Author Topic: What do you guys want to happen with the US Postal Service?  (Read 2551 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
What do you guys want to happen with the US Postal Service?
« on: February 12, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
Do you want it abolished or what? What's the solution?  I've watched the local post office cut their staff and put in automated machines which I didn't want but I guess it saves money.  The rates they are held to are way fucking cheaper than Fed-ex and UPS.  What do you guys want to happen the USPS?  What exactly are they doing wrong in your opinion?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: What do you guys want to happen with the US Postal Service?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »
Do you want it abolished or what? What's the solution?  I've watched the local post office cut their staff and put in automated machines which I didn't want but I guess it saves money.  The rates they are held to are way fucking cheaper than Fed-ex and UPS.  What do you guys want to happen the USPS?  What exactly are they doing wrong in your opinion?

They need to cut delivery days and use more of the kiosks. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:52:16 AM »
I hate using those machines.  I've always liked going up and doing shit with a real person.  Is that bad?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
I hate using those machines.  I've always liked going up and doing shit with a real person.  Is that bad?

Where I am I prefer the kiosik because the lines are always flooded with people who dont speak english trying to do passports and other stupid shit.   

I saw one indian mofo a few weeks ago hand a laptop held together by duct tape to the clerk and say - "I want to ship". 

The clerk was like "WTF is that?" and probably thought it was a bomb.  lol.   Then you get some jackass with 10 certified mails who did not fill it out beforehand and holds up the line. 

We have a 24/7 kiosik and I can sent out my certifieds after hours without a problem or having to wait in line for 30 minutes behind the animals.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »

let them be allowed to make a profit and get rid of defined benefit pensions

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
let them be allowed to make a profit and get rid of defined benefit pensions
only if they are made to compete on level playing field and no longer associated with the US govt...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
only if they are made to compete on level playing field and no longer associated with the US govt...

Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, etc.. don't seem to have any problem with competing with the USPS

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
Fed Ex, UPS, DHL, etc.. don't seem to have any problem with competing with the USPS

I would like to know if they did a daily delivery for 1st class mail what the cost would be.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:34:34 AM »
Put Straw Man in charge of operating it until one of his postal employees goes crazy and shoots up Straws office with an illegally obtained AK47 that was sent through the mail.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I would like to know if they did a daily delivery for 1st class mail what the cost would be.   

good point

first class rates should be much higher too (and probably would be if the USPS wasn't mandated to be revenue neutral)

per the USPS annual report for 2009 here are the first class rates for the US as compared to a few other countries:

US:    44 cents
Canada:  47 cents
Great Britain:  64 cents
Germany:  77 cents
France:  78 cents
Japan: 83 cents
Norwary:  $ 1.25

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:45:51 AM »
Fed Ex, UPS don't have a gov committee dictating what they can charge for what they do.  If costs go up for the USPS they can and often do get denied the ability to raise prices for service while other companies can and do adjust as and when they need.  USPS has been kept artifically low by gov committe mandate for a long time and at the same time people complain what an utter failure they are.  Jesus, you can't have them both, you want to send shit cheap but you want to complain what a failure the USPS is?  In a way they are stuck in a spot of damed if you do and damed if you don't.

I'd like to keep the postal service around personally.  I know Fed-ex and the rest would love to see them gone but I'm for keeping them around.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
thread fixed for the fucking crybaby, I didn't even quote your retarded ass.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »
^^^^^
hahahhaha

I was going to complain about my post being deleted until that  ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
^^^^^
hahahhaha

I was going to complain about my post being deleted until that  ;D
oh yea, I killed all of that crybaby shit lol...  Nothing against you, it's just that there is no point to that reply after I killed all of the bullshit lol...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
oh yea, I killed all of that crybaby shit lol...  Nothing against you, it's just that there is no point to that reply after I killed all of the bullshit lol...
no worries

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 11:37:54 AM »

Fuck yeah.  Like taking your mail to Burger King to get sent.  Slow ass condescending fuckers that had - probably at the most - 8 hours of job training.

