Author Topic: Barack Obama braces for Jon Huntsman 2012 bid (BREAKING - HUNTSMAN RESIGNS)  (Read 1313 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
The White House expects Jon Huntsman, the U.S. Ambassador to China, to resign his post this spring to explore a bid for the Republican presidential nomination, top Democrats said.

GOP allies of Huntsman have already begun laying plans for a quick-start campaign should the former Utah governor decide to enter the ill-defined Republican field.

While Huntsman has no direct involvement in it, a group of operatives that could eventually comprise his strategy team has set up an entity called “Horizon PAC” to serve as a placeholder for his political apparatus.

The PAC will be run by Susie Wiles, a Florida-based Republican strategist who recently managed the campaign of newly-inaugurated Gov. Rick Scott.

Huntsman has avoided publicly discussing the possibility of a bid against the president who appointed him, but he’s sending signals that make clear he’s serious about a run now – not in 2016, when many top officials in both the GOP and the White House assumed he’d run. (See: Huntsman keeps his options open)

Over the holidays, the ex-governor met with Sen. John McCain, whose 2008 presidential run Huntsman backed early on. In a discussion with the senator, who is the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, about a variety of issues, Huntsman made plain that he was eyeing a White House campaign in the near term, according to a source close to the senator.  

A Republican briefed on plans for the political action committee said Huntsman’s final decision on whether to run is expected in June or July. (See: The early-state scramble)

His ambitions have been very much noted in the West Wing. And for public consumption, Obama and his top aides have responded by poking fun at the possibility.

“I couldn’t be happier with the ambassador’s service, and I’m sure he will be very successful in whatever endeavors he chooses in the future,” Obama said of Huntsman at a White House press conference earlier this month with Chinese President Hu Jintao and the ambassador himself. “And I’m sure that him having worked so well with me will be a great asset in any Republican primary.”

At an off-the-record dinner Saturday night, at which Huntsman was also present, White House Chief of Staff William Daley kept up the mockery.

“It’s also good to see Jon Huntsman, our ambassador to China,” Daley said, according to a source in the room. “Or as we call him around the White House: the Manchurian Candidate. I want Jon to know that the president has no hard feelings. In fact, he just did an interview with the Tea Party Express saying how integral he has been to the success of the Obama administration.”

For all their quips, Obama officials are a tad irritated at the barely-veiled presidential moves of their own ambassador in one of the most important countries in the world.

But the appointment of Huntsman was, in the first place, unmistakably political. With senior Obama advisers openly fretting about the prospect of facing off against a telegenic, wealthy, center-right Republican, shipping him off to Beijing was hailed as a savvy play.

No way, the assumption went, could he somehow return stateside and capture his party’s nomination after serving in the Obama administration.

Now, as the 2012 GOP primary slowly begins, that seems to be the central question hanging over a potential Huntsman run.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Barack Obama braces for Jon Huntsman 2012 bid
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
Anybody but barry. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Obama seems pretty scared of this guy. I don't really know anything about him but a quick glance at his wiki looks promising.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:23:39 AM »
HUntsman just resigned his position.... sent obama his resignation letter ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Obama is going to leave a foreign policy catastrophe for the next president.  Not to mention every thing else.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Jon M. Huntsman Jr., the U.S. ambassador to China, sent a resignation letter to President Barack Obama on Monday, the White House said. Huntsman now is likely to explore a Republican presidential bid, according to supporters.

In a letter hand-delivered to the White House, the former Utah governor said that he wants to return to the United States by May. The letter thanks Obama for the opportunity to serve the country and praises the U.S. embassy staff in Beijing.

If Huntsman won the GOP nomination, he would be challenging the reelection of his former boss. White House officials are furious at what they consider an audacious betrayal, but know that any public criticism would be likely to benefit Huntsman if he enters the primaries.

Huntsman boasts the most foreign policy experience of any of the likely GOP candidates, and would be a formidable entry to the unformed GOP field. He had a fiscally conservative record as governor, opposes abortion and is a strong supporter of gun owners’ rights.

The ambassador has moderate views on gay rights and the environment, which would be an asset in a general election but could be a hurdle in the primaries. In a campaign, Huntsman could be expected to point out that he has created jobs in both the private and public sectors.

Huntsman, 50, resigned his governorship in 2009 after Obama named him to the Beijing post. The move was seen as a coup by Obama’s political team, neutralizing a potential opponent.

He may form an exploratory committee this spring, with a final decision expected by summer. Allies have begun building the nucleus of a potential campaign.

