Author Topic: Best guitar solo ever...  (Read 18731 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Re: Best guitar solo ever...
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »
Here is a simple fact. If something is popular, it's generally worthless garbage due to the fact the general public is simple minded and lazy. They don't want to put in the effort it takes to understand and appreciate complex art forms, and prefer simplistic tripe instead as it takes less brain power.

The best music generally goes unheard, or heard and appreciated by few for the most part.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
LOL you've got to be kidding.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
So are you saying that someone who has writing talent can make some decent cash selling their lyrics to make a song? I've got decent writing talent, but zero musical talent. Yeah, I've written lots of lyrics, but I'm not sure that they could be transformed into a song.

What I'm saying is that there's a wide gulf between being able to play SOMEONE ELSE'S stuff, and creating your own. This silliness about "I could play Clapton's solos when I was 3 months old." Let's hear YOUR song that's as good as "Layla."

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 07:25:26 AM »

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »
How to blow Clapton out of the water in just over a minute.
Yes, I know, diffferent styles...even so.

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »

That comment was related to the thread title lad.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
That comment was related to the thread title lad.

Unless you were born in the 50's, 'lad' is rather inappropriate.  :)

PJim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
Unless you were born in the 50's, 'lad' is rather inappropriate.  :)

LOL, well most people use it where I'm from, guess we're backwards.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
LOL, well most people use it where I'm from, guess we're backwards.

LOL...it's not a common term here, but it's generally used when referring to a child or youth. It also means 'fellow, chap etc' though.  :)

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
He's right unless dyslexic .can write his own solos that also fit with the other instruments he could never be a pro. No offense I could listen to you rock that strat all day being a guitar player myself but technically your no better than I am, and you don't need to be. But you do need to be able to create world clahhss solos of your own t anything big.  G15

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Here is a simple fact. If something is popular, it's generally worthless garbage due to the fact the general public is simple minded and lazy. They don't want to put in the effort it takes to understand and appreciate complex art forms, and prefer simplistic tripe instead as it takes less brain power.

The best music generally goes unheard, or heard and appreciated by few for the most part.

Spot on again. That's what I'm trying to explain to my 12 year old right now!

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »
If you don't know Tommy Emmanuel, you don't know shit about guitar......

are you a Aussie ?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2011, 11:48:36 AM »
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

My point was that a guitar solo is different than composition. Some here picked up on that, others didn't. As usual, the context of a subject gets skewed and twisted here "Oh so fucking easily..."

Can I write a song? Nobody here knows the answer to that.

Can I make a living at playing the guitar?

Do I possibly just teach guitar and not perform?

Am I capable of doing both?

Have I ever even considered trying to make a living at playing or teaching guitar?

Is it true, that all I am is a good copy cat of other people's original material while having "0" originality of my own?

Well, to tell you the truth, all you can gather from the videos is that I'm an O.K guitarist and that I'm playing three different cheap Fender Stratocasters.

I will let you all just 'wonder' about the rest.

I might be a Safety and Compliance director for a large trucking company.

I might own my own personal training business.

I might do professional computer graphics for movie making companies.

I might be bilingual and work in a government job.

It is what it is. I'm just a little jackass sitting around copying other peoples shit and then posting on Youtube hoping that somehow, someway, I become "magically" famous...

Now I can laugh (or cry) myself to sleep. Ha ha. Ja ja.

BTW, as long as it was 'gh15 approved' I mean, who really cares? I think there are a few blank stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame just waiting for me...

I may have just stepped on one at the corner of Hollywood and Cherokee... damn! Wait, I don't want my name stepped on by some rag head working in this P.O.S convenience store everyday... shit.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
the point is that this fella can bring his to a band or anything,,i talk only guiatr level performance,,the problem  for him is to find that eddie vedder,,kurt kobain,,and other equaly telented individual to take the all thing somewhere,,he can bring his own ,,listen to the level of playing its no amaturish,,no go find eddie vedder....lol music in general is not what it used to be,,today is all computer programing ,,you dont need to know shit,, but neverthe less he can be great studio guitarist ,,they get payed more than 50$ lol

gh15 approved
fallen angel

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »

Best cover version ever by miles.

The second solo that starts at 1'42" is my all time favourite.

There's that 1:42 again!!!  :o

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »
Robin Trower, one seriously ugly mother f ucker but he can make a stratocaster sing.
Love jamming to this tune on my midnight rides on my HD.

Trower is a mighty fine player, too.  I've seen him numerous times in concert.

