Author Topic: Tom Brady turns in third straight playoff disappointment  (Read 2016 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Tom Brady turns in third straight playoff disappointment
« on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
For a player with a reputation for being great in the clutch, Tom Brady sure has gone a long time without a good playoff game.

The New England Patriots’ stunning 28-21 loss to the New York Jets today makes Brady 0-3 in his last three games as a playoff starter. He hasn’t been on the winning side in the postseason in three years, and he hasn’t played well in defeat in any of the three losses since then.

The Patriots’ last three playoff losses — today against the Jets, last year against the Ravens and the Super Bowl against the Giants — haven’t been entirely Brady’s fault, by any stretch of the imagination. But they’ve certainly been partially Brady’s fault.

In those three playoff games, Brady has completed 81 of 135 passes for 719 yards, with five touchdowns and four interceptions. Terrible numbers? No. But don’t you want a future Hall of Famer, all-time great player to do better than 240 yards a game, with almost as many picks as touchdowns, in three straight losses?

And for all the talk that Brady is at his best when the chips are down, Brady turned in an ugly fourth quarter on Sunday against the Jets. Brady’s clock management was terrible: When the Patriots got the ball down 21-11 with 13 minutes to play, that should have been the time for Brady to show off his mastery of the hurry-up offense. Instead, Brady took his sweet old time, and the Patriots’ offense took almost eight minutes off the clock on a drive that ended on a fourth-down incomplete pass from Brady to Deion Branch.

Brady’s career is often measured against that of Peyton Manning: Part of the fun of being a sports fan is arguing about who the best is, and we want to state definitively which one of them is the best quarterback of his generation. Those who side with Manning cite his superior statistics, while those who pick Brady point out his better postseason record.

But if you think Brady is the best quarterback of this era because of what he’s done in the playoffs, then you have to grapple with the fact that what he’s done in the playoffs hasn’t been all that good lately.

No one can ever take away Tom Brady’s three Super Bowl rings, the regular-season MVP award he received following the 2007 season or the second MVP award he’ll surely receive in three weeks. But make no mistake: The Patriots’ three-game postseason losing streak means that Brady’s clutch reputation has been tarnished.

aussiejosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Tom Brady turns in third straight playoff disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:00:10 AM »
This doesn't sound like someone stating the facts sound more like someone with an already formed opinion of Bradey looking for a time to jump on him.
SHUT UP AND LIFT BITCH

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
And for all the talk that Brady is at his best when the chips are down, Brady turned in an ugly fourth quarter on Sunday against the Jets. Brady’s clock management was terrible: When the Patriots got the ball down 21-11 with 13 minutes to play, that should have been the time for Brady to show off his mastery of the hurry-up offense. Instead, Brady took his sweet old time, and the Patriots’ offense took almost eight minutes off the clock on a drive that ended on a fourth-down incomplete pass from Brady to Deion Branch.

Not sure if the author watched the same game i did.

The jets secondary were playing out of their minds last night. The recievers could barely get off the line. The jets were playing 2 deep zone, so the pats took what the jets gave them.

The outcome of the game showed how much of an over-achiever the pats were this year. Not soley based on the pats performance last night, but also for the fact that, leading up to this game, no one expected them to lose. How they made it to 14-2 with that defense is one for the ages. But they have a year under their belt, a medley of draft picks and money to spend. They'll be back next year.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »
Just gonna say that if people thought that Tom Brady was better than Joe Montana................t hink again.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
Just gonna say that if people thought that Tom Brady was better than Joe Montana................t hink again.

boom

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »
brady became a nancy-boy after he hurt his knee and league put in the brady rule don;t hit the QB below the knee then don't even think of touching his helmet.
F

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
speaking of hits to the knee, big ben took a shot to the knee from suggs right before the fumble that led to the surprise ravens td

where was the call?  i thought shots on qb's knees were penalites

E
E

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »

Montana has 1 more ring.

Individually, its hard to argue which is more talented.

As far as supporting cast and the era in which they both played, i think montana got the better bargain.

I think we can agree without debate montana had a better cast around him. Their scheme, hof players, their legendary coach who invented their scheme.

They both played in seperate era's. I think this is where montana benefited more from playing in the non free agency era. It was simply easier to learn his teamates tendencies and develop continuity over a number of years versus doing all this in the confines of a single season.

I dont think montana is head and shoulders better than brady. But i feel that brady has a chance to surpass montana in the ranks.

