Author Topic: Perception of success  (Read 1764 times)

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Perception of success
« on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:25 AM »
As we all know , Peter Gallagher's line in "American Beauty" was "In order to be succesfull, one must project the image of sucess".
Also, the black Ghostbuster in the movie "The substitute" stated "Power perceived is power achieved".

Now, as i'm watching cnbc this morning, all these Aryan bastards on tv are well put together, with suits,etc.

Also, it reminds me of an article i read on a boardroom meeting.  This was around 2005 maybe, in GQ.  The article stated since these fund managers couldn't drive their cars into meetings, they'd buy bling to out-alpha the other dudes in the room.  200k watches, $10,000 ties, etc (kind of the business card scene in American Psycho).

Is personal appearance that important to make it?  All things being equal, me going in for a $1M loan, will i get the loan if i wear a $500 shirt and tie over the guy who's wearing his Old Navy shirt?

How importance is appearance in perception of power?
Deep Tissue Massage

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Re: Perception of success
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:01:48 AM »
Thats why I spend half my budget on clothes, so people don't know I'm just a loser stoner

Parker would deem you "player on a budget", which is not exactly what i'm talking about here.
Deep Tissue Massage

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
As we all know , Peter Gallagher's line in "American Beauty" was "In order to be succesfull, one must project the image of sucess".
Also, the black Ghostbuster in the movie "The substitute" stated "Power perceived is power achieved".

Now, as i'm watching cnbc this morning, all these Aryan bastards on tv are well put together, with suits,etc.

Also, it reminds me of an article i read on a boardroom meeting.  This was around 2005 maybe, in GQ.  The article stated since these fund managers couldn't drive their cars into meetings, they'd buy bling to out-alpha the other dudes in the room.  200k watches, $10,000 ties, etc (kind of the business card scene in American Psycho).

Is personal appearance that important to make it?  All things being equal, me going in for a $1M loan, will i get the loan if i wear a $500 shirt and tie over the guy who's wearing his Old Navy shir

How importance is appearance in perception of power?
let's put it this way, you'd get the loan before me if you were wearing Old Navy and some slippers, and I came in wearing the same or in Thug Gear...

My parents have always told me to dress like I had some sense and I could afford what I was asking for, be it a loan or a lux apt.

Although, it has worked. I remember one time I was dressed in a suit, and I was at the local BMW dealership, not one person came over to me for 5 minutes---I had to get their attention. All I wanted to tell them was that over the weekend somebody left about 10 cars unlocked, and another person (wasn't me) was opening the doors, so check the cameras...

Sometimes the look can give you or that other person the edge...who would you give the loan to, a Mike O'hearn lookalike in a three piece suit or a Chris Farley lookalike in something from the Big and Tall and drunk Collection, complete with unbuttoned suit with tie to the side?

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:09:53 AM »
let's put it this way, you'd get the loan before me if you were wearing Old Navy and some slippers, and I came in wearing the same or in Thug Gear...

My parents have always told me to dress like I had some sense and I could afford what I was asking for, be it a loan or a lux apt.

Although, it has worked. I remember one time I was dressed in a suit, and I was at the local BMW dealership, not one person came over to me for 5 minutes---I had to get their attention. All I wanted to tell them was that over the weekend somebody left about 10 cars unlocked, and another person (wasn't me) was opening the doors, so check the cameras...

Sometimes the look can give you or that other person the edge...who would you give the loan to, a Mike O'hearn lookalike in a three piece suit or a Chris Farley lookalike in something from the Big and Tall and drunk Collection, complete with unbuttoned suit with tie to the side?

who would you "respect" / find more intimidating?

jay cutler in his jordan shorts and sleeveless shirt and hat to the side?
or some average guy in a *insert 10k suit brand* here?

i'm not talking about affliction vs tapout shirts at the club here, i'm talking real life where bedazzled clothes don't fly.
Deep Tissue Massage

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 06:21:48 AM »
who would you "respect" / find more intimidating?

jay cutler in his jordan shorts and sleeveless shirt and hat to the side?
or some average guy in a *insert 10k suit brand* here?

i'm not talking about affliction vs tapout shirts at the club here, i'm talking real life where bedazzled clothes don't fly.
Well, the dude in the 10k could call and have Jay "disappear"...
But, it depends on the setting, Jay in a back alley or bar, would cause alarm...a dude in suit, in a back alley prolly would be a East Euro or Russian gangsta (assuming white), so tough call...

