Author Topic: Foam Rollers  (Read 7203 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Foam Rollers
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
Hey guys ive had shoulder problems for a while now and a friend of mine suggested myofascial release. I googled it and found that you can do this somewhat on your own with a foam roller. I can definitely see how this could hit some of the areas that are tender in my rear delt and my lats right by my arm pit. I was just wonder if you guys had any experience with this or had heard of this helping?

thanks

tony

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Foam Rollers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:54:38 AM »
Hey guys ive had shoulder problems for a while now and a friend of mine suggested myofascial release. I googled it and found that you can do this somewhat on your own with a foam roller. I can definitely see how this could hit some of the areas that are tender in my rear delt and my lats right by my arm pit. I was just wonder if you guys had any experience with this or had heard of this helping?

thanks

tony

i've used one for a few years now for my back and quads....never did anything with delts sorry.  I sold them for quite a while and always had nothing but good feedback on them. We started selling them when a bunch of the Carolina Hurricanes players wanted them. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
i've used one for a few years now for my back and quads....never did anything with delts sorry.  I sold them for quite a while and always had nothing but good feedback on them. We started selling them when a bunch of the Carolina Hurricanes players wanted them. 
kewl thanks show i went and bought one for 14 bucks from wally world

it does hit the lats real good and the upper part teres minor/major cant remember which is where i get real tight and actually hurts pretty good...its hard for me to hit the front and rear delts but I heard you can use a medicine ball for that and i think ill try my basketball  ;D

It also feels pretty good on my back it even cracked it pretty good, hopefully if i use this consistently for a couple weeks i will notice a difference.

if nothing else it does feel pretty good

this one hurts pretty good though, but thats really where i get tight

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
when doing that lat one in the video, I get kinda like a nerve shooting down the middle of my shoulder iono if thats a good sign or bad one but its definitely doing something

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
The STICK is also good, albeit a lot pricier.  I got mine at a trade show back when they first came out and didn't pay nearly that much.

Glad the foam roller you got is working for you although it will probably break down relatively soon.  You may want to invest in a slightly better quality next time (something that can hold up to a Getbigger).  ;D

:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 12:18:21 AM »
The STICK is also good, albeit a lot pricier.  I got mine at a trade show back when they first came out and didn't pay nearly that much.

Glad the foam roller you got is working for you although it will probably break down relatively soon.  You may want to invest in a slightly better quality next time (something that can hold up to a Getbigger).  ;D

yea i wanted to get a better one that was longer the only one they had was 18 inches long which seems to work but it kinda runs away from you sometimes...

whats the stick do?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
nvm i found a youtube video of it, looks good but i think it would be hard to hit my shoulder area and back maybe?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
nvm i found a youtube video of it, looks good but i think it would be hard to hit my shoulder area and back maybe?

Alone? yes, unless you're a contortionist  :D
A long one might work.
:

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
i have a midget for this...

bench

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
A very nice ebook:

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf
awesome thanks burn

the roller still seems to work but i think i may have moved passed what i can achieve with the density of it. When I first used it I swear it was horrible and painful now i dont even really notice any pain. This gave some recommendations on using different things to help with that so thanks

you ever use it?

any experience with results?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »
awesome thanks burn

the roller still seems to work but i think i may have moved passed what i can achieve with the density of it. When I first used it I swear it was horrible and painful now i dont even really notice any pain. This gave some recommendations on using different things to help with that so thanks

you ever use it?

any experience with results?

I try and foam roll frequently. Been doing it regularly for a few weeks on my calves in particular. Heavy squats have them in knots. At first the rolling was absolute agony and the thing isn't even that dense. Much more tolerable now and my calves at least feel a bit looser. Still hurts though, until it's not sore I'm going to stick at it and then get a denser roller. I have been told I basically need to live on a foam roller now as I get so tied up.

I really like it for my back too. Gets a shitload of cracks out and seems to even up an old injury I have in my lumbosacral area. Besides that I just experiment until I find something sore, then I roll it. lol

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
I try and foam roll frequently. Been doing it regularly for a few weeks on my calves in particular. Heavy squats have them in knots. At first the rolling was absolute agony and the thing isn't even that dense. Much more tolerable now and my calves at least feel a bit looser. Still hurts though, until it's not sore I'm going to stick at it and then get a denser roller. I have been told I basically need to live on a foam roller now as I get so tied up.

