Author Topic: The Giffords assassination attempt  (Read 1062 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The Giffords assassination attempt
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
by Steve Singiser
Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 02:20:05 PM PST
In the avalanche of false-equivalence analytical pieces littering the public conversation since Saturday's tragic assault, it is easy to miss one important point.

Those pieces have fallen all over themselves (sometimes abhorrently in error) to make the case that "Democrats do it, too!"

But no one I know of is claiming that there has never been a Democrat since the age of Andrew Jackson to make a war or violence metaphor in politics. That's not the point. The point is that one side does it with exceeding frequency, to the point that it almost seems to be a staple of their political rhetoric. That the other side does it, even if it is just once in a while, is somewhat irrelevant to the larger point.

To illustrate the distinction, note a telling omission from one of the most widely read pieces in the post-Giffords aftermath, yesterday's work by a triumvirate of authors from Politico.

The segment of the larger piece getting the most attention is this one:

A senior Republican senator, speaking anonymously in order to freely discuss the tragedy, told POLITICO that the Giffords shooting should be taken as a “cautionary tale” by Republicans.

“There is a need for some reflection here - what is too far now?” said the senator. “What was too far when Oklahoma City happened is accepted now. There’s been a desensitizing. These town halls and cable TV and talk radio, everybody’s trying to outdo each other.”

The vast majority of tea party activists, this senator said, ought not be impugned.

“They’re talking about things most mainstream Americans are talking about, like spending and debt,” the Republican said, before adding that politicians of all stripes need to emphasize in the coming days that “tone matters.”

“And the Republican Party in particular needs to reinforce that,” the senator said.

Much has been made of that comment. But few have focused on what I would argue is the most telling aspect of that commentary.

Why did the "senior Republican senator" in question feel the need to remain anonymous?

The stated reason (to speak freely about the event) seems a bit silly. Pretty much every elected official in America is on the record with comments about the events.

There would seem to be only two reasons for the Senator in question to wish to leave his/her name out of it. Either the Senator was afraid of political retribution from colleagues for calling out his/her own party on the matter of tone and rhetoric. Or the Senator was afraid of retribution from the political base of the GOP.

Either reason, it would seem, is awfully telling.

A party that doesn't have a problem with the issue would not put one of its own leaders in a position of demanding anonymity to make what is, at the end of the day, an extraordinarily mild rebuke of the party's own rhetoric

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: The Giffords assassination attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
Oh look, another Daily Kos article trying to paint the hate-mongering Democrats as the victims. Daily Kos is one of the worst perpetrators when it comes to spouting violent rhetoric. Nice of you to conveniently leave out the Daily Kos link, though.

Fuck off, gimmick.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
the senator was talking to politico hardly left leaning, you are a dumbass  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
the senator was talking to politico hardly left leaning, you are a dumbass  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This article is sitting right on the front page of Daily Kos. But an "anonymous Republican senator" supposedly said "this" and "that". Don't care. Doubt it was even said.

Daily Kos is a hate-mongering site and this article is a good example of them trying to exploit the murder of a 9-year-old child for political gain. It makes me sick.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
A guy who wishes to "remain anonymous" says something to validate my story so ..............in reality I made up the quote because I'm full of shit.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:23:36 PM »
by Steve Singiser
Mon Jan 10, 2011 at 02:20:05 PM PST
In the avalanche of false-equivalence analytical pieces littering the public conversation since Saturday's tragic assault, it is easy to miss one important point.

Those pieces have fallen all over themselves (sometimes abhorrently in error) to make the case that "Democrats do it, too!"

But no one I know of is claiming that there has never been a Democrat since the age of Andrew Jackson to make a war or violence metaphor in politics. That's not the point. The point is that one side does it with exceeding frequency, to the point that it almost seems to be a staple of their political rhetoric. That the other side does it, even if it is just once in a while, is somewhat irrelevant to the larger point.

To illustrate the distinction, note a telling omission from one of the most widely read pieces in the post-Giffords aftermath, yesterday's work by a triumvirate of authors from Politico.

The segment of the larger piece getting the most attention is this one:

A senior Republican senator, speaking anonymously in order to freely discuss the tragedy, told POLITICO that the Giffords shooting should be taken as a “cautionary tale” by Republicans.
“There is a need for some reflection here - what is too far now?” said the senator. “What was too far when Oklahoma City happened is accepted now. There’s been a desensitizing. These town halls and cable TV and talk radio, everybody’s trying to outdo each other.”

The vast majority of tea party activists, this senator said, ought not be impugned.

“They’re talking about things most mainstream Americans are talking about, like spending and debt,” the Republican said, before adding that politicians of all stripes need to emphasize in the coming days that “tone matters.”

“And the Republican Party in particular needs to reinforce that,” the senator said.

Much has been made of that comment. But few have focused on what I would argue is the most telling aspect of that commentary.

Why did the "senior Republican senator" in question feel the need to remain anonymous?

The stated reason (to speak freely about the event) seems a bit silly. Pretty much every elected official in America is on the record with comments about the events.

There would seem to be only two reasons for the Senator in question to wish to leave his/her name out of it. Either the Senator was afraid of political retribution from colleagues for calling out his/her own party on the matter of tone and rhetoric. Or the Senator was afraid of retribution from the political base of the GOP.

Either reason, it would seem, is awfully telling.

A party that doesn't have a problem with the issue would not put one of its own leaders in a position of demanding anonymity to make what is, at the end of the day, an extraordinarily mild rebuke of the party's own rhetoric

here i made it easy reading for you

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
A guy who wishes to "remain anonymous" says something to validate my story so ..............in reality I made up the quote because I'm full of shit.

