Author Topic: An interesting Hogan comment...  (Read 6832 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
An interesting Hogan comment...
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
This stems back from his 2005-2006 part time WWE run...

In regards to the public reaction to Summerslam, and his treatment as an employee, he said:

“ Last year at SummerSlam, I fought Randy Orton – and me and Vince had some problems with the money. Before SummerSlam, I was a little worried because instead of being a main event match I was on fourth against Randy Orton. When I heard about the first three matches at the Fleet Center in Boston and it sounded like a funeral. And when I listened to the crowd reactions to those matches, it did sound like a funeral. Then, when my music came on it was like the old days people were stood up. It was electric. Randy is a great hard working wrestler and we fought an old school style match. That was the most exciting match I've ever had in the Fleet Centre. I wrestled Steve Borden in a cage, which was a great match in my opinion at least, but this one was better as after second-guessing I was like 'Oh my god, it still works'. Then Vince went out with his son and wrestled Triple H and Shawn Michaels and it was dead against. John Cena went on for the main event, and people started leaving for God sake.”

He also spoke extensively on his payment (rightfully so... he only carried the company and put WWE on the map for the entire decade of the eighties and into the ninties), and his concerns of not being a top priority to Vince McMahon, despite the fact that he felt he was the company's biggest draw:

“ I felt bad when the night ended, as they should have put me on later, but it was the money that really got to me. I swore I would never talk about the money again with Vince because that's what we always argue about. But when I saw the amount I got, it was like one of my driver's paychecks, so I had to say something. He replied, 'Well you're not the only big guy any more, there are now 12 big guys.' I said, 'Well if that's the case let me explain something to you, I heard the first three matches and nothing. I wrestled and I heard what happened. And then I heard your match Vince and nothing. And I saw Cena, and people were leaving. I had a hard time getting out the building because of all the people marching through. 'So who are the other 11 big guys you're splitting my money with?' 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: An interesting Hogan comment...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »
I don't know all the details.
Maybe Hogan has a legitimate gripe.
But, he also needs to rembember that THIS AIN'T 1986 ANYMORE...BROTHER!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
I don't know all the details.
Maybe Hogan has a legitimate gripe.
But, he also needs to rembember that THIS AIN'T 1986 ANYMORE...BROTHER!!!

I bet Hogan could still draw more than Cena. :)

Maybe not put on a better match, but he could outdraw Cena right now.

Most guys these days don't seem like they know how to work. I think Randy Orton is probably one of the best in that company, on the mic and in the ring.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:04:21 PM »

Most guys these days don't seem like they know how to work. I think Randy Orton is probably one of the best in that company, on the mic and in the ring.

Cena is over with the crowd they have.
Hogan would be over with a much bigger crowd that he would attract.
Yes - Hogan would easily outdraw Cena; even in his decrepitly geriatric state, but as a special attraction.
I don't think Hogan's superior drawing power would last as a member of the regular roster.

And, I'm not very "into" the character, but I also agree with you about Orton.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »

Cena is over with the crowd they have.
Hogan would be over with a much bigger crowd that he would attract.
Yes - Hogan would easily outdraw Cena; even in his decrepitly geriatric state, but as a special attraction.
I don't think Hogan's superior drawing power would last as a member of the regular roster.

And, I'm not very "into" the character, but I also agree with you about Orton.

I haven't watched recently, but Ortons heel character reminded me or HHH back in his heel days.

I can't even begin to tell you anything about these "Nexus" guys or any of the newer guys. I can't remember the last guy I saw that stood out to me the way Orton does.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:38:27 PM »
I haven't watched recently, but Ortons heel character reminded me or HHH back in his heel days.

I can't even begin to tell you anything about these "Nexus" guys or any of the newer guys. I can't remember the last guy I saw that stood out to me the way Orton does.

Orton is a great heel because the stories are stacking up about his backstage behaviour and arrogance. He is a heel in real life too. Bet his coworkers must throw up in their mouths when he turns baby face. He is the complete package in a wrestler and the only thing standing in his way is some bad wiring in his head. I guess if he manages it and avoids career ending injuries he should be fine.

