Author Topic: Being disabled an working out  (Read 3452 times)

aussiejosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Being disabled an working out
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:54 AM »
Hey guys I use to post back here years ago hopefully its become more helpfull an less flaming in that time lol. I was born with scoliosis an spinafibida acult it was never really an issue for me growing up besides a limp I walked with, I was always naturaly good at all sports and worked out. however in the last 4 years ive progressed to the point where im in a chair for any long distance I may be having to travel, I can't walk on a tredmill or run for cardio so now you got my life story here is my question. Is there anyone here who has a diability  or know about training people with them?, I swim for cardio(which is not great for weight loss but good for joints) also i have a hand cycle an a boxing bag I need to loose 6kgs to help with back pain. Ive been back at the gym for three months now and definatly starting to fill out again so any tips with cardio and diet would be awsome.
SHUT UP AND LIFT BITCH

DSM18

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Re: Being disabled an working out
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
use the monkeybars.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:38:24 AM »
Man, swimming really is awesome, you should give it another try.  Treat it like cardio though, most people don't do that.  Constant motion for 30m.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
Hey guys I use to post back here years ago hopefully its become more helpfull an less flaming in that time lol. I was born with scoliosis an spinafibida acult it was never really an issue for me growing up besides a limp I walked with, I was always naturaly good at all sports and worked out. however in the last 4 years ive progressed to the point where im in a chair for any long distance I may be having to travel, I can't walk on a tredmill or run for cardio so now you got my life story here is my question. Is there anyone here who has a diability  or know about training people with them?, I swim for cardio(which is not great for weight loss but good for joints) also i have a hand cycle an a boxing bag I need to loose 6kgs to help with back pain. Ive been back at the gym for three months now and definatly starting to fill out again so any tips with cardio and diet would be awsome.
do  gymnastic bodyweight exercises pushups dips chins if your able if not use the machines to accomplish the same moves. lat pulldowns for chins bench press machines for pushups etc.
F

aussiejosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:51 AM »
Cheers guys, Yeah I have been doing the swimming training a bit diffrently lately, swim flat out as fast as you can for as long as you can then swim one lap at medium pace. Ive lost 6kg so far, another 6kg and I'll be at my optimum weight again.
SHUT UP AND LIFT BITCH

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:29 AM »
Hi aussijosh!

There is a guy that has posted here by the name of wheelie and I think he may be in a chair (not sure though).. you may want to PM him.

Also I put wheelchair bodybuilding in my search engine and lots of stuff came up..could be some good resources maybe?

Not sure if you have checked out this site:

http://www.dansmith-uk.com/
R

aussiejosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:05:19 AM »
Hey man thanks alot thats really cool of you!
SHUT UP AND LIFT BITCH

aussiejosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:16:09 AM »
Holy shit Dan Smith aka Joe swanson
SHUT UP AND LIFT BITCH

Victorian guy

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
Being disabled shouldn't stop a person from training hard and achieving their bodybuilding dreams. Case in point- a true tale of inspiration and determination-

The most INSPIRATIONAL bbder of all!!!

Brothers,

The following is a true story.

We all have people who have inspired us. For most here, that inspirational person may be a pro bodybuilder, a powerlifter, or someone who exemplifies all that is worthy. Well, brothers, let me tell you about the person who inspires me- he's a lad with cerebral palsy named Rupert, and he's confined to a wheelchair! While physically he isn't much to speak of, he has the heart and determination of a LION!!!

I was at the gym giving Rupert yet another free personal training session. You see, bros, I do this out of the goodness of my heart- I've got a soft spot for the marginalized in society, and, BY GOD, I do whatever I can for them!

I was coaching Rupert through some basic bodybuilding movements, though his spastic condition made it difficult for him to perform them right. An idea suddenly occured to me- why shouldn't Rupert use a running machine? The running machine, or treadmill, I was thinking of, was a German made Thiessen TX 230 Olympic trainer- it has a treadmill that is twice as long as the standard, and can reach speeds approaching that of an Olympic sprinter! It has a reverse mode function, and I decided that Rupert could sit on the belt in his wheelchair, and while the belt went in reverse Rupert could turn the wheels on his chair to counter the momentum- what a workout that would be!

We tried it at very low speeds, and Rupert was just able to keep up! "Bravo, Rupert!" I cried. His features contorting, and the lenses of his thick glasses steaming up, Rupert gave it his all!
My chauffeur, training partner, and former maximum security prison inmate Nobby was overcome with joy at Rupert's success- and, screaming "Bloody FOOKING well DONE, lad!" brought his massive fist down on the control panel, in a gesture of uncontrolled emotion! Suddenly, something went TERRIBLY wrong with the TX 230, and it went into forward mode, at top speed! Rupert and his wheelchair were shot forward like a bullet, flipped over the front of the running machine, and went flying through the air into the weight-lifting area! His wheelchair broadsided an old lady, knocking her feeble form unconscious, and Rupert went flying into the large, triple-shelved dumbell rack. The dumbell rack teetered, tottered, and fell over with a thunderous crash, as dumbells of all weights came crashing down, burying Rupert!

We called an ambulance and dug him out of the dumbells. Luckily, the tough young man was still alive- but he began having a grand mal seizure!

Well, he was only in a coma for a week. The tough little lad- you've got to admire his fighting spirit. When I don't feel like going to the gym, I think of Rupert....and, brothers, what an inspiration he is! Sorry...I'm getting emotional...*wipes away a tear*...till next time, brothers!!
Victorian guy- descendant of William the Conqueror, graduate of Eton, and a true gentleman and scholar.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »

My cousin is disabled. He had a stroke when he was 18 and uses a wheelchair for mobility. He is now 29. The left side of his body is like normal and he can still stand up and exercise. He has some limitations on the right side of his body. He just can't walk. This makes cardio really hard for him. He does a lot of squats with no weights at a fast pace. This is great cardio for him. It gets his heart rate up to the point where he feels like he is running. He does 30 reps X 6 times a day.

As for his diet when he is trying to cut weight, he eats very low carb (only vegetables) protein (chicken, turkey and beef) and fats (fish oils and flaxseed oils). When he is trying to gain mass, he has the same diet, but he adds in oats, quinoa and fruit.

For his workouts he does:

Biceps and Back: Monday & Thursday
Chest, Triceps and Shoulders: Tuesday & Friday
Legs: Wednesday

His rests days are Saturday and Sunday. This routine has worked for him very well.