Exactly. But let's not sell ourselves short here. Daily Kos is a respectable site. That's why they've deleted all traces of a map targeting Republicans that was almost identical to Palin's and are now denying that it ever existed.  ;)

Hate-mongers just like the rest of them.

here i made it easy reading for you

Reading comprehension. Learn it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
You Lefties have a long track record in making shit up in supposedly respectable publications.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:31:14 PM »

Politico

Violence and politics merge
1675 CommentsRSSEmailPrint
The Capitol flag flies at half-staff Sunday in honor of the legislative staffer slain in Tucson. | AP Photo
CloseBy JONATHAN MARTIN & BEN SMITH & ALEXANDER BURNS | 1/9/11 1:28 AM EST
A few days, or at the very least, a few hours – in an earlier era, people would have taken a breath before plunging into a remorseless debate about the political implications of an obscene act of violence.

Not in this era.

Continue Reading Text Size
-+reset Listen VIDEO: Post-shooting politics
Sheriff on Ariz.: 'mecca' for bigotry
Latest on POLITICO
Loughner photo released
Another year of 'drill baby, drill'?
Surgeon: No change for Giffords
Brewer sets aside fiery rhetoric
Accused gunman appears in court
DeLay sentenced to 3 years in prison
POLITICO 44
Within minutes after a gunman’s shots—bullets that killed a federal judge, a nine-year-old girl and four others, and left a congresswoman clinging to life—activists of all stripes were busy, first on Twitter and blogs, then on cable television, chewing on two questions that once would have been indelicate to raise before the blood was dry:

Who in American politics deserves a slice of blame for the Tucson murders? And what public officials find themselves with sudden opportunities for political gain from a tragedy?

By day’s end, the argument that the political right—fueled by anti-government, and anti-immigrant passions that run especially strong in Arizona—is culpable for the Tucson massacre, even if by indirect association, seemed to be validated by the top local law enforcement official investigating the shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D).

“When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government—the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous,” said Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, an elected Democrat, at a news conference Saturday evening. “And unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry.”

Some Republicans responded with indignation—why should the alleged act of an apparently deranged young man with a record of barely coherent, and only vaguely ideological rantings get charged to their account?

Others acknowledged what they called an unavoidable reality—flamboyant or incendiary anti-government rhetoric of the sort used by many conservative politicians, commentators and tea party activists for the time being will carry a stigma.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47294.html#ixzz1Ag6TsHso

HERE YOU GO DUMBASS

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
I still see no connection between what this guy did and so called hateful rhetoric.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »
Lets split hairs on where this came from.....instead lets look at what it says....I'll paraphrase..."While its ok for us Lefty nutbags to wish hell on Bush, blame him and cheney for eveything..paint hitler stashes on his picture...how dare you conservatives call out the President, exercise free speech or disagree with his agenda". "We're smarter and know better then you do so shut up, don't believe me..here's a SENOR REPUBLICAN SENATOR WHO WANTS TO REMAIN NAMELESS who agree's with me". Sure thing douchbags....
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »
NOT SPLITING HAIRS,i said it came from politico you guys said it didn't. i was right and you were wrong  ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Oh yeah......you idiot 2nd amendment people can't have high capacity magazines either. We're gonna ban those as well.

How come we can't ban muslims, after all they hit the WTC and one shot alot of people at FT Hood.  Luckily I'm over flowing with high capacity mags and enough ammo to hold off the ZOG forever. We all know the ATF is only capable of shooting dogs and women.   ::)

Hey Blacken.,.....I never commented on where it came from...never. See making shit up.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
You Lefties have a long track record in making shit up in supposedly respectable publications.

well not directly, berzerkfury did

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 03:51:36 PM »
Blacken - can you show me how alleged hateful politifal rhetoric had anything to do with this whatsoever? 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »
you would have to ask the repub who said it ,if you can find out who he is

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
-m asking you your opinion.  Knowing what we know now about this lunatic, how at all can political rhetoric be connected to this act? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
He can't..but he's in great company...for him anyway. Krugman/Olbermann/CNN/that idiot cop/etc etc couldn't either.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »
why don't you post some more blogs as credible news  ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
why don't you post some more blogs as credible news  ;D

You're posting shit from Daily Kos and acting like it's credible. LOL.

Lets split hairs on where this came from.....instead lets look at what it says....I'll paraphrase..."While its ok for us Lefty nutbags to wish hell on Bush, blame him and cheney for eveything..paint hitler stashes on his picture...how dare you conservatives call out the President, exercise free speech or disagree with his agenda". "We're smarter and know better then you do so shut up, don't believe me..here's a SENOR REPUBLICAN SENATOR WHO WANTS TO REMAIN NAMELESS who agree's with me". Sure thing douchbags....

This about sums it up.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
i don't think you can with the information right now, but to say that the shit that goes around in politics on both sides won't influence a crazy nutjob is not being honest with ourselves

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
i don't think you can with the information right now, but to say that the shit that goes around in politics on both sides won't influence a crazy nutjob is not being honest with ourselves

Good point. Except you keep posting articles that say the only shit going around in politics is coming from the Repubs. Practice what you preach.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
i do that for you because your so far right your about to fall off the edge ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 04:18:52 PM »
i do that for you because your so far right your about to fall off the edge ;D

Good joke. I guess anyone who doesn't fall in line with the Obama agenda like a robot is "so far on the right they're about to fall off the edge". More far-left fear-mongering.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 04:20:44 PM »
You're posting shit from Daily Kos and acting like it's credible. LOL.

This about sums it up.

holyshit whats your name Trig, THE STORY CAME FROM POLITICO ;D