced about using HEAVY RESISTANCE. I base this idea of mine on my experience with the leg press, 6 and a half pounds gain of muscle in 5 weeks on this belief. My leg press protocol relied entirely on progressive overload and heavy resistance, and I didn't use any "set extenders". I actually had a phone consultation with Mike Mentzer shortly before he passed, and he told me that set extenders were not necessary, and were even counter-productive.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »
Someone should ask this Mass Monster ?

Not without a fire suit on :-\

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2010, 01:20:41 PM »
Yeah man, when I said "extending the set" I meant doing breakdowns, negatives, forced reps, etc... I'm still not convinced about the "real value" of set extenders, but I am convinced about using HEAVY RESISTANCE. I base this idea of mine on my experience with the leg press, 6 and a half pounds gain of muscle in 5 weeks on this belief. My leg press protocol relied entirely on progressive overload and heavy resistance, and I didn't use any "set extenders". I actually had a phone consultation with Mike Mentzer shortly before he passed, and he told me that set extenders were not necessary, and were even counter-productive.

You mention a couple of things that Mentzer said. He got the most progress with Rest Pause. "Set extenders" a term I've never heard him use, is counter productive. As I mentioned before, I was a big fan of Mentzer and he and Jones were most influential in my thinking. I've never heard these things. I use to see him regularly in the late 1980s-early 90s at Golds in Venice where I was introduced to him by Don Ross. He live about two miles from where I did in Redondo Beach, CA. It was Mentzer that actually spelled it out to me explaining force reps and then when that can no longer be done to continue with negatives. Of course, intensity variables, as well as weight training in general, can be counter productive if abused. Maybe that is what he meant.

The whole point of even lifting weights is to put the body under an over load. A stress that it is not accustom to with the idea of stimulating an adaptive response. As long as you are doing things that are already easy how will it stimulate that response? Of course, as I mentioned before, unless one goes on a gh15 mutation cycle, you pretty much adapt to any training protocol and progress stops. In fact, progress will stop even under the gh15, or anybody elses, protocol.

I use these intensity variables not because I think I'm going to get bigger muscles. I use them because it forces you to train harder. It is my belief that training hard puts you in better shape and toughens you up. When I do a workout just going to positive failure, doing rep after rep until I can't possibly complete another one, is nothing for me. I don't work up a sweat. I don't breath hard. It's like a vacation for me. In fact, when I'm feeling worn down and need a break I'll take a week where I just go to positive failure. And even then I feel a bit guilty because I don't feel like I'm even working out and start getting that fire going again where I want to torture myself. That's why it's no surprise to me that the vast majority of the people you see in the gym never looked like they have ever picked up a weight in their life. They spend day after day, week after week, year after year, in the gym going through the motions but don't look any different than the average skinny fat slob you see on the street. When I get to the gym I spend a few minutes on the bike to warm up  and watch how people train. Virtually without exception, at least in my gym, no one comes even remotely close to pushing themselves. They terminate a set when they could have gotten at least another 5 or  6 reps.

As Jones said, "Below a certain threshold of intensity exercise will do little or nothing toward increasing strength and functional ability."

GWAR

« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
You said zero protein. Only fat and lead.
im pretty sure you could eat a broom stick and get some protein

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
Someone should ask this Mass Monster ?

