Author Topic: For those training each muscle group only 1x per week  (Read 24770 times)

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
For those training each muscle group only 1x per week
« on: January 17, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
Thats the way I train for a long time and I like it because it helps me being injury free while training insanely hard, I also feel that this is the optimal training schedule in terms of strenght and mass gains (maybe 1 muscle group each 6 days would be the sweet number - like Dorian used to train - but since I am not a bodybuilder I keep the cycle matched with the whole week to fit better with my work and social agenda).

But, the thing is, for example, I train chest on mondays, and when it comes the weekend I feel like my pecs are not as pumped as during the middle of the week, and it kinda of spois the visual effect during this part of the week.

Training chest 2x full throtle is definetly an overkill for me but what about doing a light session on thursday or friday just to pump it up a bit and prepare things for the next monday when I will train this muscle group again? Have anyone tried something like this?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: For those training each muscle group only 1x per week
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »
I think it depends on the split you do, it's not that hard:

For example, you train chest on Monday, then when you train arms on Thursday, you can do close grip bench press which will work your chest as well as your triceps.

If you look around a bit, you will find many movements that will include other muscle groups as well, so you can use that to create the "pump" or light exercise effect on the other days of the week.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
but if we walk or ride a bike every day, in our daily life and chores, how will this affect your conceptual hypothesis of only once a week per body part?

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
This is the way i split my training:

Monday-Chest
Tuesday-Back
Wednesday-Hams/Calves
Thursday-Shoulders/Traps
Friday-Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Saturday-Quads
Sunday-Off

This is the best routine FOR ME. Typically my workouts are about 30-45 mins depending on the bodypart... i've tried lots of different splits but I always come back to this.

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
Thats the way I train for a long time and I like it because it helps me being injury free while training insanely hard, I also feel that this is the optimal training schedule in terms of strenght and mass gains (maybe 1 muscle group each 6 days would be the sweet number - like Dorian used to train - but since I am not a bodybuilder I keep the cycle matched with the whole week to fit better with my work and social agenda).

But, the thing is, for example, I train chest on mondays, and when it comes the weekend I feel like my pecs are not as pumped as during the middle of the week, and it kinda of spois the visual effect during this part of the week.

Training chest 2x full throtle is definetly an overkill for me but what about doing a light session on thursday or friday just to pump it up a bit and prepare things for the next monday when I will train this muscle group again? Have anyone tried something like this?

I had the same issue as you, and I realized hitting each muscle about ever 5 days works best for me.

So now I just hit each muscle about every 5 or 6 days.

I do a 3 day split. Push/pull/leg. And I just train ehenever I feel like it and when I have time. Usually I work out every other day but sometimes i'll lift 2 days in a row.

You don't need to follow a strict routine. Just freestyle it and do something a little different each week.

JOEBEAST

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
do narrow grip benching for your tris at the end of the week with dips and your chest will get some work too

JOEBEAST

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 06:13:12 PM »
This is the way i split my training:

Monday-Chest
Tuesday-Back
Wednesday-Hams/Calves
Thursday-Shoulders/Traps
Friday-Biceps/Triceps/Forearms
Saturday-Quads
Sunday-Off

This is the best routine FOR ME. Typically my workouts are about 30-45 mins depending on the bodypart... i've tried lots of different splits but I always come back to this.
  great split

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »
LOL @ people trying to optimize workouts like it makes any fvcking difference.  Just go do some compound exercises and let me know if you get more muscular.  If after a few months you havent, find a new hobby or kill yourself.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
LOL @ people trying to optimize workouts like it makes any fvcking difference.  Just go do some compound exercises and let me know if you get more muscular.  If after a few months you havent, find a new hobby or kill yourself.

"lol at people trying to optimize workouts and diets, just watch tv and eat doritos all day, and do some push ups every now and then"

::) ::)

epic getbiggerism

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

True. Some people do overthink it. For a natural lifter all you gotta do is lift hard. Rest that muscle until it's recovered. Repeat.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
True. Some people do overthink it. For a natural lifter all you gotta do is lift hard. Rest that muscle until it's recovered. Repeat.

thats is exactly why I train each group only once a week, to hit em hard for at least one hour. Thats basic shit to me, and nothing wrong with doing some finetuning too.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
X2
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »
well guess what, to people with some decent genetics for lifting weights, some ajustments to their workout routine actually does reflect in gains. I thought it was common sense but apparently it is not. Only in getbigland.

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »

It makes a difference if you're training hard or not though. A lot of bodybuilders have non-existant hams and calves because they treat them as an afterthought and don't put as much effort into them. Prioritizing your training can make a big difference.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
"lol at people trying to optimize workouts and diets, just watch tv and eat doritos all day, and do some push ups every now and then"

::) ::)

epic getbiggerism

Thats not what Im saying at all.  There are 3 groups of people who over scrutinize working out to the extent you are.  Pro athletes, near pro/pro bodybuilders, and noobs.  Lemme guess.....

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
It makes a difference if you're training hard or not though. A lot of bodybuilders have non-existant hams and calves because they treat them as an afterthought and don't put as much effort into them. Prioritizing your training can make a big difference.

Im not suggesting you shouldnt train hard, rather if several months of heavy squats and deadlifts havent put some muscle on your hamstrings, I can assure you that doing hamstring curls first on their own day isnt gonna be the 'magic key'.   ::)

Also, please read my above reply.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Your response made no logical sense whatsoever.  If you are already hitting them on back and chest day, then WHY do they need a separate day?  You could just add in some direct arm exercises into those days.  They are a small muscle group, and if you think hitting them "full force" once per week is going to make a large difference in your arms, I think you are greatly mistaken.  

Your weekend reason wouldnt matter either if you threw some direct bi / tri work onto back / chest day.

You ask a question about optimizing your workout days, and then when given some decent feedback, you come up with a bunch of lame excuses that don't even make sense. Why ask if you think you already have it figured out?  You are just defending your own workout to everyone that posts a suggestion...

Post a pic so we can see what "direct arm work" has done for you.  Current pic...as in today.

because my arms oscilates between 19-20 inches and I would say it is working for a natural.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
because my arms oscilates between 19-20 inches and I would say it is working for a natural.

because i

Let me guess, you live an unnamed country that has outlawed cameras?

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 06:38:12 PM »
 If you're just lifting as a hobby it's best to just do it without a strict plan.

Have fun with it, experiment, do it different each week, go by feel. Take a week off if you feel like it. Just do whatever.

Fine tuning doesn't make too much of a difference honestly. But if you really wanna push out that extra 5% go ahead and put in the hard work.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
19-20" right here baby!!!!!!

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »

Why would you blank out your face on that pic when we all know what you look like already? Hmmmm...

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:45 PM »

are you steve wonder? if not you could take a look at my avatar, also..

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
i train each muscle waaaaayyyyy more than once a week...

bench

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

Bwahahahahahahhhhahaha

Sorry for questioning you 'big fella'.  I'll sit back now and take notes 'stud'.

are you steve wonder? if not you could take a look at my avatar, also..

Yes Im 'steve' wonder.  ::)

JOEBEAST

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:08 PM »

19 inches ,come on bro ,more like 16 or 17 topps