Author Topic: Any of you quit lifting weights?  (Read 1761 times)

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
Any of you quit lifting weights?
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
 I'm thinking about quitting lifting weights. And just focusing on other forms of training like bicycling, climbing, etc.

I'm just getting bored with repetetively pumping out reps in a room. I'd rather go out and do cool shit for exercise.

Also i'm a natural lifter and I feel like i've just about maxxed out naturally. So to keep on lifting has just kinda lost the excitement it used to have back when I was making major progress. I'm basically just maintaining in the gym at this point.

I was thinking about gearing up to take it to the next level. But now i'm leaning towards just quitting it for a while.

Any of you quit lifting? How was it for you?

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
Re: Any of you quit lifting weights?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:05:08 PM »
your mom quit lifting weights

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
your mom quit lifting weights

Your Mom lifts my heavy cock into her asshole.

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:07:35 PM »
I am going to start lifting soon, soon
U

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »
Your Mom lifts my heavy cock into her asshole.

funny.....I didn't know my mom started fucking her gay friends

way to go, Liberace

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
funny.....I didn't know my mom started fucking her gay friends

way to go, Liberace

I think you need to go to the hospital.

You need to get all that cum pumped out of your stomach. It's making you crazy.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »
I more or less quit from 26 till just recently ( I just turned 30) and I do not regret it a bit! I spent a lot of time doing cardio, biking, walking and running etc. Been in the gym pretty regular recently and my body has come back to life so fast it's scary. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking some time off trust me. I missed working out and went back to it and now I love it but for a time (several years actually) I really began to loathe being in the gym. Shit I had been doing it since I was 14 and at 26 I was BURNED OUT. Bad! So yeah take the time off if you feel like you need it.

alpmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
If your natural then yea just stop here. Do some weight lifting to keep what you go 2-3 times per week, but go and enjoy other stuff.

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:17:26 PM »
post a pic and we shall see if you maxed out or not.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Give it a rest. If you're actually training and not just working out then every session should be fun and nerve-racking. Mindless Nubret-style bodybuilding pumping would get old, fast, though, no question.  

And no one ever maxes out his potential. Total horseshit. Muscular development, perhaps (and in relative terms), but never the nervous system, etc.

When people suggest such a thing, I immediately know they've hit a rut and haven't become more educated in the fine art of weight training.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 06:44:38 PM »
Give it a rest. If you're actually training and not just working out then every session should be fun and nerve-racking. Mindless Nubret-style bodybuilding pumping would get old, fast, though, no question.  

And no one ever maxes out his potential. Total horseshit. Muscular development, perhaps (and in relative terms), but never the nervous system, etc.

When people suggest such a thing, I immediately know they've hit a rut and haven't become more educated in the fine art of weight training.
except that part

x2

Firemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 07:09:07 PM »

You do max out.

Of course after you max out you can still make gains. But they come much much slower and you have to work a lot harder to get those gains. The gains slow down like a reverse bell-curve.

For about 6 months I was lifting like a maniac and having really intense sessions. But the gains I was making were just like fine-tuning, nothing major, just seems like it's not worth the time.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
i quit for 2 years once.....came back more awesome than ever..

bench

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:54:05 AM »
I quit at the end of every workout. Then start again at the beginning of the next one.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 03:56:12 AM »
i quited seeing your mom for a while, we need to keep some distance.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:16 AM »
weights or bicycling needs sometype of progressive/overload in volume, speed ect
A

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:33 AM »
I'm thinking about quitting lifting weights. And just focusing on other forms of training like bicycling, climbing, etc.

I'm just getting bored with repetetively pumping out reps in a room. I'd rather go out and do cool shit for exercise.

Also i'm a natural lifter and I feel like i've just about maxxed out naturally. So to keep on lifting has just kinda lost the excitement it used to have back when I was making major progress. I'm basically just maintaining in the gym at this point.

I was thinking about gearing up to take it to the next level. But now i'm leaning towards just quitting it for a while.