@ 60 he looks good....who are you  ::)
K

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
Yeah man, you are right about Mentzer using set extenders during his own training career, but later on he claimed that those techniques should be used very infrequently, coz he believed that they caused too great of an inroad... And yeah, you are right about the great majority of gym goers looking exactly the same day after day, week after week, and year after year. So, yeah man, HARD WORK is the answer for natural trainers, but could it be that there is such a thing as working too hard? And speaking of this I'm gonna do a little self-experimentation with some negative-only training for my bis and the push muscles (chest/delt/tris) so we will see how it goes.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
Forced reps, negatives, rest pause etc should be used on a limited basis a increase in intensity requires more recovery especially for a natural.  Recovery is key hence when the intensity is increased more time should be allowed for growth. Again depends on genetics Woody Allen a pencil neck twink wont recover as fast as say a mesomorphic muscular dude so you got to find what is right for you and apply.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2010, 02:57:04 PM »
Yeah man, you are right about Mentzer using set extenders during his own training career, but later on he claimed that those techniques should be used very infrequently, coz he believed that they caused too great of an inroad... And yeah, you are right about the great majority of gym goers looking exactly the same day after day, week after week, and year after year. So, yeah man, HARD WORK is the answer for natural trainers, but could it be that there is such a thing as working too hard? And speaking of this I'm gonna do a little self-experimentation with some negative-only training for my bis and the push muscles (chest/delt/tris) so we will see how it goes.

I think Mentzer went over board of the body's need for recovery. I mean his consolidation routine called for training, what? once a week and each body part every two weeks?

And, just to be very specific, my point is not that the majority of gym goers look the same year after year though that is certainly the case. I haven't changed much, and have in fact regressed since my late twenties/early thirties. What  I mean is that the majority of gym goers look like they've never worked out a day in their lives.

And of course anything can be taken to the extreme. Anything can be abused. But my experience training in public commercial gyms is that it is hardly an issue or a problem with people training too hard. LOL. Not even close.

I just did a set yesterday of negative only curls on the curling machine. I did it one arm so I could assist with my other arm. My guns are huge -- NOT! Still, it was pretty intense and I had to really push myself and make a concerted effort in controlling a weight that was double what I usually do.

I think we high jacked this thread but good discussion anyway. It sometimes happens on GetBig. So far only just a couple of tools trying to start up shit. So many other threads where you can attack Fat Panda or call me skinny.

GWAR

« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
weI think Mentzer went over board of the body's need for recovery. I mean his consolidation routine called for training, what? once a ek and each body part every two weeks?

And, just to be very specific, my point is not that the majority of gym goers look the same year after year though that is certainly the case. I haven't changed much, and have in fact regressed since my late twenties/early thirties. What  I mean is that the majority of gym goers look like they've never worked out a day in their lives.

And of course anything can be taken to the extreme. Anything can be abused. But my experience training in public commercial gyms is that it is hardly an issue or a problem with people training too hard. LOL. Not even close.

I just did a set yesterday of negative only curls on the curling machine. I did it one arm so I could assist with my other arm. My guns are huge -- NOT! Still, it was pretty intense and I had to really push myself and make a concerted effort in controlling a weight that was double what I usually do.

I think we high jacked this thread but good discussion anyway. It sometimes happens on GetBig. So far only just a couple of tools trying to start up shit. So many other threads where you can attack Fat Panda or call me skinny.

yes , metzer let the drugs do all the work , his training style would never work for some one who is not mega dosing

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
yes , metzer let the drugs do all the work , his training style would never work for some one who is not mega dosing

Couldn't the same be said for Branch or Coleman? They certainly train or trained, as intense as Mentzer did but they did/do a lot more sets.

BTW, when the term "all drugs" is used  I thought it was meant for those that didn't train hard but "let the drugs do the work" like Dillet, Flex and Heath. Guys like Ray, Yates, Warren and Coleman were known to have a good work ethic and didn't just loaf and let the drugs do the work.

GWAR

« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2010, 03:09:28 PM »
Couldn't the same be said for Branch or Coleman? They certainly train or trained, as intense as Mentzer did but they did/do a lot more sets.