He feels like royalty I guess. Entitled and untouchable. Or he's a great guy fooling everyone by playing a bastard persona 24/7.

As for Nexus, mixed bunch with only Wade Barrett showing any personality. The rest are just goons, but I think the redhead is purty. Bloody weird accent on him though.

Vince cobbling Hulk Hogan over money wouldn't surprise me. He didn't get the billions by being nice.

;D

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:53:55 AM »

I agree 100%. But at least he didn't hold Vince up or refuse to go out like the other face painted ding bat.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:38:19 AM »
I agree 100%. But at least he didn't hold Vince up or refuse to go out like the other face painted ding bat.

Excellent point.
It seemed that Hogan was always professional in such matters with Vince.

However, it still bugs me how he stormed out of the WCW arena with the belt, the night Russo wanted him to job to Booker T.
That was the night Booker defeated Jarrett (instead), and they had to give him a replica belt from the souvenir stand.
However Hogan felt was wrong, but what he did wasn't right, either, and was very unfair to Booker, who'd worked his ass off and deserved his push.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 06:21:27 AM »

Excellent point.
It seemed that Hogan was always professional in such matters with Vince.

However, it still bugs me how he stormed out of the WCW arena with the belt, the night Russo wanted him to job to Booker T.
That was the night Booker defeated Jarrett (instead), and they had to give him a replica belt from the souvenir stand.
However Hogan felt was wrong, but what he did wasn't right, either, and was very unfair to Booker, who'd worked his ass off and deserved his push.

Creative Control.....can you dig it sucka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:31:02 AM »
LOL!!!
I guess you can't blame him for exercising his "too much power."
But, Russo was a total dick, so I suppose when they couldn't reach an agreement...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:33:21 AM »
Hogan seem right in this incident, but like Monty said about the WCW deal, he has long thought of himself as way above the business.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 06:38:28 AM »
Hogan seem right in this incident, but like Monty said about the WCW deal, he has long thought of himself as way above the business.

Yep.
And, when you have two guys being assholes who won't budge in either direction...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »

Yep.
And, when you have two guys being assholes who won't budge in either direction...

I was always surprised that Hogan and VKM could work together as much as they did.....would pay to hear some of those conversations/negotiations...

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
As he should as he is the one who put pro wrestling on the map. He made alot of people very rich and was recognized by millions. But aside from that, he was a nice guy. Even Bobby Heenan commented that Hogan although had his own dressing room he would let the boys change withhim or he would change with the boys and other perks like his limo service which he let some of the guys ride in with him. He wasn't a prick. Russo was a jackass in general. Who else would make David Arquette champion and expect people to eat it. Hogan should have cracked him one.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
I believe that Russo was the bigger asshole in that case.

Everybody has their moments, though.
Hogan refused to drop the WWF belt to Bret before leaving for WCW, which I suspect still pisses off Bret to this day.
There was a lot of emotion in that section of his book.

Bret also refused to put Shawn over for the belt after Shawn refused to put Bret over, etc.

There are many cases where guys have had "that moment."
It's always interesting to see how they ultimately play out.
There's always at least one person left unhappy in the end, and EVERYBODY feels that they were in the right.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 08:13:47 AM »
I believe that Russo was the bigger asshole in that case.

Everybody has their moments, though.
Hogan refused to drop the WWF belt to Bret before leaving for WCW, which I suspect still pisses off Bret to this day.
There was a lot of emotion in that section of his book.

Bret also refused to put Shawn over for the belt after Shawn refused to put Bret over, etc.

There are many cases where guys have had "that moment."
It's always interesting to see how they ultimately play out.
There's always at least one person left unhappy in the end, and EVERYBODY feels that they were in the right.
Warrior takes the cake...."I won't go out there unless you give me half a million dollars upfront" .... tell me that's not asking to be "spoken to" by the boys. Lol..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
Warrior takes the cake...."I won't go out there unless you give me half a million dollars upfront" .... tell me that's not asking to be "spoken to" by the boys. Lol..

