Author Topic: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?  (Read 29964 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?
« on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I heard so many times 1-2 grams per pound of LBM, which i follow... but i was wondering is we really need that much..

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »
Another endless discussion... Truth is that there is no "truth"

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:10:30 AM »
There are many factors at play there ma man, for example amount and level of training, natural or enhananced, carb intake, etc.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:18 AM »
no imo this is too much!!..

"just a pilgrim" stated before that he was consuming about 300 gms of protein every day then decreased them to 150 or so and didnt lose any muscles!!..

sure protein is what we need to build muscles but eat it in a good healthy way or you will hate your life!!.. it's not logical to force yourself to eat more and more chickens or beefs thinking you are building your muscles!!.. this right thing must be reasonable and bearable!!..

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:11:40 AM »
I heard so many times 1-2 grams per pound of LBM, which i follow... but i was wondering is we really need that much..

ask this guy.

hes read every study there is on the topic.

and only does he talk the talk, he walks the walk.

b

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »
ask this guy.

Fagpanda looks less horrible than a few months ago, I'll give him that. Monster 45 inch waist and 14 inch arms.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
I've found that anything around 1.5 grams per LBM is good. The more important thing for me is calorie intake and overall number of meals.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:24 AM »
I've found that anything around 1.5 grams per LBM is good. The more important thing for me is calorie intake and overall number of meals.

For what?  To get fat?  No need for all that shit unless you want to look like Kai or Jay and I'm not talking about in a good way.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
I'm under the impression that protein "needs" are vastly over-stated and over-rated. For example, how did my friend who weighed about 275 and could bench press 700 pounds keep his size and strength by only eating 80 grams of protein daily for 2 months straight while "dieting down"? The thing that I obsess about is... Would it be a good plan to "protein load" when one is certain that a growth spurt is taking place?

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:47:10 AM »
ask this guy.

Fatpanda has a touch of the personal trainer syndrome.

He might actually want to apply his numerous theories on training and nutrition to real life before giving advice to others.
Trans Milkshake.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:49:54 AM »
when you are hungry, eat.  don't force feed.  eat till you are full again.  get the required carbs and then any empty space left in your stomach can be filled with protein.  you won't eat too much but don't over emphasize it.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
 These are the protien requirements to be an IFBB pro.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
ask this guy.

and not only does he overtalk the talk, he underwalks the walk.
Fixed!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
I definintely agree that the 1-1.5 grams/pound lbw is bullshit.

I've tried that for years, and was always at a higher bf, even when low carbing and dropping fat.  I've since lowered the protein amount, and haven't lost any size or strength, but have dropped bf.

I'm natural btw. 

My doc told me that the body just cannot use that amount of protein. .. and will be stored as bf.

My opinion is that its all just the supplement market trying to get sales.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
when you are hungry, eat.  don't force feed.  eat till you are full again.  get the required carbs and then any empty space left in your stomach can be filled with protein.  you won't eat too much but don't over emphasize it.

Required carbs?  Carbs aren't required...Protein first as a bodybuilder...The only time carbs are really needed is in the morning and before and after training (and that's for energy purposes)...You don't need carbs to build muscle.  It's just glycogen restoring...Protein first, last and always but you don't need a crazy amount....Remember in the mid to late 90s when everyone was trying ingest 400-500 grams weighing 200 - 250 lbs?  They found out it wasn't needed....

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »
Bingo! Mr. Coltrane

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »
 I just eat a nomral balanced diet. And I add a little extra protien in by drinking a little extra milk or nuts.

If yu are a natural lifter. There's no need to go overboard with protien or anything else in the diet. It'll just make you chubby and unhealthy after a while.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »
The absolute most you need is 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight.
If you get .5 - .75 grams per lb you'll be just fine.
Don't believe the supplement company's bullshit.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
For what?  To get fat?  No need for all that shit unless you want to look like Kai or Jay and I'm not talking about in a good way.

Getting fat isn't a problem for me. I've spent the last 6 1/2 years in the Marine Corps and do cardio no less than 3 days a week. Sometimes as much as 6.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »
Getting fat isn't a problem for me. I've spent the last 6 1/2 years in the Marine Corps and do cardio no less than 3 days a week. Sometimes as much as 6.

Huah!...X-Air Force 10 years for me...Thanks for serving 8)

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 10:39:05 AM »
Depend if you are natural or not and if your trying to gain muscle mass or mantain it.
Natural:1 gram per lb.  could be too much unless you are in severe low carb/calorie diet.
Enhanced:1 gram per lb. might be not enough if you train 5 time a week and run 1gram of test+1gram of anabolics+hgh+insulin and you are trying to max out your muscle growt.
The truth is that the requirement of protein to sustain or gain muscle varies if you are Kay Greene on heavy cycle or a natural bb.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
Depend if you are natural or not and if your trying to gain muscle mass or mantain it.
Natural:1 gram per lb.  could be too much unless you are in severe low carb/calorie diet.
Enhanced:1 gram per lb. might be not enough if you train 5 time a week and run 1gram of test+1gram of anabolics+hgh+insulin and you are trying to max out your muscle growt.
The truth is that the requirement of protein to sustain or gain muscle varies if you are Kay Greene on heavy cycle or a natural bb.

agreed.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 10:54:52 AM »
I definintely agree that the 1-1.5 grams/pound lbw is bullshit.

I've tried that for years, and was always at a higher bf, even when low carbing and dropping fat.  I've since lowered the protein amount, and haven't lost any size or strength, but have dropped bf.

I'm natural btw. 

My doc told me that the body just cannot use that amount of protein. .. and will be stored as bf.

My opinion is that its all just the supplement market trying to get sales.

I kind of experienced the same thing.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
by bodyweight, we actually mean lean pounds right? so if someone is 220 and 15% bf he would need x grams * 187 pounds. right?

(rocket science)  ;D

Heavy_Hitter

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »
Protein itself is not going to make anyone fat, with the high cost of digestion protein carries it's the last macronutrient to ever be stored as body fat. You have to look at the totality of what you are eating thats making the protein to cause you to get fat. Too much protein will cause other macros to be stored as body fat if those macros are taken in excess. It's very easy, eat more protein burn less carbs and fat for energy, burn less carbs and energy = storing more adipose tissues. Learn to time your meals and macros and eat according to what you just did and what you are going to do and you will and you will be surprised at how fat you don't get!

Of course, hormones, training frequency, volume, metabolism, genetics, general lifestyle, all factors in. What works for one person and is true to one person can be completely wrong and false to another person. And at the end of the day they both will argue, however at the end of the day they will both be right!