Author Topic: Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists  (Read 9079 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
What say you all to this?

Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists

UN should co-ordinate plans for dealing with extraterrestrials – and we can't guarantee that aliens will be friendly

An alien from Mars Attacks! Evolution on alien worlds is likely to be Darwinian, which may mean extraterrestrials share our tendencies for violence and exploitation. Photograph: Rex

World governments should prepare a co-ordinated action plan in case Earth is contacted by aliens, according to scientists.

Scientists argue that a branch of the UN must be given responsibility for "supra-Earth affairs" and formulate a plan for how to deal with extraterrestrials, should they appear.

The comments are part of an extraterrestrial-themed edition of the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A published today. In it, scientists examine all aspects of the search for extraterrestrial life, from astronomy and biology to the political and religious fallout that would result from alien contact.

"Will a suitable process based on expert advice from proper and responsible scientists arise at all, or will interests of power and opportunism more probably set the scene?" asked Professor John Zarnecki of the Open University and Dr Martin Dominik of the University of St Andrews in the introductory paper. "A lack of co-ordination can be avoided by creating an overarching framework in a truly global effort governed by an international politically legitimated body." The pair argue that the UN has a ready-made mechanism for such a forum in its Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (Copuos).

Member states of Copuos should put "supra-Earth affairs" on their agenda, say the scientists, and establish structures similar to those proposed for dealing with threats from near-Earth objects, such as asteroids, that might be on a collision course with our planet.

According to Simon Conway Morris, a professor of evolutionary palaeobiology at Cambridge University, anyone planning for alien contact should prepare for the worst.

Evolution on alien worlds, he said, is likely to be Darwinian in nature. Morris argues that life anywhere else in the universe will therefore probably have important similarities with life on Earth – especially if it comes from Earth-like worlds that have similar biological molecules to ours. That means ET might resemble us, warts and all, with our tendencies towards violence and exploitation.

"Why should we 'prepare for the worst'? First, if intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far from glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," wrote Morris in the journal's special issue.

Ted Peters, a professor of systematic theology at the Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in California, considered what might happen to the world's religions in the event of ET making contact. Conventional wisdom suggests that terrestrial religion would collapse if the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI) were confirmed, he wrote.

"Because our religious traditions formulated their key beliefs within an ancient world view now out of date, would shocking new knowledge dislodge our pre-modern dogmas? Are religious believers Earth-centric, so that contact with ET would de-centre and marginalise our sense of self-importance? Do our traditional religions rank us human beings on top of life's hierarchy, so if we meet ETI who are smarter than us will we lose our superior rank? If we are created in God's image, as the biblical traditions teach, will we have to share that divine image with our new neighbours?"

His conclusion, however, is that faith in Earth's major religions would survive intact. "Theologians will not find themselves out of a job. In fact, theologians might relish the new challenges to reformulate classical religious commitments in light of the new and wider vision of God's creation."

"Traditional theologians must then become astrotheologians ... What I forecast is this: contact with extraterrestrial intelligence will expand the existing religious vision that all of creation – including the 13.7bn-year history of the universe replete with all of God's creatures – is the gift of a loving and gracious God," he speculated.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jan/10/earth-close-encounter-aliens-extraterrestrials
C

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
I agree it's better to be prepared than to assume that aliens would be friendly.  But it's hard to imagine that an alien race would find it logistically possible to invade another planet.  But then again, their science mi be so far ahead of ours.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
I will shoot any aliens on sight, just like Sarah Palin instructed me to.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:51:48 PM »
"Why should we 'prepare for the worst'? First, if intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far from glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," wrote Morris in the journal's special issue.

Utter nonsense. An alien race could have evolved that is liquid or gas. There is no reason to expect them to 'look just like us'... jeez

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
The only good bug is a dead bug

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
Any civilization that can make it here is extremely advanced.

But are they advanced enough to wage a campaign of war ( supplies, equipment, weapons, etc) to take over an entire planet across thousands of light years?   

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
But are they advanced enough to wage a campaign of war ( supplies, equipment, weapons, etc) to take over an entire planet across thousands of light years?   

