Author Topic: Royal Rumble 2011 results...wow....  (Read 12696 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Royal Rumble 2011 results...wow....
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:40 AM »
The two best parts of the RR was when Punk hit R Truth in the corner with the knee and then yelled "Whatsss uppp?" to the crowd.  God, I hate that bullshit from R Truth.

Second one was unlike past RRs it didn't consist of the new man running down to the ring then all the others in the ring just hanging back while the new guy  hit "his spots" on all of them.  The Undertaker was the worst at this.    Next would Randy Orton having to RKO everyone in the ring that year.

Alberto Del Rio is going to work out to be a great heel.  He has the perfect mix up of Eddie Guerro + Rick The Model Martels' gimmicks.
You and me both. I find him annoying. I can't even understand him when he's supposedly rapping. I liked him much better in TNA as "The Truth" / The whole Truth & nothing but the Truth gimmick.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »
The two best parts of the RR was when Punk hit R Truth in the corner with the knee and then yelled "Whatsss uppp?" to the crowd.  God, I hate that bullshit from R Truth.

Second one was unlike past RRs it didn't consist of the new man running down to the ring then all the others in the ring just hanging back while the new guy  hit "his spots" on all of them.  The Undertaker was the worst at this.    Next would Randy Orton having to RKO everyone in the ring that year.

Alberto Del Rio is going to work out to be a great heel.  He has the perfect mix up of Eddie Guerro + Rick The Model Martels' gimmicks.

I was thinking more Eddie Guerrero and JBL. He's more of a hybrid of the two.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
You and me both. I find him annoying. I can't even understand him when he's supposedly rapping. I liked him much better in TNA as "The Truth" / The whole Truth & nothing but the Truth gimmick.

Then, you must have been in stitches when the crowd booed him on RAW, for screaming "GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN!!!!! WHAT'S UP!!!", when RAW was in Milwaukee.

They were cool with him, until that part. Then, they were cheering for the new (and GIGANTIC) Nexus guy that beat him up.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
Thanks. That said I don't know if Del Rio is the one who will reverse the WWE's downward spiral. Not sure if you follow financial stuff, but, the WWE's latest earnings report was less than stellar, and, as a result, the stock price took a hit.

The current WWE product does fairly well as a television soap opera, but, it's not getting people to live shows, or to spend money on ppvs.

To me, WWE is wearing itself too thin. TOO MANY Pay-Per-Views, for starters.

Back in the day, you have the "Big 4". SummerSlam, Survivor Series, The Royal Rumble, and (of course) WrestleMania.

Ever since they started that "In Your House" Series in '95, WWE has gone PPV nuts. But, at least the IYH ones were only $20 (then again, they were only 2 hours long, instead of 3 hours).

Who's going to blow $50, 13 times a year to watch a PPV, especially if you can catch the foreign broadcast on the Internet for free?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
Michael Cole has been training in FCW in recent weeks. He’s been learning how to take bumps.

This has led to speculation that we’ll see a Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler match at WrestleMania. The setup would be for Cole to once again cost Lawler the title at the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view.

Jerry Lawler vs. Alex Riley with Michael Cole as the special guest referee has also been talked about along with several other ideas.

Nothing is confirmed as of this writing. More as we get it.

Now you know the WWE is extremely depserate for stars because they have to put Michael Cole in the ring. Wow....brtual.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:34 AM »
Michael Cole has been training in FCW in recent weeks. He’s been learning how to take bumps.

This has led to speculation that we’ll see a Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler match at WrestleMania. The setup would be for Cole to once again cost Lawler the title at the Elimination Chamber pay-per-view.

Jerry Lawler vs. Alex Riley with Michael Cole as the special guest referee has also been talked about along with several other ideas.

Now you know the WWE is extremely depserate for stars because they have to put Michael Cole in the ring. Wow....brtual.

I'm lost as I don't watch very much WWE, if at all.   Lawler is in some sort of "title" angle?  and now Cole is involved?  Wow....sunken do depths never before achieved.....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:25 AM »

Hmm...
What kind of gate do you think Cole vs. Taker would draw?

I'm sure that Vince has thought about it...

LOL...

Not really.
 :D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »
Hmm...
What kind of gate do you think Cole vs. Taker would draw?

I'm sure that Vince has thought about it...

LOL...