I really like it for my back too. Gets a shitload of cracks out and seems to even up an old injury I have in my lumbosacral area. Besides that I just experiment until I find something sore, then I roll it. lol
where do you find a denser roller?

hahahah yea thats what i thought when i first bought it too, i can use this to crack my back and I do the same thing

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
where do you find a denser roller?

hahahah yea thats what i thought when i first bought it too, i can use this to crack my back and I do the same thing

I haven't needed a denser roller yet since I'm sore on a pretty low density one anyways. In theory I'm going to progress to rolling on a thick PVC pipe so if you're feeling brave you could always try and pick something like that up! As regards an actual higher density cylinder specifically designed for foam rolling I guess ebay is a decent bet? Don't know of any particular websites myself. Sorry I can't be of more help!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
I haven't needed a denser roller yet since I'm sore on a pretty low density one anyways. In theory I'm going to progress to rolling on a thick PVC pipe so if you're feeling brave you could always try and pick something like that up! As regards an actual higher density cylinder specifically designed for foam rolling I guess ebay is a decent bet? Don't know of any particular websites myself. Sorry I can't be of more help!
ahhh dude thats fuking brilliant, I found one but it was 30 bucks or so and seeing as I progressed passed the one i have now in like 2 weeks i dont feel like spending money but the PVC pipe is great I could get a smaller diameter one too...

I think ill place a towel or something over it and try to progress to just the pipe

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
ahhh dude thats fuking brilliant, I found one but it was 30 bucks or so and seeing as I progressed passed the one i have now in like 2 weeks i dont feel like spending money but the PVC pipe is great I could get a smaller diameter one too...

I think ill place a towel or something over it and try to progress to just the pipe

PVC is an option - people use it all the time and then wrap some foam around it, like the stuff for insulating pipes.

Otherwise, you can order them from Perform Better, Power Systems or SPRI  

The blue one, which is coated or something holds up better than the plain white styrofoam.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_5183_A_CategoryID_E_235

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2972-premium-eva-foam-roller.aspx
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

PVC is an option - people use it all the time and then wrap some foam around it, like the stuff for insulating pipes.

Otherwise, you can order them from Perform Better, Power Systems or SPRI  

The blue one, which is coated or something holds up better than the plain white styrofoam.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_5183_A_CategoryID_E_235

http://www.power-systems.com/p-2972-premium-eva-foam-roller.aspx
thanks L i went out and snagged a 4 inch by 2 foot piece of pvc for 7 bucks and it works great it does slide a little more but it really does hit the back of my shoulder and lat area pretty good...

any of you guys have any experience with tennis balls or field hockey balls?

ive heard using a medicine ball works pretty good but again i dont want to go buy one just for that reason...

all in all this therapy seems to be doing alot for my shoulders, ive started doing my chest, front delt and bicep as i was told by a friend that those being tight could cause shoulder pain as well.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
thanks L i went out and snagged a 4 inch by 2 foot piece of pvc for 7 bucks and it works great it does slide a little more but it really does hit the back of my shoulder and lat area pretty good...

any of you guys have any experience with tennis balls or field hockey balls?

ive heard using a medicine ball works pretty good but again i dont want to go buy one just for that reason...

all in all this therapy seems to be doing alot for my shoulders, ive started doing my chest, front delt and bicep as i was told by a friend that those being tight could cause shoulder pain as well.

Big balls are good for the glutes  ;D  not so much for the back.  Tennis balls, golf balls, racquet balls can work for some areas, even the feet (plantar facitis), but often sink too far into a cushy carpet to be effective.

No crap from the peanut gallery
;)
:

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »

Big balls are good for the glutes   ;D  not so much for the back.  Tennis balls, golf balls, racquet balls can work for some areas, even the feet (plantar facitis), but often sink too far into a cushy carpet to be effective.

No crap from the peanut gallery
;)
;D

i used a golf ball against the wall but it didnt seem to work that well...I think if i laid on it i would cry like a little girl, maybe a tennis ball first

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »

thanks

tony

Foam rollers work very well...cheap and very effective.