Author Topic: New governor: Non-Christians 'not my brother,' 'not my sister'  (Read 1429 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
New governor: Non-Christians 'not my brother,' 'not my sister'
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41149562/ns/politics-more_politics/?gt1=43001

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama — Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.

Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.

"If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.

After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone
Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."

"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.

Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.

"Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said.

"Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down," he added. "That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."

The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.

"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: New governor: Non-Christians 'not my brother,' 'not my sister'
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
Insane.   

What a fucking ass.   

People like this make me want to puke.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

And I want to be your brother-

Big deal. Sounds like a typical Evangelist. Unless he straps a bomb to his chest and blows up a supermarket frequented by non Christians, I couldn't care less about this story.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.

Big deal. Sounds like a typical Evangelist. Unless he straps a bomb to his chest and blows up a supermarket frequented by non Christians, I couldn't care less about this story.

yeah but he's not an evagelist - he's the governor

just change the religion to Judaism, Islam or even change it to an atheist and imagine him making a similar comment in that same context

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »
I realy just ont think people in a Gov position shouldbe saying shit like that, even if they believe it.

Total crap IMHO.   I might agree with this guy on 90% of other issues, bu if e tries this nonsense with me, would it really be worth alienating a guy like me over something like this?   

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Disgusting. Of course many xian zealots will choose to (selectively) ignore this or silently support it.
As a governor he should focus on running his state, not acting like the Pope.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »
Bad timing maybe, poor choice of words perhaps, but what he said is simply part of Christianity and you can't expect a devote Christian not to believe these things:

Jesus said:

'For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”
Matthew 12:50 (New International Version, ©2010)

"Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
John 6:28-29

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
Matthew 28:19

“But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."
Luke 6:27-28

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
yeah but he's not an evagelist - he's the governor

just change the religion to Judaism, Islam or even change it to an atheist and imagine him making a similar comment in that same context

The two are not mutually exclusive. Evangelicals are a branch of Christianity. Many (if not most) Christians down south share the same views. He is the governor of Alabama- elected by the people of Alabama. I'm sure that they knew he was an evangelist before the elected him. When people like Cynthia McKinney and Bernie Sanders are elected to office (among others who are convicted criminals, tax cheats, atheists, etc.) and make statements most people find reprehensible, its the same story. The constituents who elected them into office agreed with their point of view or didn't care about it. It cuts both ways.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

Apologists tell me that blowing yourself up in a market full of women and children is no different from this guy's words. In-fact, his actions might even be worse.  ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 11:38:12 AM »
Look at this guy!  How dare he?

John Jay, one of the framers of the Constitution, was appointed by George Washington in 1789 to be the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (and later served two terms as governor of New York). He wrote, in a private letter(1797) to clergyman Jedidiah Morse:

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

It is to be regretted, but so I believe the fact to be, that except the Bible there is not a true history in the world. Whatever may be the virtue, discernment, and industry of the writers, I am persuaded that truth and error (though in different degrees) will imperceptibly become and remain mixed and blended until they shall be separated forever by the great and last refining fire."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »
Look at this guy!  How dare he?

John Jay, one of the framers of the Constitution, was appointed by George Washington in 1789 to be the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (and later served two terms as governor of New York). He wrote, in a private letter(1797) to clergyman Jedidiah Morse:

"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.

It is to be regretted, but so I believe the fact to be, that except the Bible there is not a true history in the world. Whatever may be the virtue, discernment, and industry of the writers, I am persuaded that truth and error (though in different degrees) will imperceptibly become and remain mixed and blended until they shall be separated forever by the great and last refining fire."

one is a private letter

the other is an inaugural address

There is a Muslim congressman from Minnesota

If he made a comment like this Fox New would be covering it 24/7 as a sign of the apocolypse and Glen Beck would do nothing but weep for an entire show

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »
Oh please Dear God, don't make me agree with Straw on something.   Please, please please please.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Loco on everything except the illegal immigrant menace, I think we are in complete agreement on political issues. I'd like to present you with a dual honorary degree in poly/sci- public relations from the Getbig.Com's Online Institute For Advanced Conservative Studies. This prestigious Online University is the first of its kind and was founded at 2:45pm eastern standard time on January 19th, 2011.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:08 AM »
one is a private letter

If he made a comment like this Fox New would be covering it 24/7 as a sign of the apocolypse and Glen Beck would do nothing but weep for an entire show

He would never make such a comment because he is on thin ice to begin with and Muslims are inherently dangerous and violent people.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
Oh please Dear God, don't make me agree with Straw on something.   Please, please please please.   

it's just one of your brief moments of sanity

don't worry - it will pass soon

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »
one is a private letter

Keith Ellison has ties to more than one Islamic supremacist group that should probably be labeled terrorist organizations.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:13 PM »
Keith Ellison has ties to more than one Islamic supremacist group that should probably be labeled terrorist organizations.

Straw has ties to a genital washing military dictatorship in the Congo. Allegedly their mission is simple; force all Africans to wash their genitals under threat of violence. Straw travels from village to village with his rainbow clad band of mercenaries carrying a sponge and a scrub bucket filled with tepid water and Mr.Clean. I'm not sure if you can designate an armed resistance group enacting a "social program" funded by the stimulus bill as a terrorist organization, but matters are clearly leaning in that direction.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
one is a private letter

What about this guy?  How dare he?

George Washington

Circular letter of farewell to the Army, 8 June 1783:
I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.

First Inaugural Address, 30 April 1789:
No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.

Farewell Address, 1796:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.… And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.… Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
Straw has ties to a genital washing military dictatorship in the Congo. Allegedly their mission is simple; force all Africans to wash their genitals under threat of violence. Straw travels from village to village with his rainbow clad band of mercenaries carrying a sponge and a scrub bucket filled with tepid water and Mr.Clean. I'm not sure if you can designate an armed resistance group enacting a "social program" funded by the stimulus bill as a terrorist organization, but matters are clearly leaning in that direction.

;D

You're going to make him cry.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:34 PM »
Loco on everything except the illegal immigrant menace, I think we are in complete agreement on political issues. I'd like to present you with a dual honorary degree in poly/sci- public relations from the Getbig.Com's Online Institute For Advanced Conservative Studies. This prestigious Online University is the first of its kind and was founded at 2:45pm eastern standard time on January 19th, 2011.

Well, thank you very much, Chancellor George Whorewell!    :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 12:17:23 PM »

George Washington

I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Field, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.

No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.

The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which Heaven itself has ordained.

Farewell Address, 1796:
Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of Patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of Men and Citizens.… And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.… Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

Pffffft, "George Washington...."   ::)

;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 12:21:05 PM »

LoL. I was wondering how long it would take to run out of something relevent to say.    
You just can't stop thinking about washing male genitals.  Why don't you just come out of the closet already.  No one will think any less of you than they already do.  

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Well, at least he's up front about....

But, being that many Latino's and W. Africans are overwhelmingly Christian---how does he feel about deporting a illegal who is his "brother" or "sister"?  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
I still think this is one of those things you just STFU about even if you feel that way. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »

George Washington

Farewell Address, 1796:

None of those comments are divisive

The governor is telling the citizens of his stae that unless you share his thoughts and beliefs he will view you disticntly different from those who do.    The "good news" is that all you have to do is adopt his beliefs and then he will consider you a brother/sister

Very concilliatory of him