Author Topic: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.  (Read 27037 times)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
And dickhead Dr Chimps makes another antagonistic nasty post to me.
It's been, what, a year or two, but does it ever occur to you, Vince, that you always need to use invectives when you address me? Is this a tangent on your anger management issue?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
And dickhead Dr Chimps makes another antagonistic nasty post to me.

Every post you make is nasty and antagonistic you old bore.  You do nothing but insult people around here and pretend like you're better than everyone else for some unknown reason, and wonder why nobody likes you.  Get the fuck out.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
What a surprise. Navy coloured-poster Vince Basile has come out of nowhere to make yet another antagonistic post vis-a-vis Vince Goodrum. What a hypocrite.

I don't worry about Basile because every time he discusses anything exercise or fitness related, everyone can see that his ideas are ancient and out-dated.  The days of machine weights and gadgets are over with.  People are moving back to free weights and high intensity training and core conditioning.  

Its a whole new world and Basile is still living in the Jurassic period of it.
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2011, 07:27:48 PM »
It's been, what, a year or two, but does it ever occur to you, Vince, that you always need to use invectives when you address me? Is this a tangent on your anger management issue?

When the intelligent behave like dickheads can there be hope for anyone else? You need a punch in the nose not invectives and tangents.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »
When the intelligent behave like dickheads can there be hope for anyone else? You need a punch in the nose not invectives and tangents.

You need your stomach stapled, as well as your mouth and keyboard.

derek_the_natural

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »
Becile has  his place here....Sure he is a hypocrite, but who isn't?

We are all hypocrites in some way.

Becile adds a bit of depth and character to this place.  Yes i attack him. And yes i praise him....afterall, i am a hypocrite.

Bottom line, Vince is NOT going anywhere.  He has been weathering these storms at GB for years now.  He is thick-skinned and is not phased in the slightest by attacks on his character, family, hypertrophy theories and business interests.

And to all you bitches out there; if you don't like Basile then it is time you leave. Becile is here for long haul and that is  a good thing!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »

I don't worry about Basile because every time he discusses anything exercise or fitness related, everyone can see that his ideas are ancient and out-dated.  The days of machine weights and gadgets are over with.  People are moving back to free weights and high intensity training and core conditioning.  

Its a whole new world and Basile is still living in the Jurassic period of it.

I used to think Keith overdid things when he bagged Goodrum. Now I see how pissed off Goodrum must have made him. It is one thing to be reprimanded and quite another to be completely misunderstood by a nobody who is oblivious of what is going on and who has done bugger all in the irongame except dream and bullshit all day long.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
Most of you guys should be outside instead of posting on the internet. Here is a photo to help prepare you for summer and motivate you to train harder.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2011, 08:55:45 AM »
I used to think Keith overdid things when he bagged Goodrum. Now I see how pissed off Goodrum must have made him. It is one thing to be reprimanded and quite another to be completely misunderstood by a nobody who is oblivious of what is going on and who has done bugger all in the irongame except dream and bullshit all day long.

Say what you want about Keith but he's dead and his pile of ashes are out floating around in the Pacific Ocean with the whales and dolphins.  He was the last person to back you up in your useless tirades and theories and now you have no one you crusty old salt.

You can talk up your little contraption all you want but its been said and done. Body Solid makes an angled smith machine with all the bells and whistles for the fraction of the price of your pile of junk, is better built, and has a lifetime warranty from the company and even has more features and functions including a freeweight option.  But seriously Basile, you're need to realize that you're not relevent here no more, you have no friends here, you're not respected here, and you are simply the butt of everyone's joke.  You have an intertube of fat around your stomach and you spend your time photographing "young lads" and filming people's funerals.  You are no one and you won't even be a footnote in the archives of bodybuilding other the list of people that Arnold Schwartznegger laughed at.   

Now be gone and stop wasting the last of your years boring us to death with your bullocks because nobody gives a shit.... ::)     

A

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2011, 09:31:50 AM »
Could you Basile please invent these machines for me:

-A machine that mimicks natural stone lifting
-Axle deadlift machine
-Log press machine.

Thanks.  :)

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »
There is some confusion about training with machines. Some people don't believe they are useful and miss out on using good equipment. The angled Smith Machine allows users to duplicate the path used in squats, bench presses and other movements. This angle is about 10 degrees from the vertical.  Combine that benefit with the safety factor and you have equipment that can be used when training alone.