Not really.
 :D
ha ha ha....desperate times call for desperate decisions....and Vince is desperate. Edgeis retiring soon. Jericho is gone. Undertaker is a half cripple and needs 8 months off after every WM the last 3 years. HHH is up there in age and has taken more of a backstage roll. As some kids sign on raw said yesterday..."We've Cena Nuff".  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »
ha ha ha....desperate times call for desperate decisions....and Vince is desperate. Edgeis retiring soon. Jericho is gone. Undertaker is a half cripple and needs 8 months off after every WM the last 3 years. HHH is up there in age and has taken more of a backstage roll. As some kids sign on raw said yesterday..."We've Cena Nuff".  ;)

If they're not careful, Cena could begin drawing "X-Pac heat."

I was also going to comment on WM being held in Miami, but you must've edited your post right as I hit the quote button & the server gave me a pissy error message...lol.
If they're holding the event in Miami, it may be to "butter-up" the region to greenlight the building the WWE HOF there.
I believe that Orlando and/or surrounding areas were being considered for that.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »

If they're not careful, Cena could begin drawing "X-Pac heat."

I was also going to comment on WM being held in Miami, but you must've edited your post right as I hit the quote button & the server gave me a pissy error message...lol.
If they're holding the event in Miami, it may be to "butter-up" the region to greenlight the building the WWE HOF there.
I believe that Orlando and/or surrounding areas were being considered for that.
Yup....We were supposed to get WM28 next year in Toronto but Miami got it on a count of the fact that we had WM6 & 18 here already. I'd have been the first one in line for tickets...thats for sure.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Yup....We were supposed to get WM28 next year in Toronto but Miami got it on a count of the fact that we had WM6 & 18 here already. I'd have been the first one in line for tickets...thats for sure.

You won't feel so bad when the main event turns out to be Miz vs. Michael Cole with Hornswaggle in a midget-on-a-pole match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »

You won't feel so bad when the main event turns out to be Miz vs. Michael Cole with Hornswaggle in a midget-on-a-pole match.

I honestly heard that Cole will either fight Lawler or be a special ref with Lawler fighting Alex Riley at WM. How freakin hurting is that? 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
Solie never had to bump.

End of discussion.
 ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »
Solie never had to bump.

End of discussion.
 ;D
Yes, Solie was the best damn announcer.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
Besides possible guest suprises like HHH and Sting? Timmy tries to stay positive. But this years Mania doesn't look promising.

The problem is that they aren't building the Edge/Del Rio feud for WrestleMania. Edge is still stuck with Dolph Ziggler. Building the feud is tough enough to do in just two months. The best title matches, involving the Royal Rumble winner, usually are when the winner faces a champion with whom a beef has been building or already existed for MONTHS (Angle-Lesnar, Edge-Undertaker, Rock-Austin [WM17]).

This is why I don't necessarily like this whole Rumble-winner-gets-title-shot-at-WrestleMania deal. The main event match should be the match that is the most anticipated and likely to deliver the best performance.

Orton won the Rumble in 2009. Yet, his title match with Helmsley was mediocre at best. The main event should have been 'Taker vs. Michaels).

Last year, Edge won the Rumble. Was his match with Jericho the "main event"? NO!! It was 'Taker vs. Michaels (Streak vs. Career); they actually got it right.

In fact, 'Taker and Michaels did that back in 1997. Their first match was made the main event at "In Your House: Ground Zero", because tickets sales flopped, when the main event was a title match, between Bret Hart and the Patriot.

And, of course, at "In Your House: Badd Blood", the Hell-In-A-Cell match was top draw; there was no WWF title match.

My point: You don't need a World title match to be the main event of WrestleMania. The first WrestleMania and the last one have proven that.

This is especially true because, if the WWE/World Champion is a heel, he's dropping the belt 80% of the time (in other words, Miz is toast!!!).

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
I wouldn't pay 5 bucks to see Edge vs Del Rio in a main event. The bottom line is the WWE is hurting for superstars and these clowns they have now simply cannot cut it. These guys now have ZERO charisma and ZERO superstar quality. They need another group of Austin or Rock or HHH type of characters asap. Not these dumbass FCW clowns they scout out at Golds Gym.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
I wouldn't pay 5 bucks to see Edge vs Del Rio in a main event. The bottom line is the WWE is hurting for superstars and these clowns they have now simply cannot cut it. These guys now have ZERO charisma and ZERO superstar quality. They need another group of Austin or Rock or HHH type of characters asap. Not these dumbass FCW clowns they scout out at Golds Gym.

What you keep forgetting is that people once said THE EXACT SAME THING about Austin, Rock, and Helmsley. Did anyone in the mid-90s really think that that "The RingMaster", "Rocky Maivia", and the uber-snobbish Hunter Hearst Helmsley (curtsies and all) would revive the WWF and prove that there was life (and sports entertainment) after Hogan, Warrior, and Savage?

