Author Topic: Successful wrestling angles you remember from growing up  (Read 10611 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Successful wrestling angles you remember from growing up
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:13 AM »
I think Sullivan would make a good addition to the Fed's HOF.
Absolutely. I wonder if they'll ever induct Shane Douglas?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 05:19:14 AM »
Absolutely. I wonder if they'll ever induct Shane Douglas?

I think Shane might just be one or two spaces above Bruno & Hellwig on the invite list.

Douglas deserves recognition for his work in ECW.
It'd be nice if the Fed did a DVD on him.
Maybe after 11 more HBK anthologies we'll see one.

I should add some more footage to his thread on this board.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 07:34:41 AM »

I think Shane might just be one or two spaces above Bruno & Hellwig on the invite list.

Douglas deserves recognition for his work in ECW.
It'd be nice if the Fed did a DVD on him.
Maybe after 11 more HBK anthologies we'll see one.

I should add some more footage to his thread on this board.

Ha ha ha ha ha!  :D

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 05:10:07 PM »
Road Warrior Hawk falling off the Titan Tron.  Hogan losing the belt to Andre on FNME, when the Hebner twins played the refs.  The LWO (Latino World Order)- still laugh thinking about that one!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 05:17:32 AM »
Road Warrior Hawk falling off the Titan Tron.  Hogan losing the belt to Andre on FNME, when the Hebner twins played the refs.  The LWO (Latino World Order)- still laugh thinking about that one!
The Hebner twins screwing over Hogan was one amazing angle that no one ever expected. I enjoyed that! Good call!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 12:42:05 PM »
WrestleMania VII - Career-ending match: Ultimate Warrior vs. "Macho King" Randy Savage.

Savage hits FIVE elbows drops from the top; Warrior kicks out. Warrior hits gorilla press and splash; Savage kicks out.

In the end, Savage almost decapitates himself on the security barrier, after jumping off the top turnbuckle.

Warrior hits three shoulder blocks and pins Savage. "Sensational Queen" Sherri screams at Savage after the match and starts kicking him and slamming his head into the mat. And who comes to the rescue...MISS ELISABETH.

Savage, who had no idea Liz was there (storyline), almost hits her, thinking it's Queen Sherri. He's SHOCKED to see Elisabeth. The ref explains that it was Sherri that was whacking him.

Liz starts tearing up and eventually runs to Savage, who hugs her. People start crying....mushiness at its best.

;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
WrestleMania VII - Career-ending match: Ultimate Warrior vs. "Macho King" Randy Savage.

Savage hits FIVE elbows drops from the top; Warrior kicks out. Warrior hits gorilla press and splash; Savage kicks out.

In the end, Savage almost decapitates himself on the security barrier, after jumping off the top turnbuckle.

Warrior hits three shoulder blocks and pins Savage. "Sensational Queen" Sherri screams at Savage after the match and starts kicking him and slamming his head into the mat. And who comes to the rescue...MISS ELISABETH.

Savage, who had no idea Liz was there (storyline), almost hits her, thinking it's Queen Sherri. He's SHOCKED to see Elisabeth. The ref explains that it was Sherri that was whacking him.

Liz starts tearing up and eventually runs to Savage, who hugs her. People start crying....mushiness at its best.

;D
This pissed me off bigtime.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »
The Black Scorpion attacking Sting.

In the long run it was the 4 Horsemen (and actually Ric Flair), but that was one that got me.

Hogan slamming Andre was also big time.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
This pissed me off bigtime.

I still can't recall any other match where someone hits his finisher FIVE times, only to have his opponent kick out.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
I still can't recall any other match where someone hits his finisher FIVE times, only to have his opponent kick out.
It used to bother me when Hogan would kick out of his opponents finishers too. But 5 flying elbows? Man did that get on my nerves. Otherwise it was a good match. Savage made Warrior look like GOLD.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 01:13:44 PM »

That's because most "stars" don't need that much push to get over.
Most of the ones who deserve it accomplish a great deal more (often most) on their own.

And, where did it go?

After putting over Hellwig, Savage went on to work a program with Flair, capturing the big belt at WM IX.
Warrior did a run-in during the Hogan/Sid match, and I believe that was the last Mania he would ever appear at again.
Savage's job was for nothing; he put UW over for NOTHING!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Most of the ones who deserve it accomplish a great deal more (often most) on their own.

And, where did it go?

After putting over Hellwig, Savage went on to work a program with Flair, capturing the big belt at WM IX.
Warrior did a run-in during the Hogan/Sid match, and I believe that was the last Mania he would ever appear at again.
He had a match, if you want to call it that, vs HHH at Wrestlemania 12.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »

And, where did it go?

Actually, Savage beat Flair at WM VIII. But, your point is well-made.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
It used to bother me when Hogan would kick out of his opponents finishers too. But 5 flying elbows? Man did that get on my nerves. Otherwise it was a good match. Savage made Warrior look like GOLD.

As Hogan put it,

"Randy Savage is a detail freak. And Randy Savage made sure....or at least, the old Randy Savage that I knew during the heyday....that everything was impeccable. He stragetically mapped out every situation in the ring. So, the Warrior was in really good hands with Randy. That may have been one of his best storylines and feuds with Randy, because Randy made it easy on everybody." - from the "Self-Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior" DVD.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Actually, Savage beat Flair at WM VIII. But, your point is well-made.