The handle on my Smith Machine is 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Machines that use Olympic bars are 1 1/8" across. Many machines have a counterweight which more or less eliminates the weight of the bar and so whatever weight you add is what you are lifting. Machines without counterweights seem heavier because you are lifting the bar plus bearing assemblies. On my machine the assembly plus bar weighs about 60 pounds.

When you do squats you do plenty of stabilizing on the machine. To think otherwise means you haven't used these machines.

I own a small gym and we do have an angled smith machine. It's vastly superior to the straight ones but unless you're catering to an injury, etc, it's by far more advantageous to do squats, presses, etc on equipment that offers less stability, thus requiring more from the lifter. The counter thought to that statement would be that it's fine for power or aerobic lifts where failure is a certainty and then to either precede it or follow it up with a movement requiring the aforementioned stability from the lifter

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
well. there are some machines that are better at "targeting" certain muscle for some people.. that is of no doubt.. i used numerous free weight movements for chest for the last 25 years.. my chest did not start to grow until i started using machines and found the right seat setting for my structure and started adding on the weight.. i can feel my pecs from start to finish using most of the hammer machines.. so yes, in some cases the machines have a advantage.. to think that only a massive physique can be built by using free weights is close minded and buying into the "hardcore" mentality that the mags tried to convey.. dorian used a combination of hammer and free weights and smiths machines.. did not hurt his build.. jays primary chest movement is hammer inclines.. so if ya feel machines more than by all means use the hell out of them..

This is 100% correct.  Dorian is a good example.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
Could you Basile please invent these machines for me:

-A machine that mimicks natural stone lifting
-Axle deadlift machine
-Log press machine.

Thanks.  :)

End of discussion

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »
Lifting logs, stones, and axles have no purchase in bodybuilding routines. Next question.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »
Lifting logs, stones, and axles have no purchase in bodybuilding routines. Next question.

You are very boring man.  >:( :)

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »

So then it wouldn't be a stretch to say you admit that the Smith machine offers little more than a safe way to achive simple muscle stimulation, and that an athlete would be far better off to base the majority of training around free weight movements and actual sport based movements with only a small portion being devoted to machine based training? .

Bar path, it is important..... .

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
You need your stomach stapled, as well as your mouth and keyboard.
lmao!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
I am saying that squats on an angled Smith machine or with free weights are equivalent.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
I am saying that squats on an angled Smith machine or with free weights are equivalent.
And you are wrong.

If you ever squatted in your 52 years of lifting

You would know this
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
I don't think my diet is as good as it should be.
a

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
I don't think my diet is as good as it should be.

Iggy sez: Add more smack and red meat.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Bodybuilders are slowly but surely embracing machines in their training. Some bodyparts require machines or at least some exercises used for those parts. When you see videos of the top guys training they use lots of equipment and rightly so. They know that it doesn't really matter how you put mechanical tension on a muscle as long as it is effective and intense. Hammer machines are used for chest training. Their one useful machine. Imagine training calves without machines?

The intelligent trainee recuits all manner of apparatus to assist training and make workouts effective. He is not limited by thoughtless muscleheads who have no original ideas and who probably can't comprehend ideas longer than one paragraph. Is it any wonder that supplement companies put ad after ad in muscle magazines? They clearly know the dumbbell population and survive on the ignorance of these hapless and very foolish knuckleheads.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
Bodybuilders are slowly but surely embracing machines in their training. Some bodyparts require machines or at least some exercises used for those parts. When you see videos of the top guys training they use lots of equipment and rightly so. They know that it doesn't really matter how you put mechanical tension on a muscle as long as it is effective and intense. Hammer machines are used for chest training. Their one useful machine. Imagine training calves without machines?

The intelligent trainee recuits all manner of apparatus to assist training and make workouts effective. He is not limited by thoughtless muscleheads who have no original ideas and who probably can't comprehend ideas longer than one paragraph. Is it any wonder that supplement companies put ad after ad in muscle magazines? They clearly know the dumbbell population and survive on the ignorance of these hapless and very foolish knuckleheads.

Training calves without machines???  Well, how about getting two dumbells and a wooden plank and stand on that plank with your heels hanging off.... ::)

A

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2011, 07:16:19 PM »

Training calves without machines???  Well, how about getting two dumbells and a wooden plank and stand on that plank with your heels hanging off.... ::)

How about walking up a flight of stairs and doing 10 bw calf raises off each step on the way up ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
I believe in machines and free weights but WTF do I know anyway