Huntsman plans to live at a home he purchased in the Kalorama neighborhood of Northwest Washington. He also maintains a house in Salt Lake City.

In December, Huntsman told Newsweek: “You know, I’m really focused on what we’re doing in our current position. … But we won’t do this forever, and I think we may have one final run left in our bones.”

On Saturday night, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley joked about the awkward situation during remarks to the Alfalfa Club's black-tie dinner. With Huntsman listening from the end of the head table, Daley said: “I believe Jon Huntsman is here this evening. He’s our ambassador to China – or as we call him at the White House, the Manchurian candidate. I want Jon to know that the president has no hard feelings. In fact, he just did an interview with the Tea Party Express saying how integral he has been to the success of the Obama administration."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48533.html#ixzz1Chr9kwnS

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/48533.html#ixzz1Chr28fMD

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Obama is going to leave a foreign policy catastrophe for the next president.  Not to mention every thing else.   

That gives Huntsman the ability to play off his ambassador position and the experience it gave him.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
That gives Huntsman the ability to play off his ambassador position and the experience it gave him.

Yes.  When romney talks about china, it's the jobs he sent there in 97-2002.  When palin talks about china, it's total theory of what she's read on her screen.  huck?  How does god feel about china.  Even barbour, as governor down south, didn't deal with em much.

In a nation of voters completely financed by chinese loans to buy chinese goods... this is a guy who delivers total credibility on the topic of int'l finance.  If he can hold a room, make people feel good, and avoid losing his cool (think romney and rudy scream LIB! at each other in 2007)...

Huntsman might just be the guy.  And the fact Obama is working so hard to connect himself to Huntsy speaks volumes.  He's not taking shots at Palin or Romney... he's firing insults at Hunts.  Says a lot!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
He got great experience, but absent some military conflict between now and next summer, China is not going to be a significant issue in the 2012 election.  It will still primarily be about the economy, Obamacare, taxes, and probably Afghanistan. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I really could care less - Huntsman, Trump, Madoff, Van Der Sloot, Peterson, OJ, Ronald McDonald, Sponge Bob, William Hong, anybody would be better than this piece of communist/islamist trash we have in office now.   

BTW - FUCK YOU to whoever still supports this admn.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Barack Obama braces for Jon Huntsman 2012 bid (BREAKING - HUNTSMAN RESIGNS)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
He got great experience, but absent some military conflict between now and next summer, China is not going to be a significant issue in the 2012 election.  It will still primarily be about the economy, Obamacare, taxes, and probably Afghanistan. 

We don't know huntsman's positions on some of these - being in china means he hasn't suffered from gaffes like other potentials. 

So he can choose the best positions now :)

And he was pretty conservative and finaicially responsible as gov.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
We don't know huntsman's positions on some of these - being in china means he hasn't suffered from gaffes like other potentials. 

He could have had tourist sex with youths in Thailand and I would vote for him over ObaMadoff.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
I really could care less - Huntsman, Trump, Madoff, Van Der Sloot, Peterson, OJ, Ronald McDonald, Sponge Bob, William Hong, anybody would be better than this piece of communist/islamist trash we have in office now.   

BTW - FUCK YOU to whoever still supports this admn.     

BTW fuck you you anti-american traitor.  Delete your account like you promised b*tch
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:06 AM »
BTW fuck you you anti-american traitor.  Delete your account like you promised b*tch

Ha ha ha-  yeah Hope & Change you asshole:

1.  for Goldman Sachs
2.  AIG
3.  Billy Tauzin and he Drug Companies
4.  ACORN
5.  SEIU
6.  GE
7.  JP Morgan

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

No legitimate contender has had gaffes that will doom their candidacy.  Just pointing you are placing too much importance on his China experience.  It helps him, but that will be a small part of his campaign, if he runs. 

Isn't this the one who supported the (or a) stimulus? 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
Hey 240, Wanna make some stock picks for me?  :)
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
fantastic, another mormon ::)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
fantastic, another mormon ::)
you ever notice that mormon chicks are generally pretty good looking?

i worked with a mormon guy way back when and this dude was about as fun to be around as watching paint dry and short and fat. He was a good enough guy but just dull as shit and not what most girls would consider good looking. He was mormon and his wife came up to work one day...DAYUM!!! LOL I mean it was one of those WTF are you doing with this guy? moments...

known a few others in my life females that is and they have all been pretty girls

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
Mormons can be a bit on the creepy WTF side but I guess he's not that bad, he did legalize homebrewing in Utah. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Don't know if it even matters any more tbh.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
Hey 240, Wanna make some stock picks for me?  :)

yeah, not many saw this dude coming.