Ha!
You're right; I skipped a year.
I knew it was the following Mania, which coincided with the point I was making.
Don't know why I typed 9.

Fukking Romans...using letters instead of numbers.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »
He had a match, if you want to call it that, vs HHH at Wrestlemania 12.

Wow...I forgot all about that.
What's that tell you?

I remember - now - Hunter talking about that match on one of his DVD's.
I think that was the interview in which HHH said, "Warrior couldn't even lace up a pair of boots."
Funny enough, Hellwig often wore those cowboy-style slip-ons that had the pointed toes and...NO LACES!
Maybe there's some truth to the above statement.

;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
The whole Bret-Owen feud was very well done. Owen turning on Bret, tired of living in his shadow. One of my favorite moments of that feud was when Bret won the title at WM X, and all the faces came out to celebrate. Owen came out, stopped, and mouthed, "what about me?"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:51 AM »
The whole Bret-Owen feud was very well done. Owen turning on Bret, tired of living in his shadow. One of my favorite moments of that feud was when Bret won the title at WM X, and all the faces came out to celebrate. Owen came out, stopped, and mouthed, "what about me?"

I enjoyed that fued and thought it was really well done also. It really helped Owen's career take off. Their SS cage match was just epic.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 08:12:03 AM »

Because it was a complete wack job from Vince.  Two elbows should have been enough, but having Savage deliver five of them and Warrior kick out was an insult.

Warrior has always had a "superhero" vision of himself where he didn't like to sell for his oppenent.  Back when he first entered the UWF as Rock when he teamed up with Sting as the Bladerunners he was known as someone that would never sell for his opponents.  Until they had a match against Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams and Dibiase decided that if he wouldn't sell for them willingly he would make him sell any way.  And started walloping him with punches for real until he got the idea he better play along before Dibiase landed one that knocked him out cold.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
Because it was a complete wack job from Vince.  Two elbows should have been enough, but having Savage deliver five of them and Warrior kick out was an insult.

Warrior has always had a "superhero" vision of himself where he didn't like to sell for his oppenent.  Back when he first entered the UWF as Rock when he teamed up with Sting as the Bladerunners he was known as someone that would never sell for his opponents.  Until they had a match against Ted Dibiase and Steve Williams and Dibiase decided that if he wouldn't sell for them willingly he would make him sell any way.  And started walloping him with punches for real until he got the idea he better play along before Dibiase landed one that knocked him out cold.

haha, great story....and if UW wanted to start anything, I'm sure Williams and Dibiase would have been glad to finish it.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »
UW was a big pushover from everything I have heard.  Suffered from massive insecurities and entitlement issues.  (Bad combination)
Eddie Gilbert once called him the biggest headache he ever had to work with.

There was another story going around (not sure if true) of all the guys in WCCW sitting around in a bar drinking one night after a house show and Warrior comes in and start running down the Freebirds about their drinking and how the alcohol was slowly killing them on the inside.  Buddy Roberts stood up with the bottle in his hand and said this bottle might be killing us slowly but it will kill you a lot faster if I hit you over the head with it.  Warrior scooted out of the room and went to complain about threats being made to him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:38 AM »

Wow...I forgot all about that.
What's that tell you?

I remember - now - Hunter talking about that match on one of his DVD's.
I think that was the interview in which HHH said, "Warrior couldn't even lace up a pair of boots."
Funny enough, Hellwig often wore those cowboy-style slip-ons that had the pointed toes and...NO LACES!
Maybe there's some truth to the above statement.

;D
Lol...his exact words were "Warrior was the biggest dickwad I ever worked with." Funny how no one has anything positive to say about Hellwig. Shows you what a dickhead he really is.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
UW was a big pushover from everything I have heard.  Suffered from massive insecurities and entitlement issues.  (Bad combination)
Eddie Gilbert once called him the biggest headache he ever had to work with.

There was another story going around (not sure if true) of all the guys in WCCW sitting around in a bar drinking one night after a house show and Warrior comes in and start running down the Freebirds about their drinking and how the alcohol was slowly killing them on the inside.  Buddy Roberts stood up with the bottle in his hand and said this bottle might be killing us slowly but it will kill you a lot faster if I hit you over the head with it.  Warrior scooted out of the room and went to complain about threats being made to him.

haha, The Freebirds were certainly not a group that somebody should lecture about alcohol.....not to mention, I'm sure they could hold their own in barfight....you don't wrestler the level of heel in Texas for that long and not get into some scuffles with local....guaranteed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »
haha, The Freebirds were certainly not a group that somebody should lecture about alcohol.....not to mention, I'm sure they could hold their own in barfight....you don't wrestler the level of heel in Texas for that long and not get into some scuffles with local....guaranteed.
The Freebirds always travelled in three's and were known to be ass kickers.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »
The Freebirds always travelled in three's and were known to be ass kickers.

I'm sure they had to during that era.  Can you imagine strutting into a honkytonk in Dallas after just going over The Von Erich's in a six-man by cracking Kerry with a chair?  you know there were plenty of good ole boys wanting to settle the score.