Did anyone see nfl network's top 100? I think they had brady in the mid twenty's. Brady still has a lot of game left i him.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
speaking of hits to the knee, big ben took a shot to the knee from suggs right before the fumble that led to the surprise ravens td

E
only if qb last name is brady or manning is it a penalty.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »

E

That was a nasty shot.....I think the only thing that saved his knee, imo, was it was more straight on than from the side.  Looked really bad.  Ben is one tough dude.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
For a player with a reputation for being great in the clutch, Tom Brady sure has gone a long time without a good playoff game.

The New England Patriots’ stunning 28-21 loss to the New York Jets today makes Brady 0-3 in his last three games as a playoff starter. He hasn’t been on the winning side in the postseason in three years, and he hasn’t played well in defeat in any of the three losses since then.

The Patriots’ last three playoff losses — today against the Jets, last year against the Ravens and the Super Bowl against the Giants — haven’t been entirely Brady’s fault, by any stretch of the imagination. But they’ve certainly been partially Brady’s fault.

In those three playoff games, Brady has completed 81 of 135 passes for 719 yards, with five touchdowns and four interceptions. Terrible numbers? No. But don’t you want a future Hall of Famer, all-time great player to do better than 240 yards a game, with almost as many picks as touchdowns, in three straight losses?

Brady’s career is often measured against that of Peyton Manning: Part of the fun of being a sports fan is arguing about who the best is, and we want to state definitively which one of them is the best quarterback of his generation. Those who side with Manning cite his superior statistics, while those who pick Brady point out his better postseason record.

But if you think Brady is the best quarterback of this era because of what he’s done in the playoffs, then you have to grapple with the fact that what he’s done in the playoffs hasn’t been all that good lately.

No one can ever take away Tom Brady’s three Super Bowl rings, the regular-season MVP award he received following the 2007 season or the second MVP award he’ll surely receive in three weeks. But make no mistake: The Patriots’ three-game postseason losing streak means that Brady’s clutch reputation has been tarnished.
I hope this was a copy and paste...if not MELTDOWN  :D

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »
Tom Brady is a once in a lifetime player. Anyone who says otherwise is high, imo. The guy had a bad game, he's going to win the MVP for crying out loud. The Jets just played better, period.

Btw, this loss was not all on Brady, and the 2007 superbowl should not be included in this article, because it was Brady's go-ahead td in the fourth q that put them in the position to win. The defense lost that game, and a catch was made by a random jag player that you will never see again. That's why the article uses overall numbers, and ignores 2007's series of events that caused the loss, because it sure as shit was not Tom Brady's fault that year. This article makes me chuckle,  because those numbers are still better than what we've seen from Manning over the same time period, yet the writer ignores this fact.

I'll take Brady all day and twice on Sundays, because next year the Pats will be right back in it and he'll be better than 99% of the NFL'S qb's, again.

body88

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »

Knee-jerk reaction.

Brady, to this point, Game for game (has better numbers and more titles that Montana). Not overall, game to game.

The guy played a poor game, but I don't think he was the sole reason the Pats lost. Both Crumpler and Branch dropped KEY passes that might have changed the outcome. But as I've said many times, if if's and and's were pots and pans, the world would be a kitchen. It is what it is.

I'm on the record as saying that Montana is the best ever, right now, period. When it's all said and done, I think it will be Brady.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
Knee-jerk reaction.

Brady, to this point, Game for game (has better numbers and more titles that Montana). Not overall, game to game.

The guy played a poor game, but I don't think he was the sole reason the Pats lost. Both Crumpler and Branch dropped KEY passes that might have changed the outcome. But as I said, if's and and's were pots and pans, the world would be a kitchen. It is what it is.

I'm on the record as saying that Montana is the best ever, right now, period. When it's all said and done, I think it will be Brady.

I go
Brady
Ben
Manning
Rivers

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »
BIG difference between Montana and Brady is Montana played in an era where the defense was actually allowed to play defense 

The NFL looks more like basketball than football these days

body88

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »
BIG difference between Montana and Brady is Montana played in an era where the defense was actually allowed to play defense 

That's true.

You could also make an argument that players today are bigger, stronger and faster, and since there is a salary cap, teams are much closer in talent, unlike back when Joe played and the NFL was somewhat like the MLB.

The advent of instant replay and challenges have made an impact as well. Back in the day, guys got away with a lot more, because refs simply didn't see it or care. That applies to offensive pi as well.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »

good point, i remember the playoff game 49ers vs  giants where the announcer says montana will probably be back for the second half, vicious hit from jim burt put him down. 5 minutes later the cameras showed montana being carried out of the building in a stretcher to a waiting ambulance. at that point he looked dead.
F

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
Montana played in an era where you can basically mug the receiver ...whereas today you can't even touch him five yards from scrimmage ..
L

slaver

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
seemed jets were allowed to pass int all day