Had he played his cards right and was opened to evolving as a character and ring worker, Hellwig could have ended up an industry legend.
Instead, he is a legend only in his own mind; and maybe to a couple hundred uneducated UW marks sprinkled throughout the universe.

I believe he had a great deal of potential, but was too damn dumb and stubborn to nurture & develop it.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »

Had he played his cards right and was opened to evolving as a character and ring worker, Hellwig could have ended up an industry legend.
Instead, he is a legend only in his own mind; and maybe to a couple hundred uneducated UW marks sprinkled throughout the universe.

I believe he had a great deal of potential, but was too damn dumb and stubborn to nurture & develop it.

And he still made millions through his stupid lawsuits, wrestling, etc. He is only one to have ever stuck it to Vince.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
And he still made millions through his stupid lawsuits, wrestling, etc. He is only one to have ever stuck it to Vince.

The only wrestler to have come close was Jesse Ventura.
He successfully sued Vince for, I think, around $800K over Coliseum Home Video royalties.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
As he should as he is the one who put pro wrestling on the map. He made alot of people very rich and was recognized by millions. But aside from that, he was a nice guy. Even Bobby Heenan commented that Hogan although had his own dressing room he would let the boys change withhim or he would change with the boys and other perks like his limo service which he let some of the guys ride in with him. He wasn't a prick. Russo was a jackass in general. Who else would make David Arquette champion and expect people to eat it. Hogan should have cracked him one.

I don't really see it that Hogan is "above the business."  He would have NOTHING without it....playing bass guitar in some shitty band, hanging out at the beach.....  he at least owes wrestling as much as it does him.  He certainly made himself, and some people, a boatload of money and some would argue he is what opened the door for the boom of the 90's, but I guess I don't see it as much because growing up in the Mid-Atlantic area I always thought wrestling was a big deal and viewed the WWF of the 80's as silly, comic book shit.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »
I don't really see it that Hogan is "above the business."  He would have NOTHING without it....playing bass guitar in some shitty band, hanging out at the beach.....  he at least owes wrestling as much as it does him.  He certainly made himself, and some people, a boatload of money and some would argue he is what opened the door for the boom of the 90's, but I guess I don't see it as much because growing up in the Mid-Atlantic area I always thought wrestling was a big deal and viewed the WWF of the 80's as silly, comic book shit.
I think Hogan was a big popular name that HELPED pro wrestling and made it mainstream collectively with guys like Rick Flair, Randy Savage, etc, etc. But he definately should ever be greatful to his successes to the business. Likeyou said, Show, he was a big kid playing base guitar working as a longshoreman on and off. What pisses me off is how Rick Flair isn't as recognized for those same attributes just because he was in Mid -Atlantic.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
Wrestling historians recognize Flair for his attributes.
I think a lot has to do with Hogan's reach beyond wrestling.
If Flair had done the appearances on SNL, Sports Illustrated, MTV, movies, national TV commercials, etc., then I believe he would have gotten more of the Hogan-type notoriety.

Flair was huge in the industry.
Hogan was huge in and also beyond the industry.

You can thank the old man (VKM) for that.
It took his visions and aspirations to allow Hogan's abilities to reach their heights, and it took Hogan to enable Vince's visions to come to fruition.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
Flair is like the DeNiro of wrestling, at least the DeNiro of old.  Those in the "know" recognize his incredible ability.

Hogan is like Arnie......boat load of hit movies and cash, but not recognized for his "craft" like others.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
Flair is like the DeNiro of wrestling, at least the DeNiro of old.  Those in the "know" recognize his incredible ability.

Hogan is like Arnie......boat load of hit movies and cash, but not recognized for his "craft" like others.

That's probably the best analogy I've ever read regarding those two.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »

That's probably the best analogy I've ever read regarding those two.
Lol....I was about to say the same thing.