Many alien civilizations have developed the ability to teleport inanimate matter.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Many alien civilizations have developed the ability to teleport inanimate matter.
Have they?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:22:32 AM »
Have they?
I think even we have proven a sort of teleportation.  If aliens have the technology to get here from 100's of light years or whatever, they probably have some means to get here quickly and bring whatever they want.  If it takes them a very long time to get here from great distances, I doubt they're here.

http://news.discovery.com/tech/teleportation-quantum-mechanics.html

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »
I think even we have proven a sort of teleportation.  If aliens have the technology to get here from 100's of light years or whatever, they probably have some means to get here quickly and bring whatever they want.  If it takes them a very long time to get here from great distances, I doubt they're here.

You are thinking in terms of human lifetimes.  Many "alien" life-forms live for several thousand years which is a huge advantage not just  in terms of "long" jounreys being not so long, but also in terms of accumulating knowledge.  Think about da Vinci, Newton and Einstein all sitting at the kitchen table together discussing.  ALso, while none have developed the ability to travel faster than light, there are other peculiarities to the universe that make it possible to move from one spot to another in relatively a short amount of time.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:42:31 AM »
You are thinking in terms of human lifetimes.  Many "alien" life-forms live for several thousand years which is a huge advantage not just  in terms of "long" jounreys being not so long, but also in terms of accumulating knowledge.  Think about da Vinci, Newton and Einstein all sitting at the kitchen table together discussing.  ALso, while none have developed the ability to travel faster than light, there are other peculiarities to the universe that make it possible to move from one spot to another in relatively a short amount of time.
I wasn't even thinking about that but my guess is still that if they're here, they didn't spend long periods of time getting here.  They probably have some means of getting here faster than we think is possible.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
We already have. 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
Any civilization that can make it here is extremely advanced.

I never thought of the Mexicans in that light, but since they have "arrived" in america in the millions they must be, as your point makes, extremely advanced.

Now if they can get into america so easily...what resistance will a craft traveling at WARP 99 (way beyond light speed and using worm holes) with intergalactic weapons (makes Star Wars and Star Trek weaponry pale in comparison) and intellect millions of years more advanced in the making than earthlings... What resistance could earth offer?
C

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
I never thought of the Mexicans in that light, but since they have "arrived" in america in the millions they must be, as your point makes, extremely advanced.

Now if they can get into america so easily...what resistance will a craft traveling at WARP 99 (way beyond light speed and using worm holes) with intergalactic weapons (makes Star Wars and Star Trek weaponry pale in comparison) and intellect millions of years more advanced in the making than earthlings... What resistance could earth offer?

We have the power of love, doofus. Love conquers all.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

Seems like a safe bet that they would have veery advanced technology that could teleport stuff, or maybe not.  Maybe they have advanced propulsion systems that can get them here in space ships but not advanced enough teleporatation technology that can teleport stuff thousands of light years away to any place in the galaxy. 

Also, wouldn,t they have to have a recieving mechanism here?   and how much could they teleport at once?

My whole discussion  point is, is that the amount of alien man power and materials it Would take to take over a planet with 6 billion people would be nearly incalculable and practically impossible to pull off.

But who knows.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »
We have the power of love, doofus. Love conquers all.

I'll take that to mean you have no defenses at all.... Advanced Space Weapons conquers all...
C

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
Seems like a safe bet that they would have veery advanced technology that could teleport stuff, or maybe not.  Maybe they have advanced propulsion systems that can get them here in space ships but not advanced enough teleporatation technology that can teleport stuff thousands of light years away to any place in the galaxy. 

Also, wouldn,t they have to have a recieving mechanism here?   and how much could they teleport at once?

My whole discussion  point is, is that the amount of alien man power and materials it Would take to take over a planet with 6 billion people would be nearly incalculable and practically impossible to pull off.

But who knows.
Oh, I don't have a clue about all that.  Just mainly saying that if they're here, they probably didn't take a long ass time getting here and probably have some way we don't understand to travel faster than we know is possible.  But also if they're here and could or wanted to destroy us, I think they probably would have already.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »
Oh, I don't have a clue about all that.  Just mainly saying that if they're here, they probably didn't take a long ass time getting here and probably have some way we don't understand to travel faster than we know is possible.  But also if they're here and could or wanted to destroy us, I think they probably would have already.

Yeah,  even with existing earth technology, on second thought, it would be pretty easy.  Emp's followed by a airborne Ebola virus. 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
Couldn't they be right in front of us living in another dimension?

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
Couldn't they be right in front of us living in another dimension?

A possibility for sure...
C