I print postage from home and do all my shipping from here or the drop box.  If it is something big or heavy, you can arrange a pick up at your house or office.

Standing in line = Teh Suck.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
Fuck yeah.  Like taking your mail to Burger King to get sent.  Slow ass condescending fuckers that had - probably at the most - 8 hours of job training.

I print postage from home and do all my shipping from here or the drop box.  If it is something big or heavy, you can arrange a pick up at your house or office.

Standing in line = Teh Suck.
I've watched people standing in line at the kiosks plenty of times.  I've also made it through the normal line before people using the automated bullshit.  And I have a good experience with the postal workers.  They have never been slow with me and always been very helpful.  

IF ANYTHING, WHEN LINES GET HELD UP, I'VE NOTICED WHAT HOLDS THEM UP is the dipshit people who come with their shit not ready to ship. I've watched that time and time again and you can't blame the postal workers for that.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »
You haven't encountered Postal workers in South Florida then.  If you think most people in line can't speak English, it seems most postal workers can't understand it.

If you only make the occasional 1-2 trips per month to the post office, then that is nothing.  But if you go regularly, why not just prepare everything at home and have them pick it up or drop it at the drop box on the side of the road?  That is what I do.  Whenever I come back from shooting a cruise trip or land vacation, I do all the photos here and simple print postage to stick on them and arrange a pick up from the USPS.com site.  Last thing I want to do is haul in 2000 individual CD mail pieces to the post office counter.

You even save a bit more from doing it at home too.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
e

if Obama said that, you would claim he was mismanaging the USPS and start a thread about how it was a conspiracy to put the USPS out of business in order to lay off employees and drive up the unemployment rate so as to sabotage the country

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
Ha ha ha.  Funny. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
You haven't encountered Postal workers in South Florida then.  If you think most people in line can't speak English, it seems most postal workers can't understand it.

If you only make the occasional 1-2 trips per month to the post office, then that is nothing.  But if you go regularly, why not just prepare everything at home and have them pick it up or drop it at the drop box on the side of the road?  That is what I do.  Whenever I come back from shooting a cruise trip or land vacation, I do all the photos here and simple print postage to stick on them and arrange a pick up from the USPS.com site.  Last thing I want to do is haul in 2000 individual CD mail pieces to the post office counter.

You even save a bit more from doing it at home too.
Recently I've had a break and not been going as much, but I usually go several times a week.  I was going often enough that I tried out the print it out yourself method.  I timed how long it took me to be done with it all and it was longer than doing it by hand and dropping it off.  I did it several times and each time it took longer to print out the crap than it took to write out a lable and drop it off. 

Maybe it's personal but it worked better for me to just do it the old way and drop the stuff off.  Also maybe my experience is different because I'm usually sending off 18 or so larger boxes, about 14 X 20 inches.  I can kick out the lables by hand way faster than dicking around with USPS online stuff.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
I am talking about printing the postage out at home.  That is where the time and $$ saving is.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 02:23:34 PM »
The post office near me is awful.  The clerks all seem like recovering dopers, underachieving Asians, whites who are stuck in the early 80's, and packed with people who make you feel you are in the DMV or welfare office.   

Maybe its different elsewhere, but not in NYC.   I try to avoid the place like the plague. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 02:26:56 PM »
I am talking about printing the postage out at home.  That is where the time and $$ saving is.
that's what I was talking about too.  I think it depends.  I found it not to be a saving but I'm sure there are others who have calculated different.  Maybe it just depends on what you're packing and where you're at.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 02:28:06 PM »
The post office near me is awful.  The clerks all seem like recovering dopers, underachieving Asians, whites who are stuck in the early 80's, and packed with people who make you feel you are in the DMV or welfare office.   

Maybe its different elsewhere, but not in NYC.   I try to avoid the place like the plague. 
yea, nothing like that in this area.