Author Topic: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?  (Read 29829 times)

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
Re: Protein requirements for a bber - whats the truth?
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:13 AM »
To be safe : for a natural bb. 1gram per lb. is the max for optimal muscle growt, for enhanced bb. 2gram per pound is the max for optimal muscle growt.
You just can not compare the ability of body to synthesize new muscle mass between a olimpya competitor on cycle and an average natural bb. and consequently you can not compare the requirement of protein between the two.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
If this 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is legit, then how can y'all explain THE FACT that this 275 pound beast with a 700 pound bp kept his size and strength at 80 grams daily? FYI, this fellas name is JM Blakely

Heavy_Hitter

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
If this 1 gram per pound of lean body weight is legit, then how can y'all explain THE FACT that this 275 pound beast with a 700 pound bp kept his size and strength at 80 grams daily? FYI, this fellas name is JM Blakely

That fact that less is required to maintain than it is gain, sometimes far less depending on the person. It's called genetics.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »

What's his diet like? It would be hard to eat enough non-protien food to maintain that size and strength.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
Well, at that time we was taking in roughly 2000 cals daily, I'm not sure about the ratio of carbs to fat intake, but I know that he wasn't going over 80 grams of pro daily. He always told me, that as long as one gets in 100 grams daily then they are ok. And as far as needing more protein for growth, what do y'all think about this idea to "protein load" when one is in the midst of a muscle growth spurt? In my humble opinion, muscle growth occurs in spurts, not gradually. And I'm talking about natural training here, coz I don't have any chemical experience.

US MUSL

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
A 275 lb guy benching 700 lbs and eating 2000 calories a day, or each meal.?  ;D  If it was a day, must have been a brief period of time.

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44:10 AM »
I quote myself from another thread:

Let me summarize all the training and nutrition truths I've learnt at Getbig over the past years:

1. supplements, including protein powders worth nothing
2. eating "clean" foods worths nothing
3. eating every 2-3 hours, 6 times a day is unnecessary
4. eating tons of vitamins, minerals is unnecessary
5. "post workout window" is also a bullshit thing
6. cardio is not needed
7. lifting heavy ass weights is not needed
8. cable machnines are not that bad
9. workout programs, training splits are not important
10. drugs are not only the finishing touch

I only have ONE question! Why do I still look like shit when I follow all of them except the last??!!  :D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »
Not so brief, about 2 months straight actually. I think that he may have been some kind of mutant though, since he went for years without really training his legs, and kept some jacked 30 inchers on him ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »
Hey Team, points 6 and 7 are COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT, and no comment on 10, since I'm a natural trainer. Remember this... HARD AND EFFICIENT TRAINING is the answer (speaking for natural trainers of course). The only thing that I can say about "diet" is that JUNK MEALS ARE ESSENTIAL ;D 8)

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »
That absolute most you need is 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight.
If you get .5 - .75 grams per lb you'll be just fine.
Don't believe the supplement company's bullshit.

I agree...

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 12:29:35 PM »
Well, from a macro nutrient perspective foods primary purpose is to provide energy, which might explain why 2 of the 3 macro nutrients can only be used of energy.

I guess we don't know for sure how protein we really need but if push comes to shove protein/amino acids can be converted to glucose -- energy. Carbohydrates/glucose and fats cannot be converted into amino acids.

Besides, I like protein foods. Carnivore. All the way carnivore.

I don't think I'll be taking Basile's recommendation of consuming 20-50 grams of protein a day.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
Force feeding protein is useless, mostly propaganda which is driven by supplement companies trying to make cash. You can get all the the protein you need through foods although the drinks are a easy and fast way to ingest protein it's your choice.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »
I'm curious pellius, you are certainly lean and in good shape, but have you really changed much in recent years (lost fat, gained size and/or strength)? I'm not hating man, I'm just curious. Speaking from my own perspective I got a "little bit lost" so to speak, and in the meantime have become greatly deconditioned. Going from a peak of 167 sub-8 to about 180 20-22%, I fucking finally "remembered" what I did I the past to achieve a decent look, and I'm working on applying those principles now. Anyways, I'm excited about what I'm gonna achieve so that keeps the motivation high and focused "part of the process" of seeing visible results. But, for me at least, maintaining isn't nearly as fun and cool as changing and gaining

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »
I'm curious pellius, you are certainly lean and in good shape, but have you really changed much in recent years (lost fat, gained size and/or strength)? I'm not hating man, I'm just curious. Speaking from my own perspective I got a "little bit lost" so to speak, and in the meantime have become greatly deconditioned. Going from a peak of 167 sub-8 to about 180 20-22%, I fucking finally "remembered" what I did I the past to achieve a decent look, and I'm working on applying those principles now. Anyways, I'm excited about what I'm gonna achieve so that keeps the motivation high and focused "part of the process" of seeing visible results. But, for me at least, maintaining isn't nearly as fun and cool as changing and gaining

True. My weight has pretty much been the same for about the last 20-25 years. But I really stop serious body building in my mid twenties. Having said that I have been training consistently, and consistently hard and serious, for the last 38 years. The only breaks I would take is due to injuries or illness. Sometimes, I'd take a week off a few times a year if I'm feeling worn out. But usually I'd just lower the intensity and still train.