Did any of you see those three guys, eventually amassing nearly 30 World titles among themselves?

It took time to develop those guys, although some were thrust into the spotlight, such as Rock. I remember all the howls about how he didn't deserve to be Intercontinental Champion. That's how the "Rocky Sucks" and "Die, Rocky, Die!!" stuff began. And he beat Helmsley, who won the title mere months after being squashed by the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania 12.

As for Austin, he won King of the Ring, despite his earlier struggling and literally getting whipped by Savio Vega, especially with his last defeat to him costing him his manager (Ted DiBiase).

It took time to turn the RingMaster into the Rattlesnake, to turn a happy-go-lucky-Samoan into "the People's Champion", to turn a snobby aristocrat into "The King of Kings, the GAME!!".

Let the new guys do their thing. They'll get it togehter in due season.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

He's already been in the ring. He and King were in a match where they got beat up by Nexus last year.

I think (or at least I HOPE) they'll pull a Kane here. They'll let King beat The Miz for the title at Elimination Chamber. The next night on RAW, either the GM will order or the Miz will goad Lawler into a re-match with Miz. In THAT match, Cole will help Miz get the title back, setting up a King v. Cole showdown at WrestleMania (and of course, Cena vs. Miz for the gold).

Think about it!! Look at how being WWE champion for a day hung around Kane's neck, throughout his career. I honestly don't know what's worse: Never winning the title or having it for just one day?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2011, 12:25:13 PM »
All the WWF did with Austin, Rock and HHH was just let them be themselves.  The crap gimmicks they handcuffed them to begin with didn't hold, but all 3 had so much charisma (course HHH got a HUGE rub hanging with HBK) and unless the WWE "creative" do the same thing with the new crop they will never know if they have anything or not.  I can't even tell what at least half the rosters "gimmick" is supposed to be anyway.  They look the same, wrestle the same, interview the same, etc....  very little variation....

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »

What you keep forgetting is that people once said THE EXACT SAME THING about Austin, Rock, and Helmsley. Did anyone in the mid-90s really think that that "The RingMaster", "Rocky Maivia", and the uber-snobbish Hunter Hearst Helmsley (curtsies and all) would revive the WWF and prove that there was life (and sports entertainment) after Hogan, Warrior, and Savage?

Did any of you see those three guys, eventually amassing nearly 30 World titles among themselves?

It took time to develop those guys, although some were thrust into the spotlight, such as Rock. I remember all the howls about how he didn't deserve to be Intercontinental Champion. That's how the "Rocky Sucks" and "Die, Rocky, Die!!" stuff began. And he beat Helmsley, who won the title mere months after being squashed by the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania 12.

As for Austin, he won King of the Ring, despite his earlier struggling and literally getting whipped by Savio Vega, especially with his last defeat to him costing him his manager (Ted DiBiase).

It took time to turn the RingMaster into the Rattlesnake, to turn a happy-go-lucky-Samoan into "the People's Champion", to turn a snobby aristocrat into "The King of Kings, the GAME!!".

Let the new guys do their thing. They'll get it togehter in due season.

Yes, i'm well aware of that. I don't need the history lesson. But either way, Austin & Rock were only quiet in their first year (1996) in the WWE. Then they both exploded after that. Miz, Morrison, Truth and the rest have been around for years already and have gone no where fast. They were given titles in the hopes that it would raise their bar but it hasn't. I'll watch old tapes of HHH vs The Rock or Austin vs Mankind anyday over the garbage poured on tv now from WWE.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
All the WWF did with Austin, Rock and HHH was just let them be themselves.  The crap gimmicks they handcuffed them to begin with didn't hold, but all 3 had so much charisma (course HHH got a HUGE rub hanging with HBK) and unless the WWE "creative" do the same thing with the new crop they will never know if they have anything or not.  I can't even tell what at least half the rosters "gimmick" is supposed to be anyway.  They look the same, wrestle the same, interview the same, etc....  very little variation....

Again, those same word were once said of Rock, Austin, and Helmsley, even after they blew up. Plus, the way I see, WWE (Smackdown, in particular) is in DIRE NEED of main-event-level HEELS.

That's why Del Rio, winning the Rumble, is HUGE. The fans can't stand him. As stated earlier, he has bits of Eddie Guerrro's latino heat but carries the "jerk" factor of JBL. Add his personal ring announcer and he's nearly as irritating as Mohammaed Hassan and Daivari were.