BTW, when the term "all drugs" is used  I thought it was meant for those that didn't train hard but "let the drugs do the work" like Dillet, Flex and Heath. Guys like Ray, Yates, Warren and Coleman were known to have a good work ethic and didn't just loaf and let the drugs do the work.
coleman all drugs ? are you serious ? coleman bust his ass old school style 800 pound deads ect , not to mention his superior genetics

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
Not to be a dickhead pellius, but... You keep doing those negative-only curls, and you keep using greater and greater training loads on your negative-only curls, then you WILL have bigger biceps ;D So the key isn't just doing the work, but getting the results (being able to use greater and greater training loads) from that hard work. And yeah, you are right about the majority of trainees looking like they never set foot in the gym.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
Hey Reeves, do you have any experience with negative-only training? And if yes, could you please share your experiences? Thanks man.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
coleman all drugs ? are you serious ? coleman bust his ass old school style 800 pound deads ect , not to mention his superior genetics

I thought the implications was that Mentzer trained too intensely and that only through the use of drugs was he able to make any gains. I think that Coleman put much more demands on his body than Mentzer did because he trained very intensely and did far more sets and trained more often than Mentzer did.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
Not to be a dickhead pellius, but... You keep doing those negative-only curls, and you keep using greater and greater training loads on your negative-only curls, then you WILL have bigger biceps ;D So the key isn't just doing the work, but getting the results (being able to use greater and greater training loads) from that hard work. And yeah, you are right about the majority of trainees looking like they never set foot in the gym.

Here we go again. Back to square one. I tell you what, my friend, trained hard and consistently for five years. Hell, just two years. None of this seven year break because of girls or work -- as if you can't have a girl friend or work while training at the same time. And then come back to me and tell me how you are continuing to make progress.

And I don't know how old you are now but just for fun post a picture of you when you reach 50 we'll see how much your continued progress you have made.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
Not so, as I have witnessed Mike, Ray and Casey training.  It was intense.  Mike admitted to taking steroids, but trained HARD.  I have used his method(s) with varying degrees of satisfaction for over thirty years.  Most of what passes for training today and even in the sixties, seventies and beyond, is in reality nothing more than over training.

But you do have a somewhat valid point regarding drugs in bodybuilding.  Without it, Mentzer would not have been as built as he was.

The same holds true for Arnold, Zane, Viator, et al.  It especially holds true for the current crop of mental eunuchs like Coleman, Cutler and the poster boy for faggotry in fruit, Kai Greene.  Those idiots would be puny without their dope.  They're nothing without it and not worth emulating because they're just turgid bags of liquid shit.  Fuck 'em.
steeve? is that you?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
Ok pellius, you got me motivated man, and I am thinking to do an arm experiment in your honor ;) I will take before and after photos of my arms and post them here, along with the measurements of them. What do you think man, is it a deal? By the way, I'm 36.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2010, 04:31:37 PM »
It's interesting that you say to use them sparingly. Jones said that he got great results practicing negatives 3x a week...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
Allright man, so I will give it a go with my arm experiment ;D I plan on doing 1 set of negative only push-ups and 1 set of negative only concentration curls every 48 hours, and if I don't make progress with every 48 hours I will keep adding more rest days until I do make progress 8)

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2010, 04:50:58 PM »
I one trained my arms twice a day for one week and gained 3/4 of an inch

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Allright man, so I will give it a go with my arm experiment ;D I plan on doing 1 set of negative only push-ups and 1 set of negative only concentration curls every 48 hours, and if I don't make progress with every 48 hours I will keep adding more rest days until I do make progress 8)
;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
Are you serious Master Blaster? And if yes, what were your strength gains like during that 1 week period?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »
I hear ya Reeves, but remember that AJ taught to do the minimum exercise required to get the desired result. So, my plan is to keep the training VERY BRIEF, and see if I can get the desired result. I did this workout yesterday, and I did 4 negative only reps with 35 pounds, so if I can get 4 negative only reps with 70 pounds then my bis should be MUCH bigger.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Are you serious Master Blaster? And if yes, what were your strength gains like during that 1 week period?

I was a practically a kid and my arms were like 11.5 inches   ;D   ;D

I just curled what must have been like maybe a 15 or 20 pound dumbell and did a bunch of elevated close grip push ups off the side of a tub. did this for 2 sets each, for about twenty reps TWICE a day for one week, followed by very intense stretching (had just read about Parillo and muscle fascia stretching) after every set. Lots of protein shakes and vanadyl sulfate  ;D

I think my arms measure about 12 1/4  inches at the end of my experiment.  ::)