Absolutely not. Been doing it far too long that its just part of my dialy routine. I was doing 5-6 days a week but cut it down to a good solid 4. Priorities took place for me.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 04:50:12 AM »
Years ago,I quit a zillion times but always started again.

Once you get older,you better not stop.

If not making any progress,re-evaluate your diet,training routine,motivation,rest/sleep.....try new techniques in the gym,and eat better,get more rest,train harder not longer.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:04:28 AM »
I quit the gym from mid 2005 until late 2007, a break of over two years.

Then quit again in April 2009 up to January 2010 - nearly a year.

Been training hard ever since and I'm looking better than I've ever looked in my life.

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 05:11:44 AM »
I quit a few times over the years due to injuries that required surgery or time away from the gym to recover.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 05:18:24 AM »

I would not quit altogther..switch to maintainance mode!  Do a full bodywork out 2-3 times a week.  You will probably keep what ever gains that you have made

keep the cardio up and stay lean
I

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
Overview

In addition to the countless physical benefits, exercise can have psychological benefits. Studies show that exercise can increase the amounts of the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin in your brain. The increased levels of neurotransmitters can help treat disorders, such as Parkinson's disease and depression, as well as help you to feel more energetic overall.
Function

Your brain produces the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine so that your brain cells can communicate. According to McGill University's website, dopamine helps your brain execute motor movements and regulate your mood and concentration. Your brain uses serotonin to regulate your body temperature, mood, and appetite, among other things. Low levels of serotonin are thought to cause depression.
Exercise Your Brain Subscribe to our newsletter to get free articles on mental health. www.MoreThanMedication.c a
Sponsored Links
Exercise and Dopamine

In a May 2007 article in the "Journal of Neuroscience," neuroscientist Gizelle Petzinger and colleagues note that exercise may cause the brain cells that use dopamine to work more efficiently. The study shows that the dopamine-releasing neurons of rats who ran on a treadmill released more dopamine than rats who did not exercise. The dopamine also remained active longer in the rats who ran on a treadmill.
Exercise and Serotonin

In a November 2007 article in the "Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience," Dr. Simon Young notes that exercise may increase the amount of serotonin in your brain, referencing studies, which indicate that physical activity results in higher levels of the molecules 5-HIAA and tryptophan in the body. The body uses 5-HIAA and tryptophan to produce serotonin.
Benefits of Increased Dopamine

Exercise may help people who suffer from Parkinson's disease by reducing damage to brain cells that release dopamine. In an August 2007 article in the journal "Neuroscience Letters," M. C. Yoon and colleagues reported that rats that exercised on a treadmill 30 minutes a day for two weeks lost less dopamine-releasing cells than rats that performed no exercise.
Benefits of Increased Serotonin

In the November 2007 article in the "Journal of Psychiatry & Neuroscience," Dr. Simon Young notes that exercise is commonly used as a treatment for mild depression, because of its serotonin-increasing effects. Dr. Young says that aerobic exercise, such as jogging, biking and swimming, works best to treat mild depression. Also, according to "Fitness Magazine," the increase in serotonin from aerobic exercise boosts your energy levels.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/251785-exercise-and-its-effects-on-serotonin-dopamine-levels/#ixzz1CLBbikVH

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »

Once you get older,you better not stop.

If not making any progress,re-evaluate your diet,training routine,motivation,rest/sleep.....try new techniques in the gym,and eat better,get more rest,train harder not longer.

Truth.

Although I agree it's good to swap weights for cycling, trail running, hiking.  Not entirely, but you can balance it out.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:39:29 AM »
Only when I've been hurt or sick.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 06:40:57 AM »
i gained fat like no other this year from a 6 month layoff, i will never do it again. Thewhole heart issue i had kinda scared me off from lifting and the girl took up much of my time. But now the heart thing seems mostly cleared up because im eating better and deep breathing more. ive lifted for 16 years and no lay off until this year and i wouldnt recomend it bud
A