Yes, i'm well aware of that. I don't need the history lesson. But either way, Austin & Rock were only quiet in their first year (1996) in the WWE. Then they both exploded after that. Miz, Morrison, Truth and the rest have been around for years already and have gone no where fast. They were given titles in the hopes that it would raise their bar but it hasn't. I'll watch old tapes of HHH vs The Rock or Austin vs Mankind anyday over the garbage poured on tv now from WWE.

See my earlier reference to Del Rio. Plus, at least with Miz and Morrison, they've caught fire as of late. Morrison started to heat up, when they made him ECW champion (as a last-ditch replacement to Benoit). His feud with CM Punk got him rolling as a solo wrestler, laying "Johnny Nitro" to rest.

And, thanks to his feud with Sheamus, he's almost at main-event status. I said earlier that it's Cena vs. Miz at WrestleMania. But, after thinking it over, JoMO could win the Chamber. Put him and Miz (former friends and tag champs partners) together and it could get wild at WrestleMania. Their Falls-Count-Anywhere title match on RAW was terrific.

Plus, it fits my earlier statements about the best WrestleMania matches, having months to build some beef. In the case of Miz and Morrison, that has YEARS of history. The one thing stopping that is Cena's WrestleMania "streak" of title matches. Will WWE take him out of the title picture at the big dance?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
Again, those same word were once said of Rock, Austin, and Helmsley, even after they blew up. Plus, the way I see, WWE (Smackdown, in particular) is in DIRE NEED of main-event-level HEELS.

That's why Del Rio, winning the Rumble, is HUGE. The fans can't stand him. As stated earlier, he has bits of Eddie Guerrro's latino heat but carries the "jerk" factor of JBL. Add his personal ring announcer and he's nearly as irritating as Mohammaed Hassan and Daivari were.

Nah....I followed Austin in his Stunning Steve days with Pillman and he always had "it" WCW was just too dumb to use him.  The VKM saddled him with a shit gimmick and as soon as he got the chance he ran with it.
Rock....he was thrown into a spot and it was the fans who really created all the heat that eventually was used to......again......let him be himself....funny, cocky, etc...

HHH.... I never saw much in him, but he proved to be a damn hard worker.....who also benefited from being in DX when it was hot.

Like I said, maybe some of this current crop has something...I don't see it, but maybe they do....only way to find out is if creative allows them to, which I don't see happening in the near future.  All of these contrived gimmicks are shit.....like Arn said, keep your gimmick as close to who you are as possible.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
Nah....I followed Austin in his Stunning Steve days with Pillman and he always had "it" WCW was just too dumb to use him.  The VKM saddled him with a shit gimmick and as soon as he got the chance he ran with it.
Rock....he was thrown into a spot and it was the fans who really created all the heat that eventually was used to......again......let him be himself....funny, cocky, etc...

HHH.... I never saw much in him, but he proved to be a damn hard worker.....who also benefited from being in DX when it was hot.

Like I said, maybe some of this current crop has something...I don't see it, but maybe they do....only way to find out is if creative allows them to, which I don't see happening in the near future.  All of these contrived gimmicks are shit.....like Arn said, keep your gimmick as close to who you are as possible.

I probably won't watch enough to say for sure, but I think Del Rio could be the real deal.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »
I probably won't watch enough to say for sure, but I think Del Rio could be the real deal.

The tiny bit I caught, I would agree.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »
Nah....I followed Austin in his Stunning Steve days with Pillman and he always had "it" WCW was just too dumb to use him.  The VKM saddled him with a shit gimmick and as soon as he got the chance he ran with it.

Like I said, maybe some of this current crop has something...I don't see it, but maybe they do....only way to find out is if creative allows them to, which I don't see happening in the near future.  All of these contrived gimmicks are shit.....like Arn said, keep your gimmick as close to who you are as possible.

WCW was too dumb to use a lot of guys. But, to McMahon's credit, he got a lot of his characters right, most notably Diesel, Razor Ramon, and especially The Undertaker. Those gimmicks (especially for 'Taker) worked like magic.

When Austin started as the RingMaster, he was quite vocal, similar to his "Rattlesnake" persona. Then, he got silent when he became "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, with "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase, doing his talking for him. Austin clammed up and became almost cyborg-like.

In fact, he didn't really take off, until he lost that second Carribean Strap Match (and as a result, DiBiase had to leave the WWF).

With Vince, it's feast or famine as far as gimmicks are concerned.