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

My point was that a guitar solo is different than composition. Some here picked up on that, others didn't. As usual, the context of a subject gets skewed and twisted here "Oh so fucking easily..."

Can I write a song? Nobody here knows the answer to that.

Can I make a living at playing the guitar?

Do I possibly just teach guitar and not perform?

Am I capable of doing both?

Have I ever even considered trying to make a living at playing or teaching guitar?

Is it true, that all I am is a good copy cat of other people's original material while having "0" originality of my own?

Well, to tell you the truth, all you can gather from the videos is that I'm an O.K guitarist and that I'm playing three different cheap Fender Stratocasters.

I will let you all just 'wonder' about the rest.

I might be a Safety and Compliance director for a large trucking company.

I might own my own personal training business.

I might do professional computer graphics for movie making companies.

I might be bilingual and work in a government job.

It is what it is. I'm just a little jackass sitting around copying other peoples shit and then posting on Youtube hoping that somehow, someway, I become "magically" famous...

Now I can laugh (or cry) myself to sleep. Ha ha. Ja ja.

BTW, as long as it was 'gh15 approved' I mean, who really cares? I think there are a few blank stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame just waiting for me...

I may have just stepped on one at the corner of Hollywood and Cherokee... damn! Wait, I don't want my name stepped on by some rag head working in this P.O.S convenience store everyday... shit.

I disagree.  While some may not consider an improvised solo 'composed' b/c it's made up on the spot, most solos are 'composed'.  If you're sitting down to develop and practice a solo before it's performed, that's considered composition.  

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2011, 04:06:25 PM »
I disagree.  While some may not consider an improvised solo 'composed' b/c it's made up on the spot, most solos are 'composed'.  If you're sitting down to develop and practice a solo before it's performed, that's considered composition.  

Good point, but kind of "over the top" for a 'bodybuilding forum'

Had I posted these vids on a music forum under the topic of 'composition'--well, we could go on for days.

The fact of the matter is, I do write original music. I also have numerous people that write for me. They are not musicians. Some people are natural "lyricists" much like poets.

Now, if you can do that, and be able to put it to music that is catchy enough to sell, well then, you are a "composer" and may have the capability of becoming something.

Getting a contract and continually creating music that is attractive is something that only few bands can do.

The ones that do it for a lifetime, like the Stones, are just beyond words to me. How can someone write hit after hit for decades? They have a knack for it.

How many songs has Bob Dylan written for others that became their biggest hits?

My heart is not in music. I have no desire to be "famous" in the music world. Music is a hobby for me, just like bodybuilding, or anything else that I do.

If I had to be realistic and say: "I must make money at this in order to survive"- I wouldn't plant myself on the strip and hit up every producer I could find. I would simply open up my own studio and make a name for myself as a guitar teacher, much like Randy Rhoades did. That is where his heart was. Unfortunately he died before he could get back to his mom's store in Pasadena and start teaching again.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2011, 04:07:56 PM »
So are you saying that someone who has writing talent can make some decent cash selling their lyrics to make a song? I've got decent writing talent, but zero musical talent. Yeah, I've written lots of lyrics, but I'm not sure that they could be transformed into a song.

If what you do here with your dialect is your idea of "funny" ....I doubt you have much talent as a writer

heathen

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »

IMHO this is the best guitar solo ever laid down in a studio. Here's a little back story...

The group all dropped acid before they started recording. George Clinton(the leader of Funkadelic) told Eddie Hazel(R.I.P.) to play as if he just found out his mother died. So he proceeded to play the most emotional heart wrenching solo you're likely to ever hear. It wasn't rehearsed. It was recorded in 1 take.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Well, my writing talent many has to do with romantic "verses" and some haiku. Believe it or not, I've had many people tell me that I have very good writing talent, particularly with creating a "beautiful picture" with my words. Believe me, I really do hate to admit that I'm such a "romantic" guy. Here are some of my fav romantic lyrics, "Love soft as an easy chair, love fresh as the morning air. Oh, love let us share that tune I have found in you" from Evergreen by Barbara Striesand

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »
Well, my writing talent many has to do with romantic "verses" and some haiku. Believe it or not, I've had many people tell me that I have very good writing talent, particularly with creating a "beautiful picture" with my words. Believe me, I really do hate to admit that I'm such a "romantic" guy. Here are some of my fav romantic lyrics, "Love soft as an easy chair, love fresh as the morning air. Oh, love let us share that tune I have found in you" from Evergreen by Barbara Striesand

are you kidding me? that is some corny shit.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »
best solo ever.

bench