Author Topic: Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair II  (Read 3652 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair II
« on: January 25, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
Confession: that headline was just to get your attention.  Evangelical leader Joel Osteen has not been accused of having a gay affair but it may just be a matter of time.  My gaydar does off every time I see this guy--and it's not because I like him.  I don't.  

Joel Osteen: 'Homosexuality is a sin'
Known for his focus on uplifting Christian messages and ability to stay away from controversial social and political issues (Read Newsweek's "No Politics From This Pulpit"), Texas megapastor Joel Osteen has found himself in the headlines this week for telling CNN's Piers Morgan that homosexuality is a sin.

Osteen and his wife Victoria are among America's most influential religious figures. Acording to his Web site at Lakewood Church, the 16,000-seat Houston church he pastors, Osteen's "weekly sermon is broadcast into every U.S. television market where it is viewed by seven million Americans each week and more than 20 million each month. His weekly broadcast is also seen in nearly 100 nations around the world." His book "Your Best Life Now" was a New York Times bestseller and his influence crosses religious and national boundaries. Osteen's inspirational-message approach to Christianity has its critics, and after his interview on CNN, he's likely to gain a few more.

Asked point blank about homosexuality by the eponymous host of Piers Morgan Tonight, Osteen was forced to address an issue that he'd just as soon avoid.

"Yes, I've always believed Pierce the scriptures show that homosexuality is a sin. But I'm not one of those who is out there to bash homosexuals and tell them that they're terrible people and all of that. I mean, there are other sins in the Bible, too. And I think sometimes the church --and I don't mean this critically --but we focus on one issue or two issues, and there's plenty of other ones. So I don't believe that homosexuality is God's best for a person's life --sin means to miss the mark."

Osteen's beliefs on homosexuality are not unique within Christianity --though many (as Morgan suggests) may find them offensive or even hateful.

The pastor told On Faith's Sally Quinn in a 2008 interview that he tends to not "focus" on sin, but instead forms his preaching around a positive "abundant life" approach to Christianity...

http://onfaith.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/undergod/2011/01/joel_osteen_homosexuality_is_a_sin.html?hpid=talkbox1

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair II
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
Bay, do you think he is being too hard or too soft or just right on the subject of homosexuality and the bible? 

From what I've seen of him (limited) he seems to not want to rattle any cages.  He was given the opportunity to share the gospel a few years ago on Fox or CNN or something (can't remember) and he danced around it instead.  Maybe he'd respond differently today, and maybe not..I'm not really that familiar w/him.

Ministrywatch.com Donor Alert List:

Joel Osteen Ministries/ Lakewood Church

Neither ministry posts their audited financial statements on a website and based on
MinistryWatch.com’s request for basic information, nor would they give any to MinistryWatch.
com. Without information donors cannot make optimal decisions. Understand
what it is you are going to support. Ministries that are not open in providing
basic information are obstructing prudent donors in understanding. In addition,
Ministries are seen by many as teachers and ones with authority. What are these
ministries teaching by their example? Are others to follow their example? What
would the nonprofit sector look like if they all followed the example of a closed
shop?.....(ministrywatch.com)
R

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair II
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
Olsteen is about as squishy a preacher as you can get. It's not that his messages are wrong; they're just incomplete and non-confrontational.

Had Morgan interviewed someone like John Hagee, OH BOY!!! There would have been fireworks.

Here's an idea! Since Morgan is so stuck on the homosexuality thing, he should interview preachers like Donnie McClurkin or Stephen Bennett (two men who said they were once homosexuals but left the homosexual lifestyle, after accepting Christ into their lives).

Bennett was living with his gay lover when a woman shared the gospel with him. That woman is now his wife and he has two daughters. He has been on CNN before, particularly when the debates were heavy on marriage amendments.