Author Topic: Most memorable no-sell/oversell  (Read 7921 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Most memorable no-sell/oversell
« on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »
Most memorable no-sell for me:  When Tony Atlas was introduced as "Saba Simba," Roddy Piper said, "Oh, come on, that's Tony Atlas!"

Most memorable oversell:  When "The Midnight Rider" came onto the scene in NWA and started terrorizing Tully Blanchard...even five year old children who rode short buses to school new it was really Dusty Rhodes...Jim Ross excitedly hollered, "The Midnight Rider looks familiar, but I just can't place him!!"  Oh, brother...
~

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Most memorable no-sell/oversell
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »
Rhodes...
 ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
Hey, I never saw the angle, but answer me this: did the "Midnite Rider" deliver a series of elbows draped in mounds of flabby, pale flesh?

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:10:54 AM »
Oversell: Shawn Michaels vs. Hulk Hogan.  When it was decided Hogan wasn't going to put Shawn over, Shawn flopped like a fish every time Hulk touched him.

Gotta agree with Andy on the Saba Simba no-sell by Piper.  Vince's response?  "Maybe he's trying to get in touch with his roots."  Classic.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:52 AM »
Funniest oversell I ever saw was Giant Gonzolas taking right hands from the Undertaker and over staggering around at WM9...he looked like an overgrown drunk bastard.

Best no-sell for me was at WM8 when Sid kicked out of Hogan's leg drop and just stood up and stared him down. 

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
haha Andy that Midnight Rider angle was too funny.....  sad part was that Rhodes used the same gimmick in Florida when he lost to Sullivan.

The Jimmy Valiant coming back as "Charlie Brown" was pretty bad.  the mask only covered half his face, so that Valiants distinct beard was on display...haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 06:38:05 AM »
Atlas was lucky to have had good genetics and/or a good response to gas because he wasn't the brightest light on the tree.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
Atlas was lucky to have had good genetics and/or a good response to gas because he wasn't the brightest light on the tree.

And i think his being such a likeable, good-natured guy went a long way.  Guys looked out for him from what I hear.....and even promoters did to an extent.  And the last time i saw a pic of him, he still looked awesome.....

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

A little off-topic- but here's a Saba Simba match for those interested.  Couldn't find the clip where Piper no-sells his name, but it's funny to hear Sean Mooney and Lord Alfred Hayes burying both guys in this match.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
4:40 mark, that scoop by Atlas was impressive as the timing was off a bit.

Who is this Bradley guy?  He looked pretty damn good to me, but I've never heard of him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:09:48 AM »
Ha....Saba Simba.....yet another slap in the face to a wrestler by McMahon who left WWE (then) and went to NWA and then back to WWE.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
I think Piper has a bit of resentment towards Atlas.
According to Hot Rod, the day that VKM, Barnett, and Vince Sr. called a meeting with all the wrestlers in which they unveiled the WWF’s expansion plans, Tony was the weak link on the wrestlers‘ side.

Apparently, Dave Schultz got a little smart and mouthy with Vince Jr, who opened the meeting’s proceedings.
All the other wrestlers joined and unified kind of like a mob, which really knocked the three suits down a few pegs.

By this time, Vince Jr. had acquired most of the top talent from many of the other territories, and the majority of the industry’s biggest names sat in that room, glaring at Vince & co.
Piper said that, for the first time ever, it seemed like the wrestlers had finally gained a hand over the promoters…

…until Tony Atlas raised his hand like a little schoolboy and said, “Excuse me, Mr. McMahon: I see Arnie (Skalland) to get me an advance at the beginning of the week, and when I get my pay at the end of the week, it ain’t that big.”

The room went silent, and supposedly, Don Muracco turned to Atlas and whispered, “You stupid asshole!”

“Jr.” siezed the opportunity and very condescendingly replied with something like, “Well, you see, Tony - if you have three of something and take one away, that leaves you with two.”

Piper said at that moment, all the momentum was lost and Vince was once again in complete control of his “stupid” wrestlers.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 09:44:14 AM »
what about undertaker's survivor series debut in 1990.

he hits the tombstone (not named yet) and Gorilla goes "he just hit him with the tombstone!"

Piper goes "what is it?"

Gorilla (panicking): "I think its a tombstone.."

hahahhahahaa
Flower Boy Ran Away

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 06:24:08 PM »
I remember one time Mankind hit Owen Hart with I think, a bag of popcorn, and Owen sold it like he got shot with an ak47..
When Steamboat came back as the "Dragon", and they acted like he was some schmoe off the streets.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
You guys are way too into this, I can't hardly remember any of this stuff. :P
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
You guys are way too into this, I can't hardly remember any of this stuff. :P

I remember 98% of everything their talkin' about. waiting for wrestler #1 and wrestler #2, with the $6 million dollar knee, matches to be posted. And what about "wild fire" Tommy Rich? I remember tony atlas when he was skinny! he went away for a few years and came back as Mr. USA Tony Atlas. What about magnum TA? short reign at the top but that was due to his car wreck.
sept 10th APF

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
Good no-sell:

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
Most memorable no-sell for me:  When Tony Atlas was introduced as "Saba Simba," Roddy Piper said, "Oh, come on, that's Tony Atlas!"

Most memorable oversell:  When "The Midnight Rider" came onto the scene in NWA and started terrorizing Tully Blanchard...even five year old children who rode short buses to school new it was really Dusty Rhodes...Jim Ross excitedly hollered, "The Midnight Rider looks familiar, but I just can't place him!!"  Oh, brother...

Wasn't the Midnight Rider in the Bob Caudill/David Crockett era?

The American Dream Dusty Rhodes is not the Midnight Rider.  However, I will say this: There is a little Midnight Rider in all of us.  There is even a little Midnight Rider in you, David Crockett.

Classic!

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 06:36:56 PM »
haha Andy that Midnight Rider angle was too funny.....  sad part was that Rhodes used the same gimmick in Florida when he lost to Sullivan.

The Jimmy Valiant coming back as "Charlie Brown" was pretty bad.  the mask only covered half his face, so that Valiants distinct beard was on display...haha

Miss Atlanta Lively said it was not him.