Where I used to work, a guy would come in t shirts and do research, come to find out he owned a Porsche 917...that is a multimillion dollar car...and yes, he really owned it, but he dressed like a bum, because he has no need to dress to the 9s

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 06:24:55 AM »
Well, the dude in the 10k could call and have Jay "disappear"...
But, it depends on the setting, Jay in a back alley or bar, would cause alarm...a dude in suit, in a back alley prolly would be a East Euro or Russian gangsta (assuming white), so tough call...

Where I used to work, a guy would come in t shirts and do research, come to find out he owned a Porsche 917...that is a multimillion dollar car...and yes, he really owned it, but he dressed like a bum, because he has no need to dress to the 9s

of course there's the extremes.  i think we've all seen mr. facebook, he looks like a skinny fat jew in a $5 shirt, but we all know better.

Deep Tissue Massage

caseyviator

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
most car dealerships leave the cars unlocked  much cheaper than broken windows....we have people come in to where i work and tell us all the time that the cars are unocked.....too funny peple are so damm scared and parinoid now days.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
I put on a $30 shirt and make it look like a million bucks.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »
The old saying fake it til you make it is very true. In my interpretation it means look and play the part until you actually get it. Whether that is being a savvy businessman...or what have you. Then, it doesn't matter.

It depends on the profession too. This orthopedic surgeon with his own practice who comes into my cigar lounge (probably makes a few mil a year minimum) he wears dockers pants and plain shirts. He drives a mid 90s Honda Accord.  He obviously does not show his wealth.

On the other hand this Italian Chase Bank manger who comes in in his BMW 7 series, always in a nice suit with Rolex, bracelet and big ring ....opposite end of the spectrum.

Every black guy that comes in who has some middle management position, always dressed to the max.

This multi billion dollar commercial real estate developer who comes in ...seriously in jeans with holes (not the trendy jeans) and hooded sweat shirts with paint stains. Only way you know he has money is by his Jaguar sitting outside. This guy spends around $4,000 in cigars alone a month.

I don't think there's a solid way to stereotype this sort of thing. It all depends on the individual's peers I think?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
I can see...............I can walk !!  lol  ;D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 11:53:56 AM »
most car dealerships leave the cars unlocked  much cheaper than broken windows....we have people come in to where i work and tell us all the time that the cars are unocked.....too funny peple are so damm scared and parinoid now days.
I don't know, this is a BMW dealership..someone could eff up the leather, steal the radios...they left the 6 series unlucked, but the M5, M6 locked, it was random cars...some locked some not...Porsche dealership, cars are locked
The old saying fake it til you make it is very true. In my interpretation it means look and play the part until you actually get it. Whether that is being a savvy businessman...or what have you. Then, it doesn't matter.

It depends on the profession too. This orthopedic surgeon with his own practice who comes into my cigar lounge (probably makes a few mil a year minimum) he wears dockers pants and plain shirts. He drives a mid 90s Honda Accord.  He obviously does not show his wealth.

On the other hand this Italian Chase Bank manger who comes in in his BMW 7 series, always in a nice suit with Rolex, bracelet and big ring ....opposite end of the spectrum.

Every black guy that comes in who has some middle management position, always dressed to the max.

This multi billion dollar commercial real estate developer who comes in ...seriously in jeans with holes (not the trendy jeans) and hooded sweat shirts with paint stains. Only way you know he has money is by his Jaguar sitting outside. This guy spends around $4,000 in cigars alone a month.

I don't think there's a solid way to stereotype this sort of thing. It all depends on the individual's peers I think?
Quite true, one time I was late for a doctor's appointment...and I rushed over, I told the doc I was going ____ mph. He said, "You must have a certain car to go ____mph?" I said, yeah, but never said what it was, because I had the impression that he doesn't care about those things (but I think he has a banging wife). There is another doctor that had a brand new Mercedes SL...It depends on where some people are in life, their age, and sometimes ethnicity

Doctor in a cigar lounge...funny how many doctors are unhealthy and are on the same meds as their patients....

One time, I was getting tires on my car, and this was when I  had a hooptie, and a farmer in the lobby told me to keep it, because when he had his Mercedes S Class everybody wants to park next to it. When he has his truck (the one he was getting tires for), nobody wanted to park next to it, because it was beat the hell up and was three different colors. About a few months later I went to a farm to get some strawberries  and sure enough it was his farm with the Mercedes there.   

magicuser

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »
worked once for this wingnut