I wanted to reply to your comment on the other thread where you made such great gains using progressive over load. You put x inches on your quads in x amount of time. That's great but whenever I hear this, it was after a lay off. When you made these gains how long were you consistently training before and how long did you keep making gains? Why did you stop? As they all seem to do. Sure you can get bigger quads by squatting more weight but for how long will this continue?

Train consistently for at least two years straight and then come back and tell me how your progression is going. And also show me what kind of shape you are in. Mentzer use to brag about how much weight his clients put on but to me that's meaningless. A lot, if not the majority, of Americans put on a little bit of weight every year without ever touching a weigh. They just keep getting fatter. Much like the clients of Mentzer that I've seen.

And yes, making steady and continuous gains in terms of increasing muscle mass is much more fun, satisfying and cool as maintaining. Too bad nobody can or have ever done so after a certain number of years of consistent training.

Fatpanda

• Getbig V
  • One getbigger to rule them all.
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2010, 01:24:25 PM »
studies say 1g per pound of lean body mass.

that's my official word on the matter.

this thread can now be closed.
175lbs by 31st July

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
Well, as far as the legs go, I gained 6 and a half lean pounds and 2 inches on my quads over a 5 week period training them once every 6 days. I only did the leg press doing 3 work sets per workout. My leg press strength increased from 3 plates per side to 5 plates per side over those 5 weeks. Before I was training legs once every 4 days, so I think the switch from every 4 days to every 6 days made a big difference. As far as Mentzer goes, you have a good point, and me thinks that it would have been much better if he also was able to give body comp changes with the weight gain changes as well. For example, I went from 160 @ 12.4% to 165 @ 11.2% during that 5 week "leg press experiment"

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 01:32:15 PM »

LOL.... ;D Oh brother, you're a glutton for punishment.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
LOL.... ;D Oh brother, you're a glutton for punishment.

He's a "glutton" alright....

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Well, as far as the legs go, I gained 6 and a half lean pounds and 2 inches on my quads over a 5 week period training them once every 6 days. I only did the leg press doing 3 work sets per workout. My leg press strength increased from 3 plates per side to 5 plates per side over those 5 weeks. Before I was training legs once every 4 days, so I think the switch from every 4 days to every 6 days made a big difference. As far as Mentzer goes, you have a good point, and me thinks that it would have been much better if he also was able to give body comp changes with the weight gain changes as well. For example, I went from 160 @ 12.4% to 165 @ 11.2% during that 5 week "leg press experiment"

What happened after the fifth week? And how big did your quads actually get?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 01:41:58 PM »
Good question man. Well, actually they didn't get any bigger after that 5th week, coz I stopped progressively overloading them ;D You see, I was competing in bench press competitions and I didn't want to add any more "un-necessary weight" in places that wouldn't help my bp ;)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
Apparently Jason Ferrugia did studies with lots of his clients and came to the conclusion that .6 g/lb is enough.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
Apparently Jason Ferrugia did studies with lots of his clients and came to the conclusion that .6 g/lb is enough.
Lean body weight or overall?  Natural or juiced?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
Horseshit has a lot of protein in it.

Read through this thread a couple of times to get a taste.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »

I know I'm "feeding the troll" at this point but I don't care

anyway, you do realize that you (Fatpanda) are a fat guy who is giving out nutrition advice, right?

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
friend,,i keep telling you over and over that hgh dictate EVERYTHING in bodybuilding,,all my posting abotu hgh should be a pre requiite before even reading the bible,,it should stand by its own as the abolit 10 comendements of the bodybuilder,,

no hgh = no need for all this calorie,,get it in your head once and for all

YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYTHINNG OUT OF THE EXTRA CALORIE YOU EAT UNLESS GH IS IN BLOOD,,

YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYTHING OUT OF THE ANADROL YOU TAKE BESIDE BLOOFY FAT DIGUSTING SLUGINESH UNLESSS THIS ANADROL INTAKE FOLLOWED CLOSELY BY GH INTAKE THAT GOES HAND IN HAND,,

people here and on many other board think oh we take anadrol and dbo few tablet and become monster,,yes you sure will become monster,,youll be come monster of BLOOFINESS,, you will have skin down under your tummy and midsection that youll be able to pinch and feel  the disgusting water and fat under and wont see any visible anything btu one (big) bulk of mess,,UNLESS YOU ARE ON GROWTH HORMONE,,AND ENOUGH GROWTH HORMONE ,,

ye at 22 you may see omthign out of them but thats ONLY BECAUSE YOUR NATURAL GH IS AT PEAK ,,try it at over 28 and you will see how from good body you become disgusting body in a matter of weeks,,

NO GH = NO BODYBUILDDER

NO GH = NO BODYBUILDER

NO GH = NO BODYBUILDER

NO GH = NO BODYBUILDER

WE ARE ADDICTED TO GH ,,WE CHAE IT LIKE GOLD IN A MINE ,,A FELLA LIKE LIAR PRIEST I SWIMMMMMMMMMMMMING IN GH ABOVE HIS 5'4 HEAD,,

THE LIES TO YOU ARE SO BIG AND I HOPE YOU CAN FIGURE IT OUT SINCE I TRY MY BEST TO HELP YOU FIGURING IT OUT ,,

gh15 approved
fallen angel