Author Topic: 2 thoughs I had on the Bones/Rua fight  (Read 1556 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
2 thoughs I had on the Bones/Rua fight
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »
Two non skillset intangibles to the fight:

1.  Rua hasn't been training for Bones up to this date.  However, Bones has been training for Rua, as he is a training partner of Evans.
----advantage Jones.

2.  There is plenty of tape of Rua in battles where his weaknesses have been exposed, etc.  Jones hasn't fought anyone good enough to expose anything on him.
----advantage Jones.

should be a great fight.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: 2 thoughs I had on the Bones/Rua fight
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
Rua has 10x the experience and has beaten several all time great fighters-- Jones has beaten Ryan Bader. - Advantage Rua

Rua has been training for Rashad, a mostly one dimensional wrestler-- Jones has unorthodox striking and a longer reach, but he is first and foremost a wrestler- The fact that Jones had been helping Rashad is questionable at best; He's been preparing for Ryan Bader and the fight with Shogun wasn't for 1.5 months anyway. I doubt he had been doing much preparing to the extent that he remebered or cared to remember anything about Shogun.-  Wash

It is impossible to find a similar athlete to train with to prepare for Jones- Advantage Jones

If Shogun is healthy, I don't see him losing this fight. He will find a way. Jones has met every step up in competition and surpassed expectations, but Shogun is a much much much much better fighter than Ryan Bader and he presents different challeneges than everyone else Jones has fought. Also, we have to remember that Jones is human. He's 23 years old, has been fighting for less than three years and after coming off of the biggest win of his career unexpectedly found out he is fighting for the title next month. That's a lot of pressure for anyone to handle.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »
Yeah, I agree with your points.

The pressure on Jones must be insane. 

I think Rua will try to take the fight to Jones standing.  On the ground anything can happen.  Rua's jiu jitzu is tops.  Jones?  Don't know yet.  Impressive choke on Bader though.  I actually think Jones will dominate on the ground. 

Rua does have a TON more experience though. 

It's all gonna come down to whether Jones crumbles if hit and how he reacts. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
The biggest challenge for Rua is going to be keeping the fight standing while avoiding Jones' long limbs and quick takedown ability. Rua is a much better striker and much faster on his feet-- but an 84+ inch reach is insane.

Jones has never really been on his back and I doubt Rua will be able to keep him there anyway-- However if Jones puts Rua on his back, the fight may end quickly.

We can break this fight down for weeks-- bottom line is that its going to be fun. I just hope Rua is healthy so we have a good fight.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
Jones has the reach and size advantage.  End of story.

Rua is also rusty and most likely will be headed for his third consecutive knee surgery after Jones demolishes him.

Great fight match-up. Much more excited about this fight than Rua vs. Rashad.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »
 Jones hasn't fought anyone good enough to expose anything on him.

more of a jones weakness than anything else

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
more of a jones weakness than anything else

I think you're missing the point.

There isn't any footage of Jones being beaten or manhandled etc.  It's like when Machida hadn't of lost any rounds in his career and no one had the blueprint yet.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
Im gonna go with Jones due to being a heavyweight fighting a LHW and being too tall, lanky and strong for Rua.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:49 AM »
Im gonna go with Jones due to being a heavyweight fighting a LHW and being too tall, lanky and strong for Rua.

I agree 100%.  Jones is a talented guy, but his reach and HW size while fighting in LHW is his main advantage.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
I agree 100%.  Jones is a talented guy, but his reach and HW size while fighting in LHW is his main advantage.

Yeah humongous advantage. Thats why theres weight classes lol. Bader looked like a 9th grader trying to fight a grown man and was folded up into a pretzel and submitted with relative ease. I believe most fights for Jones in the future will be effortless for that reason.