Author Topic: Why Small Business Isn't Hiring And Won't Be Hiring any time soon. (Great read)  (Read 1640 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
CBO did not include the DOC Fix in their analysis.   Not that it matters to Team KP.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
What statement did I make that was not true you trolling twat?   

What's wrong? Your little hope and change express off the tracks got you down? 

Mal beat me to it.

But don't forget all the doctors you knew that were going to quit their jobs.   ::)

The getting spit on incident.   ::)

Obama stating he liked high gas prices.   ::)

Obama intentionally.... on purpose.... blah blah blah....  ::)

People planning to riot in the streets.   ::)

and so forth....   Again, it is evident that all your whining is more about your own self loathing than it is about anything Obama has done.  I am surprised with all the time you spend on the internet (read : all fucking day long) you still get busted time and time again on simple shit that could have been avoided by either 1) fact checking or 2) waiting for the real story to come out instead of jumping on the Whine Wagon.

Anyone melting down 24 hours a day really has some mental issues.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
You got utterly wrecked on the gas prices thing. Do you really want us to bump that thread and expose your stupidity and ignorance again? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
You got utterly wrecked on the gas prices thing. Do you really want us to bump that thread and expose your stupidity and ignorance again? 
Hmmmm. I wonder which is worse........

You essentially posting lies, or him being ignorant ?

You're both fucked lol

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

and what did i utterly wreck you on?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
CBO did not include the DOC Fix in their analysis.   Not that it matters to Team KP.

We have to get something straight here: Is it "Team KP" or TK (with Kneepadder being a compound word)?

;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Don't know - maybe a few off statements here and there out of 45k? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
45k. Omg. You should win an award or something.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

Maybe a few off statements.. boy boy you couldnt cut on the team i coach.. when my players i tell them.. there is no "probably i could have done it better" or "maybe i could have done it this way"...As a man.. OWN IT.. "Yeah i fucked up... ill get better.." thats it.. own it. but i guess its a different breed of people.. its cool

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
as a man.. your words are your words.. they should always be consistant.. 10 or 10million posts.. they should all line up if they are coming from the same man.. now a woman/bitch on the other hand.. they change their minds like the wind blows..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

________________________ ________________________ _______

For small businesses, a hesitancy to hire (fearing taxes, discimination lawsuits)
Boston Globe ^ | February 14, 2011 | Megan Woolhouse

FRANKLIN — For the first time in years, Bill and Donna Olson, owners of a small contractor supply company, feel hopeful. Sales of power tools, ladders, and generators are up. More customers are visiting their showroom. Most important, nails — their business’s lifeblood — are selling again.

At Marathon Tool, the Olsons said hiring one counter clerk at $35,000 a year would require them to also pay $1,750 in state unemployment insurance premiums, $2,170 in federal payroll taxes, $583 for workers’ compensation insurance, and $280 for federal unemployment insurance. Just covering the salary would require them to sell about 17.5 million more nails; add the nonwage costs, and that’s another 2.4 million nails.

Costs are rising, too — which must also be considered in the hiring equation. Between 2009 and 2010, for example, Marathon tool’s state unemployment insurance costs jumped by $10,000 even as company sales plummeted 60 percent.

The Olsons are also bracing for another 40 percent increase in the spring as the state replenishes the fund that pays benefits. The state Senate recently approved freezing the rates this year to avoid such a big increase; the House has not taken action yet.

Donna Olson said she understands unemployment benefits are an important safety net for workers. But the anticipated costs make her rethink hiring.

“You’re hurting the people who should be the solution to the problem,’’ she said. “Anyone who thinks it doesn’t hurt small business is crazy.’’

Bill Olson started Marathon Tool in 1986 with a loan from a friend, buying nails manufactured in China and Korea and reselling them to New England contractors. Operating out of a sunroom in Olson’s Norfolk home, the company was a family affair. Donna Olson left her job as an elementary school teacher and helped build the business.

(Excerpt) Read more at boston.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It paid off. By 2006, Marathon Tool had a storefront and $4 million in annual sales. At their peak, they employed 17 full- and part-time workers. “We were humming right along,’’ Donna Olson said.

In general, hiring workers in the United States is expensive, especially compared with emerging competitors such as China and India. In Massachusetts, the costs are even higher.

Massachusetts has the highest labor costs of any state, according Moody’s Analytics, a forecasting firm in West Chester, Pa. The firm’s Cost of Doing Business index estimates that overall labor costs in Massachusetts are 14 percent above the national average.

“It’s certainly a problem for employers, and if it’s a problem for enough employers, it’s a problem for the public,’’ Northeastern University economics professor Alan Clayton-Matthews said. “For job growth, one of the things you need is competitive business costs. You need to be competitive.’’

Massachusetts experienced strong job growth in the first half of last year, but the economy slowed considerably in the second half, with the state shedding 2,100 jobs in December. While Massachusetts has added jobs faster than the nation as whole over the past year, it has historically lagged national job growth.

The recent recession hit the construction industry and Marathon Tool hard. Struggling to survive in 2008 and faced with rising health care costs, the Olsons eliminated health care coverage, offering employees a one-time payment of up to $5,000.

They also laid off workers for the first time. And the layoffs of those five employees came with a price tag. Much the way auto insurance rates rise after a crash, the Olsons’ unemployment insurance rates rose after the layoffs, tightening the financial squeeze.

But in the past three months, contractors have been buying more of the cases of nails that had gathered dust in the Olsons’ warehouse. The sale of each case — containing 4,000 nails — gives Donna Olson hope.

As demand has increased, the Olsons, like many other business owners, have increased the hours of existing employees, rather than take on the costs of hiring new ones. Their company recently started scheduling overtime for the first time.

Sitting in their office, warmed by a space heater, Donna Olson said that whenever sales pick up, costs do, too. There is little break from the strain of decisions affecting their livelihood and their employees.

And hiring new employees — as Obama’s recent speech urged — still feels like too much of a risk. Yes, she said, things are better, but only in a relative way: “We’re treading water instead of sinking.’’

Megan Woolhouse can be reached at mwoolhouse@globe.com.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____________

These people who run this tool store are more in tune with reality thn the assholes in DC.   

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

Please do. Because as it stands, the thread consisting of me asking you to verify your claim with actual proof where Obama stated he liked high gas prices and you did everything but.

So yes... if you want to revisit the scene of your constant back pedaling and excuse making go right ahead.  You still haven't posted a single link or proof where Obama said the words that you claim he said.